PDA

View Full Version : my story

mumu311
11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't type very fast so I will keep things short :)

- Why did you become vegan? Was it a bunch of reasons or one major one...gradual or instant?

I have been an on and off vegetarian for years- the longest was for 3 years. I realized that the reason for not being able to stick to a vegetarian lifestyle was that I was doing it for the wrong reasons- weight-loss mostly. At the start of the new year, I spent a lot of time reflecting and reading about what it means to be a vegetarian. I realized that being a vegetarian was bigger than myself and my perceptions about what it means to live a peaceful life. This is my mantra now- "Living a peaceful life where I practice compassion and good karma with I choose to eat." I have been a vegetarian since Feb (when I finally gave up seafood)..

- When did you become vegan?

I chose to be a vegan when I learned how cruel and barbaric the dairy and egg industry is.. I want nothing to do with with them! I refuse to support this industry that has been stuffed down our throats! Everything fueled by dairy interest groups.. I am just upset to see so many "everyday" products include dairy.

- How has it affected relationships with friends, family, etc...?

I have great support with my choice but I wish I had someone to share my vegan lifestyle with.

- What challenges did /do you face and how you dealt/dealing with them?

It sometimes amazes me how hard people other than my relatives take MY decision to avoid dairy and eggs. They want to challenge me on my decision..

- What have you found easy/hard?

I found it ..rewarding to not have "blood on my hands" but also disheartening that there can never be a 100% vegan since animal products are used or helped create components of your car, plastic bags, sheet metal etc.. I realized that the best way to keep my sanity is to place boundaries on what I will and will not accept.
I am finding it heard to avoid wool and leather when it comes to shoes and winter wear since most good fitting designer wear includes wool.
I also realize that I can't simply throw away everything that is made of animal products from my house! I can't really afford to throw out everything and buy new vegan friendly furniture..

- What has brought you to VEgan Represent?

I found Vegan Represent while googling for vegan friendly pizza. I hope VR stays around for a very long time providing support to fellow Vegan noobs that are new to the lifestyle. I look forward to getting involved in the forums!

Emiloid
11-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Welcome, mumu311! I remember one of my biggest shocks when becoming vegan was how common animal products are in... well, everything. It's bizarre, and like you said, you just have to do your best.

Enjoy the forums!

Dugan
11-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Welcome!

VegeTexan
11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to VR.

Raiem
11-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Welcome! Glad you found us!

KaliMama
11-21-2010, 03:33 AM