PDA

View Full Version : Fancy That, I'm Vegan.

Fancy That
06-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi- I'm Fancy That, and I'm in San Diego. I've been looking at various vegan boards and decided to take a look at this one.

I have been vegan for over a dozen years, and it wasn't hard. I had already been vegetarian since I was thirteen or fourteen. I went Vegan because I just... thought about it one day, about what animals used for honey, dairy and egg production went through, and decided ethical vegetarianism was hypocritical.

It was overnight, and not hard because as a vegetarian I didn't eat much dairy or egg anyway, and never was a honey person. The hard part was realizing how much animal product is in foods that are labeled vegetarian, and so learning to avoid those, removing them from the diet and finding replacements... but that happened pretty quick too.

It wasn't a challenge- my sisters and sister's family are vegetarian, and though I was raised in a meat and potatoes household- seriously, steak for breakfast where I grew up- it wasn't hard to put compassion in front of all that.

To me when you believe in something, it's not a challenge to just freaking do it. It's a choice. You make the choice. You stick to it. Or you fool yourself.

Also, I have long felt that the environmental reasons were enough alone, even if not for compassion for the animals. And it's proven over and over that the environmental damage caused by animals-for-food industries is destroying this planet.

And of course, health reasons are what I consider a benefit of being Vegan. When someone says they are no longer vegetarian or vegan because of health, they needed to look into their nutritional choices, not stop entirely.

Anyway, I hope that's enough. I would love to get approved for full access and start reading posts.

bluedawg
06-26-2008, 09:46 PM
welcome to VRF! :sunny:

VegeTexan
06-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Welcome, Fancy That.

lamb
06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
...though I was raised in a meat and potatoes household- seriously, steak for breakfast where I grew up- it wasn't hard to put compassion in front of all that.

Well ello there! This is where I grew up, too. :confused:

...To me when you believe in something, it's not a challenge to just freaking do it. It's a choice. You make the choice. You stick to it. Or you fool yourself.

I like the way you put things, and I strongly concur!

Bienvenidos! Welcome!

sitting_vegan
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Welcome!

KaliMama
06-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Welcome! :sunny:

Fancy That
06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you for the welcomes. :)

Foxy
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Fancy That, you found us! And it's great to have you. :daisy:

Fancy That
06-27-2008, 01:56 AM
And happily, I can already read the forums even if I cannot post yet. :D

bluedawg
06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
you can read AND post, in fact! :)

the only thing you can't do right now is just monkey around with your profile, or receive PMs. but once the admin gets a chance to approve your account, you'll be able to do that stuff too. never fear!

Fancy That
06-27-2008, 04:09 AM
I tried posting in the other threads, but alas, it did not work... I'll try again.

:D

Taaitaai
06-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Nice to have you on the forum!

Dugan
06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Welcome!

shananigans
06-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Bienvenidos! :cool:

Emiloid
06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
To me when you believe in something, it's not a challenge to just freaking do it. It's a choice. You make the choice. You stick to it. Or you fool yourself.

Also, I have long felt that the environmental reasons were enough alone, even if not for compassion for the animals. And it's proven over and over that the environmental damage caused by animals-for-food industries is destroying this planet.

And of course, health reasons are what I consider a benefit of being Vegan. When someone says they are no longer vegetarian or vegan because of health, they needed to look into their nutritional choices, not stop entirely.

Word. :yes: Welcome, Fancy That!

bluedawg
06-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I tried posting in the other threads, but alas, it did not work... I'll try again.

really? unless something has changed on the site, that shouldn't be the case... have you had any luck now?

Joda
06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
:daisy: Salut Fancy That

Fancy That
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
really? unless something has changed on the site, that shouldn't be the case... have you had any luck now?

Yeah, I think it was my Firefox, it's been glitchy since the upgrade.

Fancy That
06-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I think it was my Firefox, it's been glitchy since the upgrade.