PDA

View Full Version : Joy's Vegan Story

Joy L.
04-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Hello Folks,

My name is Joy, and I'm a NH resident, soon to move to FL. I celebrated my 6-month anniversary of starting my Vegan journey last week - 9/25/07 was the happy date that I started.

I was 50 at the time (have since had a b-day), and feeling the ravages of middle age, menopause, weight gain, lack of energy, etc. Over the years I have often entertained thoughts of a Vegetarian diet, even a Raw food diet. I've owned many veggie cookbooks and several Raw food books, but always had stumbling blocks. They were:

Cooking for my family
Believing that we require as much protein as we are told
Having emotional eating issues

Well, my kids are adults, in fact my daughter is a vegan and was a vegetarian for over a year prior to my change. I only cook for my hubby and myself on a regular basis, and he never felt as though he needed to make changes in this direction.

I had 3 events coincide which really pushed me over the edge, and then caught me in my fall. What a great plummet!

First, one morning on the toilet I realized that I had become so fat that it was difficult to reach down and do a proper job of wiping (sorry to be gross, but one must understand the impact of such a revelation and how it would really get the point across).
Within the same week, I read an entry in Christine Kane's blog about dairy and the book The China Study, and I was so intrigued by it that I had to go buy the book. The same day I bought The China Study, I ate lamb and then saw the episode of MASH in which Radar hides a baby lamb in order to save it. I knew in my heart that I'd never eat lamb again.
Also in the same time frame, I read Eldon Taylor's Choices & Illusions, and was led to try InnerTalk (audio programs that provide affirmations).

I actually bought The China Study on Saturday, Sept 22, 2007, and had finished it by the 24th. That was it. I credit the "toilet epiphany" for giving me a jolt, the Inner Talk recordings for helping me embrace the choices long enough to internalize and stay with my eating changes, and the book gave me the information I needed to embrace this intellectually, plus explain all of this to my husband.

I'm thrilled to say that my hubby joined me in this adventure, and we have both been amazed and delighted with our results. In fact, he has become the evangelist in our family, particularly sharing his new-found knowledge at work. He lost so much weight so quickly that his co-workers thought he was ill.

We have both been rewarded with weight loss, a huge increase in energy, obvious skin improvements, and greater interest in ... ahem... "romance" again. I believe that our weight had us in the danger zone for other ailments, and that it may have only been a matter of time.

He is a little more inclined to give in to lack of availability... we recently traveled to FL, and he had a few non-veg meals when we were on the road. But, he also acknowledged his resulting digestive discomfort and general feeling of malaise afterward. We are at the point that a slip-up or intentional exception doesn't make us want to give up our veganism; it makes us all the more convinced of the rightness of our choice.

I've had a few situations in which either I ate something and found out afterward that it had egg in it, or I ate something made with love by a well-meaning family member. My mom forgot that a lemon cake made with eggs wasn't vegan, but I felt that it was important to honor and appreciate her effort, and so I ate a piece, and explained that I was doing so to appreciate her effort, but would really rather not in the future.

While we initially became vegans for health reasons, we are jazzed by how it relates to environmental responsibility. I also love the feeling of relief that I am not supporting factory farming or any other animal exploitation and death.

I am personally convinced that this way of being is of great value, and I am now seeking out this community so I can share my interest and enthusiasm about it. I feel more peaceful and aligned with the Universe this way.

So, that's my story. Glad to be here!

Love,
Joy

sitting_vegan
04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Welcome, Joy!

VegeTexan
04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Welcome to VRF, Joy.
Glad you and your husband made the decision.

Emiloid
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Welcome, Joy! I'm glad you're here! :sunny:

quagga
04-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Great story, Joy! Welcome to VRF! :happy:

KaliMama
04-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome, Joy! :cool:

Dandelion
04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I've had a few situations in which either I ate something and found out afterward that it had egg in it, or I ate something made with love by a well-meaning family member. My mom forgot that a lemon cake made with eggs wasn't vegan, but I felt that it was important to honor and appreciate her effort, and so I ate a piece, and explained that I was doing so to appreciate her effort, but would really rather not in the future.

Brilliantly handled! :)

Awesome story, thanks and welcome!

LesMiserablesLove
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Welcome! :)

Joy L.
04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi everybody! :banana:

Thanks for the welcomes, and I'm just really happy to be here.

Love,
Joy

:sunny:

KaliMama
04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd like to add my kudos to you for handling the lemon cake episode with grace and compassion.

And I :heart: M*A*S*H.

Provoked
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Joy!!! And come on down!!!! I'm here in Florida too - (Central Florida - Winter Haven).... and yes, I'm a "budding" senior - 53!

The immediate thing I found once I eliminated dairy was that my menopausal hot flashes nearly stopped completely.... Had 5-8 a day/night.... no milk? 1 or 2 a week - Also, the weight loss for both me (and my husband) is a bonus!

Very nice meeting you!!! And good luck on your move - :)

Joy L.
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks, KrishnaMama & Dandelion for your comments on my lemon cake story. The cool thing is that my mom seemed more open to sharing some of my "weird food" after that. We were visiting her in FL, and went shopping and
cooked while there, and she was really rather at a loss over it all. Happily, each new thing she tried opened her eyes a little - she really liked Boca Chikn patties, and loved roasted Brussels Sprouts served with brown & wild rice. I left a package of seasoned tofu, and she was very concerned about saving it for me :umm:, which I discouraged. I told her to cut it up and put it on salad like cheese. :D That worked for her.

In fact, that could be a strategy... :thinking:

My mom can't waste food - it's a compulsion. So, once I move to FL, I can leave veggie food in her frig, and she'll feel compelled to eat it! Mwa ha ha :cool:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Provoked (love your name), I took a look at your eBay Me page - very nice & good for you! I am also an eBay seller, and have some land in Lakeland (north, toward the Green Swamp area). We originally thought to build there and relocate, but are now reconsidering. We are leaning toward selling the property there and living on the east coast, St Lucie county area. That's where my Mom is, and Mr. L wants to work on boats. Good to be near water when looking for boats, eh? :rolleyes:

Much is still up in the air, except that we will be living in FL by year end. I used to love the snow, but have become a wuss and don't want to deal with it anymore.

And yes, my menopausal symptoms have soooooo improved since going vegan. (note - I feel weird using "going vegan", but it's the simplest way to say it. Unlike many, I didn't go O/L/Veg first - my last 3 days were Bacon Cheeseburger, Leg of Lamb, Fish, Fish.... then vegan. It surely was like jumping off a cliff, but there was no question how beneficial it was.)

So, yes, nice to meet you all, too. Feels good to be here. Plus, you guys have really good smilies!!! :banana:

Tally ho!
:zonkey:

Provoked
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Joy!!! Yeah, the snow got to me too 35 years ago - I was 20, hopped on an Amtrack train in the middle of February - got off in Miami the next day and have had "sand in my shoes" since..... I've had to go back up north(usually in the coldest part of the year) .... burrrr... yep, I'm a wusss too. :)

So.... Green Swamp? - I pass that often going to the Webster Flea Market - If you sell on ebay - you might have been to it? - Anyway, St Lucie is beautiful - We boat as well and I much prefer the east coast of Fl than the Tampa area..... Tampa's just too "big city" for me.....

Anyway, Lakeland is the next town from Winter Haven which is where I'm at - you KNOW we will have to meet once you get down here! :happy: