PDA

View Full Version : Hello, everyone. Nice to meet you!

PixieMagic
05-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Hello, everyone!

I am another (former) VW/VeganMB and current VeggieBoard member who has found her way over to VRF.

I went veggie in high school, thanks to the quiet example set by a good friend of mine. She was never preachy or pushy about it, and I became curious as to why she chose to be vegetarian. As I uncovered more and more facts about the meat industry, I decided I could no longer support such an industry. I became veggie in October '97, and relied heavily on dairy and cheese at first. (My cheesetarian phase) :umm:

Then in 1998, I was taking several classes at Stanford University, where I met a small group of vegan students. I was shown graphic videos about dairy/eggs, and given leaflets full of information. I tried cutting all animal products out, but my heart wasn’t really in it. Looking back, I was in denial about it all. I went back to being lacto-ovo for the time being.

Then, midway through Uni, I realized that I couldn’t continue turning a blind eye to the cold, hard, facts. I decided to “officially” go vegan in March 2001. I had been gradually cutting things out up until that point. It was really difficult to adjust at first, but it helped that my husband was also going vegan at the same time I was. He had also been a lacto-ovo up until that point. I had really bad cheese and ice cream cravings for a while, but those cravings eased up over time. (Nutritional yeast and Tofutti/other soy creams to the rescue!) We made it a point to educate ourselves on proper nutrition, hidden ingredients, and countless other things. We’re lucky to be living in California, because there’s such an abundance of cheap fruits and veggies in the farmers markets and the stores. For the most part, both of our families have been supportive of “the veganism thing.” There’s the occasional good-natured ribbing, but it’s all in fun—never offensive. In the beginning, they had concerns about nutrition and our overall well-being, but they’ve seen that we’re both very happy and healthy. All is well.

Not a very exciting story, but…that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!
:thinking:

~PixieMagic

jenzie
05-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Welcome PixieMagic! :D I liked your story! My boyfriend went vegan at the same time I did, and it made things a lot easier! I think having your SO make the transition with you is very helpful. :)

Where in California are you living? I'm in San Diego.

Vegit-8
05-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Hello PixieMagic.
I really enjoyed your story. It was so...real. :)
Thank you for sharing it.
And a big welcome to VRF.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

herbi
05-28-2003, 06:09 PM
long live Tofutti, the methadone-like crutch relied upon by so many of us former cheese-atarians... :blush:

Welcome! :)

saborm
05-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi PixieMagic. :)

It's good to hear that your family's are supportive. That makes it so much easier.

PixieMagic
06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Jenzie, we live in southern california, but will be staying in northern california for the summer. :cool: