PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

Calliope
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Please let me know if this has been brought up before. I did a search, but I didn't find anything.

Earlier today, I started randomly thinking about Halloween. I don't have kids, may not ever have any, but if I do (eventually) have children I'd like to raise them vegan. I was thinking about these vegan children (and hoping that I'll be as awesome a vegan mum as you guys here) and I got to thinking about Halloween.

What do your vegan children (if you have any) do about Halloween? I know a lot of Holidays have a big emphasis on food, but if you're raised vegan, I would imagine that having a yummy stuffed squash as opposed to a turkey probably wouldn't be too much of an issue. But when I was growing up, Halloween was about dressing up, but moreso about getting a sh#*load of free candy. So, as vegan parents, do you find your children are upset by the Halloween issue? Or do they accept it?

What I came up with on the issue is first of all, it may be a moot point, because it seems to me that trick or treating has declined in the past couple of years, due to more "safe halloween", haunted house/fair type things going on.

2. I would never be the kind of parent who dresses up my one year old in a bunny hat, takes him or her trick or treating. Once my child was old enough to decide for him or herself, I probably wouldn't stop them from going, because I don't think it's helpful for a child to feel that they have no choice in the matter.

3. Finally, I thought it would be helpful if you established some Halloween-y rituals that the kids could look forward too. Maybe some special cookies or cakes that you only bake at Halloween, so they have something to get excited about, or maybe a day where you get to stay up late decorating the house all halloween like, and eat snacks. I figure anything that can make them get really excited about the fact that Halloween was coming would maybe help them feel less left out.

So what are your thoughts? Sorry this is both random and long-winded, but for some reason, I thought a lot about this today. :p

exhume to consume
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
if they were too young to know the difference, i'd just take out all the non-vegan candy and give it to someone else.

if they were old enough to understand, i'd just tell them that it was made from cows, but they can eat it if they want. they'll juts be eating cows. and thats gross. i would recommend that they trade with their friends for things without milk/gelatin.

i think just having a party at home would be a great idea, too. they could invite their friends and everyone could eat some awesome vegan treats without realizing it was all vegan.

Tigerlily
09-05-2008, 08:38 PM
The non-vegan candy issue:
I brought this up before about how in the local paper there was a kid with diabetes. He would go trick or treating with his friends but since he couldn't have the candy, he would donate it to the sick children in hospitals. His mom would buy him a non-food present instead.

I'm probably going to be something similar.

bluedawg
09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
it looks like we actually discussed this last year in the "random questions" thread, which, good luck with that. :silly:

but here are a couple of threads you might like in the meantime:

halloween candy (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=2274)

halloween's gonna be hard this year (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=9542)

bluedawg
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
it looks like we actually discussed this last year in the "random questions" thread, which, good luck with that. :silly:

oooh, hang on, i found it! the discussion begins here (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=264228&highlight=trick+treat#post264228). :)

Calliope
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the ideas, Tigerlilly and ETC, and thanks bluedawg for the link. I fail at search funtion. :p

sailonsilvergirl
09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
The non-vegan candy issue:
I brought this up before about how in the local paper there was a kid with diabetes. He would go trick or treating with his friends but since he couldn't have the candy, he would donate it to the sick children in hospitals. His mom would buy him a non-food present instead.

I'm probably going to be something similar.

Brilliant plan. And there are probably some vegan friendly treats in the bag to keep, too.

Another idea would be to get together to swap with other kids in the neighborhood. I know when I was little I'd have gladly traded a boring hard candy for a snickers bar.

sitting_vegan
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I think I am going to take Cade trick or treating, and then donate his non-vegan haul to his karate school, they collect candy for the less fortunate. And also buy him a special vegan treat.

kaylie likes plurr
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
mmm yey halloween.

Dugan
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Great idea, SV!

kaylie likes plurr
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
i think maybe i'll do that if my boyfriend doesn't jack it all from me!

ETA: my mom works with cancer patients - what about giving the non vegan candy to them? is that a good call?

Tigerlily
09-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I think that's a good idea! :)

kaylie likes plurr
09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
hurray!!!