PDA

View Full Version : Danny`s Vegan Story

Danny M
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

How did I become vegan? I guess from a pretty young age (let`s say 13) I started hanging with a pretty left-wing alternative crowd so the idea of veganism and animal rights were not unknown to me. Being vegetarian pretty much seemed like the "normal" thing to do, I became vegetarian when I was around 14, the subject "animal rights", or anything related seemed settled, after all I was vegetarian :rolleyes:. For a long time I didn`t even think about going vegan, simply because I thought you can`t be healthy (and in good shape) on a vegan diet. I can remember a friend sending me a link to a vegan bodybuilding site (I`m not into bodybuilding) and I thougt it was real funny.
By now I know a lot better, that you can be healthy, in good shape as a vegan.

There`s no real vegan moment in my life, but I do remember very well a video scene on public television (in Germany, where I`m from) showing the slaughter of young male chickens. Workers shoveling piles of living chicks into the grinder, as if they were shoveling dirt or whatever.
Knowing you can "make veganism work" these pictures left quite an impression on me and I went vegan shortly after. For almost three years now.

VegeTexan
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Danny and welcome to VR.

Emiloid
11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Welcome to VRF! I remember being very affected by videos of male chicks being disposed of.... I know I saw videos before I was vegan, but I guess at the time I just didn't think I could do anything about it. It's good to remember how powerful the images can be, and that if viewed by the right person at the right time, they can really influence people.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you. See you around!

Miso Vegan
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Danny! Welcome to VRF. :sunny:

Danny M
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

@ Emiloid

It definitely wasn`t the first time I heard about it or even seen it on TV or video.
Until I did some serious research I could have sworn veganism was unhealthy and that misconception kept me from going vegan.

Raiem
11-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Welcome, Danny M

sitting_vegan
12-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Hello Danny and welcome!

tin can
12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Hey Danny, I've been to Freiburg a couple of times (very briefly), and liked it a lot. Nice to have you around. :)