PDA

View Full Version : this might be a dumb question but..

mistreat
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
how do most of you feel about human hair extensions? such as the ones from manic panic http://www.manicpanic.com/human_glamstrips.html . iv been considering picking up a few of these and im wondering if that would not make me a vegetarian if i did. i know , might be a dumb question, but im wondering what anyone else's view on this is.:)

Lentil
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I think I would want to know more before I got them. I don't really think the important question is whether or not they are "vegetarian," but whether or not they are ethical. A few things I would be thinking about:

Who did the hair come from?

Were they compensated appropriately? What are some of the problems that might arise from financial compensation for human hair?

Did these people give consent to have their hair cut and sold, or were they able to give consent (could it have come from prisoners or children, who are unable to consent, for example)?

Are there issues with human hair being a scarce commodity? Is the use of human hair for fashion purposes making the costs prohibitive to someone who wants a wig due to alopecia, for example?

mistreat
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
ok, well i just sent an email too manic panic asking about where the hair from there glam hair extensions comes from. hopefully i,ll get a reply very soon.

The.Protist
08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Typically people with long hair sell it. Often it is women in India wanting a more modern look. I haven't heard anything alarming about the practice as of yet.

I'd be more concerned about eating the hair than wearing it:
http://www.veganscientist.com/2011/06/you-probably-are-cannibal.html

I suppose both are better than those feather hair things.
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/04/11/pm-rooster-feathers-prized-by-fishermen-are-now-popular-in-hair-salons/

quagga
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
You should rent Chris Rock's (yes, the comedian) documentary called Good Hair. He has a whole section on where human hair comes from for most hair extensions. It comes from a temple in India where women go to have their heads shaved as part of a ritual (sorry, I don't remember what the rituals are for. I think grieving is one of them.). Then he follows the production chain of how the hair is processed.
LINK: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213585/

Lentil
08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Here's a article with some ideas to consider: Why I'll never wear hair extensions again, by pop star Jamelia (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html)

Some of the examples in that article make me feel a little sketchy about it -- particularly the 13 year old girl, for some reason. It's definitely not a clear cut (haha..) issue, though.

mistreat
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
well, i still have not gotten a reply from manic panic. and from what iv read online , most people just grow there hair long and sell it. i find that article a little sketchy. so i don't really know how to reply to it honestly. if it is true, then that is really sad. but like i said, something feels a little flaky about the article. almost like it's a little exaggerated.

Lentil
08-04-2011, 12:18 PM
well, i still have not gotten a reply from manic panic. and from what iv read online , most people just grow there hair long and sell it. i find that article a little sketchy. so i don't really know how to reply to it honestly. if it is true, then that is really sad. but like i said, something feels a little flaky about the article. almost like it's a little exaggerated.

Probably because it's written by a "pop star." :) I agree that the article isn't the best, but there are some issues raised that deserve a closer look.

Mahk
08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
On a side note:

What should we boycott because we are concerned about "fair trade" and "slavery like" conditions? Coffee? Cheap T-shirts and underwear? Running Shoes? Bananas? Everything from China?

The list seems almost endless, so out of curiosity I once set out to see if I could intentionally dig up dirt on a ubiquitous product that I had up till then never heard anyone suggest as a product of concern. I randomly chose salt. Sure enough, after just a few minutes of Googling I found articles that backed all the same arguments we are bombarded with about why we shouldn't buy, say, chocolate/coca, unless it is labelled "fair trade".

My conclusion was that although the world is indeed a terrible place with many practices we find abhorrent, the majority of these suggested boycotts are nothing more than me being manipulated by some person or groups' pet peeve about some particular product.

Lentil
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about a boycott, so I'm not really sure where that's coming from.

Just because we don't have the time or energy to research and analyze every possible decision we make doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to make thoughtful and well-informed choices. mistreat posed an interesting question, and while I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for using human hair extensions, it does seem that there are some ethical issues to consider.

I suppose I should add that this is not a decision that I need to make for myself because I'm not remotely interested in hair extensions. I don't even know what to do with the hair I already have. :)

mistreat
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about a boycott, so I'm not really sure where that's coming from.

Just because we don't have the time or energy to research and analyze every possible decision we make doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to make thoughtful and well-informed choices. mistreat posed an interesting question, and while I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for using human hair extensions, it does seem that there are some ethical issues to consider.

I suppose I should add that this is not a decision that I need to make for myself because I'm not remotely interested in hair extensions. I don't even know what to do with the hair I already have. :) well i don't really think mahk was saying we that we shouldent make thoughtful and well infromed choices, i think she/he was just saying that we cant be perfect. :)

Mahk
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about a boycott, so I'm not really sure where that's coming from

I read your linked to Jamelia article's title, "Why I'll never wear hair extentions again" as "Why I'm boycotting hair extentions from now on".

Lentil
08-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I read your linked to Jamelia article's title, "Why I'll never wear hair extentions again" as "Why I'm boycotting hair extentions from now on".

Fair enough. I didn't mean to say I agree with her conclusion that human hair extensions are wrong, or that we should boycott them. I just thought the article had some interesting info about where the hair comes from.

mistreat
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
iv finanlly i got a reply from manic panic. and it was a little disappointing. :/.

The hair itself is imported from China. When we recieve it, it is just blonde hair. We dye the hair, cut them into strips and attach the clips.

Best regards,
The team at Manic Panic

the information they gave was not very useful. they didn't explain weather it was obtained ethnically or not.

Mahk
08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
How many blonde people are there in China? Sounds sketchy to me.

mistreat
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
that's what i was thinking :p

The.Protist
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM

They probably bleach it all together. The market at hot topic is for exotic colors, so they can just order the pre-bleached.

Lentil
08-06-2011, 01:50 PM
They probably bleach it all together. The market at hot topic is for exotic colors, so they can just order the pre-bleached.

This would be my guess too. They probably wash all of it before sending it out, so it wouldn't be too much extra effort to add a bleaching step.

It is disappointing that they didn't provide more details. I think whatever ethical issues there might be are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but I also think it makes sense to be a little more critical about purchases that have no practical purpose.

Lentil
08-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I just happened upon these and thought you might be interested, mistreat: Faux feather hair extensions (http://www.etsy.com/listing/76487099/feather-hair-extensions-4-pack-custom) -- they are synthetic and made to look like those feather hair extensions. Maybe a suitable synthetic alternative would be available for other styles of extensions? Or maybe you want to avoid synthetic?

mistreat
08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
sorry i haven't responded in so long. i was unexpectedly shipped away for 10 days. an thanks for the link for those synthetic feather extensions lentil:happy:. i think i might look into those when i get the chance.