PDA

View Full Version : A new abolitionist vegan outreach pamphlet

epski
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
The Boston Vegan Association outreach pamphlet has been completed. Feel free to share on your own sites, within your groups, via email, etc.

http://www.bostonvegan.org/images/downloads/bvapamphlet_web.pdf

http://www.bostonvegan.org/images/downloads/pamphlet_generic_web.pdf

The first PDF is the one with our web address and logo on the back, but I have also made available a "generic" version with a white space for people to include their own contact info if they want to use this pamphlet for vegan advocacy work.

For an offset printer-friendly version, please get in touch, and I will direct you to the file.

vami
11-01-2008, 01:02 AM
After listening to people in the “vegan circles” espousing Prop 2 unconditionally here in CA, this is a very refreshing message indeed, thank you. :)

epski
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
You're welcome. I hope to see these used widely.

I have to wonder what it's like out there. I used to live in L.A., and I'm sure there would be a lot of pressure for me to support this measure if I was still there.

vegankitty
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes-the pamphlet is great. A lot of the info is common to other vegan literature I've seen but I really like the info on 'humane slaughter'. I think that is a huge thing to leave out because people who might otherwise go vegan think 'humane' is another way to go and this pamphlet explains why it isn't.

epski
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks, kitty. I suppose I don't know how much info is common to other vegan literature, since we literally wrote it from scratch. No one has produced literature that includes the same argument as that appearing on the first two pages, and you're right that the "humane" passage is unique. I don't know of any other pamphlets that address vegetarianism, either.

I think this is a really important new tool for animal rights advocates. Please contact me if you're interested in getting your hands on a printing-press version of the file or receiving some hard copies from us for distribution. We ask only a donation sufficient to cover our total pro-rated costs.

mamaquilla
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
This pamplet was really well written, thanks for sharing :)

vami
11-04-2008, 01:01 AM
You're welcome. I hope to see these used widely.

I have to wonder what it's like out there. I used to live in L.A., and I'm sure there would be a lot of pressure for me to support this measure if I was still there.

Well, a lack of enthusiasm for it is considered to be in bad taste, if not worse. :( I've sort of given up talking about it since it seems to provoke quite a bit of defensiveness on part of people who support it wholeheartedly.

vegankitty
11-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I would like to see more information on vegan diets for low-income people. I think veganism is seen as something for rich and middle class people. When people are really struggling to provide for their families I think they often don't have the time to think about these issues.

mountainvegan
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I would like to see more information on vegan diets for low-income people. I think veganism is seen as something for rich and middle class people. When people are really struggling to provide for their families I think they often don't have the time to think about these issues.

The “affordability” of animal products in the US is quite ironic, because in undeveloped or developing counties, it is the exact opposite. The poorest people in the world eat a plant-based (not necessarily vegan, but very close to it) and see animal product consumers, including our “low-income” folks, as wealthy. It’s even a status symbol to eat animals.

But since, for example, the US subsidizes animal agriculture, and since we have perfected scales of economy with rapid assembly-line mass-production, the dollar price of meat and dairy (excluding the horrific moral price, health price, and eco price) is absurdly lower than it would be under conditions of no subsidies and no factory mass-production methods.

If the US was not the immoral hell hole that it is, we’d all be vegan and plant food would be subsidized as animal products are now. As it is, not only are we not vegan as a nation, but we have found ways of making the most immoral, unhealthy, and environmentally disastrous diet very affordable for low-income people. Our collective idiocy could not be more of a spectacle.

That said, the best way to cheapen a vegan diet up is to consume whole foods (beans and legumes, rice, and grains). Generally, the more processed food is, the more expensive it is. Generally, whole foods are also much healthier than processed foods.

epski
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
If anyone is interested, please contact me about getting your hands on hard copies of this pamphlet. We will send non-branded versions out at cost.

Provoked
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Epski... I really like the presentation - very nice pamphlets... Can you give any estimation of what 100 would cost? ... or 500? I'd appreciate it :)

VegeTexan
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
It's a great handout. I ordered a bunch without asking. I hope they aren't a dollar a pop.

epski
11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your interest. I will placing our print order by the end of next week, with the run size depending on how strong the demand is.

So, here's a couple of different breakdowns. Mind you, I'm still not solid on the shipping, because I may be able to get the packaging for free, and it depends on how many we order to start with. For example:

If we order 5000, your cost would be around:

50 pamphlets = $23
100 = $41
250 = $98
500 = $198
1000 = $392

If we order 10000:

50 pamphlets = $19
100 = $33
250 = $77
500 = $157
1000 = $310

Please give me a serious estimate as to how many you're really interested in acquiring. Whether we order 5000, 7500, or 10000 will depend in large part on how many people express an interest upfront. We don't want to end up with 4000 pamphlets laying around unused.

Edit: The best way to pay will probably be sending a check to our fiscal sponsor (I'll get that information to you as orders are processed). If you wanted to pay via PayPal, we could arrange that, too, but you'd need to add 3% to your total to cover our PayPal fees, which kinda sucks.

epski
11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Good news is that these are probably going to be less expensive than previously estimated. I'll have final numbers later this week. Thanks for your orders. I'm looking forward to getting these in your hands.

epski
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Good news is that these are probably going to be less expensive than previously estimated. I'll have final numbers later this week. Thanks for your orders. I'm looking forward to getting these in your hands.

Okay, peeps. It's looking like 20 cents per pamphlet for orders of 100 or more. 25 works out to about a quarter each, and 50 works out to about 22 cents. Let me know ASAP if you'd like to order. I should be ready to send these out before the holidays, so you can have them in time for the new year.

epski
11-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Anyone else?

KaliMama
11-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I'd love some! I emailed you. :kiss:

epski
11-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Are you KrishaMama?

KaliMama
11-30-2008, 02:59 AM
...mmmmaayybe.

:blank:

Okay, yes.

I'll send a money order off to you on Monday. (I don't have paper checks.) Unless you do the card thing?

epski
11-30-2008, 02:29 PM
You can use a card via PayPal through our website, but it's not my first recommendation. We ask for 3.5% on top of whatever you're sending to cover the PayPal transaction (credit card processing) fee. There's no hurry on our end, so sending a check/money order is just fine. Thanks, Krishna/Kali Mama.

KaliMama
12-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Done. :)

Provoked
12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey! I got mine yesterday :) Just curious though... why oh why were they sent priority? The postage cost $9.8?.... Wouldn't they qualify as lots cheaper "media" rate? This way you could save more money - just wondering.

Anyway, thanks - they're great... saying everything that needs to be heard in a "just right" fashion :)

KaliMama
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I got mine, too. They are GREAT. :thumbsup:

sitting_vegan
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Same here, love them!

epski
12-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Hey! I got mine yesterday :) Just curious though... why oh why were they sent priority? The postage cost $9.8?.... Wouldn't they qualify as lots cheaper "media" rate? This way you could save more money - just wondering.

Anyway, thanks - they're great... saying everything that needs to be heard in a "just right" fashion :)

Media rate is only for books. I tried that route and got shut down (all except for one person, and that was probably because I pre-packaged the pamphlets in a re-used Amazon.com box in a way that they didn't slide around much). I originally budgeted for lower postal rates, not realizing we were going to get stuck with Flat Rate Priority Mail, but at least we don't pay for packaging, so we're not actually too far off our original estimates. And, hey, they get there quicker and more reliably this way (media mail can take up to two weeks).

epski
12-13-2008, 03:17 AM
PS - Glad everyone likes them. There's more where those came from, so tell everyone you know! Let me know how they work out for you, too.

phloxy
12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I desperately need these to help educate people not only in my community but also some within the vegan community in my town. I'll send you a PM, epski.

Provoked
12-16-2008, 12:02 AM
epski... media mail - right you are from the USPS site: "Media Mail can not contain advertising" - Oh well - I'm glad I got mine so quickly anyway... They make a nice companion to other vegan literature - I'm a happy :)

epski
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I've shipped 1550 so far, FYI, and another 2500 have been spoken for. That leaves about 3000 more to claim from this inaugural batch. Anyone?

panthera
12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Just got mine, too! Am planning to hand them out w/free McDougalls Soup samples!

beforewisdom
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Is it cheap enough to just print out the PDFs in color at a local copy center?

carnelian
12-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I received mine yesterday! Yay! :cartwheel:

Thanks so much, epski!

epski
12-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Just got mine, too! Am planning to hand them out w/free McDougalls Soup samples!

Let me know how that goes.

Is it cheap enough to just print out the PDFs in color at a local copy center?

Doubtful. My local copy center wants $.49 just for 1 color photocopy.

I received mine yesterday! Yay! :cartwheel:

Thanks so much, epski!

Truly a pleasure.

Again, I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from people using these pamphlets.

Oatmeal Girl
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I just got mine! They got rave reviews from the people who have seen them so far :)

VegeTexan
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I got mine last week and can't wait to show them at our veg society board of directors meeting tomorrow. They look great. And the message is so well presented.
I know we will want more.

bluedawg
01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
I just got mine! They got rave reviews from the people who have seen them so far :)

+1! :happy:

epski
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi, all.

Thanks for the feedback on the pamphlets so far. Sorry I haven't been around. I have other projects I've been working on at all hours, including the upcoming shoot for my documentary project (http://vegandocumentary.com). Also, and this is where I get to what is of interest to everyone who's posted here so far, I have some interesting news!:

I'm pleased to announce that, thanks to the support of a kind and generous donor, the Boston Vegan Association has launched a major new initiative. Effective immediately, the organization will fund the printing and distribution of its full-color abolitionist vegan outreach pamphlet (http://veganpamphlet.com) to qualifying advocates throughout North America.

To learn more about the program and how to apply, visit the pamphlet application page (http://veganpamphlet.com/free_pamphlet_application.html).