PDA

View Full Version : Soybean's vegan story

soybean
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
I became vegetarian at the age of 8 after a visit to my uncle's farm in upstate New York, when I watched my uncle and father slaughter several geese. I was appalled at this, but was even more horrified when I was served one of the geese for dinner that night. It was the first time that I really made the connection between animals and the "food" that I ate. I refused to eat the duck that night, and became vegetarian shortly after.

Even at that young age, my parents were supportive of my decision to become vegetarian, although I think they figured it was just a stage that I would grow out of. With the exception of a short lapse during a bad time in my life during my college years, I have been veggie ever since.

I had always been interested in veganism, but always thought that it would be too difficult. About a year ago, I finally started doing some serious research into the subject. After learning more about where the dairy I was eating came from (I had already given up eggs at that point), I realized that there was no way I could NOT go vegan. The transition from vegetarian to vegan was much easier than I thought it would be, and nine months later I have never felt healthier or more content in the fact that I am living in a way that benefits myself, my fellow animals, and my earth.

Flower
01-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Welcome!! :daisy:

VegeTexan
01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Welcome to VRF, soybean.

mamaquilla
01-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Welcome!

sitting_vegan
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Welcome!

bumblebee
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Hello :)

Emiloid
02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Welcome, soybean! I like your username... I just want to eat it up. :)

KaliMama
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome, soybean!

Who's hungry?

Provoked
02-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Soybean! Making the connection at 8???? :idea:You rock!:banana: