PDA

View Full Version : tofurky in a crockpot!

boogabaah
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
i've made dozens of tofurky's over the years, the best way i've found it making it in the crockpot.

tis VERY easy!

add all the veggies you want. this year i put in 4 potatoes, 3 carrots, one can of corn and one half an onion. i decided to not try and make my own stewing broth and used a carton of vegetable broth instead. don't forget to add your tofurky to this.

i let it cook over night and it was PERFECT the next day. :drool: very tender and juice. not burnt or dried out like when i have made in the oven. :o

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-26-2008, 10:02 PM
i've made dozens of tofurky's over the years, the best way i've found it making it in the crockpot.

tis VERY easy!

add all the veggies you want. this year i put in 4 potatoes, 3 carrots, one can of corn and one half an onion. i decided to not try and make my own stewing broth and used a carton of vegetable broth instead. don't forget to add your tofurky to this.

Easy my ass! You and your high-falootin fancy high-cuisine! What the hell is this about stewing broth? Sounds complicated. Please illuminate!

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-27-2008, 05:00 AM
Hey I blew off two invitations so I could stay home and crock my very own Tofurky. I need you to 'splain these brothy stew issues.

Hmm. Time to go upstairs and make sure I can even find my crockpot. I'd hate to not have a pot to stew in.

boogabaah
11-27-2008, 12:17 PM
i was thinking (besides what i PM'd you) you could also make your own broth by adding veggies and some braggs (aka soy sauce) and maybe a little oil or vegan butter. let it all cook together, tofurky and all for several hours at least, so it can soak up all the juices and mix together well.

sorry if this isn't slightly more helpful.

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey haven't I seen your avatar hanging out on a plane wing? You're freakin' me out man!

http://fusionanomaly.net/twilightzonenightmaremonster.jpg

MissLovely
11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
So, I just thought I'd give you some cred. I made my Tofurkey in the crockpot. It freed up valuable oven space!

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-28-2008, 01:22 AM
So how did you address the issue of stewing in a broth? Both recipe of the broth and the method? (Last time I tried winging a recipe in conjunction with fancy new cooking technology, the LHC shat itself. Bosons, boullions.. who woulda thunk it made a difference.)

Talk slowly, I'm...kittens.

JasperKat
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I would just use a carton of store bought veggie broth, but I assume boogabah meant that she (?) sometimes makes her own broth.

MissLovely, how did it turn out? I've never had a problem with mine being overdone in the oven and I worry about it getting soggy in the crockpot.

-JK

MissLovely
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
So, I stewed it in a broth. One "not chicken" bouillon cube, plus balsamic vinegar, "poultry" seasoning, onion powder, sage, carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. Instead of tasting soggy, it was amazing! Tender, juicy and flavor absorb city! The stuffing was ten times better with all the broth absorbed.
I felt like I had been admitting defeat this year buy buying a Tofurkey instead of making something myself. (I was way too busy!)
It ended up being so effing good I'm glad I tried it.

mamaquilla
11-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Woohoo! Im gonna try this, maybe xmas

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Tender, juicy and flavor absorb city! The stuffing was ten times better with all the broth absorbed..

So the broth soaked in and changed the taste of the stuffing... without making it soppy??

boogabaah
11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
same with mine. the stuffing was poking out when i cut the casing off. the broth just made it yummier. :drool:

i had another tofurky that the ex-mother-in-law had made for me. she pretty much DRIED it out in the oven. :umm: wasn't good at all, but i was polite and choked down the chunk she dished up for me. no seasonings, so brothy juices, she just loosely covered it with foil then baked it. (the woman's always been a terrible cook, but don't tell her that) i did tell her that i make mine in a crockpot and it turns out good. so hopefully if she makes me one for xmas.. she'll make it in the crockpot.

oh and my avatar.. i drew it.. but then after i took the picture of it, my kid scribbled it out!

exhume to consume
12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
this crock pot intrigues me. i looooove tofurkey. last year i bought 6. this year i bought 0 because i had 0 dollars. i shall save my dollars and invest in a "crock pot" and prepare future tofurkeys in it.

mine usually dont dry out. i have found that it is important to rotate it if you make it in the oven so one side doesnt overcook while it cooks through. im almost tempted to get a rotisserie and try cooking it on that!

mamaquilla
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Thats a great idea exhume!

mishka
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Am I the only person who likes dried out tofurky that is nice and chewy? I find it too rubbery otherwise.

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
same with mine. the stuffing was poking out when i cut the casing off. the broth just made it yummier. :drool:

Casing? Huh? You mean the plastic wrap? You didn't crock it in the plastic wrap did you? Wouldn't think so, but you mentioned a casing...

So the stuffing busted out after crocking it?

I have no idea what to do. I'm not going near that crockpot without step by step instructions.

Good thing you took a pic of your avatar.

boogabaah
12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
it's really a lot simpler that you are making it seem. :rolleyes: i knew i should have taken pictures!

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Am I supposed to totally drown the poor tofurkey in the broth? (I will be sure to stun it first.)

Also what brand of boullion did you use? I'll look for it in local stores.

JasperKat
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Am I the only person who likes dried out tofurky that is nice and chewy? I find it too rubbery otherwise.

Have you ever had Tofurky Jerky? :drool: It's my favorite kind of jerky but the store hardly ever has it.

-JK

mishka
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Have you ever had Tofurky Jerky?

I've never heard of it! Never seen it! But I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Yeah - that's exactly the texture I like my Tofurky to be like jerky :)

JasperKat
12-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I always look for it at the co-op. The next time I find some I'll send you a pack.

-JK

mishka
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
that's so sweet :) thanks!

boogabaah
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Am I supposed to totally drown the poor tofurkey in the broth? (I will be sure to stun it first.)

Also what brand of boullion did you use? I'll look for it in local stores.

hhmmm.. i forget.. :umm: but it sure tasted good.

mishka
12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm going to try this today since we have to precook our Tofurky and divide it so the boy and I can both bring some back to Toronto with us. The Tofurky website has this recipe:

Crock Pot Tofurky with cranberry onion sauce
This simple recipe makes for a moist, delicious Tofurky and will have you asking, does it get any easier then this?

1 Tofurky roast (can be frozen)
1 can cranberry sauce (chunky or smooth)
1 package dry vegetarian onion soup mix
16 ounces vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon garlic powder

Empty packet of soup mix into crock-pot and add 16 ounces of vegetable broth and garlic powder. Add the can of cranberry sauce stirring to mix.

Place Tofurky in the center of the pot. For the frozen Tofurky cook on high for about three hours basting the Tofurky with the sauce every half hour or so while a thawed Tofurky should take about two hours. Slice the Tofurky and pour sauce on top to serve. Enjoy.

I'm not going to make it like this, but I'll use the broth amount for the basis of my cooking liquid, which will probably be vegetable broth, oil, soy sauce, poultry seasoning and garlic.

topperarnold
12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
This recipe sounds miiiiighty tasty! I'll be making my first Tofurky on Thursday. I'm going to try this recipe, but add potatoes and some carrots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out well. I"m a little nervous.

Dandelion
12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm going to try this today since we have to precook our Tofurky and divide it so the boy and I can both bring some back to Toronto with us. The Tofurky website has this recipe:

I'm not going to make it like this, but I'll use the broth amount for the basis of my cooking liquid, which will probably be vegetable broth, oil, soy sauce, poultry seasoning and garlic.

Report please. :)

mishka
12-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I'd love to report on the slow cooked Tofurky, but we left it in the fridge during our early morning frenzy to get to the airport yesterday. Poo. I'll have to ask my cat sitter to put it in the freezer for us.

For Christmas dinner now, instead of chasing down another well-priced Tofurky, I'm going to marinate strips of tofu in soy sauce and poultry seasoning and bake it into little fake tofu turkey slices. And I might whip up some dressing. Thank the jeebus for Vegan A Go-Go!

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Refreezing Tofurkies is said to mess with them. Can you be back within 7 days? I think they stay perfect that long in the fridge.

Still not sure how to make this vegan broth nor how much to put in. And once it's submerged, what if Dick Cheney comes over to interogate it?

topperarnold
12-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, I did it. I've got a Tofurky in my crockpot as we speak. I used the above onion soup/cranberry sauce recipe and added carrots, onions and 'taters to the pot as well. I plan on rolling the roast over every 30 minutes. This is my first attempt at tofurky in any form. I hope hubadub and Offspring like it.

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure this bit out:

>16 ounces vegetable broth

veganshawn
12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Well, I did it. I've got a Tofurky in my crockpot as we speak. I used the above onion soup/cranberry sauce recipe and added carrots, onions and 'taters to the pot as well. I plan on rolling the roast over every 30 minutes. This is my first attempt at tofurky in any form. I hope hubadub and Offspring like it.

We are going to make it with the same recipe as well, I will report back later.

topperarnold
12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Mid-cook report: it smells good and hasn't fallen apart.

Dandelion
12-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Great! We hope to try it tomorrow night. Can't wait to hear how it turned out.

michiganveganchick
12-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Please report how that recipe turns out! It sounds yummy.

topperarnold
12-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I say: nom nom nom nom :drool: :drool: :drool: nom nom nom

Omni Hubadub and Offspring say: nom nom nom nom :drool: :drool: pass some more please nom nom nom

veganshawn
12-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I added potatoes, Brussels sprouts and onions to the recipe, will report back later.

topperarnold
12-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I added potatoes, Brussels sprouts and onions to the recipe, will report back later.
Oh I wish I'd thought of Brussels sprouts!

veganshawn
12-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh I wish I'd thought of Brussels sprouts!

I kind of winged it, we had a couple of frozen bags that I wanted to use up. I almost used beets, but I think I am going to roast them on the side.

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Ah well eating raw tofurkey on the futon with the dog ain't that bad. :p

veganshawn
12-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Ah well eating raw tofurkey on the futon with the dog ain't that bad. :p

I could think of worse ways to spend the holidays. :)

Admiral Halsey's RAM
12-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I could think of worse ways to spend the holidays. :)

Indeed. I like the stuffing and she like the 'furkey. Plus, no pans to wash. And the stuffing crumbs? The dog takes care of those too. :silly:

Dandelion
12-27-2008, 01:23 AM
This is the way to go!

I used this recipe (http://www.tofurkey.com/recipes/tofurky_recipes.htm) from Tofurkey's website as a basis but i used cranberry sauce instad of cherries, pearl onions instead of sliced and added carrots, celery and some veg broth and a touch of liquid smoke. I don't have a crock pot but i used my Le Creuset dutch oven.

The tofurkey was juicy and tender. It came out more like ham (prolly the smoke) but still yum.

Roast Tofurky baked with Caramelized Onion and Cherry Relish

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced very thin
1 cup dried sour cherries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons apple cider
1 Tofurky roast

veganshawn
12-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Crockpot is the way to make a tofurky, it came out so freaking good!

bumblebee
05-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Last night, I pulled a tofurky out of the freezer, and put it directly into our crockpot with 32 oz unchicken broth, 3 T olive oil, 1.5 t sage, and 1 T soy sauce. An hour later, I added 2 quartered onions and 6 quartered carrots. An hour and 20 min. after that, I added 3 lbs of baby potatoes. An hour after that we were eating a lovely dinner. We had the tub of gravy, too. It was all really good.

Nice way to cook a tofurky! :) :drool:

MissLovely
11-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Another year, another fantastic slow-cooker tofurkey.

crunchymom
11-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I wish I would of seen this Tuesday! We had our thanksgiving yesterday because hubby had to work today. Anyway I made my first tofurky and mine turned out horrible. I used the recipe on the box and it was olive oil cloves and garlic it was not good at all. I hate to say it like that but if I base it on what it tasted like yesterday I dont know if i will ever have it again. I will have to taste somone elses and see if I like it that way because it was sooo bad I had to throw it away. I am going to do a vegan shepards pie every year till I can justify spending almost 40 dollars on a tofurkey just to try another recipe.

MissLovely
11-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Gah! Can you buy just the roast? I wouldn't pay $40. I buy just the roast, and was $7.99. I make way better gravy and all of that myself.
This year I put two roasts in the crock pot, with 5 cups of water, 4 Edward & Sons Not Chick'n bullion cubes, a TBSP of ground sage, and about a cup of Braggs. Adding one red onion, quartered, about three stalks of celery, and three carrots.
So good!

crunchymom
11-27-2010, 12:13 PM
I will have to try that sometime. Yeah the gravy they gave me was not the greatest at all. I wish I had a vegan friend that lives near by so that maybe we could do a potluck type thanksgiving dinner but nobody here that i know is vegan or even vegetarian.:umm:

Emiloid
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry your dinner didn't turn out great, crunchymom. I didn't make mine in a crockpot, so maybe this isn't the right thread... but we baked ours and used a basting mixture of olive oil, OJ, herbs, a dash of soy sauce, and some broth. We baked it on a bed of chopped onions, potatoes, and mushrooms for maybe 1.25 hours, basting it about every 20 minutes. We also sliced the Tofurkey pretty thin once it was done. It was really good.

I hope you get the chance to try it again sometime.

Kat
12-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I made crockpot tofurky and it was excellent!

I started with a regular tofurky roast - just a big roll of 'furky with stuffing in it, it wasn't one of those feasts that comes with wishtix and all that jazz. I removed the plastic wrap and dumped it into the crockpot with the following:

- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 handfuls of baby carrots
- a few mushrooms

In a bowl, I mixed together 1 cup of vegetable broth (reconstituted from a bouillon cube to the proper concentration as per package directions), 1 tbsp olive oil, and a splash of soy sauce. I poured this over the tofurky, then I cracked fresh black pepper on to the tofurky and sprinkled it with dried thyme and sage.

I put the lid on and let all the ingredients get to know each other for five or six hours on low heat. Every couple of hours I flipped my tofurky over to make sure it cooked and was seasoned evenly. Every time I'd flip it, I'd put it on high heat until the stock simmered and then lower it back to low so I wouldn't burn anything.

It turned out moist, tender, delicious. I loved the cold leftovers sliced up on a whole wheat roll with vegenaise.

JasperKat
01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
I will have to try that sometime. Yeah the gravy they gave me was not the greatest at all. I wish I had a vegan friend that lives near by so that maybe we could do a potluck type thanksgiving dinner but nobody here that i know is vegan or even vegetarian.:umm:

The gravy that comes in the dinner kit is vile :yuck: I never buy the whole kit, I get the roast and make my own gravy, much tastier! Trader Joe's usually has the best price, do you have one nearby?

I made a torfurky in the slow cooker a few weeks ago following Kat's instructions and it was great! I skipped the potato and celery because I didn't have them in the house, but everything else was the same. Yummy! It was excellent that night with gravy and delicious the next day on sandwiches!

-JK

Miso Vegan
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
I sell more Tofurky gravy than Tofurky during the holidays.

I've never had it, so I don't know why, but some people luuuurve it.

MissLovely
01-12-2011, 09:55 AM
For some sad, horrible reason vegans don't know how to make gravy.
Would people buy an all gravy cookbook? I have seriously considered writing one.

JasperKat
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
For some sad, horrible reason vegans don't know how to make gravy.
Would people buy an all gravy cookbook? I have seriously considered writing one.

Really? Mine isn't anything extraordinary but it does what it's meant to do. (Moistens the dish and adds creaminess and flavor.)

-JK

MissLovely
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Every time I tell people I make X or Y gravy they freak out. How do you make vegan gravy? What's your recipe? What do you DOOOOO?!!!

gladcow
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
DOOD. before I opened the thread I was thinking of gravy. MINDMELD.

Please make a gravy cookbook. Please. Even if it's just an ebook. Thank you :kiss:

quagga
04-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I made crockpot tofurky and it was excellent!

I started with a regular tofurky roast - just a big roll of 'furky with stuffing in it, it wasn't one of those feasts that comes with wishtix and all that jazz. I removed the plastic wrap and dumped it into the crockpot with the following:

- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 handfuls of baby carrots
- a few mushrooms

In a bowl, I mixed together 1 cup of vegetable broth (reconstituted from a bouillon cube to the proper concentration as per package directions), 1 tbsp olive oil, and a splash of soy sauce. I poured this over the tofurky, then I cracked fresh black pepper on to the tofurky and sprinkled it with dried thyme and sage.

I put the lid on and let all the ingredients get to know each other for five or six hours on low heat. Every couple of hours I flipped my tofurky over to make sure it cooked and was seasoned evenly. Every time I'd flip it, I'd put it on high heat until the stock simmered and then lower it back to low so I wouldn't burn anything.

It turned out moist, tender, delicious. I loved the cold leftovers sliced up on a whole wheat roll with vegenaise.

I am making this now...fingers crossed, 'cuz I won't be turning it over through the evening. I'm about to go to bed.

Emiloid
04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
I hope it came out OK!

Also, I must say that the title of this thread sounds like mild cursing in my head. "Oh, Tofurky in a crockpot!"

Dandelion
04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Also, I must say that the title of this thread sounds like mild cursing in my head. "Oh, Tofurky in a crockpot!"

:laugh:

quagga
04-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Yep, it was better than any tofurky I've had before. And I agree, Em, this thread title reminds of a mild invective.

sitting_vegan
04-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Yep, it was better than any tofurky I've had before.

...Damned with faint praise? :D

quagga
04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Guilty as charged. It was good, but not great. If I could ensure that everyone would cook this thing properly, I'd recommend it to non-vegans, but because I can't, I don't. Before I tried cooking it this way, I'd never recommend it to anyone.

Emiloid
04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Lately we've been slicing it really thin, which I think helps with the texture. In fact, last Thanksgiving (in a mixed group) I got worried that maybe I took the wrong "meat" when serving myself! :p We just baked and basted it, though.

The.Protist
04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
This makes me think of other experiments I wanted to try with tofurkey and the ilk, like sous-vide and fermentation. Actually I had wanted to try sous-vide on potatoes or plantains or something, as I don't have a strong objection to tofurkey, but now I wonder about the faux-meats.