PDA

View Full Version : Spike Opened The Door For Me

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Hello everybody! I have been lurking behind the scenes and reading this site for a couple of years without posting, loving every minute of it. For the past several years while our nation has been sliding into the abyss in terms of compassion and environmental stewardship it has been remarkably reassuring to visit this site and know that there are others not willing to blindly accept the effluvia being thrown at us masked as leadership. There are those of us living lives of peace that would like to see a similar sense of balance brought to all other creature's lives too, and you, my friends, are inspiring just that. The honesty, integrity, and sense of sharing here are awesome and free for anyone to see and become a part of.

I was an administrator on the old Vegan Chef Message Board back when Ray and Beverly did that. Does anyone else remember that? My user name on there was Rabbit; I did the animal rights forum. Nowadays if you are in Arizona you may have seen me at events for Farm Sanctuary, PETA, Prop 204, and local organizations. If you are not in Arizona you may have seen photography from my Flickr name "Decomprose." This is my vegan story:

Many years ago I had a girlfriend who said that at a certain time of year it was tradition to give up something for a period of about a month. I played along so we could go through this experience together. Red meat came to mind immediately because at the time I had a steak for dinner virtually every day. That experience broke me out of my red meat routine and at the time I was living in Hawaii, surrounded by restaurants with great vegetarian options. Meat became a smaller and smaller part of my diet. Years later when I moved to Arizona I adopted the single most wonderful creature Earth has ever known: Spike, a rabbit from Brambly Hedge Rabbit Rescue. He was just six weeks old when he moved in with me, and I was very interested in learning more about rabbit health and psychology. Through my studies I became aware of vivisection and was horrified to imagine someone doing tests on my little superhero Spike. Vivisection information online is also linked heavily to veganism so I read a lot about what motivates vegans and the science and morals behind that choice. While studying Spike's behaviors I noticed that when I cooked meat that Spike would hop from his favorite spot in the living room and into his cage, where he would try to burrow under a pile of hay. I finally realized that he was probably trying to escape the smell. That was it for me: I was vegetarian effective immediately, and knew that veganism was my goal. A few months later I attended my very first Farm Sanctuary Walk For Farm Animals and met the first people who I knew for sure were vegan. I was surprised: they were professionals from many walks of life. I was happy to find that vegans - at least these vegans - were intelligent, well-read, professional, active, open-minded people committed to a better, healthier world on the same general terms that I was. Fantastic! I went home, apologized to the cows (again), and threw away the remnants of dairy I had in the fridge. That was about ten years ago.

Speaking of apologizing to the cows, have you ever looked a cow in the eyes, apologized to it, and hugged it? That's some real soul cleansing for you. Visit Farm Sanctuary if you haven't yet. Tell Hugo, a big brown cow with a goofy smile, that the tough guy he made tear up said hi.

ahimsa
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Great story, Decomprose. Glad you decided to join us!
Welcome and :thumbsup: to you and Spike!!!

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Ahimsa!
Rob (Decomprose)

KaliMama
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Welcome, Decomprose! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. :sunny:

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks KaliMama! Very cool avatar BTW - did you design that yourself?

veganshawn
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Welcome aboard. I am really thankful for this place as well.

KaliMama
07-17-2008, 10:58 PM
No... I swiped it from Dave McKean (http://www.mckean-art.co.uk/).

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice work!

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks VeganShawn!

VegeTexan
07-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Welcome to VR, Rob. Good to have you with us.

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks VegeTexan! I'm an NPR supporter and will definitely check out your link.

downwithapathy
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I haven't even finished reading! RABBIT! You and I never communicated directly, but I used to read your posts back when I was Colly on the old VMB. I think I even remember your picture in the photo thread. Long dark hair and a mustache. Possibly standing on some kind of rock. Then someone commented that they always thought you were a woman. :laugh:

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 11:20 PM
COLLY!!!! Yes! I had long hair and a moustache! I did eventually get a hair cut; when I'm allowed to change my avatar I'll use my Flickr one. Yeah, I never understood why that poster thought I was a woman, but on a site where we let our compassionate side fly I took that as a compliment. :D

emzy1985
07-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey Decomprose and welcome to VRF! I think you will fit in here well. It's great spike inspired you to become vegan. Is Spike still around?

Decomprose
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks Emzy1985. Spike is still around in spirit, but more direct inspiration is received from rabbits Maggie and Marbles, cat Winston, dogs Rosie and Renee, and human Linda. Inspiration comes in many forms of course, particularly from the dogs in whose case it must usually be cleaned up, but I'm still thankful for it. Linda is my vegan wife; I had to find her on GreenSingles.com and she lived 1300 miles away!

emzy1985
07-17-2008, 11:57 PM
It's great to see you have surrounded yourself with love and compassion! 1300 miles away!!?? I take it she is from outside of the US then? Luckily I bumped into the woman of my dreams on a night out, unfortunately she isn't vegan yet....but I have ways!!! MUHAHAHAHA!

:laugh:

Decomprose
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Turn on that vegan love light!!

KaliMama
07-18-2008, 12:16 AM
1300 miles away!!?? I take it she is from outside of the US then?

The U.S. is bigger than you think it is, emzy. :blank: Seattle (Washington) to Miami (Florida) is 3,360 miles. For example.

Rob, what made you decide to delurk now? It was the spam, wasn't it?

emzy1985
07-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I knew it was big but I didn't know exact dimentions ;)

KaliMama
07-18-2008, 12:32 AM
It's HUGE! I moved thousands of miles and I'm still here! Halp! :laugh:

veganshawn
07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
I knew it was big but I didn't know exact dimentions ;)

Someone said that Oregon the state I live in is the size of England with about 97% less population, never bothered to look up how accurate it is but kind of gives you prospective on the size of the USA.

emzy1985
07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for that veganshawn! Puts it into perspective a little more. Dunno why people like to overcrowd this little island...ah yes that's right...the free healthcare:mad:

Kalimama....you should try and escape here and bring your lolcats with you! :D

Dugan
07-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Welcome!

Dandelion
07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I was an administrator on the old Vegan Chef Message Board back when Ray and Beverly did that. Does anyone else remember that?

Yup, actually Vegan Represent sprung to life (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=29) outta the ashes of VMB. Welcome old timer! :cool:

Decomprose
07-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks everybody!
Cheers Dandelion. VR evolved out of VMB? Well no wonder I've always felt at home here.
KaliMama, actually decided to de-lurk because I Googled my Flickr name "Decomprose" and found a post on here where someone had asked "who is this Decomprose person and why is he posting to our Flickr group?" It was an old post too! I figured I should get off my duff and actually write something.
Emzy1985, not to worry. England was my home for a while too; it's where I bought my first home, got my first full time job, did all kinds of fun stuff and it's a very important part of me. Perspective is about much more than distance.
Thanks Dugan!

La Végétalienne
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Welcome aboard. I am really thankful for this place as well.

Pun intended? ;)
Welcome decomprose!

Decomprose
07-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks much La Vegetalienne!

Miso Vegan
07-26-2008, 12:51 AM
"who is this Decomprose person and why is he posting to our Flickr group?"

Hey, I think I wrote that! Or at least, it sounds like something I would say...

Welco-- er, thanks for delurking! I had joined VMB but not too long before the Crash, so I never made connections, and remember very little. For awhile, I looked around for something with a similar vibe, then gave up ... until I met Nanashi and he clued me in.

Anyway, good to have you here. :)

Decomprose
07-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks much Miso Vegan! :D