PDA

View Full Version : Carrie's Vegan Story

dachshundaz
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Everyone!

Let's see...where to begin. I began vegetarian in college, back in 2002 I believe. After doing some research, I decided that it made sense to be vegan. I felt like if I was going to be honest with myself and true to my beliefs, that veganism was the right choice.

I was vegan for about 1 1/2 years and then went through some very difficult times in my life. When I reflect, I guess it seems like I just lost my way... I began incorporating dairy into my diet. Then I started to include fish about two years ago. Throughout this time, I will say that it just never felt right. I went back and forth and definitely did feel hypocritical. I feel like I was weak. I didn't have any vegetarian or vegan friends to support me. Now I do not feel like I need that in any way, but I definitely would love to make some veg friends. I want to be able to connect with people who share my concerns, beliefs, and are compassionate. Who wouldn't want to surround themselves with those types of people? :silly:

I digress! Recently, I decided to do some research and to really think about what I felt was ethical and what kind of person I wanted to be. That was when I made the decision not only to stop eating fish, but to go back to veganism (which I know is the right choice for me ultimately).

I do not know one other vegetarian and I really would love to make some friends! My family supports me, but only because they realize I will not change my views. They do not understand my choice.

I am currently in a relationship with someone who is not veg in any way. This is something else that I feel like I am struggling with. I am anxious to hear all of your thoughts on dating someone who is not vegan....are any of you in similar situations?

That's about it. Sorry for the long post. I think it had been building and it is good to let it all out! :happy:

KaliMama
07-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome, dachshundaz! :sunny:

Here are a couple of threads about relationships and veganism that may interest you:

Is it necessary for your mate to be vegan? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=7374)

ARTICLE: I Love You, but You Love Meat (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=12904)

Miso Vegan
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice to have you here! :daisy:

emzy1985
07-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. Many of us here have non-vegan partners!

sitting_vegan
07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Welcome! I hear you about no vegan/vegetarian friends...and I am married to an omni.

Dugan
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Agreed, and welcome.

dachshundaz
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you for the articles Kali! I didn't even realize there would be resources like that out there. :)

dachshundaz
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Thank you for the greetings everyone! It really makes me feel better that there are other people out there that I can talk to that are in the same situation. I am interested to hear your thoughts on it...I have been fine with it for the most part. I do not want to be judged for my decisions, therefore, I really try not to judge others. :umm:

VegeTexan
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Welcome to VR, Carrie.

Decomprose
07-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi Carrie and welcome to VR!

You might be suprised to find that some people you know are veggie or vegan but it's just not obvious. What does a vegan look like? There's no way to tell! :)

Because of your user name dachshundaz I wondered if you are also in Arizona. If so, a website that you will find really useful is AZVegan.com. It's run by Kari, the HSUS representative in Arizona, and has been a great resource for years.
Veganism influences your morals and thus impacts how we make many choices our lives. While it would certainly be possible for a non-vegan to understand the reasoning behind our choices, a non-vegan would not make those choices him or herself. Is that the kind of person we could call a soulmate? Possibly, but it would likely be extraordinary. I tried dating omnivores and vegetarians; there are lots of beautiful and fun people out there but had a difficult time finding someone who also shared my values. Where was my soulmate? I decided to date only vegans and tried online dating. Greensingles.com was the best site (five years ago) for matching ethics and morals, and avoided all the trash on sites like match.com.

Sorry for the rambling post; hope this helps!