PDA

View Full Version : Got Milk?

Jimsa
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Okay, I searched the forum. (hopefully thoroughly enough) And didn't come across a poll/topic about individual milk preferences. So Ive comprised a list of the different vegan friendly milks I know of. Please chime in if I'm leaving one out.

-Soy Milk
Arguably the most popular milk alternative, it has almost as much protein as regular milk with far less fat and no cholestorol. To make things even easier, soy milk can be found in most grocery stores at a fairly cheap price. Made from the soy bean, this tasty Chinese non-dairy milk can be bought in plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors.

-Rice Milk
Rice milk is the equivalent of the dairy skim milk. It's consistency is thinner than soy and regular milk, and has a lower protein content. Rice milk is predominately used in the baking of desserts, mostly due to its naturally sweet flavor. However, you can buy rice milk as a beverage in plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors as well.

-Almond Milk
Besides beans and rice, nuts are also a predominant base for non-dairy milks and creams. This alternative has a creamy texture, and is best used in smoothies and desserts. Almond milk, dates back to the 1300s and can be made easily at your home by blending almonds, water and sweeteners such as vanilla or chocolate. Commercial almond milk comes in natural, vanilla and chocolate flavors.

-Coconut Milk
This is the most distinctive tasting milk. Coconut milk is harvested directly from the "meat" of a coconut. Coconut milk can easily be homemade. Upon preparation, grate the coconut meat, squeeze through cheesecloth and soak. Vegans can use coconut milk in tropical dishes and drinks to add thickness and flavor.

-Grain Milk
Also called oat milk, this vegan friendly milk can be made from grain, flour, oats, barley, rye or wheat. Grain milk has a lower protein content that its dairy counterpart, but has a higher carbohydrate concentration. It appears in desserts, over cereal and in Vegan smoothies.

-Hemp Milk
Is high in protein like soy milk, but hemp does not contain the phytic acid and trypsin inhibitors that soy does. Hemp milk is a good source of balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, unlike rice milk, and it also contains a wide range of naturally occuring vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, folic acid, iron, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamin and zinc

Personally I am a fan of rice milk for drinking, although I've never tried Grain or Hemp. And soy for baking and cooking.

Dandelion
02-20-2009, 09:13 PM
waaaait for it....

POTATO MILK!

(sorry, inside joke :))

squirrel
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm still trying different milks, so I haven't tried hemp, coconut or grain milk. I prefer soy milk for it's versatility, but I do love horchata and also almond milk is very yummy.

veganshawn
02-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I like them all, though Hemp has a taste that takes some getting used to if you plan on drinking it plain.

mishka
02-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I was never a fan of drinking milk, so I only use non-dairy milks in stuff. I make my own unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk, and we always have a huge container of chocolate soymilk for the boy, who is a junkie for the stuff.

downwithapathy
02-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Soy gets my vote, hands down. It may well be the most common for good reason (it's delicious!). :)

I like oat and hemp milks a fair bit, for what they are. Almond milk was okay, as I recall (I seem to have a vague memory of hazelnut milk as well--was I dreaming?) Rice milk tastes a lot like sugar water to me. :yuck: Still, I can handle it in small quantities.

Coconut milk only exists for cooking in my mind, but I sure love it in Thai food.

All in all, soy is the only "milk" I'd pour myself a tall glass of. :)

Miso Vegan
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't forget blends (soy/rice, for example)!

I like most except hemp, but I buy only soy regularly.

tin can
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Vanilla soya milk. :drool:

I use soya milk generally, because it is cheap and widely available. I find that all non-dairy milks vary significantly from brand to brand, though.

There is some very expensive almond and hazelnut milk (two milks, not both together) which is :drool: in hot chocolcate though!

Nice easy pudding: bananas in custard made with coconut milk. Again, :drool:.

ETA: I have tried home-machine-made soya milk too, and it is nice though more beany than commercial soya milk, but curdles more easily and a pain to wash the machine up, so now I stick to the shop stuff. :)

Rainwish
02-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I tend to use the Silk Soy Milk the most because it's the most available (small town walmart has it). I haven't tried a lot of the different types honestly but so far I prefer Soy for cooking, Rice for Cereal or drinking and Almond was a nice change but a lot harder for me to get ahold of.

Calliope
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I never liked drinking milk either, so I only use the alternatives for things like cereal and baking, and I don't find much of a difference in taste in those situations. (I do LOVE chocolate soy and/or rice milk though. :drool: I can drink litres of that stuff.

I voted for almond milk, because I think taste wise, I like it the best, but I usually buy rice milk, because I can find it in fortified form. (Always good to get more vitamin D and B12, after all. ) I like soy too, but I tend not to buy it for at home, because I get soy in my diet in a lot of other places, and I'm of the mind that you really can have too much of a good thing, so I try not to overdo it.

Jimsa
02-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I think I dig Rice Milk over all for favor and and texture. I find that drinking straight soy milk is a little overwhelming. Now I'm on a mission to find out how to make Rice Milk at home.. I must make everything homemade to compare lol

ellysoar
02-20-2009, 10:58 PM
but I use different milks in different situations so how do I respond? Almond milk is the best, but too expensive to buy regularly. Rice milk (original enriched) is for cereal, and soy milk (orginal enriched) for baking - pancakes, cakes, etc. I never liked drinking milk either and have trouble not laughing when people (like my grandmother) tell me about them trying soy milk as a beverage - sounds disgusting to me -- too thick. But I can manage to finish off the rice milk at the bottom of the cerealbowl sometimes if it's been on a sweetened cereal.

JasperKat
02-21-2009, 05:43 AM
/hijack: Jimsa, what is your avatar from?

-JK

Jimsa
02-21-2009, 08:57 AM

-JK

Random google search :p

JasperKat
02-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Ah. Years ago Mr Kat and I went to a concert and one of the booths there was selling patches. I was browsing around and found one with your avatar image on it. The dude at the booth sold it to me for 2 cigarettes :p

-JK

Jimsa
02-21-2009, 09:07 AM
The dude at the booth sold it to me for 2 cigarettes :p

-JK

Haha nice. Good ole barter system never fails. :)

Ariann
02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I prefer almond milk and around here it's the same price as soy (~$2/quart), so no problem there. I only really use milks in cooking or on cereal. If I had to drink a glass of milk, though, it'd probably be Chocolate Silk.

michiganveganchick
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
The only milk I like plain is chocolate silk, but I will drink plain soy in flavored lattes, on cereal, or in baking. I like rice milk, but haven't tried any of the other milks.

KaliMama
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM

-JK

Ah. Years ago Mr Kat and I went to a concert and one of the booths there was selling patches. I was browsing around and found one with your avatar image on it. The dude at the booth sold it to me for 2 cigarettes :p

-JK

ALF has used this symbol. A few organizations have used it, some with text (ANIMAL LIBERATION - HUMAN LIBERATION is pretty common.) NWAR in the UK uses it with a star background (http://www.nwar.org.uk/links.html), which is nice.

Anywho, it's creative commons licensed, so anyone can use it. Even you.

LInky (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Animallib.gif).

bekah-chan
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
i chose soymilk.
it is generally the cheapest option, easiest to find, and most versatile.

vanilla rice milk holds a special place in my heart though, so yummy :heart:

also, i have never tried hemp milk, or grain milk for that matter.

eta: i, like some of the other vrfers that have posted here, never liked to just drink a big glass o' milk. so i don't really do that with any milk alternative, except silk chocolate and eggnog! and occasionally vanilla rice milk.

lamb
02-21-2009, 09:53 PM
The only milk I like plain is chocolate silk,

woo! Same here, I can drink a jug of that stuff in two days, but otherwise I only use regular silk in cereal and baking

TressaLou
02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm supposed to avoid unfermented forms of soy as much as possible (thanks to a health condition I have), so I stick with rice milk for cooking and making hot cocoa. I really don't drink milk plain or put it on cereal, so these are really my only uses for milk anyway. When I go out for coffee, I do drink soy though, because that's the only non-dairy option.

La Végétalienne
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Soy all the way. I think rice milk is too thin and has a weird aftertaste. I don't think I've tried any other kind. I also don't drink it straight, except chocolate.

Dugan
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I so rarely try commercial non-dairy milks any more that I don't know what my fave would be.

Reminds me of the Dogworks (http://dogworks.com/)logo

wildmindgirl
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I used soy milk for years but never really liked it. Once I tried rice milk, there was no going back. I like that...for me, there's no strong taste. It's just sort of mild and pleasant.

VegeTexan
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't drink milks, once in a rare while some chocolate soymilk. Yum.
I use unflavored unsweetened Westsoy for 'Cream of ' soups.

peaches
02-23-2009, 02:35 AM
soy

when i was younger and my parents first turned vegi, we were mostly vegan for a while and the stores in our town didn't have soy milk so we drank rice milk and it is NOT GOOD on honey nut cheerios or rice krispies... so i think i'm biased

gladcow
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I used to love drinking cow's milk. I'd have a glass or three a day. when I went vegan, I just stopped drinking milk, because none of it tasted "right" to me. now I still don't drink milk often, but I am able to finally like the taste of soy milk on my cereal! If money weren't an option, I'd drink almond milk. since money is an option, we mainly drink soy and buy almond for a treat occasionally. I am not a fan of the hemp milk or the rice milk :yuck:

quagga
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
If money weren't an option, I'd drink almond milk. since money is an option, we mainly drink soy and buy almond for a treat occasionally.

You should try making your own almond milk as a treat! I know, even bulk almonds are expensive, but one cup of almonds makes about 3 cups of almond milk. No special equipment required except cheesecloth or a nylon straining bag. I've only used raw almonds, but I think tonight I will try some toasted almonds.

I'm an DIY almond milk fiend ever since I tried it a few weeks ago.

gladcow
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
thank you quagga, but I got my fill of milk making when the husb was raw. we are thinking of getting a milk making machine, which would make me significantly less cranky about the whole idea :p

tin can
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
we are thinking of getting a milk making machine, which would make me significantly less cranky about the whole idea :p

Until you come to wash it up. Trust me. :p

gladcow
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
that is reason numero uno that we don't have one yet. because I have a juicer and it taught me that lesson real good.

:D

who wants to be my live-in dishwasher? free food!

quagga
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
who wants to be my live-in dishwasher? free food!

Don't tempt me! I'm due for a career change. :blank:

tin can
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
We have one. Sitting on top of the top cupboard, where it's been for at least a couple of years since its last use. The juicer, sadly, is no longer with us. :blank:

gladcow
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't tempt me! I'm due for a career change. :blank:

we also have free dogs to charm you. and a very uncomfortable hide-a-bed :p

or, we could all move here (http://www.pringlecreek.com/) together and start a vegan commune. take the whole place over!

Dugan
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
You should try making your own almond milk as a treat! I know, even bulk almonds are expensive, but one cup of almonds makes about 3 cups of almond milk. No special equipment required except cheesecloth or a nylon straining bag. I've only used raw almonds, but I think tonight I will try some toasted almonds.

I'm an DIY almond milk fiend ever since I tried it a few weeks ago.

I've used both raw and toasted, but never just straight almond milk using a soy milk maker. The SoyaPower's ratio differs a little from yours. It's about 2/3 cup dry whatever (soy beans, grains, nuts), soak several hours, to make approximately 5 cups milk.

I agree, it's fiddly to wash - I need a toothbrush to get the filter cup clean. I mitigate that somewhat by usually making 3 batches every time I make it. It takes me about a week to drink them and none have spoiled in that time. I clean the machine less thoroughly between batches than I do when we're done, so it's less time since I'm not giving it the super-thorough scrubbing every time. I doubt I'd use it if I had to make it every day. As it is, it's a pain to clean, but the significant savings over buying milk makes it worthwhile to me.

Next making, I'll try an almond-only batch, 'cause now I'm curious!

quagga
02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I've used both raw and toasted, but never just straight almond milk using a soy milk maker.

Actually, I make almond milk using a blender only. My soymilk maker (1) doesn't do a good job of breaking down the almonds, even if they're well soaked and (2) heats up the milk, which I don't want to do with the almond milk.

So 1C soaked almonds gets drained and dumped into the blender with the 3C of water, then I pour it all into a nylon bag and squeeze out the rest of the milk.

Compared to the soymilk maker, cleanup is easy, but the yield is smaller.

VegeTexan
02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
I am tempted by that, but I would have to go to Walgreens and buy some nylons and the clerk would look at me funny.

quagga
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I am tempted by that, but I would have to go to Walgreens and buy some nylons and the clerk would look at me funny.

:laugh:

You can buy a dedicated nut milk bag for about $8 OR you can do as the raw food lady in my town does: go to a home supply center and buy a paint compressor filter bag for about $2.

Dugan
02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Quagga - you're right, the blender does sound easy. I'd forgotten that nut milks don't need to be heated like soy milks. I wonder if all legume milks should be heated? When I tried making soy milk with a blender, it was the heating and handling very hot things that made it more difficult.

With the SoyaPower, there is a variety of settings. I've been using the one-touch option that grinds and heats. It's ground everything nicely so far, but that hasn't included any batch of only larger items like almonds. It's supposed to be able to grind and not heat, so I'll have to remember that.

I'm trying in vain to resist making a joke about VegeTexan wanting nylons for nut squeezing...

La Végétalienne
02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
:!:

tin can
02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Where's the 'in vain'? I'm seeing no jokes! Stop resisting!

gladcow
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I love to say "nut milk bag" :laugh:

I lost my nut milk bag, though, so I have to go find a new one :(

VegeTexan
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
:laugh:

&

I have no sense of humor.

Liar.

foodlovingvegan
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
I like rice milk so much I really feel no need to try any others, although I have had soy and almond. I liked the almond milk; soy, not so much. I can stand vanilla soy milk though.

hebejeebies
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Almond is so yummy and affordable. Plus it is good for your skin and the one I have has 30% of my calcium per serving! YUMness

Jessica?
03-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Almond breeze all the way!!

abbicus
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I use unsweetened almond milk in my coffee and cereal because it has the fewest calories. For baking I usually use soy milk because it is the most widely available and I can usually find some on sale, making it cheaper than other options.

If I were to disregard these two factors, I would purchase hempmilk.

shananigans
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I love hempmilk! But even when I can find it on sale it's still pretty expensive. Oatmilk is good too, but the only brand I can find here is highly sugared.

vegg
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
soymilk it is of course, but I am not crazy about plain soymilk. chocolate is my favorite.

La Végétalienne
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I found kamut milk at the grocery store. Has anyone ever tried that?

quagga
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Kamut, eh? Good god, those vegans will try making milk out of anything!! :p :laugh:

No, I haven't tried it. It probably tastes great, at least as good as my white bean (instead of soybean) milk. :p :rolleyes:

What's getting into me today? I'm not usually like this.

La Végétalienne
03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure that it's vegans behind this. I will investigate further next time!

gladcow
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I've not tried kamut milk as it's full of the demon spawn (aka gluten :skull:)

tin can
03-30-2010, 03:07 AM
What's a kamut?

Dugan
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Kamut is a kind of wheat, here's a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamut) article.

ETA: and an official (http://www.kamut.com/) website.

tin can
03-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks, Dugan. :)

Dugan
03-30-2010, 06:36 AM
I've been brave enough to try rice, oats, and barley when making soy milk. Also soy beans, garbanzaos, navy beans (thanks for the idea, Quagga!), cashews, almonds and pepitas. I haven't tried anything wheaty because I didn't know what the gluten would do. My current fave blend: soy bean, barley, pepita.

TressaLou
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the random questions thread, but here it is. Why do you suppose non-vegans think it's ok to drink cow milk but are totally grossed out by the thought of drinking human milk when they're no longer babies?

VegeTexan
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
The power of advertising.
A lifetime of "Milk, it does a body good" "Milk builds strong bones" "Milk helps you lose weight" and other propaganda campaigns.

TressaLou
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
but human milk is still milk...

P.S. My cousin found a recipe for making yogurt out of human milk. She makes it for herself and her baby. I'm thinking of doing it too!

MsMariah
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
I love almond breeze...

and LOL at TressaLou - Real good question! My husband was telling this lady how crazy I was for not drinking milk "imagine, she think's it's unhealthy, haha" he said. The lady said "actually it's odd, humans are the only mammals who consume milk after weaning, also odd is that we're the only mammals who would consider drinking a different species milk". I swear you could see the animated hearts bulging from my eyes when I was looking at her, and it sure shut him up. She wasn't even vegan.. just stating a curious fact.

VegeTexan - Oh so true, I'm so happy that my daughter is finally realizing advertising for the pitch that it is, I wish the rest of the american herd would get wise like a 9 year old.

shananigans
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
I've heard that drinking human breast milk at any age is a somewhat common practice on Mongolia. I don't have any interest, but don't see a reason not to if one is inclined.

TressaLou
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Interesting, shananigans.

downwithapathy
04-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure I like term breast milk. It seems to imply that milk not from human mothers was synthetically formulated in a lab or factory somewhere.

That wasn't in response to anyone here. :)

Dugan
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Agreed. It contributes to de-animalizing milk as a product.

TressaLou
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
That makes sense. So, what should we call it? Human milk?

Dugan
04-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Works for me.

VegeTexan
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I was going to say "Let's call it tit sucking, but I'd get a lot of google hits with that,

but then I thought....OMG that's not a nice thing to say to a bunch of mostly women who are vegan, so let's just pretend I kept my big mouth shut and said "soy"
"yum soy milk."

La Végétalienne
04-02-2010, 01:12 AM
You know, there *is* an edit button on here... ;)

VeganFromHell
04-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Soy milk, although I do love Hazelnut and Almond Rice Dream.

steven1222
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I prefer smooth soy milk for its flavor as well as nutritionally. I had some in cereal last week and liked it a lot. It also has higher levels of most minerals than cow milk and comparable protein, with very little saturated fat. Almond and coconut milks are too fatty to taste good and the latter is heart disease in a carton.