PDA

View Full Version : But where will you get protein...

Kap
08-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Greetings all, I've been on and off vegetarianism before and have finally decided to go vegan. Its only been 10 days and I feel wonderful. Actually I feel calm. Yes calm is the word. Ive never been calm in my life. This time while researching vegetarianism I came across veganism and all the factory 'farm' videos. I was mortified. I will never eat anything with a face again. This I know for sure.
I'm trying to keep my decision to myself as I don't care to defend this life I have chosen with everyone who finds out. I'm on day 10 and I'm so frustrated with these idiots who after asking me why I would do this say"but where will you get your protein".
I'm 43 years old married and male. The wifey is giving a little resistence as I have done all the cooking our entire marriage and she misses what I used to think was awesome cooking. I'm still doing the cooking and now it really is awesome.
I love Dave Mathews Band, John Lee Hooker,Nora jones and Vivialdi. I'm hooked on running and I'm up to 24 miles a week.
Now for the bad news. I sell pacemakers for a very large corporation and have been with them 7 years. I have hundreds of patients that I see on a regular basis who have my devices keeping them alive. Ive worked very hard to grow my business and my community counts on me to provide my service. I'm sure most of you now by now where I'm going with this. It has recently dawned on me that my company uses animals to train physicians how to use new life saving technology. I'm so upset now because I cant claim vegan as long as I work here. Right? I mean I love the cause and it feels right but now what. Can I actually find another job as rewarding as helping to save the life a little girls grandpa, or a boys father. I'm so torn. I could go back to the hospital and work in the o.r. but that would mean a $120k pay cut. I would lose my house, is that fair to my wife and 15 year old son. This really sucks. I want to be a complete vegan. Penny for your thoughts...

Miso Vegan
08-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Your job is rewarding, stick with it. You can still be vegan. You can't control everything, but you can control what you eat/wear.

Welcome to VRF! :sunny:

Calliope
08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
You can still be vegan. I understand your frustration though. I work at a coffee shop, and I give people big, milky lattes all day, and stuff them fulll of dairy filled pastries. It tugs on my conscience, but at the same time, I'm a student, struggling to make end meet. Any job I can get for on the weekends and in the evening is most likely going to involve food.

I recently got a new tattoo, and the tattoo artist was also vegan. We were talking about jobs, and I mentioned that I felt bad for working at a coffee shop. He told me that he worked in the kitchen of a steak house for years after becoming vegan. He said, "you have to live, and there is, unfortunatlely a real shortage of vegan work out there."

oh, and WELCOME!!!! :)

sitting_vegan
08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Welcome!

Just the fact that you are considering the work dilemma is good...Keep an open mind, take your time, don't do anything rash and maybe something will come along! In the meantime, don't beat yourself up about it. Perfection isn't the goal...just making a difference is.

vegematic
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome, Kap!

You are still vegan even if your job is not. In the current day it is not possible to be perfectly, 100% vegan. Animal byproducts and exploitation are so thoroughly ingrained into our culture that it isn't possible to completely avoid it.

The key is to divest as much as you can. Eventually, you will probably become more comfortable talking to others about veganism. The more vegans there are, the fewer pacemakers will be needed.

Can you find ways to use your position and knowledge in the pacemaker industry to raise awareness of its animal abuse and begin to effect change?

-vegematic

Dandelion
08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Welcome Kap, great story thanks for sharing! About your job, perhaps you can work towards a way to train physicians without the use of animals? Maybe that's not a possibility but i think people who are vegan should work within their own pre-established inroads to make change where they are most effective while allowing for a smoother transition to a vegan life. Anyway, just a thought. Welcome and stay strong, lean on us for support!

Kap
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I was so distressed over this other vegan site after I posted my story. There were 10 responses telling me to quit my job, and that I can't be vegan. I spoke with my regional manager and explained that I can't be invovled in bringing physicians to the animal lab ever again. She said that this is not an issue as we have a great virtual human lab right here in L.A. Its a lab where machines are programmed to respond just like humans and are actually being the prefered method for training. I'm now going to do some research on how I can promote the virtual lab on a nation wide basis. We also have an 18 wheeled traveling virtual lab here in California so when I hear of trips planned to the animal lab I'm going to contact that physician and point out how convienent it would be for the lab to come to him. I'm determined to make a difference and not be passive. Thank you all again..John

Dandelion
08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I was so distressed over this other vegan site after I posted my story. There were 10 responses telling me to quit my job, and that I can't be vegan. I spoke with my regional manager and explained that I can't be invovled in bringing physicians to the animal lab ever again. She said that this is not an issue as we have a great virtual human lab right here in L.A. Its a lab where machines are programmed to respond just like humans and are actually being the prefered method for training. I'm now going to do some research on how I can promote the virtual lab on a nation wide basis. We also have an 18 wheeled traveling virtual lab here in California so when I hear of trips planned to the animal lab I'm going to contact that physician and point out how convienent it would be for the lab to come to him. I'm determined to make a difference and not be passive. Thank you all again..John

Wow, right on! That's what i'm talkin 'bout! Great news Kap! :thumbsup: This is the best way to represent.

Calliope
08-16-2008, 04:59 PM
That's awesome, Kap!! Already changing the world. :)

On another note, I'm appalled that the people at another board told you you're not allowed to be vegan. That's really harsh, and like Miso said, it's impossibe to be 100% vegan. You should have told them all that they're not vegan they do anything that involves tires. You know, driving, taking the bus, riding a bike.....(tires are not usually vegan, if you're wondering where that came from.)

I think you'll find that here at VRF, everyone is very nice and supportive. :)

Dugan
08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Welcome! I agree - any difference you can make isa difference. It's too bad you've run into a lack of support in other areas.

KaliMama
08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Welcome! :sunny:

vegematic
08-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I was so distressed over this other vegan site after I posted my story. There were 10 responses telling me to quit my job, and that I can't be vegan.
I think you'll find that we are the coolest vegan site on the internet. :D

I spoke with my regional manager and explained that I can't be invovled in bringing physicians to the animal lab ever again. She said that this is not an issue as we have a great virtual human lab right here in L.A. Its a lab where machines are programmed to respond just like humans and are actually being the prefered method for training. I'm now going to do some research on how I can promote the virtual lab on a nation wide basis. We also have an 18 wheeled traveling virtual lab here in California so when I hear of trips planned to the animal lab I'm going to contact that physician and point out how convienent it would be for the lab to come to him. I'm determined to make a difference and not be passive.
YEAH!

Thank you all again..John
Anytime...

-vegematic

La Végétalienne
08-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Welcome!

I love Dave Mathews Band, John Lee Hooker,Nora jones and Vivialdi.
Nice. Vivaldi is my alarm clock tone, so I have mixed feelings about that one, though. :p The other day I heard the same song on the radio being played by real instruments and it took a few minutes to figure out why it sounded familiar.

I agree with what others have said; don't stress about the uncontrollable factors of your job. I think you can do more of a service to the cause by being able to maintain a normal lifestyle (ie keeping your house) and reprazentin' the image of a nice, normal vegan rather than a super-strict vegan who has to sacrifice everything.

I forgot to say:

I'm trying to keep my decision to myself as I don't care to defend this life I have chosen with everyone who finds out.
I know how you feel. I don't have any problem telling new aquaintances that I'm vegan, but I had a really hard time telling my friends and family. Mostly I just didn't tell them and let them figure it out for themselves. My mom still doesn't know and it's been 8 months. :blank:

Kap
08-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks La Veg for the kind words. I'm so new to this but know its going to be ok. The only way people figure out I've chosen a vegan life style is if we eat together or the wifey tells them. I've asked her to stop. I dont quite understand why people want to jump all over me for my choices. Its always, "omg why, how can you do that, you wont get the protein you need, thats crazy." I've yet to hear, wow good for you, way to go. Its always negative and I already find myself annoyed with people. Ah well, maybe its defense mechanisms for guilty people.

La Végétalienne
08-25-2008, 03:14 AM
The only way people figure out I've chosen a vegan life style is if we eat together or the wifey tells them.
Yeah, definitely, I just happen to be a college student, so I eat with my friends on a pretty regular basis; it didn't take them long to figure out what was up. Sometimes I forget the whole world isn't in college mode.

I've yet to hear, wow good for you, way to go. Its always negative and I already find myself annoyed with people. Ah well, maybe its defense mechanisms for guilty people.
I usually get, "Well, good for you, but I could never do it." Ugh. It's like they can just dismiss it without even trying.

bluemango
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Kap, and welcome!! On the non-vegan jobs note, I have worked in many restaurants and bars post-vegan and had to serve meat to so many people while stifling my urge to vomit. Luckily I'm out of that industry, but I'm about to start graduate school to get a PhD in nutrition... and although I am standing firm in not consenting to any research projects involving animal subjects, I do realize that many of the reagents I will use in lab will be animal-derived, and most of my coworkers and peers will potentially work with animals. I have decided after much thought that I can be a much better vegan advocate if I have a degree that "proves I know what I'm talking about" (when omnis claim I can't possibly have a healthy diet), and if I weren't working the job, I would only be replaced by someone who would have no problem working with animals. We all have to make exceptions when out in the world, because sadly, there aren't that many of us in the grand scheme of things. So I say keep your job, and represent! :)

VegeTexan
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I just read this thread again. Kap had PMed me about another issue and so when I saw this thread back up I re-read it. It has to be one of the best vegan story threads we have here.

We have some good people at VRF and I am proud to be a part of this.
Just sayin'

BlondieAFgirl
09-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I think you'll find that we are the coolest vegan site on the internet.

i am already finding this after lurking yesterday and signing up today. I love that i have not encountered ONE post or reply by anyone acting as an elitist vegan. HECK YES. haha :)

and Kap- welcome!