PDA

View Full Version : Bluedance's Vegan Story

bluedance
01-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Well, I grew up in an omni household and never thought twice about it. That was normal for us. Yet, I loved animals and had great compassion for them. I would do things to help them, like rescuing Junebugs from puddles after rain showers, helping lost and injured animals, playing with all of the animals in the neighborhood and doing pet sitting. I started to notice a serious contradiction in my behavior. Why was I eating animals when I loved them so much? Well, one omni argument on the subject, from someone I trusted and respected on most subjects, was that certain animals were put on Earth by God for humans to eat. This person who made the argument was a really good person, but this was how he was raised, by people he really trusted and respected. That seemed to make sense to me, probably because eating meat was so ingrained in my behavior and I didn't know how to change that. A few years later, I gave more thought to not eating meat. It just didn't seem right. Yet, I was so caught up in trying to deal with my severe obsessive-compulsive disorder that I was doing all I could to make it through a day. I cut back on meat a little, but not too much. It took several years, but I finally got decent treatment for my O.C.D and began cutting back more on meat. I wish I had done it sooner, but I was so sick that focusing on anything other than basic survival seemed too difficult. I got to the point where I rarely ate meat and then, I was able to stop eating it completely. So, I decided to go on the internet to find out whatever I could about vegetarianism and that's when I found the truth about factory farming. I knew the industry was really bad, but I had no idea how bad. I was shocked at the extremely high levels of abuse and torture these animals suffered. I had been planning on converting to veganism gradually, but once I saw videos from factory farms, I said, "That's it. I'm going vegan right now!!!" I became almost vegan right away, but I did give in to a few dairy cravings. I felt guilty, but got support from vegans that said I should be patient with myself. So I was and that helped me to transition and realize that I could succeed at being vegan. I just needed a little time. Also, I got a tremendous amount of support from my fiance, who is omni. He has been cutting back on meat consumption and I'm extremely proud of and happy for him. He will go all over town to get me vegan specialty foods and makes sure that everyone knows that,"She doesn't eat cheese!!":) It was a gradual process, but I was completely vegan after eight months. It took me a long time to transition, but I finally did it and I will stay vegan. I love being vegan!!! My soul is much happier and I'm physically healthier because I practice good vegan nutrition- and the foods are awesome!! :)

tin can
01-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi bluedance, nice to meet you. :) Your early love of animals sounds similar to my feelings at that age.

Dugan
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome, bluedance.

VegeTexan
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Welcome to VR, bluedance.

Provoked
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Very nice meeting you bluedance. Great story... thanks for sharing :)

sitting_vegan
01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Welcome!

bluedance
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi bluedance, nice to meet you. :) Your early love of animals sounds similar to my feelings at that age.
Hi!! Nice to meet you too.:) We probably would have been good friends as kids!!:)

bluedance
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome, bluedance.
Thank you so much!! I'm happy to be here.:)

bluedance
01-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome to VR, bluedance.
Thank you!!:)

bluedance
01-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Very nice meeting you bluedance. Great story... thanks for sharing :)
Very nice meeting you too!!:) Thanks for commenting about my story. I'm happy to share it.:)

bluedance
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Welcome!
Thank you!! I look forward to talking with you.:)

vegankitty
01-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Welcome bluedance!

bluedance
01-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Welcome bluedance!
Thank you very much!!:) You have a really cute avatar.:)

bekah-chan
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
welcome bluedance :)

i love your art, by the way! especially the one that's your avatar!

bluedance
02-14-2009, 10:47 PM
welcome bluedance :)

i love your art, by the way! especially the one that's your avatar!
Thanks so much!!(hug) It's nice to meet you.:)