PDA

View Full Version : my brief story

Carrots
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I went veggie when I was 19 (I'm now in my mid forties). As a child I'd cry at seeing the dead rabbits and birds in the market but it took me many years to get the confidence to go veggie.
I'd been gradually making my way to being vegan but I went hunt sabbing and met a load of vegans, and a few months later I went vegan too. That was nearly 25 years ago. I love being vegan and I'm a life member of the Vegan Society.

That's about it.
If you've any questions ask me and I'll see if I can answer them.

vegematic
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Hello and welcome, Carrots!
What is hunt sabbing?

-vegematic

sitting_vegan
07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Welcome!

Dugan
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Hunt sabbing is sabotaging a fox hunt, yes? 25 years - you've given us quite a goal to strive for.

Carrots
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Hunt sabbing is sabotaging a fox hunt, yes? 25 years - you've given us quite a goal to strive for.

Yes, that's right. I used to sab hunts back in the old days :) Nowadays there nearest I get to direct action is baking cupcakes for my work colleagues on World Vegan Day :D

25 years has really flown by. As for "a goal to strive for", I think each of us will get there in the end, some got there before us, some are close by, and some of us have longer to go. [SOAPBOX RANT] What's important is we made that decision to change ourselves, our lives and our world. We're all a force for change whether it be 50 years, 25 years, or 25 minutes ... what natters is we make those changes for the better. [/SOAPBOX RANT]

vegematic
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes, that's right. I used to sab hunts back in the old days :) Nowadays there nearest I get to direct action is baking cupcakes for my work colleagues on World Vegan Day :D

Wow, that sounds like it could be pretty fun and dangerous. I'd be interested in hearing more about it sometime.

And never underestimate the power of a good vegan cupcake...we have a whole thread about them.

-vegematic

Carrots
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
@ vegematic
hunt sabbing: For me this was back in the 80's. A lot has changed now that it has become illegal to hunt with hounds, although it still goes on. What we'd do then would be to either/and/or
- blockade the kennels with demonstrators to prevent the hounds or horses being taken out
- lay scents of strong smelling substances to put the hounds off the scent of the foxes
- make as much noise as possible to put the hounds off whilst they were hunting (including the use of hunting horns to distract them)
- try to prevent the hunt getting a kill by physically placing ourselves between them and the fox
- demonstrate with banners when the hunt would meet
- generally cause as much disruption to the hunt as possible

It was fun and yes it was dangerous. I've been chucked over barbed wire fences by pro hunt supporters, ridden down by a huntsman on a horse, whipped with a riding crop, punched and abused by hunt supporters etc etc. Cupcakes don't do that :D

KaliMama
07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Welcome, Carrots! :sunny:

: plots to use cupcakes to sabotage a fox hunt:

VegeTexan
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Carrots, welcome to our forum.
Good to have you with us.

Emiloid
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Welcome, Carrots!