PDA

View Full Version : MK Shelley's Vegan Story

MKShelley
02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I first decided to become vegetarian about six months ago when I started having major gallbladder problems. It seemed easier to cut out a lot of fat than to go to the doctor. Meat seemed to bother my stomach the most, so that's what I cut out first.

So suddenly, I was vegetarian, and I mean vegetarian in loosest of ways. For instance, as long as it wasn't flesh or broth, I was OK with eating it. It wasn't that I didn't care - I just didn't know any better.

That all changed when I came across the video, "Meet Your Meat," on GoVeg.com.

After watching this, my reasoning turned from medical to being against factory farming . This video helped me to give up eggs, cheeses, milks, yogurts, and other obvious forms of dairy. At this point, I thought I was vegan. HA! Did I have a lot to learn!

It only took me a few days to realize that I was still eating (DAILY!) the things I should have been avoiding when I was vegetarian, such as:

- Carmine (Cochineal, Carminic Acid): crushed female beetles, or cochineals
- Gelatin: Protein obtained from boiling skin, bones, tendons and ligaments of cows and pigs
- Glycerin (Glycerides and Monoglycerides): Animal fat
- Lard: Fat from pig abdomens

Needless to say, I was shocked at how many animal ingredients I was ingesting. Of course, after looking over that list again, I realized that animal byproducts are even more prominent in my hygiene than in my food!

I was becoming pretty frenzied at all of the animals products that I've been bathing in, and rubbing on my face every morning, and BRUSHING MY CHILDREN'S TEETH WITH! Not to mention washing my dishes and clothes in!

At this point, my motivation for becoming vegan is no longer related to only health and animal safety, but has also become an outright disgust at what products in the world today have come to.

Who knew! I didn't a few days ago, but now that I do, I can't live the same as before - and you know what? I'M GLAD!

I think (*think*) I might be on the right track now that I've cleaned out my cupboards and bathroom cabinets, but at this rate, I'm sure tomorrow I'll find out that paper towels and trashcans have animal products in them too.

-MKShelley

VegeTexan
02-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Welcome to VRF, MKShelley. Glad to have you with us.

vegankitty
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Welcome ! :cool:

mishka
02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
welcome, MKShelley! Veganism certainly is an eye-opening journey. Hope you enjoy the ride :)

sitting_vegan
02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome!

stegan
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Welcome! I think you'll find the gang here to be helpful and informative in your journey. :)

lullured
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Welcome to VRF. Six month ago I didn't even know what glycering was, or at least I had never thought about it before. In a way it really surprised when I learned what it was, because how can you see the name again and again and bying products with it in withoug knowing? I even have a "glycerin-cream" (that's the name of it) and I didn't know anything....

KaliMama
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome! :cool:

Provoked
03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Nice to meet you MKShelley :)