PDA

View Full Version : Hamsters May 2008

seitanicvegan
05-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I am quite proud of myself. For assorted reasons, I have devised a new workout plan: cardiovascular (i.e., power walking to work and back, 1.8 miles one way) on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays; weights on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays; a leisurely bike ride (if I feel like it) to church on Sunday, and stretching every single night before I go to bed.

I started with weights on Tuesday (April 29th), but I wanted to see if I could make it to Friday before patting myself on the back. And I did it! The walking to work thing is a little tricky to coordinate: I have to plan ahead the night before, wake up earlier, and carry everything with me in a pack: my change of clothes, teaching materials (since I don't have an office of my own), food, water, necessaries, and music (to keep my feet moving). But now that I've gotten the hang of it, I feel like it's no big deal. :D

sitting_vegan
05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Yay SV!

May 1-1 hr 10 mins walk/run.

shananigans
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
yesterday - 30 min rollerblading

sitting_vegan
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Today: 1 hr 20 mins walk/run

Emiloid
05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Good going, seitanicvegan! That sounds like a great workout, and it's cool that you've made it a habit already. Walking to school makes so much sense now that you moved. You're a lot closer, but not so close that it's an easy walk. Do you go down Forest the whole way, or do you cut over on the bike path?

BTW, spasticastic and I have seemingly gotten back into running. We went last weekend and yesterday... for half the time we used to go. We'll ease back up to one hour, but for now it's about 35 minutes. The first time (a week ago) I was really sore for a couple of days, but today I hardly feel like I went running! I guess that's a good sign.

sitting_vegan
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
May 7-1 hr 10 min walk with a little running.

veganrunner08
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh I love this! I'm new here and just getting back into my routine.
Sunday - got a trail a bike for my daughter (6) and her, my son and I all biked around most of the day. It was easy going with breaks and other stuff but when I added it up at the end of the day, I thought it was great we probably did about 10 miles! Really proud of my almost 8 year old son!
Monday - ran 3 miles on the treadmill - definitely felt like a hamster
Tuesday - ran 3 miles outside - much better
Wed - ran 3 miles back on the treadmill because of rain
Today - biked 7.5 miles in the rain! I wasn't expecting to hit rain but it was ok. Made me feel bad a$$ and tough! : )
and planning to bike back home tonight. At least it's sunny for the moment!

rick green
05-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I've been cycling everywhere since I moved to Houston a month ago. It's making me skinny. I've lost 10 pounds already (to 205). When I was a bike messenger 9 years ago I weighed 185 but that was way too skinny. I hope I can keep some weight on while continuing to ride.

sitting_vegan
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Poor Rick, wish I had that problem! ..Sorry, envious, I know underweight can be a serious problem and it don't get no respect!

Today: 50 min walk/run

veganrunner08
05-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Ran 3.5 miles today (Friday)

seitanicvegan
05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Another week down:
Walked to work and back Monday, Wednesday, Friday. :thumbsup: (I am rapidly growing to hate drivers and stoplights!)
Stretched every night but last night. :thumbsup:
Didn't do weights. At all. :umm:

shananigans
05-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Didn't do weights. At all. :umm:

I'm in the same boat this week. :confused:

Wed - 3 mile run

Fri - 3.5 mile run

A little stretching here and there, some leisurely dog walks enjoying all the spring flowers. :happy:

shananigans
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Mon - 3 mile run

Today - 1 hr pp class

on my way to yoga class now. :)

sitting_vegan
05-15-2008, 08:32 AM
May 14-50 mins brisk walk

shananigans
05-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Yesterday - 3 miles run

Today - 1 hr pp class

Emiloid
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I ran for about 40 minutes each of the last two Sundays. I think it was about 3.5 or 4.0 miles, but I'm not sure. Oh, I should check on Map My Run (http://www.mapmyrun.com)!

seitanicvegan
05-24-2008, 05:39 PM
This past week, I did weights and stretches, but I didn't walk at all for womanly reasons. There are certain times when getting hot and sweaty is not a good idea.

This week, my schedule changes. Instead of walking 3.6 miles on three days a week (almost 12 miles), I'm switching to 2ish miles five mornings a week, weights 3 nights a week and stretches almost every night. I'm going to walk through the park, which will be a much more pleasant route than city streets.

seitanicvegan
05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
New Workout Schedule
Day 1:
I walked this morning, and it was nice. I was accompanied by a gray squirrel for a stretch. I'm glad I took a bit of a break from walking for a few days; it gave my knees a chance to recover well. After I got back from walking today, I had no knee problems whatsoever. It's official: my knees don't do well with added weight, not even a light backpack on flat, paved roads. So in order for me to pack on extra weight for camping trips (and expect to get anywhere), I need to lose body weight. Talk about a wake-up call. :umm:

seitanicvegan
05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I forgot to add: This is the first time that I've power walked without Kohla. Walking to work was different because it wasn't just walking; I had to get to work, so I wouldn't have taken Kohla with me even if she were still here. But she would've gone with me today. :(

LuC
05-26-2008, 04:22 PM
we moved from a bungalow into a four story house (that's with the basement), so i feel like i'm doing a good cardio workout just by having to get a pair of socks upstairs (our bedroom in on the top floor).

i've also been going to about three yoga classes a week for the past few weeks. i've been trying to increase my yoga intake because i'm going to take a teacher training course this summer. it's all of july - 6 days a week, 14 hours a day. i'm really looking forward to it. :)

shananigans
05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Dancing. Lots and lots of dancing. :thumbsup:

seitanicvegan
05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
New Workout Schedule
Day 2 (yesterday):
I didn't walk. I slept in too late and then left to meet a friend for a movie. Unfortunately, the friend stood me up :mad:, but at least the movie was decent. I did weights and stretches before bed.

Day 3 (today):
I walked. I love how my leg and gluteus maximus muscles are all tingly after I get back.

After plotting this walk out carefully on a mapping program I use, I figured out that it's about a 3 mile walk (round trip). This explains why it's taking me 50 minutes, instead of 35-40. Unfortunately, a long route won't work well once the summer session starts up; then I will have to haul myself out of bed at o'dark thirty, walk, shower, down a smoothie, grab my stuff, and take off by 8am. Goal for tomorrow: find a walk that's closer to two miles.

sitting_vegan
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Today: Walk with a little running, 1 hr 20 mins.

Emiloid
05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
seitanicvegan, I wanted to say before that I'm sorry again about Kohla. She was your constant companion, and I know it's still difficult. Anyway... I don't know exactly what to say, but I know it's tough for you. :(

As far as my own hamstering goes, I did not go running last weekend. However, I did go for a nice hike on Sunday and a fast walk on Monday. It's not the same, but it's something. I think I need to start doing sit-ups or crunches, push-ups, and other stuff. I feel like I have no muscles in my arms or abdomen! :p

sitting_vegan
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Today: 1 hr 5 mins walk/run