PDA

View Full Version : Memory Foam Mattresses

Dugan
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I searched around a little here and found that some of you speak very highly of memory foam mattresses, like the Tempurpedic.

I'm in the market for a new mattress. The current one is older than I want to say in public. Lately, I've had a flare up of some old back problems. The other night, I went to sleep on the couch (thanks to the snoring SO), then later moved into the bedroom. Within seconds of laying down - BAM - my lower back was hurting. So, I think it's time.

I'd used a Sleep Number bed and liked it - but, boy, lots of negative reviews for that type of mattress.

I've also heard great things about Tempur-pedic, but, the prices :shock:

I was at Ocean State Job Lot recently and saw they had memory foam mattresses for sale (no brand name). The ad is in their circular here (http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/osjlprod/promo/AdPages.aspx?AdPage=21).

I'm wondering, would this be just as good? Is name brand really all that important with memory foam mattresses? For instance, for Queen size:
Ocean state - $680, 10" thick
Tempur-pedic - cheapest $1199 for 8" thick
Healthy Foundations (http://www.healthyfoundations.com/memory_foam_mattress.html)= $1149, 10"
Zero Gravity (https://www.zerogravitybed.com/index.php?action=item&id=2298) starts at $850 for 10"
Angel Beds (http://www.angelbeds.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=161) has 'em starting as low as $650, but it's $1099 for their 10"

This is sooooo tempting at only $680.

With memory foam - does anyone not use a box spring foundation? I have a platform bed so a standard box spring would make the bed very tall. I could maybe whack together a wooden frame topped with slats that had less height and put a cloth cover over it...

gladcow
05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
We have a TempurPedic. We bought it for ourselves after years of using handmedown matresses. Both of us have had back issues in the past and the TempurPedic has really helped us in that regard. We have the box spring (or support or whatever they call it) that they sell. But, if I remember correctly, you can just have a solid piece of wood under it instead of the box spring. it just needs a support, since the mattress itself is foam and it will sink in between the slats (I think). We've had ours for 5 years? I think. We've washed the cover and rotated it and other than the matress being fairly heavy it is all designed to work easily together. We've had literally no complaints about our bed.

mamaquilla
05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I have a knockoff tempurpedic type bed, LOVE IT! :happy:

Please go lay down on every single one you are interested in. They have different feels and firmness, cheap may be fine or could be god awful. ;]

Ariann
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
We have a foam mattress which was made especially for us by a local manufacturer we know; we didn't pay for it, but the regular price for it was much lower than Tempurpedic. While we really do like it and it did an amazing job helping me fall asleep and not hurt when I got up in the morning, we've only had it for five years and there's already an annoying depression in the center of the bed. I don't know if there are any statistics out there on how long these mattresses last compared to traditional mattresses, but it seems just based on their construction materials that they'd hold up less well to stress and would be more prone to getting those holes and depressions, so factor that into your cost considerations. Probably frequent rotation would help with that, but we are lazy and can't remember when we last did things. We have ours on top of a box spring because the whole contraption is just on the floor, but I think it'd be fine without if you actually have a proper bed with a solid support.

Ariann
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh, and ours is 15" thick.

gladcow
05-23-2008, 07:50 PM
ours seemed to have a dip on one side. my husband is heavier than I, so we rotated the matress and now the dip is gone. I think it was just not getting a chance to spring back completely or something. we had never rotated it before, we weren't sure we were supposed to. but it worked!

Ariann
05-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, a problem in the middle of the bed is hard to rotate or flip away! I guess we could start sleeping sideways.

gladcow
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a workable option for your case :umm: sorry

Miso Vegan
05-23-2008, 11:40 PM
We have a foam mattress which was made especially for us by a local manufacturer we know; we didn't pay for it, but the regular price for it was much lower than Tempurpedic. While we really do like it and it did an amazing job helping me fall asleep and not hurt when I got up in the morning, we've only had it for five years and there's already an annoying depression in the center of the bed.

This same happened to me and my knock-off, which I eventually sold. It also didn't do what Tempur-pedic promises to do: make it seem like you're sleeping alone, even when there's someone sleeping next to you (no movement, no noise). I have heard people say they can totally do the wine-glass-on-the-bed trick.

Oh, and also, you either love it or hate it. I would never buy another knock-off, but someday I will own a Tempur-pedic.

gur
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM
my mom and stepdad just got rid of their tempurpedic (they had it for 7ish years), because the depressions on both sides wouldn't go away...
they said they'd never get a new one (said it was only good for about 3 years before their backaches returned).

Miso Vegan
05-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Aren't they guaranteed for like 10 years? Or did I dream it?

gladcow
05-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I can't feel the husb roll over or anything in the night.

gur
05-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Aren't they guaranteed for like 10 years? Or did I dream it?
i think so, but they had to prove that it was depressed (poor, poor mattress :p), or something. uh.

Tigerlily
05-24-2008, 12:41 AM
My parents have a Tempur-pedic mattress...I think it's one of the thicker ones? My mom says it was a waste of money and wishes she got a normal mattress instead. :umm: I never really slept on it but I have taken naps and it's honestly nothing to cry home about.

Oh and I tried the wine glass thing (but with water) and the glass totally fell down the second I got on the bed or moved. :mad::mad::mad:

Dugan
05-25-2008, 09:41 AM
A little more researching turns up that this is made by Cradlesoft. As near as I can figure, it's this (http://www.jeffcofibres.net/index/10quot;_Coolmax) model. So... we've decided to go for it. <fingers crossed>

vegematic
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
We got a knock-off from Bob's furniture about 2 years ago and like it quite a lot. We blew off the box spring and just put it on a futon platform (slatted) and it works fine.

One thing, though: The mattress S*T*A*N*K wicked bad for about a month due to flame-retardant chemicals and such. I've heard the same from folks who've bought the name brands also. If you can, plan to air it out in a little-used room for at least a week or so before you install it.

-vegematic

Miso Vegan
05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh totally! They are unbelievably stinky!

Dandelion
05-25-2008, 01:59 PM
any health concerns about outgassing? There are alotta hippie alarmist pieces all over the internet about this but i haven't seen anything credible.

KaliMama
05-25-2008, 05:47 PM
This article (http://healthychild.org/resources/article/rest_easy_on_a_safe_bed/) seems pretty credible to me, but then I may be a hippie alarmist.

A typical mattress is stuffed with polyurethane foam and other materials that may have been treated with flame retardants and covered with material treated with water-, stain- and wrinkle-resistant chemicals. These, along with chemicals emitted from polyurethane foam, such as toluene, can contribute to indoor air pollution (not to mention how many you’re inhaling as you sleep on it every night).

Recent studies have shown that brominated flame retardants persist in human and animal tissue for many years and that they may have similar action, and perhaps health effects, as the now banned PCBs and DDT. There has been evidence that some PBDEs can interfere with thyroid hormone, which is critical to the development of the fetus. Women in the U.S. have the highest levels of PBDEs in their bodies in the world, according to studies. Industry trade groups, however, deny use of PBDEs in mattresses. Newer mattresses most likely do not contain PBDEs as the form that was used in cushions and textiles has been phased out. (See the Sleep Products Safety Council Statement of PBDEs (http://www.safesleep.org/safety/pbde.html).)

One popular (stain repellant) treatment is DuPont’s Teflon®, the same product used as a “non-stick” coating on pans. In the past few years, it has been discovered that Teflon’s chemical building bloc, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), is now widespread in the environment and in humans. Due to concerns about the environmental persistence and health effects of Teflon’s building blocks, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) began an investigation, which has resulted in huge fines for DuPont.

A few studies show that PFOA causes “developmental toxicity and other effects” in laboratory animals. There is also concern about possible health effects to workers.

For example.

quagga
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
I was surprised to see so much positive interest on this thread about memory foam mattresses, given the level of concern shown on another thread about plastic water bottles and how many people switched to (relatively) chemically inert stainless steel Kleen Kanteens and the like.

I'm not saying the same chemical issues apply to both plastic water bottles and memory-foam, but both should raise flags of concern about absorption of synthetic chemicals, yes?

Mr Q and I sleep on an organic cotton futon. We tried a memory foam bedtopper for a bit, but eventually got rid of it. It absorbed our body oils through the sheets and became horribly discolored. Weird!

Of course, a good night's sleep is very important and you have to do what you have to do.

Just my US$0.02 worth....

Miso Vegan
05-25-2008, 08:58 PM
It's true, from an air-quality - and for that matter, foam-production-bad-for-earth - perspective, memory foam is probably not a good idea. Most mattresses aren't so you're left with quagga's solution. I slept on an organic futon for years, until it did my back in. Most of the options suck in one way or another.

gladcow
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
It's true, from an air-quality - and for that matter, foam-production-bad-for-earth - perspective, memory foam is probably not a good idea. Most mattresses aren't so you're left with quagga's solution. I slept on an organic futon for years, until it did my back in. Most of the options suck in one way or another.

:yes: I didn't really consider what the bed was made of when we got it. but I don't know if I would have chosen something different even if I had. I have a pretty messed up back (lots of car accidents) and my bed is one of the only things that really gives me relief when it is acting up. :umm: it's sounds pretty selfish but I guess I better be okay with that :laugh:

Dugan
05-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'd read of the flame retardant chemicals and outgassing aspects. My take on the flame retardant is that a regular inner spring mattress would have these too.

Futon - I used to use one when I was much younger. These days, they'd be far too firm for my old and frail body.

When looking into memory foam, I saw several latex foam mattress options - don't know if those would be any less susceptible to the chemical/outgassing than the memory foam. In any case, they were just as, if not more, expensive.

We let it air all day then used it last night. Or, the SO used it last night. I moved out to the couch after about 90 minutes. One thing I can say - it does not reverberate to his snores as the inner spring did. I moved back in for a few hours of sleep at 5. I got up from a couch with a slightly bothered back, laid down with no increase in ache, and woke up with no achiness whatsoever. I'm pretty happy with that.

At about the same time, I replaced my two pillows (two when propped up and reading, or only 1 or none for sleeping). I've tried in the past to replace 2 down pillows I've used for a very long time. What I like most about them is how malleable they are - the insides can be shifted around to make them just the shape I want. Most pillows these days have solid core, or a firm top that prevents this. I saw Mogu (http://www.amazon.com/Mogu-Large-Triple-Chamber-Pillow/dp/B000980RLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1211807024&sr=1-2) double and triple chamber pillows, also at Ocean State (much, much cheaper than Amazon). I wasn't too sure about them after the first night, but now I LOVE them! The filling is just as malleable in an oddly squishy kind of way.

gladcow
05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I just remembered, one of the reasons we got a memory foam bed is because I had been using a memory foam pillow that my chiro had given me and it had made a big difference. We are still using memory foam pillows and like them very much.

I also just remembered that I like saying "visco-elastic foam" :drool:

Dugan
05-27-2008, 08:37 AM
My first whole night on the new bed. Very comfortable, no lumbar complaints at all. After moving the old mattress to a spare room yesterday - currently storing it laid atop a spare bed - laid on it for less than a minute. Even in that small a time, several seconds each on back and each side, my back was starting to issue some protest twinges.

I must admit, I was worried that this might have been a huge mistake, but so far so good!

stegan
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Or, the SO used it last night. I moved out to the couch after about 90 minutes. One thing I can say - it does not reverberate to his snores as the inner spring did.
Not to thread hijack, but has your SO looked into sleep disorder treatment? If the snores are strong enough to make the mattress quiver, that sounds like it could be something more serious than a simple snore...

Dugan
05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I've been mentioning it to him and he has asked his doctor once. I'm hoping he'll push the issue a little more. The doctor suggested the nose strips that are supposed to help hold your nose open, or surgery. On the other hand, an acquaintance had a doc that hooked him up to a sleep monitor for a night or two. They found some sort of cardiac problem that was serious but fixable. Comparing the two reactions makes me think his doc either isn't taking it seriously, or isn't very knowledgeable.

sitting_vegan
05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
My SO is a serious snorer, is overweight and smokes. I think if he lost weight and quit smoking, it wouldn't be so bad.

/threadjack

stegan
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Comparing the two reactions makes me think his doc either isn't taking it seriously, or isn't very knowledgeable.
Your instinct is right, I think, although it's always hard to tell which is more apt with most doctors. :) He should push his doc to get a sleep test done. And if the doc won't go for it, he should go to the sleep center himself. If it is something like sleep apnea, the sooner he gets treatment, the better.

Just to give my $.02 on sleep apnea treatment, and then I'll stop thread jacking, I promise: my apnea is structural- no matter what weight I am or position I sleep in, my throat collapses when I sleep. I've tried a whole bunch of stuff- the breathe-rite strips are useless, and surgery didn't do much for me except knock me on my butt for the week after having it.

The only thing that's worked for me is C-PAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure)- it's non-invasive, but it does definitely take some getting used to...

If you have any questions, email me.

/ot

grog
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I got a foam topper from Overstock.com

http://www.overstock.com/14928/static.html

Cheap, and I love it. Keeps my shoulders/arms from going numb.

Girlfriend likes it not so much.

Emiloid
05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Why doesn't she like it?

grog
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
hurts her back she says.