PDA

View Full Version : Cancer- do vegans get it?

Jackie B
05-10-2008, 11:30 PM
There is so much talk among vegans about dietary risk in eating meat and dairy, in the cause of bowel/breast and prostate cancers. But does anyone know if vegans do get cancers normally associated with meat/dairy consumption?.

I personally dont know of any one who has had cancer and is vegan. But I dont know many vegans.

Miso Vegan
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I think vegans get different cancers, not the ones normally associated with meat/dairy - although even then, it possible, since few of us were vegan from birth. I have known of a vegan with breast cancer. (And one who had a heart attack.)

pink.apple
05-11-2008, 05:07 AM
I think vegans can still get certain illnesses they are just at lower risk. Well, as long as the vegans eat healthy and don't smoke/drink too much etc.

nauthiz
05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
The risk of these diseases does not go away if you're vegetarian or vegan. For the cancers that are associated with meat consumption, the correlation is often huge as far as these things tend to go in epidemiological studies, but far from the only factor.

Eating meat, for example, increases your risk of dying of colon cancer by about 1/3. In the US, about 7% of the general population gets colon cancer, so that implies a risk of about 5% for vegetarians. Colon cancer is still going to be one of the most common kinds of cancer among vegetarians.

On the other hand, we still live about the same amount of time as comparable non-vegetarians*, which suggests that our lifestyle increases the risk of developing other diseases.

The Oxford Vegetarian Study was a strong indication that most - possibly all - of the longevity boost vegetarians and vegans get over the general population comes from lifestyle factors other than abstaining from meat: we smoke less, drink less, exercise more, stuff like that.

Oatmeal Girl
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Someone (who was awesome!) who used to post here had cancer, but I don't think it was diet-related.

Jackie B
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Interesting facts there. We vegans do and should eat loads of fibre, which experts say reduces the chances of bowel cancer. So the fact of bowel cancer being common amongst veggies is surprising. Perhaps the answer then is veggies turn vegan?.

downwithapathy
05-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Someone (who was awesome!) who used to post here had cancer, but I don't think it was diet-related.
If we're thinking of the same person, I sure wish she'd come back. I see her on Facebook (I think) and feel a sense of nostalgia. :)

I think she said she may have been born with her tumor. It definitely preceded her veganism. One of my grandmothers died from breast cancer (at 49), so I certainly don't feel immune.

nauthiz
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Interesting facts there. We vegans do and should eat loads of fibre, which experts say reduces the chances of bowel cancer. So the fact of bowel cancer being common amongst veggies is surprising. Perhaps the answer then is veggies turn vegan?.
There's no evidence to suggest that vegans are much better off than veggies, and I think such speculation might be running counter to what's already known. Red meat increases your risk by quite a bit, but there's been some suggestion that other kinds of meat such as fish may have some protective effect.

Meat consumption is not the primary indicator for bowel cancer, either. The big ones, both of which play a much, much bigger role, are family history and alcohol consumption.

Oatmeal Girl
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
If we're thinking of the same person, I sure wish she'd come back. I see her on Facebook (I think) and feel a sense of nostalgia. :)

I think she said she may have been born with her tumor. It definitely preceded her veganism. One of my grandmothers died from breast cancer (at 49), so I certainly don't feel immune.

I think you're right. I wish she'd come back, too. She added so much to the boards. :)

mediatatck
05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
cancer diabtes and heart attck is impossible if youre vegan but you might feel anal itch low immune systems and chest pains if you work on a computer all day long in that case eat alaot of carrots and bananas to help your eyes and digestive system

in my opinion humans go vegan because they have cancer from eating meat or dairy or any sentient life. If they stick with they should overcome cancer but dying of cancer and being vegan, sure, that might happen if the person goes vegan a few months before death or is already up there in age. Also, you ABSOLUTELY have to use cruelty-free products to prevent those horrible diseases.

I hung out with Harvard-educated students in college who gave me PCRM info. I also was on one Primate Freedom Tour.

I'm no dummy when it comes to preventing cancer, heart attack, and diabetes.

Allan Sentineri
Mediattack! Mp4 and Multimedia

mediatatck
05-24-2010, 12:23 AM
toxins in leather are horrible for you to breath and wear lookout for leather toxins they could give a horrible foot disease

i got one from wearing leather doc martens and healed it by rubbing raw carrot on the wound and going vegan

:laugh:

old leather doesnt emit toxin such as recycled leather but try to avoid all suede its highly toxified to get it "soft"

you want to make sure recycled leather is coated on shoes and a sexier idea is to wear panty hose or socks

sure vegans who wear leather could be at risk of something but nothing too serious

hey im not downplaying your intelligence but people arent born with tumors unless a nuclear catastrophe has occured in that case go vegan to defeat it

also doing simple eco and animal postures wil help

soem call it yoga

i dont give naything a religious name just simple ones

vegans are most likely more healthier than vegetarians

alot of vegetarians risk getting skin cancer from dairy

its really more prevalent in the city

the easiest place to get it is from a tinted window in your car

gladcow
05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
vegans can get cancer, to suggest anything else is dangerous.

KaliMama
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
vegans can get cancer, to suggest anything else is dangerous.

+ a billion. Really dangerous and naive.

braddd
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Everyone has a risk for almost every disease out there. Just how MUCH of a risk is the question. That is affected by environment, food, etc. But there's ALWAYS a risk. :)

Kat
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
cancer diabtes and heart attck is impossible if youre vegan

I'm sure most members here know this isn't true, but I can't keep myself from replying...None of these diseases are impossible for vegans. Each has so many contributing factors that changing one factor (diet) won't necessarily negate the other factors (genetics, environmental toxin exposure, stress, infectious processes, etc)

Diabetes, for example; yes, people who eat healthy are less likely to get it, but it does have a genetic component and an autoimmune component...sometimes diet alone isn't enough to overcome that. (not to mention that vegans don't always eat healthy - i ate french fries three times this weekend! Yes it's vegan, no I shouldn't have done that :laugh: )

Cancer has a tonnnnn of contributing factors. For example, I work with a lot of sketchy chemicals...When I'm working, I don a lab coat, goggles, nitrile gloves (sometimes I double glove)....As much as being vegan is awesome, it wouldn't protect me if I splashed formaldahyde all over myself, you know?

Plus, some cancers are caused by viruses....Like epstein barr virus leading to burkitt's lymphoma, or HPV leading to cervical cancer...Being vegan won't make you immune to exposure to viruses.

Heart attack - this seems trickier, but I'll direct your attention to my previous statement that I ate french fries thrice this weekend ;) Plus, a heart attack can have causes other than cholesterol-filled plaques rupturing - a heart attack could be caused by things like air embolism (suppose you have an accident with a cylinder of compressed gas), or blood clots (suppose you have a genetic disorder that affects your coagulation)...

In conclusion....vegans can be really healthy, but we can also eat like crap, but either way, we're only human and we don't have the magic bullet that'll protect us from all manner of health ailments...If we eat high fiber, low fat diets, we can reduce our risk of all sorts of diseases, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can't or won't ever get sick. This is dangerous thinking! You ought to be going for your physicals and check-ups....vegans, and society in general, need to be going for our pap smears or prostate exams, mammograms, bloodwork, etc....vigilance is how we catch this stuff early enough to treat it! If you think that being vegan will make you immune to these things, you could end up ignoring important warning signs.

vegankitty
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Vegans can also be born with type 1 diabetes. Going vegan won't change that.

mediattack
10-13-2010, 03:05 AM
im not going to argue with you but if a vegan stays organic pure and healthy and does not use cruel grooming products only cruelty free ones there is NOT going to be any serious cancer risk prevalent. people cause cancer in them by treating their bodies horribly and using animal tested products along with eating sentient foods.

cancer is not genetic unless you follow the same habits. people cause it by using animal tested products and by eating sentient life and trusting the medical industry along with animal tested medicines. i dont want to argue with you about it anymore. i feel 100% positive about this.

i dont agree with you on this statement about diabetes either. diabetes is a symptom of animal tested products and sentient food also.

yes vegans can have cancer but that cancer is from the mistakes they made before they went vegan and started using cruelty free products.

if you want to avoid cancer do not eat any form of sentient food or use any type of animal tested product or medical industry product that came from animal testing. use only organic toothpastes and moisturing lotions and make sure they say non animal tested and cruelty free.

im positive vegans only get cancer if they use animal tested products, trust medical industry drugs tested on animals, or eat sentient foods

once they quit doing bad nonvegan stuff to their body the cancer does dissipate and can be cured. any vegan who died of heart disease or cancer had a serious onset of it way before they went vegan and cruelty free obviously. the key is being completely cruelty free as much as possible in your entire lifestyle. if youre a vegan who still uses dial ivory axe crest or any mainstream grooming product or takes psych meds tested on animals you wont get any really huge benefits from being vegan

they key is being cruelty free and staying away from all drugs alcohols and sentient foods including dairy honey and processed sugar.

the point im making is that if a person is truly vegan and maximizes a cruelty free lifestyle in everything from clothing to products tested on animals the risk of cancer or diabetes in even genetically exposed individuals is nearly impossible unless they do not stay on the disciplined path of a cruelty free, sentient free lifestyle.

to focus on why vegans get cancer is obviously because they havent been vegan drug and alcohol free or cruelty free long enough to build immunity.

im sorry but i think you are very mistaken in your vegan logic about disease. you cant just be a jetsetter or trendy vegan or a vegan who eats animals and a pack of cheese occasionally you have to stay with it and use cruelty free products also. many people are just too conformist to get a clue that it has to be a 110% individual effort that many people will reject.

The risk of these diseases does not go away if you're vegetarian or vegan. For the cancers that are associated with meat consumption, the correlation is often huge as far as these things tend to go in epidemiological studies, but far from the only factor.

Eating meat, for example, increases your risk of dying of colon cancer by about 1/3. In the US, about 7% of the general population gets colon cancer, so that implies a risk of about 5% for vegetarians. Colon cancer is still going to be one of the most common kinds of cancer among vegetarians.

On the other hand, we still live about the same amount of time as comparable non-vegetarians*, which suggests that our lifestyle increases the risk of developing other diseases.

The Oxford Vegetarian Study was a strong indication that most - possibly all - of the longevity boost vegetarians and vegans get over the general population comes from lifestyle factors other than abstaining from meat: we smoke less, drink less, exercise more, stuff like that.

IM SORRY BUT IM here to shine the flashlight in the cave and 100% debunk your old school theories about health and nutrition you have good intentions but you need the discipline to go 100% vegan cruelty free completely for 13 plus years to really understand vegan nutrition and development

im all for anyone trying the vegan path and im not out to probe people about what they eat or make them feel uncomfortable just to debunk some obviously mistaken theories about nutrition and health that may get posted

and anything with the name oxford it it rightfully makes me feel uncomfortable obviously since they probably had something to do with animal testing also

beforewisdom
10-13-2010, 07:17 AM
There is so much talk among vegans about dietary risk in eating meat and dairy, in the cause of bowel/breast and prostate cancers. But does anyone know if vegans do get cancers normally associated with meat/dairy consumption?.

I personally dont know of any one who has had cancer and is vegan. But I dont know many vegans.

Yes the do. "Reduced risk" doesn't mean "shield". It means reduced risk.

This topic gets me irrationally angry.

I watched a vegan friend die slowly of cancer a few months ago. I have another vegan friend who is far too young fighting cancer now and it doesn't look good.

When snake oil salespeople pop up on the web claiming to have a magic cancer cure it gives me anger. Same thing with super enthusiastic new vegans who are still believing everything they read. They get me really pissed off with the "well maybe she didn't____"
Um, yes she did ALL of those things. Sorry to say that your new toy and new enthusiasm is not 100% shiny.

Like I wrote it gets me irrationally angry.

Ariann
10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
That sounds like perfectly rational anger.

Miso Vegan
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I think vegans get different cancers, not the ones normally associated with meat/dairy - although even then, it possible, since few of us were vegan from birth. I have known of a vegan with breast cancer. (And one who had a heart attack.)

So I wrote this back in 2008 (and hadn't written anything since then). I now know another vegan - nearly life-long vegan - who got breast cancer.

Yet mediattack posted this on my Profile Page:

sorry im not here to argue with you but i feel youre another one of the soft vegans afraid of angering people [:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:] who holds back information people desperately need about beating cancer. no vegan who is completely vegan on all cruelty free products and stays vegan will die of breast cancer or heart disease if they have the discipline so many lack and they avoid animal tested mainstrem meds. it happens to people who are too far gone who attempt being vegan at the last stages of their lives. you have to be an active vegan and use cruelty free products for at least ten years to really start building up an immunity to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other diseases and im just not interested in arguing or fighting about facts.

I'm posting this here in case others have received similar - and I think, inappropriate - messages.

beforewisdom
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
That sounds like perfectly rational anger.

Well, it is my anger and I don't think it is rational.

The snake oil people, the "veganism cures everything" crowd and the sundry diet folklorists out there did not cause my friends to suffer. I don't have any reason to be angry at them.

gladcow
10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
cancer is caused and it's growth is supported by many factors, some related to diet (of which eating plant based can help), some related to lifestyle, some related to environment (which we have little control over as we share the planet with idiots), some related to genetics (of which we have no control) and some factors we don't yet understand. So, a plant based diet helps with ONE of the factors that causes and supports cancer growth. I don't feel this is adequate proof to claim vegans don't get cancer.

Ariann
10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, it is my anger and I don't think it is rational.

The snake oil people, the "veganism cures everything" crowd and the sundry diet folklorists out there did not cause my friends to suffer. I don't have any reason to be angry at them.

Wow, sorry for trying to be supportive, I won't do it again.

Those people cause plenty of suffering in the name of veganism and I think it's perfectly reasonable for most vegans to be angry at them.

beforewisdom
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow, sorry for trying to be supportive, I won't do it again.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Those people cause plenty of suffering in the name of veganism

Make no mistake, I find them irritating and I get angry ( though I don't know why ) when they talk about a vegan diet as a full proof prophylactic for cancer. I don't understand how they cause suffering? Do you mean by turning other people off of veganism with their extreme claims?

Ariann
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic.

Neither was I.

Make no mistake, I find them irritating and I get angry ( though I don't know why ) when they talk about a vegan diet as a full proof prophylactic for cancer. I don't understand how they cause suffering? Do you mean by turning other people off of veganism with their extreme claims?

No, I mean by accusing vegans who get sick with just being bad vegans. It's the same kind of suffering caused by any people who blame others for their experience of illness. As someone who's worked with dying people, I can tell you that the guilt that your "bad" behavior caused your illness causes a lot of suffering.

Additionally, causing vegans to believe that they are immune to illness could delay diagnosis and treatment of serious illness, causing needless physical and emotional suffering.

beforewisdom
10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
No, I mean by accusing vegans who get sick with just being bad vegans

I never thought of it that way. It would seem to fit, at least part way with the anger I feel for these people.

Moot point I guess, from the dental thread it looks like this mediattack person is a troll.

La Végétalienne
10-13-2010, 06:13 PM
psst. (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=423893#post423893)

beforewisdom
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
psst. (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=423893#post423893)

LOL.

MissLovely
10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
you might feel anal itch

What have you people been up to while I was gone?! D:

sitting_vegan
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
We've been double-trolled!

Kat
10-15-2010, 03:13 AM
I felt like I posted such a well thought-out response in this thread, and mediattack left a steaming pile of threadshit in reply. Oh well.

KaliMama
10-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Your post stands as a voice of reason amidst the threadshit and its byproduct, sarcasm. Huzzah!

Emiloid
10-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Mod note: I just merged mediattack's multiple short posts to make them easier to read and/or skip over.

VeganFromHell
10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Vegans aren't immune to cancer. Just have lower risk of getting certain types of cancer. Mainly those related to animal protein consumption.

Bunbury Mars
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Sorry for reviving this thread but there is this flaw in mediattack's argument which is just glaring at me, and, well, I like being smug ;)

The argument that vegans do not get cancer, or if they do it is because of unhealthy habits before veganism, has a problem. Thing is, claiming vegans only get certain diseases by nonvegan habits before is also claiming all nonvegans get diseases. If eating/using animal products causes later vegans to get a disease wouldn't then all nonvegans have whichever disease you so claim?

I know nonvegans who do/did not get any disease like cancer, and it would be irrational for me to say they did not "because they once had vegan habits" as it is irrational to say vegans only get diseases when they had nonvegan habits. Just switching the argument around.

beforewisdom
12-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Cancer can be the result of genetics, environment and/or lifestyle. There is more than one type of cancer. Some cancers respond to some things, others don't. A vegan diet will help reduce not eliminate, the risks of some, not all types of cancer.

I watched a vegan friend die in hospice last year. She was a vegan for years and even a raw foodist for years. She did every alternative health thing under the sun. She died all the same.

I have another friend who may have only 2 years of life left. She is in her mid 20s. When I met her she was one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. She had a glow. She was vegetarian since birth and vegan for years. She was an exercise fiend and at the cleanest diet of anyone I ever saw. She has angiosarcoma, a genetically caused blood cancer.

All of the TEA part/crack pot/raw food/other superstitious exploitive fairy tale advice in the world will not make her cancer go away.

Emiloid
12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I know you didn't ask for this, but I'm really sorry to hear about your friends, beforewisdom. How awful. :(

Bunbury Mars
12-27-2010, 03:18 AM
It took me a while to think of the best way to approach this, it is a very sensitive matter. It is truly awful to see such close friends be hit by such a horrible illness, I can relate, it has affected some of those around me. There is no immunity to cancer, not even veganism, I think we all can agree on that, simply a reduced risk.
You are correct, cancer is a mix of various factors, and we as vegans, well done veganism I should add, do reduce the health factor for cancer, but we cannot control the genetic or environmental aspects to disease.
I doubt anyone can demonstrate otherwise.