PDA

View Full Version : Ainotna's Vegan Story

Ainotna
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello! My name is Antonia and am obviously new in these parts. I am slowly making my way towards being vegan.

I am currently a vegetarian. I used to be a vegetarian for many years as a child, but I had severe vitamin deficiencies for essentially "doing it wrong." I made the decision to eat meat again but it always made me feel disgusting and cruel. I recently made the switch again to vegetarianism, but it just isn't enough. I have replaced many of my normal foods with vegan alternatives and am learning more and more every day.

My family and friends are very supportive in my decision but are concerned about my health. I keep assuring them that I am taking all the necessary steps to make sure that I am healthy and happy. They don't seem to understand that being vegan means that I will be healthier than they are! Oh well. My closer friends and family have started to at least eat certified organic free range animals.

The most difficult challenge to making the change has been trying to go out to eat with friends and the price of food. I was amazed at how expensive being vegan can be. However, I love vegetables, rice, and pasta so the actual eating part has been very easy.

I found this website when searching for vegan makeup. I figured this was a good place to meet like-minded people and decided to become a member. I also am a blog writer so this is a good resource to find relative topics to talk about. Feel free to visit my blog:

venTREEloquism.net: speaking on behalf of the earth :)

Ainotna
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure what happened to my post.... I posted earlier and it didn't show up. :drool: I'm doing another one of these "just in case." A shorter one though!

I am currently a vegetarian transitioning to the vegan lifestyle. It's very hard as I am poor and there's not very many inexpensive options. Emotionally speaking, veganism isn't difficult for me to do because my favorite foods have always been vegetables and my favorite "people" have always been animals! :)

My fiancée is a meat-eater but he has at least transitioned to eating certified organic free range animals. He also supports whatever makes me happy, and if veganism makes me happy then so be it!

Anyway, thank you for this website. This place has already helped me a lot just by browsing the forums. Love love love it!

Emiloid
01-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Welcome, Ainotna! Er, Antonia?!? Sometimes it takes a while for the Vegan Stories to be approved and show up. We mods actually have to read them! I went ahead and merged your two stories to provide the whole picture. Let me know if you would like anything changed.

Anyway, glad to have you here. Welcome to VRF, and good luck with your path towards veganism!

KaliMama
01-07-2011, 12:25 AM
:daisy: Welcome, Ainotna! :daisy:

bekah-chan
01-07-2011, 12:40 AM
welcome to vrf ainotna :)

Miso Vegan
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi, Ainotna! Welcome to VRF. :sunny:

sitting_vegan
01-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Welcome!

VegeTexan
01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Welcome to VR.

Kimberlily1983
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Welcome, Ainotna! Here's a link to the ADA and Dietitians of Canada's position paper on vegetarian diets: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2003_ADA_position_paper.pdf

You could recommend it to your family or anyone else who's concerned, as it compares carnist (meat-including), lacto-ovo vegetarian, and vegan diets, and if you look at their section on health benefits, you'll see that vegan diets are clearly the way to go, showing more benefits than less strict vegetarian diets. :)

Raiem
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Welcome!!!

Ainotna
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Welcome, Ainotna! Er, Antonia?!? Sometimes it takes a while for the Vegan Stories to be approved and show up. We mods actually have to read them! I went ahead and merged your two stories to provide the whole picture. Let me know if you would like anything changed.

Anyway, glad to have you here. Welcome to VRF, and good luck with your path towards veganism!

Thank you! The first time I posted there was actually an error so I never got the message that I got after I posted the second time which was "posts will not be visible until approved." Then I felt like a dunce. haha!

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! :silly:

Edit: Oh and Ainotna = Antonia backwards :)

Ainotna
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Welcome, Ainotna! Here's a link to the ADA and Dietitians of Canada's position paper on vegetarian diets: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2003_ADA_position_paper.pdf

You could recommend it to your family or anyone else who's concerned, as it compares carnist (meat-including), lacto-ovo vegetarian, and vegan diets, and if you look at their section on health benefits, you'll see that vegan diets are clearly the way to go, showing more benefits than less strict vegetarian diets. :)

That is an excellent paper. Thank you so much for sharing that! I will definitely pass it along.