PDA

View Full Version : I Was An Ex-Vegan

shayn3
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure exactly how to begin, or what to say. Perhaps I should say that I'm an ex ex-vegan.

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for years before I became convinced that if I was truly concerned about animals, a vegan diet was the only diet. Once I accepted that, I went about being vegan with much fanfare: I started a Meetup.com group here in Dallas, posted lots of blogs about animal rights & my cooking misadventures, connected with an online forum etc. etc. etc.

Things were good up until my Christmas party last year, when the rather mean-spirited behavior of one of my guests hurt my friends' feelings to the point where they dropped out of my Meetup.com group and ostensibly withdrew from further exploration of vegetarianism. Admittedly, this shouldn't have shaken me as much as it did, but it did anyway and I backslid further than I care to admit. My own feelings were aggravated by the rather childish posts that pretty much blanket a different vegan forum, and I started to really question whether what we eat and wear can really be regarded as a sign of compassion.

Fast forward six months, and I am recommitting myself to a vegan lifestyle. I am determined to stick with it this time around because I have realized how much it represents my own core values.

That's all I've got for now.

bluedawg
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
yay! welcome back, and welcome to VRF. :sunny:

VegeTexan
07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Welcome to our forum, shayn3.

Dallas, huh? Good to have another Texan with us.

bumblebee
07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi. I'm glad you're not an x vegan anymore. :)

downwithapathy
07-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Welcome! :D

veganshawn
07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Welcome and no matter how much other people offend you who happen to be vegan, it is about the animals not stupid and mean people.

Dandelion
07-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Welcome and no matter how much other people offend you who happen to be vegan, it is about the animals not stupid and mean people.
That's veganshawn's way of covering his ass later (cuz he WILL offend you....KIDDING*! ;) )

Welcome back! I feel your pain though. I organize the Vegan Chicago Meetup and have had my fair share of yuckiness both on and offline. These awesome vegans here keep me centered though.

How does veganism represent your core values?

*i make no guarantees either way ;)

veganshawn
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Dandy don't make me come to Chicago ;)

Miso Vegan
07-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Welcome back to the fold. Here, have a banana, it'll make you feel better. :banana:

emzy1985
07-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Welcome back to the fold. Here, have a banana, it'll make you feel better. :banana:

A moving banana with eyes? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (my worst nightmare would be that fruit and veg truely do have feelings lol! :laugh:)

Welcome to the forum. Being an ex vegan musta sucked! Glad you came back to a path of compassion even though it is not always easy to do.

Calliope
07-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Welcome. :) Don't worry. I'm an ex-vegan too. And my reason for falling off the wagon was stupid and ridiculous. I pretty much had a craving for bacon for like 2 seconds and I indulged it. :mad: I'm a smart one, but now I'm back on the vegan wagon and super happy. Hope the same goes for you. :happy:

Dugan
07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Hee... I've been on a bacon kick lately too - tempeh bacon, that is. Every time I make it, again, my omni SO comments "vegans don't know it's not bacon" imitating the voice from that dog treat commercial (the one I can't remember the name of now that I'm trying to think of it).

Welcome back to the wagon!

Calliope
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Hee... I've been on a bacon kick lately too - tempeh bacon, that is. Every time I make it, again, my omni SO comments "vegans don't know it's not bacon" imitating the voice from that dog treat commercial (the one I can't remember the name of now that I'm trying to think of it).

I've been hearing a lot of about this tempeh bacon business. I've even seen some pictures that look delicious...I"m going to have to figure out how to make that stuff. :p Tempeh bacon bean burger? Sounds delightful. :happy:

mishka
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I was also an ex-vegan for a couple of years (and about an extra 25 lbs!). Glad you've come back. Welcome :)

stegan
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome! While we can occasionally be childish here, it tends to be about farts- so don't worry too much, it's a good group. :happy:

Dugan
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I've been using the recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance. Do you have that one?

Calliope
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I've been using the recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance. Do you have that one?

Oh nice, do they have the tempeh bacon in there? I don't have that one, but I do have Veganomicon and The Everyday Vegan in the mail. :happy:

PS- to the original poster....I'm sorry, I'll stop hijacking your welcome thread now...that's probably in bad taste. :p once again, welcome to VRF.

JasperKat
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Beggin' Strips ;)

Welcome back to the fold! VRF is a great place to spend some* time :)

-JK
*or way too much time :uhoh:

Dugan
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Calliope - pm coming with the recipe
JasperKat - THANK you!! That was driving me nuts!

abe12345
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure exactly how to begin, or what to say. Perhaps I should say that I'm an ex ex-vegan.

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for years before I became convinced that if I was truly concerned about animals, a vegan diet was the only diet. Once I accepted that, I went about being vegan with much fanfare: I started a Meetup.com group here in Dallas, posted lots of blogs about animal rights & my cooking misadventures, connected with an online forum etc. etc. etc.

Things were good up until my Christmas party last year, when the rather mean-spirited behavior of one of my guests hurt my friends' feelings to the point where they dropped out of my Meetup.com group and ostensibly withdrew from further exploration of vegetarianism. Admittedly, this shouldn't have shaken me as much as it did, but it did anyway and I backslid further than I care to admit. My own feelings were aggravated by the rather childish posts that pretty much blanket a different vegan forum, and I started to really question whether what we eat and wear can really be regarded as a sign of compassion.

Fast forward six months, and I am recommitting myself to a vegan lifestyle. I am determined to stick with it this time around because I have realized how much it represents my own core values.

That's all I've got for now.

Hey. I'm in Dallas too. Would be interested in joining if you start a meetup group.

VegeTexan
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey, I might fly to Dallas for such an event.

abe12345
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey, I might fly to Dallas for such an event.

Excellent.

KaliMama
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome, shayn3! :sunny:

VT, how come you don't have a number after your name like all the cool Texas kids? :blank:

shayn3
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Abe,
There is a vegan Meetup in Dallas. After I stepped down, one of the active members took my place and has kept it going. Ironically enough, it seems to be headed in the exact direction I wanted it to. There's a BBQ on 7/19 and they're going to some type of animal refuge to do some volunteer work the following Saturday.

sitting_vegan
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome! Glad you came back to veganism!

abe12345
07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Abe,
There is a vegan Meetup in Dallas. After I stepped down, one of the active members took my place and has kept it going. Ironically enough, it seems to be headed in the exact direction I wanted it to. There's a BBQ on 7/19 and they're going to some type of animal refuge to do some volunteer work the following Saturday.

Thanks for the info. Just joined the group. Looks like a good group.

EvesChild
07-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Hey, I'm an ex-ex-vegan too. Sometimes it takes a try or two to get it right- don't worry -and, WELCOME! :)

Provoked
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome shayn3! This forum often holds my world together..... Hope you find the same comfort here too! :sunny: