PDA

View Full Version : hello my name is: the vegan douchebag

Jessica?
08-09-2008, 12:48 AM
my name is Jessica (aka "the vegan douchebag")
i went vegan june 2008
this is my story condensed.

i was a little-over-a-year-and-a-half vegetarian (starting somewhere during sophmore year) because of the PETA video "meet your meat".
i always thought "god i could never go vegan! that would be so freakin hard, plus i don't get what's wrong with milk and eggs?"
i knew a few vegans at my school, i really respected them for their compassion and discipline but i thought they were crazy.
after a bit over a year of being a vegetarian i was getting more curious about veganism. i dissected the internet researching and found out so many things that seemed to be kept quiet from the average joe.
i started to drink only soy milk and ate vegan as much as i could, but wasn't ready to make the final leap. it made me feel really bad, i felt like i was being totally selfish. there was no more "ignorance is bliss". my knowledge and conscience were giving me migraines. i tried for 2 days and failed, fucking Golden Spoon. i gave up and it made me feel like shit even more. 2 or three months pass and i'm talking to another kid who was thinking about doing it (he ended up not even trying it). he told me about this movie called Earthling. so i watch it, half way through i'm in tears and my mom walks in the room, "i'm going vegan, i'm gunna do it."
she responds,"oh god, why do you watch that stuff? turn that off."
"to late, i don't want to be ignorant any more."

so, i went cold turkey(<ha). and had no idea what i was doing. i lost like 12 lbs and was feeling pretty if-y. it was nuts thinking; no icecream! no Swedish Fish! almost no resturants! no egg nog! no scrambled eggs! and; what about make up? hair products? lotion? and; am i gunna get sick alot? is this even healthy? how am i going to get all he vitamins and crap i need? and; my parents don't support this, including some of my friends.
sooo i felt pretty fucked.
butttttttt, thank baby jesus! Henery's health food store was right by my school, so i stocked up and familiarized myself with all the wonderful vegan alternatives! and a vegan friend of mine recommended the skinny bitch books to me.
i felt a little weight being lifted off my shoulders.
today is august 8, 2008, and i have been a proud vegan for about 2 and a half months so far.
i don't regret it at all.
so thats my story :]

oooh yeah and "vegan douchebag" is my nick name that some of my friends call me.
i've learned to have a pretty good sense of humor.

La Végétalienne
08-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Welcome!

no Swedish Fish!
FYI- Swedish Fish Ingredients (http://www.originalswedishfish.com/textOnly/productinfo.html):

Ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, modified corn starch, citric acid, artificial flavors, white mineral oil, carnauba wax, red 40
Swedish Fish are one of my faves.

VegeTexan
08-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi and welcome to our forum, Jessica.

Jessica?
08-09-2008, 02:34 AM
?! so they are vegan!?! i would have thought they had gelatin in them, so i've just left them alone. this is great! cause that was my favorite candy! haha thanks for the fyi :D

KaliMama
08-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Welcome! :sunny:

sitting_vegan
08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome!

Dugan
08-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Welcome!

Provoked
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Great meeting you! :)