PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian= 15 years! Vegan? 20 days!

jmerose
01-23-2009, 02:01 AM
I became a vegetarian when I was 12 years old. I didn't understand why I was petting and feeding my cat, but eating other animals. When I was in ninth grade I met a girl who was vegan. She was very inspiring but I fell prey to believing a stereotype... that she was militant or something. It felt like something I couldn't do.

Years went by and veganism just always seemed so far away from me, so hard. I mean, "how could i live without ice cream or cheese?"

I recently went on a cruise with my boyfriend and family. We told them ahead of time we were vegan (even though we weren't) in hopes of getting more food choices. Well, they made me a tofu stir-fry one day that obtrusively tasted like salt. I couldn't taste any of the natural flavors! So the next few nights we had other things, once they made fettuccine alfredo (after I confessed that I wasn't vegan, I just wanted more options...) It was AWFUL. I could taste the massive amounts of butter and cream. Just terrible.

Prior to my trip I discovered Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's podcast, "Food for Thought" on iTunes. She also has a wonderful website that showcases her cookbooks, dvds, etc. (google compassionate cooks!) I loaded several of them onto my iPOD and ended up having the flu for the whole trip.

Needless to say, I was very glad to have her podcasts with me! The topics run the gamut and she is just very encouraging and accepting. She ended up talking about baby cows relationships with their mothers. Unfortunately, the relationship only lasts for one to two days. The baby cows need the colostrum from their mothers milk to help them build their immune systems, otherwise they would probably be taken away immediately from these terrible factory farmers! After the day or two the babies are sent to grow into pregnancy machines or to be raised for slaughter (which eventually they all will). She talked about how the moms and babies cry and moan for each other after they are taken. This brought such sadness to my heart. I felt guilty. I felt inspired. I felt angry!!! How could I continue to eat like this?

I had a hankering after the cruise I would stop eating anything that came from animals. I had my last dairy meal (except for the one where the vegetarian/vegan restaurant didn't veganize my order!!! :/ ) at a Macaroni Grill in the Chicago airport in which we had a layover on the way home to San Diego. It was disgusting. How can anyone think that much cream is good for you or even good tasting? It made my stomach hurt.

I am so grateful that I have finally come to my senses and and have decided to pursue a life that tries to do the least harm possible to other living creatures. It's so exciting to pick up a cookbook (La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer being my first) and create nourishing and scrumptious meals! Some things take trial and error but knowing that an animal did not suffer for my selfishness makes it all worth while.

Dugan
01-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Welcome, jmerose.

sitting_vegan
01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Welcome!

Calliope
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Welcome!! :) La Dolce Vegan was my first vegan cookbook too. :)

VegeTexan
01-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Welcome to VR.

Provoked
01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi! jmerose! So it was dairy calves that did it for you too - Their fate is a sad one...
I agree that Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is inspiring... I'm going to a cooking/dinner demo of hers in a few weeks... Yikes! I can't wait!
Anyway - glad you made it here! Very nice meeting you! :)