PDA

View Full Version : as my name implies....

newtothis
08-16-2008, 04:40 AM
I am fresh into this,searching the internet for all information to fuel my new interest into living vegan. I found this website off of a page i found through google. Truth be told Ive always thought, "this vegans have got it right, living healthier and better in their life that simply just doesnt take life", but because of my upbringing, I was afraid of burdening my family with lifestyle that would ensure special food requests and and special food preparations and all that. Also my upbringing would have brought embarrassment from friends and family and I wasnt ready for it then. But now im grown up and watching a video exposing meat industry practices, my interest is peaked again and the time is right to make the change.

My biggest question to you veterans is, what do you do when you go to a dinner party? I dont want to be rude to my hosts and there will be many considering that my sister and her husband are the only vegans I know.(who are new to it as well, and are the ones who brought the video to my attention.) So what you do all do when presented with meat for dinner at a party? Any clever suggestions to both stay firm while not offending anyone? I consider myself a very social person and I dont want that to change. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all support!

melt86
08-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Welcome!

your question is one that most of us struggle with often, until we find a great group of vegan friends who make awesome meals for us :)

Some advice, take a plate to dinner parties that will wow your friends and family (and give you something to eat), a vegan version of a family favourite is good and desserts seem to go down well.

We're here for your support!

Calliope
08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Welcome!

My friends and family are all really supportive, so I haven't had too much trouble at dinner parties. (My boss even consulted me for restaurant options for a staff party recently!)

In a situation where the people inviting may not know you're vegan, I'd just say, "i'd love to come! So you know, I'm vegan, and don't eat meat, cheese, milk, honey, etc. I'd be more than happy to bring a dish to share to make things easier for you." That way, you know if all else fails, you'll have that to eat.

Also, make sure you mention what you don't eat. Some people mean well, but they may not think to check the ingredients in the salad dressing, or may absent-mindedly put cheese on something and think, 'well it's not meat, I'm sure it's fine." My grandmother, who is a wonderful, supportive woman, took a while to understand the vegan thing. I had been vegetarian before, and she understood that, but one day I was getting up to get a drink from the kitchen, and she told me, "we have juice, coke, milk..." I sort of looked at her funny and she said, "it's non-fat". To which I replied, "Grandma, it's cow."
:P She's got the hang of things now though.

Welcome again. :) You'll find a lot of good information here.

vegematic
08-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Welcome, newtothis! What will your username be when you're a seasoned, veteran vegan?

In a situation where the people inviting may not know you're vegan, I'd just say, "i'd love to come! So you know, I'm vegan, and don't eat meat, cheese, milk, honey, etc. I'd be more than happy to bring a dish to share to make things easier for you." That way, you know if all else fails, you'll have that to eat.

This is pretty much what I do on those rare occasions that I'm invited to a dinner party. Since your vegan dish is going to be so amazingly awesome that everyone is going to want the recipe, prepare a few recipe cards to bring and share.

-vegematic

sitting_vegan
08-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Welcome!

You can always eat before and bring some surreptitious snacks..The previous suggestions are all great also!

Calliope
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM
You can always eat before and bring some surreptitious snacks..

Ooh, that's a good idea too. I often eat beforehand, especially when I'm going to a dinner party at a restaurant. I frequently end up with a boring green salad when I go out to eat, so by eating before hand, you're not starving to death, and it also leaves you with more cash for some martinis. :p

Dugan
08-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome!

KaliMama
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Welcome! :sunny:

newtothis
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
dont mean to bump here...but I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions and warm welcomes. It is truly appreciated.

to answer your question, I dont think i will ever be a veteran at anything, there will always be new things to discover and try. It will always seem new, theres so many things ive never tried, and I love trying new things. I figure with all the different fruits and vegetables in the world and all the people I will meet through my lifestyle change there will always be something to find. Ive been a very religious drummer for 5 years now and I still dont know it all. And heck, I was a meat eater for almost 20 years before I learned all I needed to know about that.HAHA. And when I get a bunch of posts under my belt, Ill always have my name to remind me of a time, and if nothing else, we can all laugh at the irony.

Thanks Again to everyone who has and will help with their support and suggestions.

Dandelion
08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
dont mean to bump here...but I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions and warm welcomes. It is truly appreciated.

to answer your question, I dont think i will ever be a veteran at anything, there will always be new things to discover and try. It will always seem new, theres so many things ive never tried, and I love trying new things. I figure with all the different fruits and vegetables in the world and all the people I will meet through my lifestyle change there will always be something to find. Ive been a very religious drummer for 5 years now and I still dont know it all. And heck, I was a meat eater for almost 20 years before I learned all I needed to know about that.HAHA. And when I get a bunch of posts under my belt, Ill always have my name to remind me of a time, and if nothing else, we can all laugh at the irony.

Thanks Again to everyone who has and will help with their support and suggestions.
Bump all you want this is YOUR thread! :D Welcome to VRF and veganism. I always feel like a student myself and it's probably a great attitude to have. Lotta great advice and information here. Search throughout the forum, we've encountered just about every vegan issue at some point. :cool:

Apple
08-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Ooh, that's a good idea too. I often eat beforehand, especially when I'm going to a dinner party at a restaurant. I frequently end up with a boring green salad when I go out to eat, so by eating before hand, you're not starving to death, and it also leaves you with more cash for some martinis. :p

hahaha I'm totally going to do that from now on. It feels so Ab-Fab, I can't resist! I really hate ordering a $10 salad and then telling the waiter, "Please take off the chicken, cheese, sour cream, and ranch dressing," and still getting charged $8 for...romaine lettuce. I think from now on I'll just skip it completely and get multiple delicious martinis!

Oh yes--welcome, newtothis! I think if you have two members of your family that are vegan, you are far ahead of a lot of us. Or me, anyway. I have...two vegan acquaintances in real life! One thing that I'm doing this year is giving both my grandmas a box of egg replacer and a carton of soy milk about a month before christmas so I can be sure to have some vegan cookies. It helps if you give people recipes or replacement ingredients if they are asking the "What can you eat?" question.