PDA

View Full Version : myplasticheart: representing evil since 1978

myplasticheart
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I have been a vegan for almost 2 years. I came to a revelation that I didn't want to contribute to certain aspects of society, and help line the coffers of companies that don't care about people or the animals we share the world with. I am replacing my everyday items with vegan and eco friendly alternatives when possible. I am attempting to recycle and reduce my waste and negative footprint on my environment. I want to volunteer and help my fellow mammals live better lives. I want to find inner peace, consume less, and maybe get laid along the way. However by no means am I a person to admire.

My reasoning for being a Vegan is based very much on my sliding scale of morality. I would like to look back on my life with confidence that I made the right decision in the moment. I cannot ever be proven wrong, the most I will concede is that perhaps I misjudged the situation, but I never flat out wrong. Living my life treating mammals, regardless of species, as equal and damaging my environment less is what I strive towards. There is no need to lord it over people who do not share my point of view, the ultimate pat on the back is knowing in your heart you are right. My veganism is a mixture of compassion with a heaping dose of narcissism.

As an omnivore I talked a vegeterian into being Vegan. A rational person cannot look another rational person in the eye and state they care about preventing suffering to a certain point. This is the fundamental flaw of vegeterianism. It's ok to drink milk and eat cheese, but not consume the flesh of the animal? If the animal doesn't perish immediately from whatever method is used to extract products from it, somehow it suffered less? Seriously, what kind of retarded logic is that. Even as a omnivore I realized how dumb that was. That is the type of thinking that allows things like the slave trade and ethnic cleansing to occur. When we start to distance ourselves from another group because they have different cultures, different methods of communication, and appearance all hope is lost. I treat people and animal alike with the same respect (or lack of) I expect to receive from them. We are all potential meat, and human tend to forget that until something eats them.

As a child I questioned my parents constantly to why cows, pigs and chickens were killed for food, but we could not eat the family dog, or perhaps the neighbor child I didn't like. What was the difference? Meat is meat! I LIKE meat, I just don't like it enough to eat it. My desire to always be right and stand by my convictions supersedes my desire to turn omni again. I do not evangelize Veganism because according to my mum I am "doing it for the wrong reasons". It makes perfect sense to me being the way I am. How could you knowingly make a business of manipulating and exploiting sentient creatures that exhibit the same base instincts you do simply because you happen to be the dominant genus on the planet? How could you in good faith eat them knowing that animals have families, needs, wants, and desires just like yourself? Only sociopaths and the ignorant can exhibit that behavior. I challenge the people I interact with to answer this question every time my methods are questioned.

I do not like being questioned, and I am never wrong.

sitting_vegan
03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Welcome! I liked your story, some really well-put points there. Thank you.

VegeTexan
03-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Welcome to VRF.
I don't think I have met anyone who was vegan for the wrong reasons (whatever that would be). I don't think you are either.

chikara_no_tori
03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
i dig your story and i think you will dig it here! welcome, hon...enjoy the serenity... :D

shananigans
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM

What a coincidence, me too!

Welcome. :)

Sunne
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM

I don't like being questioned either. It's only my business what I decide to eat.

Welcome :)

Provoked
03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi myplasticheart! Awesome story! :D