PDA

View Full Version : Shaebug!

Lacykitten
02-22-2003, 10:59 AM
I don't know most of the names that folks have tossed out so far. I know I could pick a bunch of the big-name activists who I really admire. But there's one person I admire way more than anyone else.

Kelly's son, Shae. I mean, he's 4 and he's a big activist! He'll go up to people eating meat and tell them that it's not food but should be with it's mommy and daddy, not in their tummy. He adores animals and really tells people what he thinks. ;)

Plus, he's 4, it's so cute that people can't get mad (I don't think they could anyway!) and if someone that young can see that it's wrong to eat meat, I think he could influence a lot of people.

He's not quite vegan but.. for his age and the fact that most of what he does is his own choice - I say.. Shae, you're my hero!

shedonteatmeat
02-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Awwww ! :D So sweet!

Oh lace! Did I tell you Shae decided to stop eating cheese on his own? He asked for Soy Cheese instead of "icky meat cheese"... though the best thing we can find in town is soy cheese that has lactic acid in it, it's much better than straight cheese! We just melt it on top of noodles for mac-n-cheese and he loves it. He always checks when someone gives him something now, he'll be all "Is this meat-cheese? I only eat soy cheese" and if someone tries to defy him by saying that cheese isn't meat, he goes right back at them rambling on with "cheese comes from milk that belongs to the baby cows, not us. and the cheese makers are mean to cows and hurt them and make them dead..." he cracks me up. People think that I try to brainwash him, but honestly, all I do it answer him in kid-friendly ways when he asks questions (which he does 24/7, lmao)...I don't lie to him, but I don't give him more information than he can handle. It that makes any sense.
Anyway, getting closer to vegan! Still eats a few things occassionally that include milk ingredients, but he'd doing it on his terms and I'm down with that ;)

Lacykitten
02-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Thats SO awesome Kel! He just boggles my mind, he's so mature for his age, and really knows what's what! wow! :D

I admire him so much.. and you for letting him do it on his own. :D

misanthropy
02-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Kelly,

Have you looked into the "Uncheese Cookbook"? I have a copy but haven't tried any of the recipes. Blue/Dave says the recipes are good! It would probably be a lot tastier and cheaper to make your own "cheese". I just have to remember to get all the ingredients!

-- Ida :)

Lacykitten
02-22-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm looking for that book!

misanthropy
02-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Lacy,

I bought mine online actually from Indigo. I really need to try some recipes from it soon! You should be able to just call up Indigo or Chapters and ask them to order it if they don't have it in stock.

You did get that "cheese" cake recipe I sent you on the beta board, right?

P.S. Kelly, Shae sounds like such a great kid!

shedonteatmeat
02-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Hehe ;) thanks for all the Shae compliments Lacy & Ida! I have to agree, he is great! LOL!

Ida, I really should buy that book! I have heard great things about it! Can you tell me if the recipes seem complicated/time-consuming?? Or if they use hard-to-find ingredients alot? I hate buying books online when I have no clue if I'll actually *use* them... and I sure can't find good Vegan books in little ole Panama City! haha!

misanthropy
02-23-2003, 07:24 PM
The recipes look pretty easy. Lots of use of a blender. The common ingredients are easily found in a health food store too (agar flakes, tahini, nutritional yeast, nuts).

Kelly and Lacy, check your private messages!

Lacykitten
02-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Ida,

I DID get the recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for reminding me. :) I definately need to try it!

Thanks for the PM as well. :D