PDA

View Full Version : Adding "scent" to unscented laundry detergent?

Oatmeal Girl
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I recently bought a huge jug of unscented laundry detergent (I forget which brand, but it's one of the more popular vegan ones) on sale for super cheap. I've never used unscented detergent before so I don't know if this is typical, but after doing a load I noticed that the clothes aren't "unscented", rather, they smell slightly musty. I don't want to waste the detergent but I also don't want my clothes to smell musty for the next 6 months, so I was thinking of adding a few drops of essential oils or some other scent to the jug. Would this work?

Miso Vegan
02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I recently bought a huge jug of unscented laundry detergent (I forget which brand, but it's one of the more popular vegan ones) on sale for super cheap. I've never used unscented detergent before so I don't know if this is typical, but after doing a load I noticed that the clothes aren't "unscented", rather, they smell slightly musty. I don't want to waste the detergent but I also don't want my clothes to smell musty for the next 6 months, so I was thinking of adding a few drops of essential oils or some other scent to the jug. Would this work?

Yes.

But maybe the issue is not the unscent, but other issues. Washing machines, especially older ones, can harbor mold. Maybe it wasn't enough soap.

Anyway, yes, add EOs freely to your nose's liking. :)

Oatmeal Girl
02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks! :)

Emiloid
02-08-2008, 07:19 PM
How do you mix it? Just shake the bottle? Can you add oils to powdered detergent as well?

sitting_vegan
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Would shaking the bottle result in mucho bubbles?

:: pictures lovely scented bubbles flying everywhere ::

Miso Vegan
02-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd just turn it upside-down and right-side-up again a few times, and let it sit. Diffusion takes care of the rest.

Emiloid
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Well... I was picturing letting the detergent sit for a while after shaking it! :p

Miso Vegan
02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, if you're going to be like that about it... :silly:

La Végétalienne
02-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Would shaking the bottle result in mucho bubbles?

:: pictures lovely scented bubbles flying everywhere ::

Would that really be such a problem? I mean, it might be kind of nice. :happy:

Ariann
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I'd try another load before adding scent. I always use unscented laundry detergent and my clothes don't smell musty. But sometimes if you let a load sit in the washing machine too long after it's done spinning, it will start getting musty and the dryer isn't hot enough to kill it. I find it only takes a few hours of sitting for it to happen. Also, if you don't wash your clothes on a high enough heat to really kill stuff, they can eventually start smelling off. You can also try running a load of wash through with detergent plus a cup of vinegar on the highest setting (try it with towels) to kill off mold and any other growths in your vents and tubes.