PDA

View Full Version : deodorants and body odor

Pages : 1 [2]

gladcow
02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I use deodorant about once a week. tops. I just don't care if I stink, I guess. I just don't like putting junk on my body. No complaints, yet. :umm: :D

veganshawn
02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I use deodorant about once a week. tops. I just don't care if I stink, I guess. I just don't like putting junk on my body. No complaints, yet. :umm: :D

Jen's complaints have nothing to do with my body order :laugh:

Dugan
02-01-2008, 10:44 AM
I mostly do without, but I don't have a sweat-producing job in close proximity with other people. When I do bother, I use a crystal too.

Emiloid
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
i haven't used deodorant in years...and i haven't heard any complaints. i trust that my husband would tell me i smell like an onion patch if that should be the case :p

You're clearly not eating enough onion.

melt86
02-02-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't know if it is available in the US, but my partner and I have recently started using the Thursday Plantation deodorant. I am very active daily so need an anti-perspirant but this one has no aluminium still. my partner tried the Miessence organics one but got a terrible rash.

vegankitty
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
I use Kiss My Face liquid rock- i was using lavender but i got scented this time and it doesn't work as well.In the winter i sweat a lot on the subway what with the heat and my winter clothing. I'm gonna look for the one Sonja posted.

abbicus
02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I use the thai stone deordorant. You seriously can't skip it at all like you can with regular stuff!

With regards to body odor, I was eating a large amount of fenugreek once, and I started smelling like maple syrup and curry. When I sweat my armpits smelled sort of sweet. It was pretty wild.

vegankitty
03-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I think I've found the one. :heart:

http://www.evitamins.com/images/products/ESsented.jpg

earth science liken plant natural deodorant.

I haven't put it through the test, but it works well on lazy days. That's more than I can say for Nature's Gate or JASON. The constant I've found is that all of the natural deodorants that have worked for me contain calendula.

Ingredients: Infusion of Calendula, Sage, Goldenseal, Ginger, Arnica and Coriander Extracts in Propylene Glycol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Lichen Plant Extract, Chamomile Extract, Silica, Herbal Fragrance

I finally found this at a NFS and it worked well on the first two days I tried it.

KaliMama
04-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I just came across this recipe today. I am currently using a crystal, and I've used Liken in the past (loved it). But I love making my own anything, so I'm saving the recipe.

1 spray bottle
1/4 cup witch hazel extract
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1/2 cup mineral water
1 tsp vegetable glycerin
two drops lavender oil
three drops tea tree oil

* Step 1: Begin by pouring the water into the spray bottle and then adding the vegetable glycerin and and aloe vera gel. Shake vigorously until it is all blended together.
* Step 2: Next, add the witch hazel extract and the essential oils and shake again until the mixture is smooth. The lavender oil helps create a pleasant scent and it is also an antiseptic. The tea tree oil is also an antiseptic, an antibacterial and a fungus and germ fighter.
* Step 3: Spray one or two times under each arm and wait a few seconds for the mineral water to evaporate a little bit before dressing. Also, feel free to add an additional essential oil for a more potent fragrance.

Source (http://bellasugar.com/1519756).

bluedawg
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
i'ma pick me up some of that liken the next time i'm at the store.

mishka
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
KrishnaMama - after reading your post the other day, I decided to put a little witch hazel in a spray bottle and try that on its own as deodorant. It works! I didn't even add any of the other stuff!

veganshawn
04-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I just use a crystal once a day.

atouria
07-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I think I've found the one. :heart:

http://www.evitamins.com/images/products/ESsented.jpg

earth science liken plant natural deodorant.

I haven't put it through the test, but it works well on lazy days. That's more than I can say for Nature's Gate or JASON. The constant I've found is that all of the natural deodorants that have worked for me contain calendula.

Ingredients: Infusion of Calendula, Sage, Goldenseal, Ginger, Arnica and Coriander Extracts in Propylene Glycol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Lichen Plant Extract, Chamomile Extract, Silica, Herbal Fragrance

Dear Sonja,

I've been secretly thanking you every morning when I put on my earth science deodorant. I've been daydreaming about making a thread of gratitude dedicated to you. I've been yearning for the day that we can finally meet and I can hug you and let you smell my glorious pits. :silly: Ok, maybe that's a bit too far, lol.

Thank you SO much for sharing your experience with this deodorant. I bought it and LOVE it. I've been searching for the perfect deodorant since I was in high school. Deodorant was also the last unvegan version of a product that I still bought. I've been using this one for a few months now and I still love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

xoxo
atouria

Miso Vegan
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
That funny and cute. :)

I tried that one, and it did not work for me. But I still love the Lush AromaCreme, so to whomever mentioned it here, I owe you a Thank You note.

downwithapathy
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
:blush:!!! Thanks so much, autoria. :happy: I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I hate to think what I might smell like if I lived in Texas. :rolleyes:

When I first went vegan, I used Tom's of Maine with pretty mediocre results. One day I used spacehippy's Tom's in a scent I'd never tried before (calendula). It was perfect. No other natural deodorant (even other scents of Tom's) could compare. I decided it must be the calendula and sought out other deodorants with that ingredient. I found Lavilin. It didn't work for days as advertised, but it was extremely effective for one day. I found two other natural deodorants containing calendula. One was Earth Science. :heart: The other was Avalon's E Plus High C. Both had fantastic reviews, but I bought Earth Science because I generally prefer stick to roll-on. I love Earth Science a lot, but I might yet try E Plus High C. I'm curious!

herbi
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I still love the Lush AromaCreme, so to whomever mentioned it here, I owe you a Thank You note.

OK, I just read through the thread for kicks because I couldn't remember what I might have contributed, and this is making me laugh now because these are Miso's previous posts about the product that she "still loves"...

aromarant and others of their deodorants contain propylene glycol. :no:
aromacreme contains "perfume" (which means synthetic and usually contain endocrine disruptors, an can cause allergic reactions) which I do not like and is likely to make it too stinky for me, but I'll give it the nose test.

-----

Anyway, I bought the very expensive Aromacreme to have something to compare to as I formulate my copycat.
First, I checked the Aromacreme webpage and noticed that 3 of the 4 reviews on the front page (you can click for all 270+ reviews) mention that the users developed a horrid allergic reaction, sometimes fairly immediately and sometimes after several months of no problems.

So I plan to use it just until I get my own version going.

..... I got it home and it stinks to high heaven - of baby powder! I might as well be wearing Secret, Powder Fresh!

:laugh: Not that all of us don't have a change of heart now and then, and it has been a whole year after all, but skimming through all of those right after seeing the latest post where you say you love it just made me snicker. :)

Emiloid
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
I used Tom's of Main calendula, too! Actually, I'm still using up my last stick. I'll be switching next time now that Tom's of Maine is no longer independent. I'm hoping to try the Earth Science Liken Plant. :yes:

Miso Vegan
07-28-2008, 12:22 AM
:laugh: Not that all of us don't have a change of heart now and then, and it has been a whole year after all, but skimming through all of those right after seeing the latest post where you say you love it just made me snicker. :)

Ha! I guess I never actually posted in between then and now, that I decided I liked it and was too lazy to try to copy it. So, yeah, turns out I like it enough to overlook the "perfume" which isn't overpowering like I thought it would be - or perhaps my nose has just gotten accustomed to it?

mishka
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Sonja - thank you for posting about Earth Science Liken... I've seen it at my NFS and I will definitely pick it up. In the winter, I generally just use some essential oils on mah pits, but in the summer I need something more. My current deodorant (http://www.greenbeaver.com/img/img_lavenderDeo.jpg) fails about halfway through the day. Actually, this morning the boy and I had this conversation:

me (as we both reach for our deodorants at the same time): Hey - it's deodorant time! But only one of us is going to smell by the end of the day!
boy: you, right?
me: yeah.
boy: it's funny that on the package they show someone on a freezing cold mountain, not in a hot tropical place, like they're actually telling you that this is the only place the deodorant will work.

Sadly, the deodorant doesn't even work on an inactive office worker.

Emiloid
07-28-2008, 10:17 AM
That's pretty funny!

veganshawn
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't use anything and I normally don't smell or not enough that it is a big deal. I was using a deodorant stone for a while and it worked well but ever once in a while I would get a rash under my arm, so I stopped.

bluedawg
08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
i love the earth science liken too... i've been using it for a few months and it's great!

wedieindisgrace
08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
toms is owned by Colgate who test on animals,they just bought em out not to long ago !
but one reason for odor is when you wipe a deodorant stick you are just spreading germs and bacteria that thrives there , the best thing to do is use a spray wont have to worry about irritations or odor , and if you still do then you need some internal cleansing my friend!
cheers

gur
08-03-2008, 02:27 AM
i just bought the earth science liken tonight. will report back in the near future.

tin can
03-07-2009, 08:09 AM
i just bought the earth science liken tonight. will report back in the near future.

:brood:

I used to use Tom's of Maine, the calendula one, and that was working ok, but one day for some reason it started stinging like hell, and only got worse, so I stopped using it. I've also tried the Jason Tea Tree one, but that's pretty much useless. I found one that seemed to work great, Ice Guard (http://www.wellbeing-uk.com/IceGuardCrystalDeodorant.aspx), but the spray bottle it comes in (haven't found the other forms) gets clogged up after several days' use and I don't want to battle with that every day. Plus it seems to have ammonia which I gather is a no-no.

Since then I've been using a deodorant stone, and that is generally ok, except: 1. it has to be wet, which makes it difficult to use away from home; 2. easily dropped and shattered; 3. once it has worn down a little it gets rough and scratches my armpits, and 4. only effective on very mild-activity days. Certainly no use when doing anything moderately active, and even the trip across London to my violin lessons makes me feel self-consciously stinky when I get there.

So it's time to solve this once and for all! But I'm tired of trying product after product that just doesn't work. :sigh: And the stuff Sonja recommended isn't available here (that is always the case! Why can't these things be easier?)

I think I'm gonna try this (http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/9-stay-cool-deodorant-75ml.aspx), despite the enormous expense of it. :umm: I need something that works.

Calliope
03-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I've tried a bunch of different things, which for a long time were all just working 'ok'. I was using Lush deodorant (tried pretty much all of them...I liked the scent of aromacreme the best, but it was a pain to put on), but I often found that at the end of the day I was a little smelly, nothing too noticeable, but it bothered me. (I even tried layering the deodorants, because I kept buying different kinds, but that didn't help either.

Lately I've been using one of those deodorant stone things, which works pretty well on a normal day, but not when I'm being all active. So now I layer it with Kiss my Face deodorant, and that's been working really well.

downwithapathy
03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I hate Kiss My Face deodorant. HATE it. I bought some at my old workplace one day when I'd forgotten to put on deodorant before leaving home. I keep using it because I don't want it to go to waste. I swear I end up smelling worse than if I'd used nothing at all. Lately, I've been using it as my early morning pre-dog walk deodorant. I've tried to give it to friends, but they aren't exactly thrilled by my reviews. :)

ETA: You know what brand is worse than Kiss My Face? JASON. :) That's all.

Emiloid
03-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Word, Sonja. I just quit trying to use my Jason deodorant. Like your experience with Kiss My Face, I think it was somehow worse than using nothing. Yuck! It's like it didn't work with my body chemistry or something. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I forgot to try the Liken stuff, and when I got some more I went for the old standby, Tom's of Maine, because I know it works. I should have at least bought another brand to try it out so I can stop using Tom's. However, I definitely needed something reliable since I can't just run down to the store if my deodorant doesn't work. :umm:

Calliope
03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Weird how people's experiences are so different. I can use the kiss my face stuff, and it'll last me all day, and through the next day's yoga practice. I've had very little luck with pretty much all the other brands I've tried.

nauthiz
03-08-2009, 12:17 AM
A while back I discovered that saline solution (like for contacts) will work as a deodorant in a pinch. Same kind of idea as the deodorant stones, I guess.

downwithapathy
03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Also, milk of magnesia. Just FYI. I've said it before.

tin can
03-08-2009, 01:41 AM
I definitely needed something reliable since I can't just run down to the store if my deodorant doesn't work. :umm:

That's what you call a vicious cycle!

Also, milk of magnesia. Just FYI. I've said it before.

Sounds...messy! Maybe I should get that and a paint-brush as well for applying with. :p

veganshawn
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't use any thing.

hebejeebies
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I use one of those mineral salt sprays and I exfoliate my pits. Seems to work.

KaliMama
04-25-2009, 02:10 AM
How to prevent body odor

Dilemma: Soap keeps you feeling fresh for a few minutes out of the shower, and deodorant masks the smell for a few hours thereafter, but by the end of the day, your armpits smell like a funky mix of sweat, dust, and fake baby powder.

Solution: A natural deodorant made of baking soda and lemon juice works better than almost any over-the-counter stick. Just dust some baking soda on your pits, rub some lemon juice on top, and pat dry for natural-stink-free crevices.

Why this works: Baking soda absorbs moisture and kills odor-causing bacteria, and the acidity of the lemon changes the pH balance of your skin. Because bacteria don't do so hot in high acidity, they tend not to proliferate in a lemony environment.

From this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811862151?ie=UTF8&tag=neatorama-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0811862151).

tin can
04-25-2009, 04:20 AM
My god, that sounds agonising!

nauthiz
04-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I think I'll stick with potassium alum. It's been working just fine and it won't result in me spending the whole summer being mobbed by bees.

La Végétalienne
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
You really think bees would be more attracted to lemon than any other scents? I'm intrigued. Anyone else want to go first? On the other hand, I'm almost out of deo. but I do have plenty of baking soda and lemon juice...

nauthiz
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
It's not the lemon scent, it's the sugar. Bees love sugary stuff.

Emiloid
04-30-2009, 01:18 AM
This seems like it would get all foamy.... I guess you'd have to wait for the science-fair volcano to stop reacting before you could pat yourself dry.

Hmmm. I hope that made sense to someone. :uhoh:

MissLovely
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
yeah it's the same formula i use to clean my drains.

nauthiz
04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Good for removing rust, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oatGVdtPMS8

mishka
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I really do find that I stink a lot less at the end of the day if I use just either perfume oil (Attar Bazaar Vanilla) or essential oil (tea tree, lavender or jasmine) on my pits instead of deodorant. I dab a drop per pit on my fingertips and rub it in. The scent doesn't linger far enough to offend others (I know lots of people are sensitive to lavender) since I use so little, but that little bit goes a long way. You just pretty much have to get used to dampness. Which I have.

sitting_vegan
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
The crystal salt rock has been working well for me lately.

Emiloid
05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I just had to say that I'm sure the baking soda and lemon thing works... it just tickled my funny bone to think about the chemical reaction, and in one's armpits no less! :)

gur
05-07-2009, 12:37 AM
i was tempted to try the baking soda/lemon thang this week when i ran out of my usual antiperspirant but i remembered that i'd bought that "liken plant" deodorant about a year ago. i've been too scaredy cat to try it (paranoid about allergic reactions). anyhoo, i'm on day 3 of using it and so far it's okay. i'm not quite as fresh at the end of the day as i usually am but i'm not knocking anyone over either. ;) i'll report back with more results after this weekend as i'll be swingin' hammers and lifting heavy things.

Calliope
05-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah....someone else try the lemon thing and let us know. I'm askeered.

MissLovely
05-07-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm a Big Old Hippie. So I use this stuff. I totally effing lurve it. No. Really. Half of my coworkers also use it now. It's the exact right amount of patchouli to wear.
http://www.goodhumans.com/Images/Products/peaceful___1244_medium.jpg

nauthiz
05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
In college, I used to hate that stoner who would put patchouli oil in her laundry. Because sometimes I would be the next one to use the machine. :yuck:

Not that that has anything to do with deodorant, it just reminded me.

gladcow
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
mmmmm, patchouli :drool:

I love it, I can't help myself.

gur
05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
i like patchouli in very small doses. but i like any kind of scent to be very faint else i break out in hives. or massive headache.

Calliope
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Ooooh! I've never seen any patchouli kiss my face!! I've only seen unscented, lavender (which I'm not really a fan of), and one that's called 'summer' or something.

bluedawg
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
i'm very intrigued by the liquid rock stuff. i might have to give it a go, just because. i still like the liken plant thingie, though, and use it every day.

Calliope
05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Here's a random question about body odor. I've been using natural product deodorants exclusively for over a year now. A couple brands did nothing for me, a few were ok, and now I've found some that seem to work pretty well. (I've recently been doing mishka's suggestion of just essential oils, and that's been working well.)

The weird thing is, even when my deodorant of choice is working well, I'll sometimes have a little bit of body odor the next morning, or the end of the day, if I've been really active. (Ok, that part isn't weird...I realize that no deodorant works indefinitely.) What is weird is that 9 times out of 10, it's only my left armpit that has any odor. The right one is totally fine. Do any of the rest of you have issues with the uneven distribution of body odors?

grog
05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
are you left handed?

Calliope
05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Actually yes...why would that make a difference?

grog
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
more work equals more sweat.

Calliope
05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah I guess so, it just doesn't seem like my left arm does that much more work, unless I have to write an essay or something, which doesn't happen on most days. I suppose it's still my dominant arm for things other than writing.

Cool. :) That explains it.

bekah-chan
05-12-2009, 09:28 PM
i'd actually been wondering about that too.. i notice it on my right and i am right handed. so that does make sense!

Dugan
05-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Different parts of your body can have different sweat patterns and different odors too. An exercise in advanced obedience work with dogs is scent discrimination (http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1121). Many people are careful to handle the scent object with only one hand ever to ensure their scent on the object remains as similar as possible.

TressaLou
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah I guess so, it just doesn't seem like my left arm does that much more work, unless I have to write an essay or something, which doesn't happen on most days. I suppose it's still my dominant arm for things other than writing.

Cool. :) That explains it.

I notice an odor on the left, although I'm right handed. What the heck does that mean?

Emiloid
05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe you're airing the right armpit out more often?!? The left might be stuck down in disuse, sweating without reprieve. :p

TressaLou
05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Ha! I guess that could be the reason.

Dugan
05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Must be the pregnancy hormones ;)

panthera
05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Wait, isn't baking soda basic? Is that why it goes on before the lemon juice, because you want the end condition to be acidic? And is the baking soda supposed to dry out the area so that things won't be able to live in any pockets of water that might remain if you just applied lemon juice?

I really do find that I stink a lot less at the end of the day if I use just either perfume oil (Attar Bazaar Vanilla) or essential oil (tea tree, lavender or jasmine) on my pits instead of deodorant.

Doesn't that stain your clothes? It seems to me that essential oils stain white clothes, at least.

In college, I used to hate that stoner who would put patchouli oil in her laundry. Because sometimes I would be the next one to use the machine. :yuck:

I can't stand patchouli. In fact, I don't like to stand next to anyone wearing it. Unfortunately, lots of other people like it. :confused:

Count me in on the deodorant stone users. I actually find it to get really smooth with continued use. The only thing I don't like is that it breaks easily if you drop it. And it's hard to use the fragments, although I try. I put a small piece in my travel bag!

tin can
05-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Well, I did it. I got myself some mainstream deodorant. I've given almost all the hippy brands I've found a really good chance, but they all just DO NOT WORK :angry2: for more than a few weeks and they irritate my armpits. :umm: Maybe I just smell worse than most. :p

I will try continuing with the hippy stuff at home and on less-active days, but if ever I need to even do 10 or 15 minutes of walking in a row, I'm afraid it just doesn't stand a chance.

:sigh: I just really find all the 'body maintenance' stuff so boring and time-consuming. Deodorant, shaving, showering, buying clothes, everyday-cooking, etc...

downwithapathy
05-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, I did it. I got myself some mainstream deodorant. I've given almost all the hippy brands I've found a really good chance, but they all just DO NOT WORK :angry2: for more than a few weeks and they irritate my armpits. :umm: Maybe I just smell worse than most. :p

I will try continuing with the hippy stuff at home and on less-active days, but if ever I need to even do 10 or 15 minutes of walking in a row, I'm afraid it just doesn't stand a chance.

:sigh: I just really find all the 'body maintenance' stuff so boring and time-consuming. Deodorant, shaving, showering, buying clothes, everyday-cooking, etc...

Mitchum. Mainstream and vegan. Made by Revlon, which doesn't test on animals. It's what my mom uses. Strong stuff.

tin can
05-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Mitchum. Mainstream and vegan. Made by Revlon, which doesn't test on animals. It's what my mom uses. Strong stuff.

Thanks Sonja! I've never heard of that brand, but I will have look for it when this one runs out. :)

lullured
05-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm using the mainstream deodorants too. At my old job I could get away with using a natural deodorant since I wore a loose uniform (and didn't have to be that close to anybody ;)) but now I'm back to the mainstream kind.

Now that I'm thinking; maybe the natural one worked for me then because I used a deodorant stone in the evening and the natural one on top of that in the morning?

As usual I'm confusing myself :p

downwithapathy
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Revlon's everywhere, right? I pretty much always suggest their product for people who, for whatever reason, can't use/aren't comfortable with natural products. The company has been animal testing-free since the late 80s. :cool:

ETA: Mitchum, Almay, and Hi & Dri are the deodorants I know of that they make. It's complicated when there are so many subsidiaries, which also don't test.

lullured
05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Revlon's everywhere, right? I pretty much always suggest their product for people who, for whatever reason, can't use/aren't comfortable with natural products. The company has been animal testing-free since the late 80s. :cool:

I thought I was using Revlon, but it turns out that it's Rexona which is made by Unilever :umm:

Better go look for another one I guess...

Ariann
05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Mitchum is the only thing that comes close to working for me. Since my problem isn't stinkiness, but super excess moisture, none of the natural deodorants are helpful. I need an antiperspirant and a strong one!

bluedawg
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
have i already talked about certain-dri in here? i'm too lazy to page back. :laugh:

certain-dri is a super kickass antiperspirant. you put it on at night (i.e., not after your morning shower, if that's your style), and it basically ends up "sealing off"(?) your pits and redistributing that sweat to the other eighty-bazillion sweat outlets on your body. i started using it several years ago, and eventually was able to stop using it entirely. my underarms get warm and sometimes feel "sticky" but i don't get actual sweat on mah shirt anymore. :)

(supposedly it's what all the famous hollywood types use so that they don't sweat through their clothes on teevy and whatnot)

gladcow
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
very serendipitous for this topic to come up, the husb and I were just talking about deodorants because some comic at the music fest he was at this weekend was dissing his favorite Tom's of Maine. :laugh: he was sad about it :silly:

squirrel
05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I used to use Certain-Dri but it itched my underarms so much. :(

KaliMama
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm testing the baking soda & lemon juice method, starting today. :)

eta: I'm doing it for science. I use the crystal thingy and it works great for me.

Miso Vegan
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
So, I had used the Lush aromacreme before with great success. Some people here and on the Lush site reported irritation or allergic reactions, sometimes months after using it with no problems. When I bought it at the store, the sales clerk said not to apply it right after shaving. (I smiled and said thanks, didn't bother to tell her that I don't shave.) That might contribute to the irritation that some people reported. One thing I liked about it was that if I forgot deodorant the next day, it still worked. Anyway, I used it for many months, maybe 6-8? without reactions.

Then I got a sample of Florere, which is very similar, minus one ingredient. I liked it, but it does not last a second day if I forget. Otherwise, it was good. When the Florere ran out, I went back to Lush.

Last night I noticed a red rashy streak under my arms. :worried: Please don't let me get allergic to it!

nauthiz
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Have your underarms erupted yet?

KaliMama
05-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I am sad to report that there has been no science-fair-type volcanic activity in my armpits. No swarms of bees chasing me around, either. Silly VRFers. :silly:

I smell just fine, though. :)

Emiloid
05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I am sad to report that there has been no science-fair-type volcanic activity in my armpits. No swarms of bees chasing me around, either. Silly VRFers. :silly:

I smell just fine, though. :)

Darn! I mean, yay!

La Végétalienne
06-05-2009, 12:17 AM
hmm. I have a week off from work next week- maybe I'll give baking soda and lemon juice a go.

nauthiz
06-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Just don't fail us like KaliMama. We demand swarming and effervescence!

La Végétalienne
06-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Well, for that, I think we're gonna need a few more people to join in:

# Effervescence (sociology) is a term used by the sociologist Émile Durkheim, referring to the special energy that some members of a group may experience during group meetings, especially during religious rituals. [1]

lullured
06-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Well, for that, I think we're gonna need a few more people to join in:

Hmm, if I had the week of I'd be ready to give it a try, but don't really want to experiment at my new job :D

Ariann
06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
So a couple years ago I bought Certain Dri in preparation for being a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding in a stupid sleeveless dress. I am a profusive sweat-er, particularly when I have to stand up in place for long periods of time (i.e. at the interminably long ceremony), so I was hopeful it would take care of that. I tried it out about five days before the wedding and stupidly ignored the strong warning not to use it after shaving. Within five minutes my armpits were suffering from chemical burn and there was nothing to do to relieve it. HOWEVER, by the time of the wedding, the burn had subsided and I really didn't sweat!

Fastforward two years I decided to try it again. I've been using Mitchum, but I still sweat pretty badly - luckily not too smelly-ly - and this is becoming really embarassing when I have to stand up for long periods of time at work. So, I tried the Certain Dri again (following the instructions this time) and I think it almost totally takes care of the problem! This is exciting!

tin can
06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Within five minutes my armpits were suffering from chemical burn and there was nothing to do to relieve it.

Sounds like the time I was stupid enough to use an electric shaver for the first time the morning of a really important (to me) interview. My entire face and neck were sunburn-red.

I've been using Mitchum, but I still sweat pretty badly - luckily not too smelly-ly - and this is becoming really embarassing when I have to stand up for long periods of time at work.

That sounds worrying. I have the same problem (except for the 'not too smelly-ly' part) and have picked up two containers of Mitchum today (one of the stick and one of the spray - they were on offer). I was surprised to find them, given that I'd never heard of the brand until Sonja mentioned it the other day, but they were there in the ordinary chemist. The stuff I'm using at the minute keeps both moisutre and stinkyness at bay with no problem (although it does smell strong to someone who's been used to hippy stuff for a while, and it makes me sneeze :p).

Ariann
06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Mitchum is super strong and works better than anything else I've tried. If the stuff you've been using works, Mitchum should also work. I am just a very sweaty person and always have been, even as a little kid. It's not a medical problem or anything, just my body is super-awesome at cooling itself down.

tin can
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Cool. I will report back!

KaliMama
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
hmm. I have a week off from work next week- maybe I'll give baking soda and lemon juice a go.

I'm still using it! I like it a lot. Do it before you're dressed, otherwise dusting baking soda in your underarms is a little awkward/messy. I use my fingertips to do the baking soda dusting, and then a cotton pad to pat a little lemon juice on. :)

bluedawg
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
So, I tried the Certain Dri again (following the instructions this time) and I think it almost totally takes care of the problem! This is exciting!

:yes: that stuff means business. i used it daily for awhile, then cut down to every few days, and a long time ago i stopped entirely. i think it killed my underarm sweat glands. :laugh: i still use a deodorant, but i never sweat through clothes anymore.

:uhoh: *hopes i didn't just jinx myself*

ANYSCOOT, i bought a crystal today! i saw them in trial size at whole foods and pounced. it says to "moisten" before using... do you just run it under water real quick and then apply?

KaliMama
06-05-2009, 10:17 PM
ANYSCOOT, i bought a crystal today! i saw them in trial size at whole foods and pounced. it says to "moisten" before using... do you just run it under water real quick and then apply?

Yep. If it doesn't glide over your skin smoothly, just wet it a bit more. I like the trial size ones! It will probably only last you a couple of years, though. ;)

bluedawg
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks, KM! i heart you, just so you know.

KaliMama
06-06-2009, 12:22 AM
:kiss:

Dugan
06-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Bluedawg, what I do for the crystal is to skip drying my pits after a shower, then immediately use the crystal. My pits are wet enough that I don't need the extra step of moistening the crystal. (still :lol:ing - anyscoot!)

bluedawg
06-07-2009, 12:15 AM
oooh, that's a cool trick, too! thanks Dugan!

Rami
06-07-2009, 04:27 AM
I just wanted to share with you all that now that i am a vegan i no longer have to use deodorant, i dont smell anymore but before....eekk..i stank if i didnt use deodorant man i would reek, anyway just wondering if you had noticed too.

Funny you should say that... My friend who went vegan two weeks ago noticed a difference.

gur
06-07-2009, 09:45 AM
i went back to mitchum after trying "liken" for about a week. i think liken's more of a "winter" deodorant. i feel more comfortable with an antiperspirant in the hot weather.

squirrel
06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm back on the Certain Dri bandwagon. I said it itched me but I probably used it after shaving. I also don't think I'll put it on right before bed, maybe a few hours before. I do remember trying to sleep and it was stinging like crazy. I also bought Mitchum today for day wear.
I'm also a sweater. :(

squirrel
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I've put on the Certain Dri and my underarms are itching like crayzeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! :bomb:

bluedawg
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
bummer, sgain. :umm: i don't remember that, so much. are you putting a lot on?

in other news, i've used the crystal for the past two days and it's kind of magical.

squirrel
06-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Not too much. I think my skin's sensitive. But I think I'll get used to it. Still itching, btw.

hebejeebies
06-10-2009, 08:16 AM
I use that crystal salt spray. I sweat but I don't stink. I don't care about sweaty pits. Sweating is natural. I also exfoliate my pits gently with baking soda and moisturize them at night. Its not the sweat that stinks it is that darn bacteria! lol

KaliMama
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM

eta: I'm doing it for science. I use the crystal thingy and it works great for me.

Still using baking soda and lemon juice. I love it, even though there is no effervescence or swarming (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=380540&postcount=332).

To avoid the messy factor when dusting my underarms with baking soda (and the waste of inadvertently dusting my sink and bathroom floor with baking soda :umm:) I keep some baking soda in a tall jar with a makeup brush for apllying it. It works great, and I'm using so much less than when I was doing it with my fingertips. :thumbsup: I keep a small bottle of lemon juice in the bathroom and pat it on with a sponge. It works well for me, is super-cheap, and no plastic packaging. :banana:

squirrel
06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
That's really cool, KM! Maybe I'll try that after I've chemical burned off my sweat glands, as is happening with the Certain Dri. OW. I'm probably putting too much on, and I always have sensitive skin, though.

La Végétalienne
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
What's your source of lemon juice? Fresh-squeezed or pre-bottled? I'm trying to figure out which is more economical and enviro-friendly.

And let's say that one doesn't happen to own a make-up brush and wouldn't know where to buy one (or even want to, for that matter)- any ideas for an alternate applicator? How do you keep the sponge from patting off the baking soda when applying the lemon juice? Have you tried dissolving the baking soda in the lemon juice and applying them at the same time?

KaliMama
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
What's your source of lemon juice? Fresh-squeezed or pre-bottled? I'm trying to figure out which is more economical and enviro-friendly.

I've been using bottled. Now that I've decided to stay with this method, I'd be interested to know that as well.

:looks around:

;)

And let's say that one doesn't happen to own a make-up brush and wouldn't know where to buy one (or even want to, for that matter)- any ideas for an alternate applicator?

Mine's a hand-me down from a friend. I don't wear makeup, so I couldn't tell you where to get one new, but maybe a thrift store? Or you could use a soft paint brush.

How do you keep the sponge from patting off the baking soda when applying the lemon juice?

Pat it on gently. The first time I tried this, I wiped off all the baking soda. Then d reminded me that I was supposed to be patting not wiping, so I did it over. I tend to be kinda heavy-handed in general. :umm: :p

Have you tried dissolving the baking soda in the lemon juice and applying them at the same time?

No, but I think that would be where the effervescence and swarming would come in. :banana:

TressaLou
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Still using baking soda and lemon juice. I love it, even though there is no effervescence or swarming (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=380540&postcount=332).

To avoid the messy factor when dusting my underarms with baking soda (and the waste of inadvertently dusting my sink and bathroom floor with baking soda :umm:) I keep some baking soda in a tall jar with a makeup brush for apllying it. It works great, and I'm using so much less than when I was doing it with my fingertips. :thumbsup: I keep a small bottle of lemon juice in the bathroom and pat it on with a sponge. It works well for me, is super-cheap, and no plastic packaging. :banana:

And let's say that one doesn't happen to own a make-up brush and wouldn't know where to buy one (or even want to, for that matter)- any ideas for an alternate applicator? How do you keep the sponge from patting off the baking soda when applying the lemon juice? Have you tried dissolving the baking soda in the lemon juice and applying them at the same time?

I've also been using the baking soda and lemon juice method for about a week and a half. Instead of makeup brushes or anything like that, I just use cotton balls to apply both the baking soda and the lemon juice. I had some bottled lemon juice sitting around that I hadn't been using, and it works well. I was surprised that this method even held up against my pilates class. It's great.

Let us know if you try the dissolving and applying together method. Some friends asked me about how that might work...

downwithapathy
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I bought some Arm & Hammer Canine Oral Care Oral Spray (which can't be found online) as doggy toothpaste backup. Always, the experimenter, I sprayed some on my armpits (three days in a row). It turns out, this stuff makes an above average deodorant. :laugh:

KaliMama
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
:laugh: What's in it?

I'm still using baking soda and lemon juice. My crystal deodorant thingy misses me.

downwithapathy
08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
:laugh: What's in it?

I'm still using baking soda and lemon juice. My crystal deodorant thingy misses me.

:D

Water, glycerin, baking soda, peppermint oil, sucralose, zinc gluconate...

KaliMama
08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Hmm. I am thinking of experimenting with some other homemade recipes. A spray would be more convenient than what I'm doing now. Thanks!

steroidicalkiwi
08-24-2009, 08:36 AM
KM does your combo of lemon juice and baking soda keep you not-stinky? that's my main problem...i get kind of smelly. being dry really isn't an issue.

shesablast
08-24-2009, 08:36 AM
i REALLY like Florere and i have recommended it to 2 friends who also love it. its a little weird to apply the cream version but they also have a stick which i will try next. it smells great and lasts all day for me.

gladcow
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
:o SUCRALOSE?!
:no:

downwithapathy
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
:o SUCRALOSE?!
:no:
Oops. I guess I did something bad. :embarr:

Miso Vegan
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I suppose it's there to make it tastier to dogs, but do dogs need sweeteners anyway (artificial, no less)?

As for Florere... I like it. It works, and it's very natural. It works for exactly 1 day. If you forget to apply deodorant the next day, it will not help you.

Whereas, the Lush AromaCreme is almost identical in its ingredients, yet has 2-day power. Why would that be? The only listed ingredient that's different (I'm going from memory, here) is that the Lush has coumarin.

Gah! In looking in teh interwebz for ingredients, I see that AromaCreme is discontinued. But I also found good reports of this: http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7&page=2
and a discussion of homemade deodorants (and what might cause irritation) here:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=359593

mishka
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm chiming in on the baking soda. I started using it about a month ago, and it hasn't failed me once - not even on the 2 record-breaking days of stank heat. I apply it after my morning shower - dipping my fingers into the container and then rubbing the powder onto my pits. That's it. It doesn't even leave white smudges on my black clothes.

Baking soda - what can't it do?

gladcow
08-24-2009, 01:36 PM
it's not you, Sonja, it's me. I have work induced Sucralose hysteria. It's very sad.*

baking soda! shortens poison oak healing time by almost half! and it helped my baby girl's bug bites today :banana:

*I have to read the ingredient lists of all the foods I add at work. Sucralose is in SO MANY things it doesn't have to be, that by now I just freak the frak out when I see it. It's really not you :kiss:

downwithapathy
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I suppose it's there to make it tastier to dogs, but do dogs need sweeteners anyway (artificial, no less)?
They don't need it, but it sure makes things easier if the dog doesn't run away every time you pick up the bottle. In human dental products, the sweetener of choice is xylitol. Xylitol is toxic to dogs.

Anyway, I'm obviously out of my element here. Sucralose is like Splenda? Tested on animals? Boo. Otherwise, it's probably quite safe in whatever amount is squirted into someone's mouth and preferable to other sweeteners in a dental product. Right? I only bought it because Zoe's tooth has a line on it that's freaking me out (and it contains a recommended ingredient).

gladcow
08-24-2009, 01:46 PM
sucralose is splenda. they are the same exact thing. splenda is the branded name, sucralose the name of the actual "food".

I could go on, at length, as to why it annoys me, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the chior.

panthera
08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Arm & Hammer Canine Oral Care Oral Spray

Eeek! Isn't Arm & Hammer a Proctor & Gamble subsidiary? I've never actually looked it up, but panthimo says so.

Which makes finding baking soda in general a lot more difficult. In fact, I've never found it except in little boxes.

downwithapathy
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Eeek! Isn't Arm & Hammer a Proctor & Gamble subsidiary? I've never actually looked it up, but panthimo says so.

Which makes finding baking soda in general a lot more difficult. In fact, I've never found it except in little boxes.
Probably. I'm a dog shopping fuckup in this little town. :(

KaliMama
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM
KM does your combo of lemon juice and baking soda keep you not-stinky? that's my main problem...i get kind of smelly. being dry really isn't an issue.

Yep. Even when I skip a day, which I do pretty often 'cause I am absent-minded like that.

I'm chiming in on the baking soda. I started using it about a month ago, and it hasn't failed me once - not even on the 2 record-breaking days of stank heat. I apply it after my morning shower - dipping my fingers into the container and then rubbing the powder onto my pits. That's it. It doesn't even leave white smudges on my black clothes.

Baking soda - what can't it do?

Yay! :banana:

You don't use lemon juice?

baking soda! shortens poison oak healing time by almost half! and it helped my baby girl's bug bites today :banana:

Awesome! And good to know.

KaliMama
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Oh, noes! I mean, thanks for the heads-up. Where the heck am I going to get baking soda now that I use it for everything? :uhoh:

Probably. I'm a dog shopping fuckup in this little town. :(

Don't be hard on yourself! I bet I buy way more baking soda than you do. :(

downwithapathy
08-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh, noes! I mean, thanks for the heads-up. Where the heck am I going to get baking soda now that I use it for everything? :uhoh:

Don't be hard on yourself! I bet I buy way more baking soda than you do. :(
Arm & Hammer is a Church & Dwight subsidiary. I just looked it up.

I was just feeling :embarr: because everybody's eeking and :no:ing at my dog's underarm spray. :)

La Végétalienne
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I use lemon juice & baking soda, but I don't really see what the lemon juice is doing. That method has held up to 8-hours days that consist mainly of chasing children around a big open field mixed with a little bit of pacing the deck of a very hot and humid indoor pool.

Can you all not buy generic-brand baking soda? Since it can be used for everything, I special-ordered it from the co-op and now have a case (5 one-pound bags) that should last a while.

KaliMama
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
The lemon juice is supposed to correct the pH of your underarms, I think.

I'm sure I can find another brand of baking soda, or buy it in bulk - my co-op doesn't carry it, but I hadn't thought to special order it. Thanks!

My oh noes were mostly at myself for not having thought about it before. I'm not very good at tracking down the corporations, they all seem pretty evil to me.

HealthySkin
09-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I have used mineral salt antiperspirant for a long time, it works fine. it's usually unscented, so you could just put whatever natural scent in it you like.

steroidicalkiwi
09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
The lemon juice is supposed to correct the pH of your underarms, I think.

I'm sure I can find another brand of baking soda, or buy it in bulk - my co-op doesn't carry it, but I hadn't thought to special order it. Thanks!

My oh noes were mostly at myself for not having thought about it before. I'm not very good at tracking down the corporations, they all seem pretty evil to me.

i used lemon juice the other day. it stung my underarms at first. :confused:

i also could still smell myself, but it did cut down on the stinkiness a little i must admit. does it get better over time? maybe my underarms need to get used to it?

La Végétalienne
09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Are you using baking soda? I'm pretty sure it's the baking soda not the lemon juice that eliminates odors.

steroidicalkiwi
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Are you using baking soda? I'm pretty sure it's the baking soda not the lemon juice that eliminates odors.

oh. :blush: oopies. i may have forgot that part of the equation.

downwithapathy
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I've read of using lemon juice alone as a deodorant. The acidity is what does it.

steroidicalkiwi
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM

baking soda keeps you dry. i googled it :D

La Végétalienne
09-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, it's true that baking soda absorbs wetness (but doesn't prevent it; antiperspirants =/= deodorant (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-antiperspirant-and-deodorant.htm)), but baking soda is also commonly used to absorb odors (some people keep an open box in the fridge to do just that).

Here's another explanation (http://www.ehow.com/how_4844715_natural-deodorant.html), though it does say

Don't mix baking soda and lemon juice. They have opposite ph-levels and will react badly with one another.
:confused: Maybe the warning is referring to the effervescence mentioned upthread?

steroidicalkiwi
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, it's true that baking soda absorbs wetness (but doesn't prevent it; antiperspirants =/= deodorant (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-antiperspirant-and-deodorant.htm)), but baking soda is also commonly used to absorb odors (some people keep an open box in the fridge to do just that).

Here's another explanation (http://www.ehow.com/how_4844715_natural-deodorant.html), though it does say

:confused: Maybe the warning is referring to the effervescence mentioned upthread?

yeah. that mixture sounds kind of...caustic. and maybe painful? i will try baking soda!

La Végétalienne
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I use both together. Like this (http://lifehacker.com/5023582/prevent-body-odor-with-baking-soda-and-lemon-and-book-signing-sunday), except I use lemon juice instead of rubbing lemons on my armpits.

steroidicalkiwi
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
i actually did this today. i mixed an unknown amount of baking soda with lemon juice. it fizzed for a moment and then settled down. i then brushed it on. i'm happy to report that i haven't smelt myself at all today, which is really really nice! :D this will save me monies!

coldlondont
06-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I don’t know if it has been mentioned here before, but I found that Saje line of crystal deodorants work very well. They are a Canadian company (based in Vancouver) and, unfortunately, I don’t know if they are available anywhere else. Their liquid Crystal Fresh Deodorant (120 ml) does not have any scent but I mix it up with essential oils and it lasts all day.

bluedawg
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
:yes: that stuff means business. i used it daily for awhile, then cut down to every few days, and a long time ago i stopped entirely. i think it killed my underarm sweat glands. :laugh: i still use a deodorant, but i never sweat through clothes anymore.

:uhoh: *hopes i didn't just jinx myself*

heh, i think i *did* jinx myself! sometime during spring semester, i started sweating a bit. not like before, but a bit of dampness fo' sho', so i've started using certain-dri again, albeit sporadically. just want to seal 'em up tight again. :laugh:

Yep. If it doesn't glide over your skin smoothly, just wet it a bit more. I like the trial size ones! It will probably only last you a couple of years, though. ;)

okay, i just went back to look at the date of my original post (when i bought the crystal), and it was early june 2009. a year later and my little trial size is still going strong! and it was only like $3!! that thing is total wizardry, i love it.

Bluedawg, what I do for the crystal is to skip drying my pits after a shower, then immediately use the crystal. My pits are wet enough that I don't need the extra step of moistening the crystal. (still :lol:ing - anyscoot!)

this is my preferred method, but i'm wondering something, fellow crystal-users... how many swipes do you do?

vegankitty
06-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Those crystal stones do not work for me in summer. I am using Mitchum. So far, so good and it's been pretty darn hot lately. Since I now often go from dog walking to other jib stuff like meetings, not smelling is more important than ever.

Ariann
06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Certain-dri remains the bomb.

shananigans
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
I've been using Nature's Gate for a couple years, but this summer I'm learning it doesn't cut it without daily showering as well. I know it's probably gross, but since I only have class 3 days a week now and am usually not in close contact with humans other than he-manigans every day I have been letting a shower go here and there. A couple days after a shower in this heat, lets just say I'm smelling not-so-fresh. :yuck:

rawshark
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
You could just give your pits a good scrub. Nature's Gate works pretty well, but it seems better at preventing odor than covering it up once it's there.

vegankitty
06-25-2010, 03:51 AM
Certain-dri remains the bomb.

Tell me more! Today's heat was awful and I'm always up to try a new vegan deodorant!

bluedawg
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
vegankitty, certain-dri is an antiperspirant, not a deodorant... so i guess it depends on what you're looking for. certain-dri is rumored to be the product that most actors use (since they have to be under hot lights all the time and it's not very glamorous to be pitting out in all your scenes, heh). it basically works to seal off your sweat glands in your armpits (by just sending the sweat to your other billion sweat glands on your body) so that you stop sweating in there. :silly: you would still want to use a separate deodorant product, but you might find less need for it (or a less strong product, i mean) once the sweat is dialed back so much.

certain-dri is a liquid roll-on that you apply at night, and then you'd use your regular deodorant during the day after your morning shower or whatever. [[i know that certain-dri has also now created a 'morning after the shower' product but i've never used it so i can't attest to its effectiveness or similarity to the other.]]

i found that after using certain-dri for awhile, i stopped needing it altogether. i went from applying every night, to every few nights, to never at all. after a loooong time of not using it (and still not sweating), i decided a couple months ago that i am ever-so-slightly damp sometimes, so i'm using it again periodically to seal 'em up tight. :silly: but anyway my point is, you might find that you only need to use the certain-dri for awhile, and then not worry about it anymore after it has done its job, so to speak.

nowadays i just use a crystal (which works awesome for me) and i never sweat.

squirrel
06-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I use Certain-Dri, too, when the timing is right. I'll explain that in a little bit. One time when I used it, I actually got chemical burns under my arms, that scabbed and stayed around for almost a month. However, I had used it in the past and didn't have that problem before, so I chalked it up to user error (over-applying). Also, Don't use it right after you've shaved your underarms. Since you're supposed to apply it at night, it will itch and burn and you'll never get to sleep! (I figure everyone's different, so it may not happen to you, but I'm just warning ya, just in case).
I probably have very sensitive skin, so now I never put it on at night, for that reason. I usually put it on and then wait 20 minutes for it to dry and then apply my regular stuff, for a sort of double coverage. But going back to "when the timing is right," I never use it when burning or itching could be bothersome, such as at night or when I'm going somewhere. Don't wanna be sitting around itching in public, yo. ;)
Scary burn-y stuff aside, I think it's worth trying, because of the benefits of it. Just be mindful to try it "when the timing is right." :p

KaliMama
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Certain-Dri scares me. D:

After my initial success with lemon juice and baking soda, I had to give it up as my skin has become increasingly sensitive and reactive to just about everything in the world. :no: :(

grog
06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Certain-Dri scares me. D:

Yeah me too. Sounds insane. Your body is supposed to sweat. If you are stinky, wash or use a deodorant more frequently. If your clothes get gross, wear different clothes.

bluedawg
06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
meh.

grog
06-30-2010, 08:26 PM
can't it kill you or something? chemicals interfering with mucus membranes right next to your vascular and lymp systems? seems like a bad idea. I tend to get a bit hippy in this area, I know.

Ariann
06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
You have a need to sweat, but not necessarily to sweat out of specific sweat glands. I don't mind sweating and I sweat A LOT, from everywhere, but if my armpits sweat, I smell. Really strong deodorants (like Mitchum) work ok, but not perfectly, and they react with sweat in a way that stains clothes. I'd rather just not sweat out of my armpits if I can avoid it. When I use Certain-Dri, I actually don't need any other kind of deodorant/antiperspirant. I put it on every two or three days and it keeps me non-smelly after walking miles on end.

But definitely if you use it, follow the directions. It takes very little. Don't put it on after showering or shaving.

Ariann
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Tell me more! Today's heat was awful and I'm always up to try a new vegan deodorant!

It totally works in the city, too. Miles and miles and miles of not sweating.

TressaLou
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm kind of wary of anything that causes the body to behave in a way that goes against nature (e.g. antiperspirants stopping the body from sweating, birth control that causes the ceasation of the menstrual cycle, etc...). Also, I stay away from aluminum-containing antiperspirants because I worry about the risk of breast cancer, even though the evidence on that matter is inconclusive. Just trying to be safe and as natural as possible.

Krrez
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
TressaLou That is exactly my problem! I want to not sweat and to use hormonal b.c., but I'm afraid it's bad for me to mess around with my body like that. >.<

I tried baking soda once, it was like not using anything. I might try it again. I agree with whoever it was that said they wished people had never gotten into this artificial smell thing in the first place and that the way people smell with reasonable hygiene was socially acceptable.
I think I've tried my mom's deo stone and I know I tried Tom's of Maine Lavender, but I don't think either worked very well for me.

This thread makes me want to try to find a good natural deo, I kinda gave up after the Tom's didn't work because it was the only one that I knew of.

gladcow
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
KM, I'm pretty sensitive, but if I use Aromarant from LUSH I don't have problems. I also like the Tom's of Maine roll on. Those are literally the only deodorants I can tolerate currently.

vegankitty
07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I think I shall give certain dri a try. It's not practical for me towash more often, put on more deodorant or change my clothes because I sweat. I work outside. I don't like smelling bad.

KaliMama
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
KM, I'm pretty sensitive, but if I use Aromarant from LUSH I don't have problems. I also like the Tom's of Maine roll on. Those are literally the only deodorants I can tolerate currently.

Thanks! I will look for those and give them a try. :daisy:

TressaLou
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Tom's of Maine are my favorites!

vegankitty
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Just FYI - Tom's of Maine is owned now by Colgate I think? Anyway, by a company that does animal testing. That's why I stopped using it. .

TressaLou
07-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Aww man... Must the animal-testing companies buy out everything?

Jimsa
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
its a shame really. ive been using toms for a few years and it does the trick for me, usually. if im biking around alot tho it fails sometimes heh

vegankitty
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Aww man... Must the animal-testing companies buy out everything?

I know! So many small brands get bought up. And the labels still say no animal testing because that brand isn't tested even if the parent company does test. Like Body Shop. I don't remember who bought them but same thing.

vegankitty
07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Here is PeTA's stance on company buy outs: http://www.caringconsumer.com/cosmetics_bodyshop.asp

I'm not sure how I feell. I don't want to derail this thread though. I see the point though-if I buy Silk or Boca or really many different products by brands ultimately owned by meat or dairy companies why is it different buying non animal tested/vegan products from companies ultimately owned by animal testing companies.

downwithapathy
07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I prefer to support smaller companies. When I lived in vegan-friendly towns, I never bought Tom's products. Now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I use Tom's toothpaste exclusively. I also use vegan, nontested mainstream products (Revlon, White Rain, Avon, etc.), particularly when I'm trying to save money. In other words, my former position was a position of privilege. I used to live across the street from the largest grocery co-op in a vegan-friendly city. I don't feel being vegan is any more difficult for me in Small Town, USA. However, I have had to make some concessions. Veganism is no problem, but I can't easily be quite the hippie I used to be. :)

vegankitty
07-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I feel if you can afford small companies and the more ethical choice you should do it. But if you can't then that's okay too. I have a Tom's of Maine deodorant I bought last summer when I was upstate. I didn't know Mitchum was vegan so I thought it was my only vegan option.

nibbler
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Loreal bought the body shop a few years ago. Needless to say I haven't bought anything there in a long time(years actually).

Miso Vegan
07-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm tellin' you guys, Florere is the way to go.

For a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant.

KaliMama
07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I just ordered the Lush deodorant, but I'd like to try the Florere, too. Hmm. Have you used the Florere Cleansing Grains or Shea Butter Moisturizer? Do you carry those at Sidecar? Is Sidecar still Sidecar?

Miso Vegan
07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Sidecar is still Sidecar. :brood:

I didn't care for the cleansing grains (they're weird!) but if I still have the jar I'll pass it on to you. I don't recall trying the moisturizer.

I like the Florere over the Lush due to the cleaner ingrendient list, but the Aromarant ingredient list isn't too bad.

KaliMama
07-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Coolio. Thanks!

Miso Vegan
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Turns out I ditched the grains but kept the moisturizer! Which I will pass on to you, along with another jar of shea butter, both of which are slightly used which will hopefully not gross you out! :laugh: I don't have desperate moisturizing needs, so shea butter is too much trouble for me. I bought the one jar planning to turn it into Lush's AromaCreme but then got lazy, and then AromaCreme was discontinued so I didn't know the ingredients any more, and then Florere cam along and it's like AromaCreme without the potential for irritation (which is probably why Lush discontinued it).

vegankitty
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I use shea butter for tattoo aftercare.

grog
07-12-2010, 02:37 PM
amusing

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/20/opinion/20auslander.html?ref=opinion

KaliMama
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

a roll-on deodorant so strong you’re supposed to put it on at night so it has time to alter your gene structure

See? Scary.

mishka
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
KM, have you had any issues with the baking soda as deodorant? I recently began developing dark dry patches under my arms which go away when I stop using the baking soda :( I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with the corn starch I added to the mix.

Miso Vegan
07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
baking soda, being totally alkaline, alters the pH of the skin pretty significantly. I'm surprised anyone can use it long-term. On one forum I read (it was a thread about trying to re-create Lush's AromaCreme (http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25176)), the author suggested that's probably why AromaCreme caused reactions in half of the people who used it, so she was using less baking soda in her version.

(Same thread suggests that cornstarch feeds the stinky bacteria.)

Similar recipe here (http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-your-own-deodorant.html).

KaliMama
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
baking soda, being totally alkaline, alters the pH of the skin pretty significantly.

Hence the lemon juice. Which some of us are too lazy to use consistently. :uhoh:

My skin became so crazy sensitive that I've stopped using anything for now. I've ordered some Lush deodorant, though. With baking soda. :umm:

KaliMama
07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh! Thanks for the links, Miso!

bluedawg
07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
i'm a total thread-killer lately (or else i'm on a lot of ignore lists), and mostly i've been giving up and forgetting about it... but i'm reposting this one, because i'm totally curious...

Bluedawg, what I do for the crystal is to skip drying my pits after a shower, then immediately use the crystal. My pits are wet enough that I don't need the extra step of moistening the crystal.

this is my preferred method, but i'm wondering something, fellow crystal-users... how many swipes do you do?

i'm just wondering if i'm a obsessive over-swiper. :silly:

downwithapathy
07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
i'm a total thread-killer lately (or else i'm on a lot of ignore lists), and mostly i've been giving up and forgetting about it... but i'm reposting this one, because i'm totally curious...

i'm just wondering if i'm a obsessive over-swiper. :silly:

I was a serious over-swiper in my crystal using days. Really, I just slathered it all around until I was thoroughly convinced the entire territory was covered. :silly:

QrkyMoon
07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I overswipe so much I'm afraid I'm going to have salt crumbling off me when my underarms dry :laugh:

KaliMama
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
d does 4 or 5 swipes, and when I used a crystal I did 2 or 3. :kiss:

bluedawg
07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
holy smokes i made QrkyMoon happen! :cool:

KaliMama
07-13-2010, 06:09 PM
See? You are the opposite of a thread-killer. :kiss:

QrkyMoon
07-13-2010, 06:52 PM
:laugh:

La Végétalienne
07-16-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm surprised anyone can use it long-term.
I've been using baking soda (usually sans lemon juice) almost exclusively for over a year now with no problems. Works better than anything else I've ever used, even last summer when I was working outside all day, every day.

QrkyMoon
07-16-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't want to go back and search 30 pages of posts, so I'm just going to ask. How do you use baking soda? I just keep imagining squeezing the box quickly so it shoots out and coats your underarms... but that seems really messy. As does trying to rub handfuls of baking soda into your underarms or standing on your head to dump it on. So how's it done?

Miso Vegan
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I've been using baking soda (usually sans lemon juice) almost exclusively for over a year now with no problems. Works better than anything else I've ever used, even last summer when I was working outside all day, every day.

And I'm surprised!!

squirrel
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't want to go back and search 30 pages of posts, so I'm just going to ask. How do you use baking soda? I just keep imagining squeezing the box quickly so it shoots out and coats your underarms... but that seems really messy. As does trying to rub handfuls of baking soda into your underarms or standing on your head to dump it on. So how's it done?

I think I remember KaliMama saying she uses a big makeup or blush brush to dust it on....

KaliMama
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
:yes: I kept some in a jar and used an old makeup brush. It worked really well.

QrkyMoon
07-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Can I be lazy again (i.e. not search through the posts) and ask if you mix it with lemon juice do you just make a paste? Or maybe wipe your underarms down with lemon juice and then brush on the baking soda? I like the salt, but I'm scared that with the continued heat I'm going to start smelling soon :uhoh:

KaliMama
07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
wipe your underarms down with lemon juice and then brush on the baking soda?

That one.

KaliMama
07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
KM, I'm pretty sensitive, but if I use Aromarant from LUSH I don't have problems.

Okay, I got this. And a couple of other Lush items. The Aromarant smells so wonderful! :heart: I've been using it since Friday, no irritation so far, yay!

Is there a trick to using/keeping it? It's kinda messy. I put it in a Tofutti sour cream container. :silly:

gladcow
07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
I let mine stay in the paper wrapper in my bathroom. Even though it's not supposed to be in a humid environment. When it doesn't slide on as well anymore, I run it under the water (like a crystal deo) before using.

KaliMama
07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks! :kiss:

KaliMama
07-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Rash! Boo!

Lucky me, the deodorant fairy sent me some Florere today! :) :heart:

gladcow
07-28-2010, 12:47 PM
aw, dang!

(you want I should get rid of that aromarant for you? :silly:)

(akshully, LUSH is really good about returns, even on used stuff)

KaliMama
07-28-2010, 04:35 PM
aw, dang!

(you want I should get rid of that aromarant for you? :silly:)

(akshully, LUSH is really good about returns, even on used stuff)

You got it, lady. I'll hold on to it until you get here. :)

Since I knew that it would probably cause a rash when I ordered it, returning it doesn't feel right. Maybe I should have asked for a sample? Hmm.

gladcow
07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
they are REALLY nice about returns. even if you thought you may not like it from the outset. even if you return stuff more than you would think. they just want people to feel okay trying something, taking a risk. I find it refreshing :D

...but, yeah, save that for me :silly:

Miso Vegan
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Lucky me, the deodorant fairy sent me some Florere today!

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

I am secretly glad the Aromarant didn't work so it wasn't a total waste of time for me to send those to you.

KaliMama
07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Thank you! I hope so, too.

I am secretly glad the Aromarant didn't work so it wasn't a total waste of time for me to send those to you.

:laugh: :kiss:

squirrel
08-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I am so sick of sweating. I just bought the certain dri AM formula to try out, and a crystal (I don't know if it's the same kind of crystal as was mentioned earlier in this thread or not)

I am sitting here right now, only 2 hours post application of my antiperspirant and my underarms are wet. I can't wear solid colored shirts without being able to see the sweat. And what Ariann said about it having a reaction with the antiperspirant and staining shirts, I have ruined many light colored shirts this way. :( I bought a new white shirt and want to wear it to the meetup, so it has been hanging brand new in my closet until then so I don't ruin it in the meantime. I could have worse problems, but GEEZ, this is rediculous. :(

Ariann
08-26-2010, 08:38 AM
sorry, Squirrel :( I'm pretty sure Certain Dri AM is just like regular antiperspirant. You need to use the PM formula for crazy Certain Dri effectiveness. I also think crystals are just deodorant, which means they won't do anything for the sweating, just the stinking.

I hope you find something that works for you, I've totally been there and it sucks.

squirrel
08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks, Ariann. :) I think I'm going to have to be more consistant with the pm stuff. Though it itches and then I can't sleep sometimes. Ah, sleep is overrated. lol

crunchymom
09-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I will say that this morning before I took a shower and all that I ran for about one and a half miles almost two with four big hills and sweat alot and didnt really smell at all under my pits but sweat sooo bad everywhere else I am sure that is TMI. Anyway I wanted to get good and sweaty to start from scratch plus I had been sick all week and needed to get a good sweat to maybe sweat out the sicness ya know. Well anyway after that and a good shower to get the sweat off noone wants to put that bacteria on a new thing of deoderant. Last night I got kiss my face active enzyme but had some mitchum which I had no idea was vegan and it has been so hot and I have been doing yard work and moving big tools and stuff all day and got really hot but didnt sweat much and no smell. I will try the kiss my face tomorrow and tell ya all how it worked if it did.

crunchymom
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Well theActive enzyme didnt work for me at all. So I got TOms of Maine unscented long lasting no scent deo hopefully that will work.

bluedawg
09-25-2010, 12:34 AM
i was at LUSH the other day (buying more lip balm, LOVE THAT STUFF) and i decided to stop and smell the aromarant because i remembered hearing that it was popular with you guys. :laugh: the girl who worked there came over to tell me it was her favorite LUSH product of all. she tried to get me to buy some, but i hesitated because i've been so lucky/happy with my $2 crystal that's lasted me 90 years. :silly: so she didn't get me this time, but curiosity might win out eventually!

KaliMama
09-26-2010, 02:31 AM
It smells YUM! :yes:

LesMiserablesLove
09-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Glad to see LUSH is getting recognized in this thread! I buy a lot of their products (including the lip balm!), but I had never tried their deoodarant until literally two days ago. So far, it has been so much better than Nature's Gate. Smells nicer and doesn't fade out after a few hours.

gladcow
09-26-2010, 03:52 PM
UH! ROMA! RANT! :heart: :yes:

hi. I like it.

KaliMama
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :heart:

VegeTexan
09-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Being a long time vegan I don't have a body odor problem.
After a couple of days without a shower my armpits naturally smell like strawberries.

sitting_vegan
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Mine have more of a kale-y odor.

Still loving just baking soda. Works like a charm for me.

crunchymom
09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I actually have tried the baking soda and it actually burnt my skin which is kind of wierd I know since it is a base on the ph scale. but I would get really red pits and it would be really hot to the touch. I thought it was because I dont shave so I shaved and it still was bad. Anyway the Toms works I understand that Toms is actually a colgate company now I dont like it but it is working I will have to find something still that isnt linked to a big company such as this. It says it has no scent but I smell a lemony scent almost like lemon verbana. Anyway I have never tried lush would love to try some sometime.

panthera
09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I actually have tried the baking soda and it actually burnt my skin which is kind of wierd I know since it is a base on the ph scale.

Dunno if this why in this case, but basic substances can be extremely caustic!

bluedawg
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
aaaall right, brainwashers, i bought a little brick of aromarant. ;)

so, questions!

1. do you apply it like a crystal, with slightly wet armpits after your shower?
2. how many swipes? :silly:
3. what do you store it in?

gladcow
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I apply it after showering. Sometimes damp armpits are better. Fresh aromarant goes on smoothly without wetting, in my experience.

I swipe a bunch. Mebbe up and down 2 or 3 times?

Mine are in a little tofutti sour cream container that I got from KM :silly: Airtight is best from my experience. Not sure what the recommend.

Welcome to Aromarant Land :heart:

VegeTexan
10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I produce attractive pheromones that I don't want to mask.

vegankitty
10-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I found out Ban is vegan and not animal tested. I use Mitchum right now but will be looking at Lush when I run out.

Though Lush is a store that drives me nuts. They are so pushy.

crunchymom
10-05-2010, 11:00 PM
The closest store that sells lush is two hours away ugh!!! I dont get stuff online much and dont know if I will get it right know probably will see if I can get it later say when we go to the science and art museum in st louis since the museum is about twently minutes from the store hehehe.

HealingHandsVegan
10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
So this is day 3 of my new vegan lifestyle (I was lacto ovo vegetarian before now). Yesterday I had a sweaty day at work and there was no stinky issue in the underarm department. Today I barely broke a sweat and had major BO! I'm not a stinky person. Never have been. Why are my pits stinkin?

La Végétalienne
10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Some people seem to experience changes in the way their bodies function when they switch to veganism. Maybe give your body a few weeks to adjust, and in the meantime try checking out the deodorants and body odor thread (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=1527). Good luck!

Emiloid
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Did you switch deodorants? Also, could it be that you had an odor before, but didn't notice it because you were used to it? Even a slight difference might be far more detectable to you. Was it something you noticed, or did someone else mention it?

HealingHandsVegan
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Did you switch deodorants? Also, could it be that you had an odor before, but didn't notice it because you were used to it? Even a slight difference might be far more detectable to you. Was it something you noticed, or did someone else mention it?

I noticed it myself. I did switch to Tom of Maine (I think that's the brand name) honeysuckle deodorant a few days ago but haven't had an issue until today. I'm a massage therapist and had 5 clients yesterday and my room was very hot (something was wrong with the AC) so I was a bit sweaty but no smell. Today after a 1 1/2 hour deep tissue session with my 2nd client I had to sneeze and put my nose under my arm and caught a smell of something funky. Then I realized it was me. I work with some very blunt people and no one told me they could smell a funk and I could only notice it when I stuck my nose in my pit. PS this is a very awkward post :umm: I'm usually not smelly at all. I was thinking my is pushing toxins out. I even have a pimple and I never break out.

HealingHandsVegan
10-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!