PDA

View Full Version : LiveKindly7's Vegan Tale

LiveKindly7
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess it all began when I was around 17. I made the decision, first, to stop eating meat. This was easy for me for a few years, then I read Diet for A New America (well, at least parts of it)--and decided to become vegan. Which I pretty much did in a day. We're talking, got rid of shoes and clothes, completely changed my diet, etc.
I remained vegan for around a year....I then went back to being vegetarian...and even slipped back into eating poultry for awhile. For the past 5 years or so I have eaten only seafood, as far as animal flesh goes. Then, very recently I was looking for information on the treatment of the animals in the movie Water for Elephants (to see if I could go see it) and came across Earthlings. I watched only the trailer to the film and was instantly sobbing. I didn't sleep for two days and I am still working up the nerve to watch the entire film, but I WILL watch it. I am so thankful that I came across this film. It really woke me up, made me realize that I was choosing to be ignorant and purposefully putting a fairy tale twist on the treatment of animals in our society today. I was/am embarrassed because I knew, 10 years ago I did my research, I saw these images and I advocated animal rights.
"Slipping" back into ignorance is no longer an option. I will remain a stout vegan for the remainder of my days. Now, I am working to educate my friends and family about society's dirty little secrets. My approach is not a hardcore, aggressive one, I look simply to inform and share. I am trying to make it "easy" for them to make choices that have a positive impact on the lives of animals.
As I am new again to the lifestyle I am working to update my repertoire of information to make sure I am making good choices. I joined VR to learn, share, support and be supported.

LiveKindly7:)

Emiloid
01-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Welcome, LiveKindly7! I was also influenced by Diet for a New America... I became sort-of-vegetarian at the time, but I also started favoring soymilk over cow milk, and that more or less stuck to this day. Anyway, I hope you like VRF... I know I do. See ya!

KaliMama
01-04-2011, 01:19 AM
:daisy: Welcome, LiveKindly7! :daisy:

sitting_vegan
01-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Welcome!

VegeTexan
01-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Welcome to VR.

Raiem
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Welcome!!!