PDA

View Full Version : How do you pay your bills?

squirrel
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Couples, or people who share living expenses....how do you manage your bills? Do you each pay half, or does the one who makes more money, pay more?
I am curious to know, because my fiance and I have separate bank accounts (which is fine by me) and we split the bills 50/50. But he makes a lot more money than I do, and I feel like I'm struggling every month, where he never is. I am not spendy, I don't buy much extra for myself. So how do I bring up the subject that he should pay a little more, since he makes more....or should I even? What's fair?

tin can
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I voted 50/50. All our money is joint, and has been since a month or so after met, other than a brief period of a couple of months or so a couple of years ago.

Jimsa
02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
My roommates and I split the common bills amongst us. They both make more money then me but its only fair and I wouldn't expect anything different.

squirrel
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I voted 50/50. All our money is joint, and has been since a month or so after met, other than a brief period of a couple of months or so a couple of years ago.
I should have put that as an option. We have separate, so we keep track of who pays what and not that it all comes out of one pot. Which sucks for me. lol

stegan
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
We've got separate accounts, and the girl keeps an expenses spreadsheet. I actually insisted that we split things proportional to income, especially since she's a student. It's worked out pretty well. Of course, now that my income is about to drop considerably, we're going to go back to 50/50. :)

Anyways, I think the best thing to do is to bring it up exactly as you have- "I make a lot less than you, would you consider changing the percentage to represent something a little more proportional to income?" I wouldn't try to figure out an exact number, but have a number in mind that you think is more fair.

It's a good relationship test, actually. :)

tin can
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
We have separate, so we keep track of who pays what and not that it all comes out of one pot. Which sucks for me. lol

I should elaborate, actually: for the last few months, we have had a certain amount of 'spending/luxuries'-type money each, which is shared between us. However, neither of us can spend more than half of that money without checking with the other that they didn't have any plans for that part of their half of the money. Anything that is left over at the end of the month gets swept into savings. (Most of the time so far, girl can has spent less than half and I have spent most of the excess thus created. :uhoh:) We have gone through various methods of tweaking the system, and this one seems to be working well for us at the moment.

It seems to me (and did to both of us when we joined money) that joint money is by far the easiest, providing you trust each other. :) (I have always earned more than girl can so far, incidentally, despite being less-well-qualified.)

nauthiz
02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
We have a joint account and separate accounts. Each of us puts a portion of our income in the joint account, and half in our own account. We both split our paychecks the same way, so it ends up being that the contribution is proportional to income.

The joint one is used to pay bills, buy groceries, household expenses, sticking needles in our cats, etc. Any excess that accumulates in the joint one is also used to pay for "us" stuff like theatre tickets and whatnot. Usually for the smaller stuff like going out to dinner together, one of us will pay out of their own pocket.

We did assigned bills at first, but sometimes it was hard to make sure everything came out evenly. 50/50 wouldn't have been remotely fair; it would have left the one of us who makes less with barely any spending money at all after subtracting half of the monthly bills. And we really didn't want to do a joint account for everything - she doesn't want to give me any more excuse to harass her about how much she spends on fancy yarn, and I don't want to give her any more excuse to harass me about how much I spend on fancy coffee.

Ariann
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
All our money is joint except for the fact that I keep an extra checking account to pay for what I've decided are my "just-me" expenses (clothes, tuition, books, gas, other car expenses - although now we only have one car, so maybe this will change). The upshot of this is that when I get paid, I put all of it in my personal checking, pay what I have to pay, and then I put the rest in our joint account - this is mostly just to make the math simpler and the checking easier. This means I always contribute significantly less to the joint account than he does, even beyond the fact that I make about a third of what he does. He puts all of his money in the joint account and then pays his personal credit cards, student debt, other personal expenses, etc. out of that account. That account is also what I use to pay all of our household bills (rent, food, utilities, entertainment). I think in the end that since his personal expenses (particularly debt) are larger than my personal expenses (weirdly, even though I pay $20K in tuition a year), he only winds up paying maybe twice as much towards our communal expenses than I do even though he makes at least three times as much. This is all a guesstimate.

All of this is to say that we absolutely do not keep track of who pays what anymore, (almost) everything goes in a common pot, and if there isn't enough money in the pot at the end of the month we feel equally responsible and equally screwed. If you do it this way and the situation is that one person makes a lot more than the other, then you don't have to worry about who's contributing what because clearly most of the money in the common pot came from the person who makes more money, but the money is equally available to both parties. This seems fair to me for people who plan on being lifelong partners and have bound themselves to each other in other ways, but it doesn't make as much sense for people who do not have that kind of commitment. Corrolary to this we set a fairly low limit on frivolous spending, so we both feel equally free to buy little goodies for ourselves or books or clothes without having to explain ourselves to the other person or feeling like someone is looking over our shoulder and judging. Beyond that amount we discuss it and decide if it's both of our best interests to buy the thing.

mishka
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM
We split 50/50 and have separate bank accounts, though I've been pushing to open a joint account for bills and groceries. The boy is resistant to that idea because it would mean changing over a whole bunch of automated payments and transferring money into that joint account on a regular basis. I think a joint account would get rid of the whole "I spent this much on groceries and you bought dinner three times, so now I owe you this much and blah blah blah".

shananigans
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm a little ashamed to say that I let he-manigans take care of all the bills and bank/loan/payments stuff for everything. He'll fill me in and give me updates if there's something I need to know, but I pretty much get to stay out of it now. The first 5 years or so of cohabitation we split everything pretty much 50/50 regardless of individual incomes, but after we decided to pool our income (which was shortly after we began wedding planning) it just seemed easier to have one person be "in charge" of the bookkeeping. I deal with financial databases/reporting/billing as a big part of my day at work and taking care of little personal finance tasks is the last thing I want to do when I get home.

ETA: I just realized I didn't answer the poll or the original question really. Since I make more money now I guess I proportionally pay more on our household expenses. Doesn't really bother me, the way I see it we are in this to support one another, and sometimes that means financially. Earlier in our relationship he-mainigans would often cover meals out, or more groceries, and other little extras when nearly 100% of my income was going to my 1/2 of the rent and utilities. We’re in the same boat now, sink or swim together. :) Oh, and all non-vital/extra expenditures are agreed upon jointly now, but we're pretty easy going about it.

Dugan
02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
We split almost all joint expenses 50/50 with me tracking & paying bills. Otherwise, all monies are separate. Things that we split: utility bills, my mortgage payment, groceries (with some exceptions), household shopping. If something is clearly for the house (like the reshingling) I pay for it since the house is mine.

This has worked well for both of us. Half of my mortgage payment is close to 1/2 what he kicked in for rent with his roommate. His car insurance dropped with the address change. His food bills dropped because he used to eat out, or eat prepared foods almost all the time.

Another advantage is that neither of us stresses or complains about random purchases, things that the other might feel are frivolous or spendy, because it's coming out of that person's pocket.

squirrel
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
His mom told me about two separate girls that drained him of his bank account a few years ago. I didn't want to be "those girls" so I always paid my own way, paid him back right away if I borrowed money, or paid him back when he got me groceries, or just got them the next time. I am wondering how to go from that to "hey, so ummm....you wanna pay more money towards bills?" (Or something better sounding than that, obviously)
We are looking for a house, and he worries that I won't be able to cover my "half." I would be able to if my half and his half were....adjusted. ;)

bumblebee
02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
He pays the bills, but I occasionally make a good bit in the stock market, and will make a major purchase for us. I made enough last year for a Prius, but we haven't bought it, yet. If the market drops much more, I may reinvest the $.
We don't have mine and yours, it's all "ours".

gladcow
02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
we have always shared an account, even before we were married. it made sense at the time, all my money was in a credit union an hour from where I was living and he had a free checking account :p over our marriage, there have been times when I haven't worked and he's supported us. it hasn't always been easy to share money, but we've also tried partial separation of funds and that was worse. currently we each get an "allowance" that is spent without the other partner's consent. any other purchase needs to be talked about in advance.

squirrel
02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I think that's a good idea, say we each get $50 (or whatever) a month and the rest goes in a joint account....must think more...

Miso Vegan
02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Nanashi and I are proportional. He makes a lot more money than I do (probably 2-3 X as much), and has more of a mind for it. (Not that I'm unable to grasp complex financial concepts, but I am uninterested and he actually takes an interest in it.) He generally pays the household bills and the mortgage, and soon I will be on his health insurance so that will come out of his paycheck. Big expenses, like a big car tune-up/repair, he pays.

Aside from bills, I generally pay for my son's small-to-medium expenses (insurance, school, childcare, some summer camp, clothing, snowboard program), and my own smaller expenses (such as gas, clothing, gifts, sundries). Since most of the groceries come from my work, I usually pay that and Nanashi gets the produce.

We have separate accounts, though the credit cards are shared. When I use them, typically only for things that cost more than is in my bank account, he pays those bills.

I am the spender, and I'm trying to rein that in. In part because we have both been living beyond our income for awhile and that obviously can't last, and in part because I feel I should have some money for bills so that Nanashi doesn't have to constantly be the bill-payer.

I have to say, I would be very upset if my husband insisted on me paying 50% of bills if he made much more than me. I would feel that he was valuing my financial contribution more than my personhood, and placing unrealistic expectations on me, and it just feels stingy.

There is a difference between equality and equity. With equality, everyone pays for what they use. After all, that's fair, right? And with roommates, or other less-commited relationships, that makes sense. But with equity, everyone's situation is taken into consideration and their ability to contribute may be adjusted accordingly. Which is also, I would argue, fair.

sgain, I suggest an honest conversation about it with him. If you are buying a house, you are moving into a new level of partnership, and that puts your relationship with him far beyond the relationships he had with those women who drained his bank account. If he continues to insist on 50/50, then he is in effect saying that you are as dangerous to his security as those women, which does not give you and your relationship due credit. He should have as much interest in *your* financial and emotional security as in his own. And you two are not roommates - your future is intertwined with his, so what's good for you is good for him.

La Végétalienne
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
We have a joint account and separate accounts. Each of us puts a portion of our income in the joint account, and half in our own account.
So where does the rest go? :p

There is a difference between equality and equity. With equality, everyone pays for what they use. After all, that's fair, right? And with roommates, or other less-commited relationships, that makes sense. But with equity, everyone's situation is taken into consideration and their ability to contribute may be adjusted accordingly. Which is also, I would argue, fair.
+1

MissLovely
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I can't say 50/50 because we only have "ours." Since before my husband and I married, our money was spent and used mutually. I spent 5 years at home with our kids, mostly because with their ages childcare wouldn't have been cost effective.

gladcow
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I spent 5 years at home with our kids, mostly because with their ages childcare wouldn't have been cost effective.

+1

shananigans
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Miso is so wise :cool:

bumblebee
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
His mom told me about two separate girls that drained him of his bank account a few years ago. I didn't want to be "those girls" so I always paid my own way, paid him back right away if I borrowed money, or paid him back when he got me groceries, or just got them the next time. I am wondering how to go from that to "hey, so ummm....you wanna pay more money towards bills?" (Or something better sounding than that, obviously)
We are looking for a house, and he worries that I won't be able to cover my "half." I would be able to if my half and his half were....adjusted. ;)

My oldest daughter said that you should ask to move to a crappier house, so that you can afford to pay your half. Of course, she meant this very tongue in cheek. :)

Ariann
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Miso, right on with everything.

squirrel
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
My oldest daughter said that you should ask to move to a crappier house, so that you can afford to pay your half. Of course, she meant this very tongue in cheek. :)
:laugh:
She makes a good point! The house we are looking at right now is $135,000. With our down payment and possibly if we can get more off that, it's not going to be that expensive. Plus it has a big yard for the doggies.:)

Chijou_no_seiza
02-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I voted that I live in the wilderness :p

But when grog and I were long distance we used to split our travel expenses 50/50. At first. Then when I was having trouble making my rent (after much stress on my part for feeling unfair and lame) we agreed to do it proportionally, it was something like he makes 10 times more money than I made... because I was a part-time student and he has a full time career. Eventually we did a flat rate since I was still struggling from time off for summer school.

Now he's my sugar groggy (:laugh:) and pays for everything except my gas, application fees, clothing, and travel expenses back home. But once I'm on my feet again I plan to buy groceries and contribute to the living expenses like gas, water, etc, but I don't think I will ever make as much as he does so 50/50 wouldn't be practical imo.

foodlovingvegan
02-25-2009, 12:22 AM
For roommates, I think 50/50 is fair. For spouses 50/50 or whatever they agree on, like if the wife is a housewife then obviously she won't be paying bills but will be paying in labor.

nauthiz
02-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Nautherz fills out a time sheet and all that jazz.

I pay her paychecks before we calculate what everyone's share of the bills is.

ganymeder
02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
We have one account. My hubby is the breadwinner, but I've worked off and on. All the money is ours, not designated hers and his, so I'm not sure what to check off on your poll. We just pay our bills with the money out of our account. There is no difference. All our bills are joint, regardless of whose name is on it. So again, I have no idea what to check on the poll.

La Végétalienne
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Nautherz fills out a time sheet and all that jazz.
I pay her paychecks before we calculate what everyone's share of the bills is.

Really?

nauthiz
02-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, she even has a W-2 on file with me.

La Végétalienne
02-25-2009, 01:19 PM
A real one? Can I ask how you came up with this system?

nauthiz
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
It just popped into my head about 4 hours and 45 minutes ago.

La Végétalienne
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
<~~Has a really hard time distinguishing sarcasm, especially online.

squirrel
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
:laugh:

Emiloid
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I think it makes sense to have a shared checking account and separate accounts. That way you can get your own things without having to think twice about it, and you can pay bills without having to keep track of who paid what and when. You could even have a joint savings account if you're trying to save up for a house or something. How much goes into the joint accounts would depend on your expenses, but in my opinion it should be a percentage of your paychecks.

That said, it's not what my parter and I are doing! He likes to keep track of his expenses down to the penny (really!), so it would mess up his system to pay into a joint account. Maybe someday? :p It doesn't matter that much to me... I think the most important thing is to be flexible. The point is to keep either person from feeling cheated, right? What that means in practice is going to depend on the people.

In the past, I've been in situations where I paid most of the expenses, and then other times when I paid what I could. Looking back, it seems to all balance out. Even if I've ended up paying more money in the long run (which I probably have), there are other payoffs, in my opinion.

Miso Vegan
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
That said, it's not what my parter and I are doing! He likes to keep track of his expenses down to the penny (really!)

I thought Nanashi was my partner! :confused:

Even if I've ended up paying more money in the long run (which I probably have), there are other payoffs, in my opinion.

Exactly.

La Végétalienne
02-25-2009, 09:17 PM
He likes to keep track of his expenses down to the penny (really!),
Wait, you mean everyone doesn't do that? :p My roommate last year told me that she doesn't even read her bank statements. I, on the other hand, track everything in a spreadsheet. I'm just glad we weren't sharing any expenses!

tin can
02-26-2009, 04:39 AM
I keep track of everything with spreadsheets and all that too. :)

Dugan
02-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Me three. How can you not look at your bank statements???!?

Ariann
02-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't look at my bank statements. I look at my accounts online every few days and watch out for suspiciousness and to make sure important checks went through. The statement doesn't say anything different. I was already fairly lax about such things, but I had to learn to be even more lax when I got married because my husband doesn't have any idea what's going on with his money (not that knowing would change anything). I've gone through different systems of budgeting/spreadsheet tracking, but I found them all pointless in the end. However, when I was really poor I would split up cash into different envelopes to budget for food, entertainment, etc. and that was helpful because when the money ran out, I was done spending for the month.

Miso Vegan
02-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I also don't look at bank statements. I used to pour over them monthly, check everything. So many times I found errors, and I'd go to the bank and ask them WTF, and it always turned out to be my error.

Now I glance at my online statement every so often.

I also have an overdraft account, so I never have to worry if a check is going to clear.

tin can
02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't look at my bank statements.

I also don't look at bank statements.

Ha! Despite using spreadsheets to keep track of our finances, I don't pay much attention to bank statements either - just a quick glance online when they come each month (I don't get paper ones any more). My spreadsheets just make sure that there is money available for everything, so cheques (rare though they are nowadays) and card payments won't bounce - we have overdrafts as well, just in case. Money for luxuries like going to the cinema or whatever gets transferred from the saving account on each occasion. I have been through many more- and less-time-consuming systems over the years, and this one seems to have the balance about right (for me, at the moment).

squirrel
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I look online, too. :)

La Végétalienne
02-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I just think keeping a detailed spreadsheet with lots of formulas and columns to match up is fun. :uhoh:

Emiloid
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong... I definitely keep track of my money. Just not down to the penny. I check my statements, balance my checkbook, etc. It's just that if I take some cash out of an account and spend it, I don't reconcile all my spending against the cash I took out. And if I find a penny or something on the ground, I don't write it down. I just pocket it and eventually spend it.

But my partner... I'm talking pennies, people! Pennies! :p

squirrel
05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
One more question about bill paying. Do you pay online to eliminate paper waste or send them by snail mail? I want to start paying mine online (for not only the environmental issue but because then I know they'll get there on time and I can wait until it's actually due instead of trying to guess when they'll actually get there and mailing them on time) but my fiance is askeerd someone will say "Your identiteez. I haz dem."

gladcow
05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
my husband has been paying our bills online for years. we've had no issues with privacy protection. I think it really depends on how you are doing the online bill paying (ie is it via your bank or via the people you owe money to) and how much you trust the people running the show. the husb pays thru our bank, who he trusts a lot.

squirrel
05-04-2009, 02:29 PM
So he sets it up with the bank and they pay it for him?

gladcow
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
he signed up with the bank, and then every month he uses their online interface to schedule the payments.

vegankitty
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I pay online.You still need to send early in some cases-I paid my cell phone bill on the due date once only to find out the bank cut a check and mailed it.

tin can
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I pay by Direct Debit as much as possible (bill company claims the appropriate money direct from my bank account on the agreed date). Do you have something like that in America?

michiganveganchick
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I pay everything online on the dates of my paychecks. First monthly paycheck = mortgage and condo association dues; second paycheck = everything else.

you can set up automatic payments each month that will come out of your account on the same day every month. I know people who have had problems with companies not taking the payment out at all, or taking out 2 payments at once, so I would rather do the transactions myself each month. I also don't trust the US mail, so online payments take away the uncertainty of the payments arriving safely. :p

Online is quick and easy for me, and it helps me keep on budget by watching what is going out, and know what's left for groceries, fun, etc.

sane-ax_addict
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
i can't really vote... we dont' actually divide anything up. if it needs to be paid, which ever of us has the cash just pays it.

Miso Vegan
05-04-2009, 07:12 PM
my husband has been paying our bills online for years. we've had no issues with privacy protection. I think it really depends on how you are doing the online bill paying (ie is it via your bank or via the people you owe money to) and how much you trust the people running the show. the husb pays thru our bank, who he trusts a lot.

That's exactly what I do/think. I have no idea if I'm right to think that! :laugh:

Ariann
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I have lots of things on direct debit (from a credit card, not from my bank account): gym fees, car insurance, phone bill, etc. Health insurance is direct debited from our checking account (which makes us really nervous about the first of the month which is sometimes a couple days before a pay check!). I pay rent through my building's site online. I pay credit card bills online through the banks' web sites. The only thing I pay by hand now is our cable and electric bill, but that's just because I haven't gotten around to setting them up online yet. In any case, the Internet already haz your identity. Bill paying is one of the safer things you can do online with your financial information, I wouldn't worry about that.

bluedawg
05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
our money is all in a joint pool, so i didn't vote. we've had it that way since before we got married; i think it was around the time we moved in together and started splitting the rent/bills.

we pay our bills online, through our bank (wells fargo). i like it a lot... less paper, no stamps to buy, all that good stuff. most payments process in 2-3 days, so you don't have to worry as much about mail and holidays and all of that, but keep in mind that the payments are not instantaneous... the bank still has to do their thing and the company still has to process it, etc.

we also have some things deducted automatically... our car insurance, farm sanctuary sponsorship, yearly gym fee, etc. but for the vast majority of monthly bills, i process those myself (usually right away, when we get paid on the 1st).

squirrel
05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Sounds good, everyone! As soon as I get back online at home, I'll set up all our accounts to be paid online, I think I'll set it up so that I go in and pay them, because I don't fully trust my bank. They "misplaced" the title to my truck, didn't realize they did it, and then called me asking me to send it to them. :umm: They're good otherwise, and based right here through work, so I'll stay with them but pay my bills myself. Thanks for all the advice! (as always!) :)

Emiloid
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I prefer paying bills by check. I have one bill that I got transfered to online billpay and I really don't like it! It makes me nervous. Plus, it messes up by record-keeping.

When I pay by check, I write the check number, amount, and date right on the bill (the part I keep, I mean), then I record it in my checkbook. I file the bills, but I can always cross-reference when and how I paid it, if I need to. It's a little obsessive, but I like having a physical bill to pay, write on, and file.

When the money is automatically taken out of my account, I feel like it's just sort of going away....

JasperKat
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
When I pay by check, I write the check number, amount, and date right on the bill (the part I keep, I mean), then I record it in my checkbook. I file the bills, but I can always cross-reference when and how I paid it, if I need to. It's a little obsessive, but I like having a physical bill to pay, write on, and file.

I do the same thing! Except I don't keep a transaction register for my checkbook, I enter it into Quicken.

-JK

squirrel
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
So I set up all our accounts online, paid a few bills, thought all was going great, I made a spreadsheet with all the bills and when the payments were due, the account numbers and password, etc....until we got the mail today and found 3 returned bills, 2 of which now have $109 total worth of late fees and returned check fees. I log onto my bank account, and see "error-returned check" next to all of them. I have more than enough money in the bank to cover all of these!!! WTF! I am absolutely LIVID right now. Rhino is pissed at me because he warned me not to pay the bills online because stuff gets screwed up and I can't even say anything to defend myself about it. I know it's not a math error, I have the money in there. It's got to be something like my bank must have thought someone was hacking or something and denied the checks, but why the hell didn't anyone call me FIRST before sending those checks back? Now I have late fees on top of hurting our credit on top of returned check fees. Plus I got home after the bank closed so now I have to sit and stew over this all night.
I could just scream I am so pissed right now. :bomb:

Chijou_no_seiza
06-04-2009, 06:12 PM
argh!

I love being to pay things online, but it is SO SO annoying when they do crap like that to you.

much pity and hopefully if you call them they can take off some charges for you.

Dugan
06-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I've never had a bit of trouble paying on line. I tend to be maybe too detailed... I pay at least 2 weeks prior to due date and go in a few days later to make sure the payments went through.

If you had the money there, I would definitely make a call to the bank and take it up with them. I doubt they'd eat the late fees, but perhaps a call to the vendors and explaining the situation to them would result in them waiving the fees.

Good luck.

KaliMama
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I recommend switching to a credit union. In my experience, they tend to have WAY lower fees and are more likely to waive them in situations like yours, sgain.

squirrel
06-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks, everyone.
I am actually with a credit union already. I make the mistake always of calling them all banks...it's easier to say and type. lol
The fees are on the side of the debtor.
I did check to see that they went through, and they did, on May 19th. They weren't reversed until today, two weeks later, which I just don't understand.
I just hope to get the fees reversed. I tried really hard to get everything perfect and so I can manage it all, and I didn't need such a stupid setback, especially at the tune of $109. :(

tin can
06-05-2009, 02:04 AM
If you pay online, there is an actual phyical check (or cheque :) :yuck: La Veg (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=380465&postcount=295))? It just get debited from your account electronically, like paying with a debit card over there?

nauthiz
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I have all my bills set to go through my debit card since there's a little more protection against those kinds of antics.

If I might ask, sgain is your credit union UWCU? I know when I tried it with them a couple years ago, I discovered the hard way that their check mailing setup is really wonky. For starters, all the checks are mailed out of some dark alley in New Jersey or somewhere like that. It confused the heck out of my landlord.

squirrel
06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Nauthiz, it's not that one you mentioned, but one that is actually in the hospital I work at, for the employees and patients. Another reason I'm ticked. They know I work here, (I mean they actually know who I am because I had some trouble with them losing my truck title, which is another headache altogether) they call me by name when I go in there to deposit/withdraw before they even look at my ID. If there was a problem, they know where to find me. I am going to call in a little while. I still don't trust myself not to start crying over the phone. I can just hear the tone of voice already..."I'm sorry, sgain, there's nothing we can do, we can't pay back those late/returned check fees." :mad:
All 3 bills were Rhino's accounts and he is so ticked at me right now. :(
ETA: I just got off the phone with them and they said it was totally their fult. their system went down and it not only happened to me but to many others as well, and they are going to pay the late/returned check fees back to me. i barely even had to start explaining and she knew what i was going to say. She was very reassuring and hopefully it all goes off without a hitch.
One last thing, though, will Rhino's credit be affected by this? I am thinking of having them call the companies and have them take it off the history.

michiganveganchick
06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry, sgain. That's stressful. :(

After you call the credit union, I'd give those 3 vendors a call and explain the situation. Especially since you attempted to make the payments and the money was there, you might be able to have them get rid of late payments.

squirrel
06-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks. :)
The credit union said they're going to give a call to the creditors, so hopefully they willl take that off the record now. They will cover the costs of the fees I got, too, so that's good.
My CU also informed me that I can't make online payments on his account anymore unless he's joint on my bank account, for which he has to come in and sign for. And since he didn't want me doing this in the first place, I am betting I will be mailing his bills from now on. He can buy the stamps from now on. :mad:
Geez, You try and do a good thing and it bites ya. I tell ya. Well, at least I can save some trees with my bills. :p

juicebox
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
We do 50/50 unless one of us has a sudden "windfall" of good fortune or one of us is struggling. We also piggyback our contributions because we're both students receiving financial aid.

For instance, I get my financial aid about a month before he does so I will pretty much pay for everything and keep track of the amount. Then when he gets his money he will pay me back and then help me a little until I get my next financial aid disbursement, and then I help him.

Also, if we know the other one is broke we will graciously pay for meals, etc. I am about to graduate and have an increase in income :banana:, so we will see what happens then! I think the joint expenses account with separate checking works well, but I don't know if I would contribute substantially more than him because I want him to have the incentive to earn more. If we were both in our set careers, however, I would definitely contribute more if I made more.

Emiloid
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm SO glad things worked out for you, sgain. I hope the whole thing gets resolved 100%.

I just started an online payment plan for my student loans, and it was really confusing at first. I think I've got it set up correctly now, but I don't exactly like doing it online. I only signed up for it because they drop the loan's interest rate by 0.25%... which adds up.

Also, I've been using GnuCash, which is an open-source (that is, free!) personal finance software. So far I really like it. :yes:

KaliMama
06-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Also, I've been using GnuCash, which is an open-source (that is, free!) personal finance software. So far I really like it. :yes:

Yeah! :banana:

KaliMama
06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
My banana froze!