PDA

View Full Version : Plant-Based Physician in Los Angles, CA

theplantrx.com
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi. My name is Jenna. I am a physician who advocates plant-based nutrition. As you might guess I adopted a plant-based diet for health and wellness reasons.

I wish I could say that my path to my current lifestyle was brought about as a result of my forward thinking and conscientious nature, but it was anything but. In fact, the whole concept of a plant-based diet was introduced to me by a dear friend who has nothing to do with medicine. Actually, he’s in finance. Out of the blue he asked my opinion on a book called “The China Study” and truth be told I had never heard of it. Embarrassed, I quickly set out to read it such that I could offer my “professional” opinion.

What I read was nothing short of astonishing to me. I was shocked. I didn’t think what I read could possibly be accurate. There was no way that if this were true and the data presented was correct that I could not know this. So, I looked for every conceivable way to discredit it. I checked the literature, references, talked to colleagues in superior positions at prestigious organizations and universities, even googled counter opinions… but as hard as I tried I could not refute the data.

Golden Globes 2009
I shared my findings with my friend who then told me he had been eating a completely plant-based diet for the last 30 days to “try it out” as Dr. Campbell had suggested in his book. So, I asked how he was doing, how he felt, etc. My curiosity was piqued! He was a 41-year-old male, thin, in great shape and presumably healthy in every way with no medical reason to even consider attempting this. Now, let me say this, one of the things I had always loved about him was his open-mindedness and willingness to embrace and try new things. It was his interest that inspired me to try it too.

Needless to say, I did change my diet, and I too have experienced those same positive changes and more. For example, I have struggled with severe IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) for years. When I would have an episode the pain would be so intense and excruciating that I would literally pass out because my body could not tolerate it. Since I adopted a no meat and dairy diet, I have not had one single episode! My cholesterol has dropped substantially (not that it was high in the first place) as well as all other markers indicative of disease (that I now believe to be) resultant from a typical “American Diet”. Also, I didn’t mind the 7 lb unintentional weight loss!

At that point I was only consuming plant-based nutrition and was healthier but I was bothered. I just couldn’t understand how or why all medical professionals could not know this. Why weren’t we trained in this? Why isn’t this the primary treatment protocol for heart disease, diabetes, etc. (I won’t even go into the implications regarding the data pointing to cancer prevention and other disease

Jenn & Macie (world's best dog!)
state prevention) This drove me to read more, learn more and try to determine where the ball was being dropped and why.

As I did so, I was introduced to more and more data substantiating the benefits on a plant-based diet (medically). I was able to elucidate the answers to the questions that were bothering me so much and I didn’t like the answers, not one bit. This led me to where I am today.

I went into medicine to make a difference and rarely have I felt that I have. My friends tell me that I’m always trying to save the world, so I look at this as my opportunity. Do I actually think that will happen? No, of course not, but I do know that I can make a difference.

Consequently, I have become involved in the effort of bringing awareness to the compelling and practically irrefutable evidence of the benefits a plant-based diet.

I do so by doing research on the health benefits of plant-based nutrition. Yes, a ton of research has already been done and published... so, you may wonder why I do it. I do so because it is one thing to read about a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine about a group of people, but it is quite another to see it for yourself. When my team and I do these studies we publish the results on my site/blog and the participants in the studies interact and interact via journaling/blogging and have all of their results published for transparency. They are real people just like you and I that you can communicate with. We are in the middle of one right now (just published our 30 day data onto the site) and are gearing up for another to begin in May or June.

I also do some private Plant-based nutrition/ diet coaching, but I only keep a few clients at a time . :happy:

Thanks for having me. I'm happy to be here. Jenna

Emiloid
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Welcome, Jenna! How exciting to be conducting that kind of research. I saw your other post asking for suggestions or interests, and I'll have to think about it before answering. In the meantime, welcome to PBP! :sunny: