PDA

View Full Version : NsNatas's Vegan Toronto/Halifax Story

nsnatas
02-05-2009, 05:53 AM
... Where do I start on this one?

So, I've been a vegetarian on and off (for about 10 years out of the past 15), but after reading a book called "The Food Revolution" by Robbins, decided that true veganism is the way for me. Cannot continue to support the inhumane treatment of animals... Even through the dairy and egg industries (Don't cows and chickens have their own families to feed and nurture?). I know, probably sounds crazy to take it that far, but I don't think these are stupid creatures at all, and so I refuse to commoditize them.

I've decided not to purchase no more animal-based products (including leather, furs, even foods containing gelatin, lard, honey), but have decided that what I've already bought as far as clothing, shoes and accessories I will keep until no longer useable, then replace with vegan goods (down to only a few pairs of shoes, so can't afford to go barefoot).

Hmmm... Interesting part is that down home (Halifax, I mean), where most of my family is, they have a hard time understanding my choice. So while they mean well, I'm sure most of them still believe that I can eat chicken or fish (one day, if you ask, I could tell you The Reunion Story). Still trying to bring them around to understanding what my lifestyle is about. The great part about it though is that they're willing to learn, it's just going to take my carnivore family a bit of time to get the hang of what it is I "do". :)

One of the hardest parts I'm finding of going vegan is being able to find great food without having to ask a bizillion questions at your average restaurants. Not only that, I work in the corporate world, where alot of venues involve the rampant use of meats, and in my circumstance - alot of wild game. As this whole lifestyle conflicts to the deep core of who I am, I've decided that owning my own business is the only way to go, and am in the process of building my exit plan, so I can go into business for myself and provide an eco, vegan and ethical work environment to my staff, and also create a fun, energetic, creative environment for like-minded individuals. So, hopefully this time next year, you'll be able to come out and support a new vegan venture!

Lastly, finding that vegan dating is non-existant, and would like to start (or be a part of) a social networking group for vegans... Dated too many "meatitarians" (trust me, some people actually refer to themselves as this) to know that I cannot be with a meat-eater long term without driving myself bonkers... lol...

Got any more questions? I'm a down-east chatter, so I'm more than willing to tell. Other than that, enjoy this site - I know I will :)

Tash.

Dugan
02-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Welcome to our craziness, nsnatas!

VegeTexan
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Welcome to VRF, NsNatas

stegan
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome! You'll definitely find plenty of like minded folks here.

sitting_vegan
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome! I want to hear the Reunion Story!

mishka
02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Welcome!

So, you're a Haligonian living in Toronto? (you don't mention that, but you mention Toronto in the thread title) If so, I can give you all kinds of information on meeting people in the city!

Provoked
02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Nice Meeting you - Welcome :)

nsnatas
03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey Everyone!

... I lost this site when my old laptop crapped out, but thankfully I've found it again, although a month later :) Thank you for the warm welcome - So appreciated!

I gotta go back and check the responses before I reply again :) XO guys & gals !

Tash.

nsnatas
03-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Mishka!

Yes, from Halifax, now living in Toronto - Please send me whatever info you have about meeting vegans in this city - so very appreciated!

Tash.