PDA

View Full Version : Just got some bad news....

its_a_gas
07-03-2003, 08:33 PM
When I was 15, our family dog died. Right after she passed, I insisted that it was our duty to rescue a dog from a shelter. My father and I took a trip over to the local Humane Society. There I found a funny looking adolescent dog named "Ian". My whole family thought he was ugly, but I thought he was absolutely beautiful and I fell in love with him immediately. I knew that he had to come home with us. I hated the name "Ian" for a dog, so I changed his name to "Clancy".

When I left for college 3 years later, Clancy (who had always seen me as his best friend) became extremely close with my mother. When college was over and it was time to move out on my own, into my first apartment, I was planning on taking Clancy with me; however, by this point, he was pretty much the only positive thing in my mother's life (aside from me and my siblings, whom she doesn't get to see often). I realized that if I took Clancy away, it would break her heart and possibly his. I had to live my life without him.

I rarely see him these days, as I have a dog and no car. Because of these two factors, it's not easy for me to get out to my parents' house in the suburbs. I miss him terribly, especially now that he's 12 years old. He just had a tumor removed last week, and seems to be in good spirits. However.....

My mother called me this evening to tell me that Clancy has a very aggressive form of cancer. :bawling: I'm trying to get out there to see him one last time, but I'm so afraid that he's going to die before I can make it. My mom said he seems to be in good spirits most of the time and goes about his life as usual, but every once in a while she can tell that he's in pain.

I hate this part....waiting for the right time to say goodbye. I'm so scared that my family is going to let him go on too long. I don't want him to suffer. I wish to god I could be there to monitor him. The vet doesn't seem to think that he has a lot of time left, so it looks like this thing will progress rapidly. I'm so afraid of the thought of him suffering.

Sorry for the very long post. I don't find it easy to talk about these things with people, so I thought it would help to type out my feelings.

:cry:

Dandelion
07-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Oh that sucks.
I'm so sorry to hear that.
what's goin on these days!
sheesh
I hope Clancy doesn't suffer.
Go see him, hug him.

sheila
07-04-2003, 02:02 PM
That is so sad, I think your mother will probably know when it is time to let him go. It is the hardest thing in the world to loose a beloved pet like that. I hope you get to go see him soon.

Sheila

Rosemary
07-04-2003, 02:15 PM
I am so sorry to read about Clancy's illness.

jenzie
07-04-2003, 08:39 PM
I hope you're able to give him lots of hugs soon!

lotus_blue
07-04-2003, 11:24 PM
its_a_gas, I'm so sorry. I'll keep you and Clancy in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are able to see him soon.

its_a_gas
07-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks, everyone. There's a small chance that I might actually get to see him today. If my brother is able to drive from the suburbs to the city to pick up me and my dog, Mack, then I'll get to hang out with Clancy for a bit. So far, it doesn't look promising, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If I do get to go out there, I'm still trying to decide what I should do with Mack. The two of them are such good buddies. It might do Clancy some good to see him; on the other hand, Mack is so protective and concerned over his "big brother" that it might cause him too much stress to see him in ill health. Any time they've been together and Clancy hasn't been feeling well, Mack gets so upset. He just lays by him and whimpers, and refuses to sleep. He just wants to watch over him. It's one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

misanthropy
07-06-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know it's difficult for you. :cry:

I hope you have a good visit with him. :)

downwithapathy
07-06-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm incredibly sorry. :( My thoughts are with you AND Clancy.

herbi
07-06-2003, 08:44 PM
So sorry to hear about Clancy. Can he be given painkillers to help make him more comfortable? Anyway, I hope you find a way to get to see him again. :heart:

its_a_gas
07-06-2003, 09:21 PM
sigh.....I didn't get to see him yesterday, as my brother was not able to make it into the city. As of right now, it looks like the soonest I'll be able to make it out there will be next month. I'm trying like hell to get out there before that. I have a lot of friends that have offered to watch Mack while I go out to the burbs. I hate to say it, but they're kind of on the irresponsible side. I just can't trust them with a dog that is such a huge target of breed profiling, regardless of the fact that he's exceptionally well-behaved and non-aggressive; nor can I trust them to make sure to give him his medicine at the appropriate times, etc. If I had a car, this would be so much easier.

I'm trying....I really am. This totally breaks my heart so much that I can't be there right now. Even though he's with my mom right now, he's still my dog. :cry:

Moo2u
07-09-2003, 12:45 PM
i know how you feel...on that awful morning of ryes surgery they called us saying he was on life support and he had stopped breathing..then they called us again and said he had started again and would probably ok i know i went from the saddest feeling i ever had to the best ad then about 3 and a half minutes later they called and said he died and that was even more awful then before because i thought he would be ok im only 13 and i was crying like ...ugh it sounded terrible and was echoing through the house and when i last saw him i thought i would see him soon i thought he would be ok

its_a_gas
07-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I spoke to my mom today. She said yesterday Clancy was up to his old mischievous self - digging through the garbage, chasing the cats around, etc. Today, however, he won't go outside; nor will he eat or sleep. It's like every day he's either feeling really good or really awful.

Herbi, to answer your question....he is on painkillers. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they're working all that well.
:(

its_a_gas
07-14-2003, 01:30 PM
I got a message from my mom today. They just found another tumor on Clancy. I don't know anything more, unfortunately, as I can't seem to reach anyone. Poor guy. :cry:

misanthropy
07-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. :cry:

*hugs*

Vegit-8
07-14-2003, 03:56 PM
I feel sorry for both you and Clancy.
May peace and joy be with you both...in a right and proper way.
Vegit-8

its_a_gas
08-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Update: I'm going to see Clancy next weekend!!!! :D I've got the whole weekend off and my sister is going to dogsit for Mack, so that I can take a train out to the burbs and hang out with him. I'm so looking forward to seeing him. I can't wait. At the same time, however, this visit is going to be extremely tough. While he's actually doing quite well despite his condition, he's not the same active dog that he used to be. I'm also quite aware that this might be the last time I'll ever see him. :cry:

ugh.....this is so heartbreaking. I'm just going to try to enjoy my time with him as much as possible. I don't want the last time I see him to be a depressing experience, and this very well might be it.

Here's a picture I took of Clancy when he was still a puppy:

Clancy (http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20038153189698100509862.jpg)

Beanqueen
08-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Wow, what a handsome chap he is!! I know it's gonna be tough to see him in pain and knowing how ill he is but he will be happy to see you and you will be glad you've gone to see him.

Because of you insisting on getting a dog after your family dog died, Clancy has had a safe and happy life. What an amazing thing to be able to do for an animal, to see through your grief at losing one to see an opportunity to rescue another. That's amazing.

Sorry you and he are going through this, I hope the visit goes ok and Clancy remains as comfortable as possible from now on.

herbi
08-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Oh, he's a super-cutie! I'm glad you are going to get to spend some time with him.

misanthropy
08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm so glad you get to see him! :) :) :) I'm sure your visit will brighten up his day! *hugs*

jenzie
08-16-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm so happy for you that you're going to get to go and see Clancy! :D

I know it's a mixed big... happines at seeing him, saddness because of the circumstances... but I think you just being there will be good for you as well as him.

Aw, and what a handsome fellow. ;)

*hugs*

QrkyMoon
08-19-2003, 01:38 PM
What a cutie pie!!
Enjoy the trip... itll be rough b/c it very well may be the last time youll see him, but if you just think about that, hell know something is up and it will just upset him. So try to enjoy the then and there when youre w/ him and be sure to give him a big kiss for me :)

its_a_gas
02-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Clancy died this morning. I just got the news.

jenbizagogo
02-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Kel, I'm sooo sorry :cry:
**hugs**

Justitia
02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
:( So sorry, Kel :cry:

Let me know if there's anything you need.

misanthropy
02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
*hugs* :cry:

herbi
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
oh, I'm so sorry! :( And after you were just saying how much better he'd been feeling, too! Well, at least it's nice to know he had some good times at the end, and every dog would be lucky to be as loved as he was. *HUG!*

jenzie
02-17-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm sorry sorry. :cry:

*hugs*

its_a_gas
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm so thankful that he didn't suffer for too long. He was doing great all the way through this past Saturday; chasing the cats around, etc.

On Sunday evening, my sister called to tell me that he had a particularly tough day. He didn't eat anything and was having some trouble breathing. She felt so bad for him because he seemed so freaked out; however, she wasn't overly worried. She thought it was just a bad day and he'd be better in no time.

He was feeling even worse yesterday. My father couldn't get him to go outside. In fact, he wouldn't even move from the spot that he was laying in, so he had to put down some newspapers by him. He still wasn't eating, but had to take his liquid medicine, so my sister filled up a turkey baster with some broth and his medicine. After some prodding, she got him to take it down. His breathing was getting worse however, so my sister sat by his side all evening until she fell asleep. She woke up around 2am and he was actually a lot more responsive than he had been. He was drinking his water and his breathing seemed a lot better, so she went upstairs to bed. She came down around 6am this morning and found him dead.

As I mentioned, I'm grateful that he didn't suffer for very long and I'm so happy that we were able to provide a lifetime of love for an awesome doggie who almost met his doom 13 years ago at the Hammond, IN Humane Society.

I just really wish that I could have been there more. I miss him so much. :cry:

Beanqueen
02-18-2004, 04:16 AM
So sorry for your loss.

He was a lucky dog to have met you though.