PDA

View Full Version : Julie's Vegan Story

veganelfgirl
02-20-2003, 12:14 PM
I had thought about becoming vegetarian all through college, but I didn't know how to go about it. I didn't know any vegetarians, just one person who didn't eat red meat and that was it. So I didn't have any idea how to go about it. I also guess I wasn't completely serious about it, I would just think about it from time to time. I ate very little meat as it was. And I have always been ultra sensitive about the well being of animals. My first memory of my hyper sensitivity to animals was in 4th grade. My classroom had a pet snake and whenever it was feeding time for it, there was always a big production with the teacher feeding the mouse to the snake. I always had to leave the room because just the thought of that upset me. Everyone else stayed and cheered the snake on. :o

After I graduated from college I moved to Missouri and it seemed like people were even more unhealthy than the people had been in California. So overnight I went vegetarian mostly for my health. It wasn't difficult for me to do at all. Soon after that I began doing more research into the animal and environmental reasons for becoming vegan. I also went vegan overnight. I've been vegan now since October 1999 (and I went vegetarian in June 1997). My main reason is for the animals and secondly for the environment. The health aspect is just an added benefit, but even if being vegan wasn't healthy I would still do it for the animals. :love:

herbi
02-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by veganelfgirl
Everyone else stayed and cheered the snake on.

Yeah, that's why I can't bring myself to keep any reptiles despite really being fascinated by some of them. :confused:

My main reason is for the animals and secondly for the environment. The health aspect is just an added benefit

Couldn't agree more! lol! Which is why I feel free to engage in Tofutti bars to a shameful degree..... :D