PDA

View Full Version : Calling all compassionate artists

VeganMegan
02-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Calling all compassionate artists!

Thanks to Herbi I've been tossing around the idea of starting a group for "compassionate artists". If you don't know how this all started you click here (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71) for the details.

Anyway so I've been thinking about really doing this, but I would like to get your input, ideas and thoughts on the subject. Everyone's two cents are welcome on this subject. You don't have to be an artist to respond. I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this.

Name/Title: Should it be called compassionate artists or have some other catchy name?

Purpose/Motto: The point of the artists group is to help each other grow artistically and to further our careers in art, but I'd also like to bring awareness to people who might not know about environmental issues, animal rights issues, humanitarian issues, vivisection and things of that nature. Every so often I'd like to have collaboration projects/charity auctions on eBay with all proceeds going to a friendly charity. This will bring attention of certain issues to a public domain and educating people while raising money for a good cause. (I think the first good cause would be a charity auction for VRF to help raise funds for all of the time, energy and money that went into making this great site possible.)

Who can join? Should all members have to be vegan? I'm leaning towards no but would like to hear your views on this. Do you have to be vegan to be compassionate about above issues?

Do you even think there would be any interest in such a group? Are there any compassionate artists out there who would even be interested in joining such a group?

Any type/format of art is welcome anything from painting, photography, sculpture, glass, sewing, etc. etc. You name it! All are welcome from beginner to professional. We can all help each other grow.

For eBay: We need a keyword so people can easily search for art for sale on eBay. You don't have to sell your art on eBay to be part of the art group. Also the larger the group gets we may be able to get discounts with online artist supply stores and such.

Then there are the issues of advertising, publicity, website and all of that fun stuff.

What do you think? Again, you don't have to be an artist to respond. I'm looking for everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Lacykitten
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
I love this idea and would definately be willing to join! :)

I don't think all members should have to be vegan, because a lot of people /do/ care about animals and other issues, while still being omnivores... and if they can help the causes we support, even /any/, that's great!

Tigerwriter
02-20-2003, 08:42 PM
run with it, megan!

i'm not an "artist" per se (i'm a writer), but i like the idea.

how can i help?

Dandelion
02-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Yeah that IS a good idea! :idea:

I'd help or join too, but time is somewhat scarce right now tho...:umm:
Perhaps Tigerwriter could help with a catchy name, there ya go! Writers are artists too! Damn straight.

I'm honored that you would choose the VRF as a recipient but i think there are other worthier charities. Besides i'm doing this outta my allotted activist time so spending energy on me will neutralize my(& your) efforts. Did that make sense? I appreciate the thought though. :blush:

It all sounds great!
Go for it, we got yer back grrrl.

Thanks for being such a passionate compassionate artist :D

herbi
02-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey, that's not a bad concept for a name right there... something about being passionately compassionate? Or compassionately passionate? I don't know... Wish I could be of more help, but I'm the kinda gal who comes up with lots of ideas (some better than others) and then leaves the details of actually implementing them up to other folks... heh heh... there's a fancy psych term for that personality trait, I'm sure, but I won't be offended if you shorthand it as "laziness." HOWEVER, if any more ideas occur to me I'll be sure & speak up, and when (not if, but when!) this group gets goin' I might very well contribute some art... You have no idea how much I admire someone who actually gets off their ass and DOES something like this instead of just talking about it like I do! You go girl! :)

VeganMegan
02-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Lacy: I agree I know a lot of people who care about some of the issues mentioned but are not vegan.

Tigerwriter: You are an artist of words! I've read your stuff before. It's fabulous.

Blue: I understand, you must be extremely busy. You've helped a great deal by just having this website. Yes, writers are artists. I think writing especially creative writing and poetry etc. is a fine art. I wish I had that ability!

Herbi: You have fabulous ideas! I too am a procrastinator and I hope that I can get this thing going. I'm fine as long as someone is constantly pushing and nudging me along. Ha! I should be able to do it but I don't think I would be able to do it alone.

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Spaceman
02-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Vegan Megan, here are some ideas that I had. I call it thinking out loud.

Artists could submit work on different scales. Each scale would represent a certain amount willing to go to a certain charity.

Charity of the month. Or all proceeds from a sale go to a specific charity of the sellers choice. They could choose when buying artwork.

Silent auctions. People send in bids. Highest bidder is winner.

Photos are a great idea. People could order prints (8x10, 4x6) from people who donate their digital photos.

Feature different artists. Artists could also include people who make their own clothes, accesories, jewelry.

Ask for donations from people like bed and breakfasts, grociery stores, online shops. Reward the artists who really get involved with these perks.

I know I could eventually come up with more when I am not so tired.

VeganMegan
02-23-2003, 12:19 PM
This is a great brainstorming session. I wish more people would get involved. Remember you donít have to be an art person to get involved. Your comments and suggestions do help.

HELP!! We still need a name for the group!!

Spaceman: Thanks for your ideas. Iím not sure about the monthly charity auction because depending on your type of art it can take more than a month to produce a piece. Unless we have a monthly charity auction and it is not mandatory that everyone take part in it. Actually, now that I think about it, I donít think I will make it mandatory that everyone takes part in every charity auction.

A featured artist of the month is a definite!

Ask for donations from people like bed and breakfasts, grociery stores, online shops. Reward the artists who really get involved with these perks.

Thatís an excellent idea. I am also thinking of trying to get people to donate their time and knowledge for things like web design, graphics and basic running of the group.

So far for a definite all artists of all types are welcome. You donít have to be a painter to be involved. Any art form is accepted.

The purpose of the group is to help each other grow and become better artists, and to further your career. But this group will be different from other art groups because we will do something most art groups donít do we will also have a charity auction every [month, bi-monthly, quarter: time to be determined] to donate to a friendly charity.

Every piece of art you create does not have to go to charity. Only when we have charity auctions or when you choose to. Many of us have to support ourselves off of our art, and as you know that is not an easy task. Why do you think they call Ďem starving artists? :umm:

When the time comes, I will take suggestions for charity and the artists will vote which charity will donate to at that time.

How about a monthly art show on eBay? Example: March: Think Spring! Art featuring flowers and other things that spring brings along with it. Each month can have a different theme. (Participation is voluntary.)

After a name is chosen I will get a domain for the group and start working on the site. Also there would be a message board for group members only. This way members can share their ideas without public viewing. We will also have a public message board for artists and collectors to interact.

Tigerwriter: Would you like to be editor of the site? Would you have time for something like that? If youíre interested email me and we can talk about the details.

Lacykitten
02-25-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm liking the ideas so far. :)

I would definately like to get involved as much as I can. I could offer some help on the website if it's needed.. I can't do much else except maybe advertise the group's idea to other people.. I have a LOT on my plate as of yesterday...

Right now I'm co-organizer for Calgary Pagan Pride Day 2003 as well as Media Coordinator.. I'm also in charge of the Art Show at ConVersion 2003.. which includes promotion, publicity, finding artists, volunteer organization, auction organization, reception organization for guests/artists, guidelines and rules, write-ups for the magazines, etc. - Hella lot for my first year on the concom (comittee)!! lol.

But I will definately do what I can, I will try to do paintings as well as photography if I can (I love using my digital camera lol). Also my best friend (my other vegan) paints so I will try to get her involved in this too!! My boyfriend makes some stuff including jewelry.. well, he's going to be making a bunch of Egyptian-ish jewelry for me for a game we play in.. I could easily prolly get him to make some to auction off. ;)

When we've got the group and site and stuff I will post things to various schools and art schools here in Calgary if that's acceptable.

As for a name.. How about something like.. "comPassionately Art"? .. I dunno. *laugh*

saintfrancis
02-25-2003, 03:31 PM
sounds good. ill help if possible. hmm...time to put on the thinking cap for a name brainstorming session. ill get back to you.

beka
02-26-2003, 12:35 AM
this is a neat idea. i mightt be interested.

i do mostly mail art..trading art with other artists. i always get so excited when i get an envelope collage with an anti-fur sticker on it, or a handmade postcard with an animal liberation stamp on the back. hehehe.

VeganMegan
03-07-2003, 12:23 PM
The compassionate artist group is still in the works. I just wanted to give an update for anyone who is still interested.

This is where weíre at so far. Everything is slowly falling into place, but we still need help with a few thingsÖ

We still need a name, so far it is just compassionate artists, but Iíd really like to get something a little catchier. If you have any suggestions please post them here or email at veganmegan@veganmegan.com

There is going to be a lot of database work going into the website so this it will be probably 4-6 months before I can pull the site together. Unless there is someone out there willing to volunteer their knowledge, skills and time... ;)

We are still looking for people to volunteer their time and talents to the business portion of the group. If youíre interested please drop me a note. Until we can find people to fill the positions I will be handling them. This is what I have so far:

Director: VeganMegan
Editor: TigerWriter
Webmaster/designer:
Marketing:

Iíd also like someone other than myself to design the logo for the group, but we canít do that until weíve decided on a name.

:sunny:

Lacykitten
03-07-2003, 01:00 PM
If you're in no great rush for the website and don't want something insanely fancy, I'd volunteer to do it. I won't be able to do much until I get back from Australia (June 1-ish) and might be quite busy until August, but.. I have no life so really.. heh.

I'm working toward the certificate in web design, haven't done much so far but I enjoy it. Sooo, if you want someone with decent skills, I'll volunteer unless/until someone better comes along.

VeganMegan
03-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Lacy: I'll send you an email with the details and you can decide if it is something you want to take on or not.

It will involve a lot of stuff using SQL server and databases. Iím going to have a database of the artists and they will be able to login in and keep an online gallery etc. etc. Iím also going to have a message board something like this one but it will be for members of the art group only so they can share tips and other things in private.