PDA

View Full Version : Kelly's story...

shedonteatmeat
02-21-2003, 07:30 AM
I've always been a really picky eater and one of those people that just didn't like eating meat...grossed me out. I've never drank milk either. (eggs very rarely) When I was 10, my parents moved us from New Jersey to the Florida Panhandle. Not too long afterwards, My dad had a brief stint with being _country_ and raised a pig and cow and turkeys for "food" and had tons of chickens for eggs. It started with a pig... a cute tiny little baby pig. They didn't tell us WHY it was there for awhile, we (myself, and my sister and brother) were just all amazed at how cute it was. Then I heard my dad call it "Pork Chops" and I threw a fit and questioned them. They finally admitted that they were raising it, taking it to be butchered, then filling the freezer...sooo I told them what disgusting people they were (I will give them this, they regret it now) and boycotted meat altogether to spite them. I didn't eat much to start with, just a few times a week, and just stuff that didn't look much like it started out as an animal so I could convince myself it was actually food. I didn't eat meat for a long time after this, but never actually called myself a vegetarian or bothered to learn anything on the subject at all. I just thought it was gross to eat a dead animal and didn't understand it. Then at the end of high school, I was in a bunch of cooking classes and somehow just ended up starting eating meat again...I guess because it was what was "normal" and what I "should be doing", which I know is just stupid, stupid, stupid. Then a few years later, after my son was born, I was eating a steak one day and looked at it and it was just grossing me out...a nasty slab of cow on my PLATE. ugh. I couldn't cook meat still...seeing it raw made me throw up, so my husband cooked it all, and I had just been going on in my naive state of ignore it until it resembles food and not death... then it just hit me how crazy it was that I had to convince myself that eating an animal was okay, when I knew it wasn't. I knew it was wrong. It wasn't me, so I decided to be true to myself and just stop eating it and put up with people thinking I was odd. My husband understood and agreed with me... knowing how nasty I thought it was. Not too long after, I got bored one day and did a search for "vegetarian" online... and started reading and reading... I honestly had never heard the word "vegan" before that, I really thought that vegetarian still meant someone that didn't eat meat, eggs or milk... and it never occured to me how many "normal" foods had that stuff in them. A friend of mine went vegetarian at the same time as I did, and I remember telling her "I'm not going to be one of those tree-hugging freaks"...then the more I read, it turned into "those people are right!" and I decided veganism was the right thing to do, so I did. My friend only lasted a few months vegetarian, and gave up. But I've been vegan since the spring of 2001 (wish I remembered the exact date! grrr!) My son is like me, never liked the taste/texture of flesh, so he only had a few bites of it in his life. Somehow my husband went from hardcore meateater, literally eating /just/ meat at all meals...to vegetarian! On his own, with no force from me! Just my mentioning things I read to him that had shocked me. My husband and son are slowly moving towards veganism (down to just cheese, which they gives up for weeks at a time and then relapse), but I am not going to push them, I want it to be their decision. My son is a hardcore little guy already at age 4 (4 on the 23rd!)...everytime he sees someone eating meat he tells them how horrible it is and that that is NOT food and it wants its mommy. lol. It's funny because it's the opposite of me. I personally, just sit away from any meat-eatin' and do my best to ignore it. Not Shae though, he gets straight up pissed and preaches about Boca meats and how animals are just like us with different languages. heehee :D

Whoa. That was longggggg. Sorry 'bout that!

Halfelf
02-21-2003, 08:56 AM
(wish I remembered the exact date! grrr!) Hehe... me too. I don't remember exactly when I went vegan. I can't even remember the month. All I know is that it was late winter... I think. I also don't remember when I went vegetarian. Or when me & my boyfriend's anniversary is for that matter... :eek:

veganelfgirl
02-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi Kelly! :D Glad to see another person from the old VMB over here.

Did your parents end up having the pig killed still??

That's great about your son being hardcore. :D And that's wonderful your husband made the switch on his own.

shedonteatmeat
02-21-2003, 11:30 AM
yep, they had it killed, and ended up giving away half the meat because my sister and I refused to eat it. THEN they took care of a cow for another guy to have killed. ugh. Even though it was years ago, it still makes me so mad. The only positive thing I can say is that, no they admit it was horrible to bond with an animal and then eat it and they are very open to eating vegan food with me... just still... grrrr!! I have pictures of the cow and pig on my refrigerator and I know it makes them feel guilty everytime they see them (good! hah!).

:)

Good to see you here too! Yayyy to davers for the new board!! woo!

VeganKen
02-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by shedonteatmeat My son is a hardcore little guy already at age 4 (4 on the 23rd!)...everytime he sees someone eating meat he tells them how horrible it is and that that is NOT food and it wants its mommy.

You're son sounds like a stitch! :laugh: My five year old neighbor said to me "You don't eat meat? I love meat! We eat that", pointing at the neighbor's cat. I'm not terribly fond of the kid. :rolleyes:

shedonteatmeat
02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Sheesh, that kid sounds scary! :o

Shae (my son) is halarious, I love it because he says all the things I'm thinking but have to be polite and not say! haha! :D

Now, He has offically uninvited his great grandmother from his birthday party because when we were discussing what food to serve she mentioned something with turkey in it. First he said "Granny remember I was mad at you on thanksgiving for not thanking the turkeys?..." then asked her to please not come to the party if she wants to eat animals. It kills me to have to explain to him that he can't be mean to people about meat...when I sooooo know how he feels! :laugh:

herbi
02-21-2003, 09:10 PM
:D Your son rocks!!! It must be so cool to have this little person around who can say what we all want to say, but in a cute little innocent way...

Argh. I sympathize with the pig/cow experience. When I was a kid in Germany (AF brat), our neighbor/landlord was a farmer. Couple pigs, couple cows, and a lotta rabbits. My brother and I each got to pick out a cute baby bunny one time to "raise," though really we did very little work. The farmer provided the food and the little hutch where they lived out back (now of course I'd never keep a rabbit in conditions like that!), my parents did a lot of the cleaning, etc... But I do remember feeding them treats and changing their water every day and petting them and talking to them and naming them... Anyway, I guess I knew that he raised his rabbits "for meat", but it was a very abstract concept for me. That is, until he walked in (no need for knocking between friends in such a small village) one evening while we were at the dinner table (spaghetti, with meat sauce of course), proudly holding our two bunnies, hanging upside down, DEAD AND SKINNED! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: We immediately burst into tears, and I almost threw up. He was baffled. Weren't we proud of the Animal Husbandry job we'd done? Hadn't we been looking forward to enjoying the "fruit" of our labors, perhaps in a nice Hassenpfeffer? My parents tried to politely excuse our childish naivete in their halting German and his tentative English, (actually, they were fairly disturbed too!) and he finally understood that we were city-folk and kindly took them away. He really was a very nice man, despite all that. And he paid us each the "market value" of the rabbits (and ate them himself). But even then, that was no consolation for me. Needless to say, we didn't agree to THAT little project again. Nor did I finish dinner! Hmm... I'm sure that had a lasting psychological effect on me that probably contributed to my vegan state today!

Anyway, Welcome Kelly! (And sorry to babble so long in someone else's Story! :rolleyes: )

shedonteatmeat
02-22-2003, 08:22 AM
herbi-

oh that is just horrible :cry: I can't even imagine.... I"m so sorry you had to go through that!*hug* At least it helped you be the person you are today!! :)

herbi
02-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by shedonteatmeat
*hug*

Thanks! :)

Dandelion
03-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Another veggie family, yay!
Too bad more kids don't see the connection between food and animals like your pig story. Although it was traumatic it did get you here but it shouldn't have to be like that. I went veggie the same exact way when i saw a bloody steak on my plate in front of me. I just remember my vegan date cause it was around NewYears, i round off to Jan 1 :).
Your son is so precious. It's awesome how innocent kids are and the way they speak their mind. Most of us would like to get away with that kinda behavior. ;)Those stories of Shae crack me up to no end! :laugh: Oh and props to your veggie hubby!
Nice seein ya around here again, your site rocks btw...it's in my bookmarks. :thumbsup:

Hugs for all!

shedonteatmeat
03-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome, dandelion :D I'm soooo glad you gave us a new happy-friendly vegan place! :banana:

I agree....it's really odd how few kids make the connection that steak= cow and all that. Or maybe alot do make the connection, but are silenced about it right away. I know I heard "You have to eat meat to live"..."Everrryyyonnnee eats meat"... "That's what they are there for!" etc etc, a million times. It kills me how few people actually care to think for themselves in such modern times instead of just spewing "facts" about what we are /supposed/ to be doing. Agh. I'm thrilled that my son cares enough to ask questions and understand rather than want to be like everyone else (since his daddy & I are the only non-meat-eaters he knows). And, ohhh how I wish I could get away with all the cute little comments he makes... and actually get people to eat veg around me just so that I'd be smilin'....*dreams*

Big thanks for the compliments on my site! We've been working hard on a how new look for it and updates & changes...so hopefully we'll have that up pretty soon. Along with mucho plugs for the coolest vegan message board around! ;)

shedonteatmeat
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
bumping my own thread for an update on my story. here it is 2007 and I'm still very vegan. Shae is much less militant these days, a very awesome vegan kid since the summer of '03? (i think!) He's still very proud of himself and very in love with the animals, but he's almost 8 now & realizes that veganism is just a part of who he is, it doesn't define him. Check out his blog (http://vegankid.blogspot.com/). My husband kept slowly transisitioning and went full-on vegan last february and hasn't looked back. it's awesome how many more vegan options & products are available to us now than their was just a few years ago. times are a changin!

the latest with me is that I'm designing & selling pins, lots of vegan ones, some political, some random cuteness. you can see them here- teeny tiny tantrums (http://www.teenytinytantrums.com). they'll also be available in the herbivore shop in portland before too long :D

anyway, there's our update! vegan-er as the days go by! glad to see everyone still representin here.

ps- i'll include my cute vegan kid just for funsies.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6749/1965/1600/shaevegan.jpg

dropscone
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Those pins are FANTASTIC!

I love the squirrel. Probably one of the cutest pins I've seen. I really like the owl too!

It says "all items shipped free" - does that include international postage?

ETA: Aww, I've just seen that on the main page it says to the continental united states is free, I was looking on the close-up pin page. :(

shedonteatmeat
01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
ummm I hope it says all orders within the us shipped free, or I'm screwed! hah! (point me to it if it isn't clear everywhere. I checked the main page and it's right)

I haven't figured out how much it'll cost me to ship internationally yet, but I'd be happy to do so! (it's on my to-do list anyway!)

thanks for the compliments! the squirrel one was inspired by a dear squirrely friend chester that turned my fireplace into a little condo and camped out for nearly a week. rascaly squirrel!

Miso Vegan
01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow, Kelly, them's cute.

The "free shipping" note is clear.

You should contact Sidecar about selling them. Let me know if you want contact info.

dropscone
01-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I clicked on the Barn Owl pin and in that page it says "all orders are shipped FREE" in pink lettering - nothing about where to. That's why I asked the question, though I then saw that it was within the US on the main page. I've just clicked into the Dino plant eater and that does the same thing, so you might want to change that :)

shedonteatmeat
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
crap, sorry! I'll fix it. husband did the site, he's not as detailed as I am.

so sorry bout that!

eta: oh lovely! haha those links were supposed to come down for now cause none of them were done and he had wrote silly stuff on each page. fantastik! thanks for the heads up dropscone!

Flower
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Love the blog and the buttons, kelly. So cute!

shedonteatmeat
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Love the blog and the buttons, kelly. So cute!

thanks flower! :D

shedonteatmeat
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow, Kelly, them's cute.

The "free shipping" note is clear.

You should contact Sidecar about selling them. Let me know if you want contact info.

thanks miso! I'd love contact info for sidecar. that'd be awesome :)

veggieliz
01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
i think its soooo cute that your son tells people eating meat is wrong.....i can just see it now....i know my children will end up saying random animal rights stuff to strangers..hahaaa, imagining a little boy saying that makes me happy.