PDA

View Full Version : Plain Yogurt?

the bean
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Can anyone tell me a good plain soy yogurt? I've bought a couple (of course i can't remember the brands now), and they always seem too sweet. I want something completely not sweet that i can make raita with. Suggestions??? Thanks!

mamaquilla
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
WholeSoy, I like theirs a lot. I dont "think" its sweet, but cant say for sure. :)

downwithapathy
01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I feel like WholeSoy plain is sweeter than Silk plain. There's also Nancy's, which I'm afraid to buy (I've heard it was too plain--this may be what you want).

If you weren't avoiding sweet, I'd wholly endorse WholeSoy. It's one of my greatest pleasures in life. :)

gladcow
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I would recommend Wildwood (http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/index.php), it has no sugar added. Wholesoy and Silk have sugar added.

Miso Vegan
01-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I second Wildwood.

the bean
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I have Silk now, and it is way too sweet. Wildwood sounds like what I want, but I've never seen it around here. I just wrote to them to see if anyone in the area sells it. Thanks for the info!

michiganveganchick
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
i ran into the same problem when i was tryng to make tzaziki sauce. i ended up using tofutti sour cream/better than cream cheese and it worked very well. i couldn't find any non-sweet yogurts around here.

gladcow
01-06-2008, 10:23 PM
:o I found plain wildwood today at Food Fight!

vegankitty
01-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Whole Foods here carries it. If they don't have it near you , maybe they can order it?

Pisces86
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I have soy allergies but like yogurt. Any suggestions.

JasperKat
08-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a big container of plain Silk yogurt that I need to do something with. Any suggestions? My first thought was cucumber dip to have in sandwich wraps, but that won't even come clost to using it up!

-JK

gladcow
08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
smooothies! frozen yogurt! egg replacer in recipes! dog poopsicles!

KaliMama
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
dog poopsicles!

:laugh: :yes: Add some fennel for serious fart reduction!

And smoothies...yum :thumbsup:

bluedawg
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
we have one of those in our fridge at all times, for maia. :yes: she gets a scoop on top of her kibble at each meal. she LOVES it. maybe see if it can work for sprocket-bribing?

i need to find the post that explains the details of yogurt/fennel popsicles. i keep forgetting to try that.

KaliMama
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't remember where I posted it...basically you just throw a scoop of fennel seeds into your yogurt container and stir it up, then scoop it into ice cube trays & freeze it. :shrug: I stopped measuring a long time ago. Maybe 1/4 cup of seeds in a big tub of yogurt?

bluedawg
08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
oh! well that certainly sounds easy enough! :laugh: thank you! :kiss:

what is the messy-factor with popsicles? do you think it would also work to just mix the fennel in and scoop on her food as usual, or is freezing a better option once there's stuff in the yogurt?

KaliMama
08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Freezing may help if the fennel flavor is too strong or not to Maia's liking. I haven't had any messes with popsicles here. Shiva likes to take his to his bed or in his crate to eat it, and it's gone in less than a minute. Guile just plops down wherever he is and eats it.

Yogurt doesn't freeze that hard, so they can eat it pretty quickly, and it won't hurt their teeth.

JasperKat
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmm, Sprock isn't very farty, but I'd love to find another veg treat option for him. Maybe frozen in the kong.

-JK

KaliMama
08-23-2008, 12:21 AM
:yes:! My guys LOVE LOVE LOVE plain yogurt frozen in the Kong.

Peanut butter frozen in the Kong is also a huge hit. Guile drops the Kong, which causes chunks of frozen peanut butter to fly out. He eats them, picks up the Kong, and repeats the process. Shiva tries to steal the Kong while Guile is eating the frozen peanut butter chunks. We watch and laugh. It's fun for the whole family!

petaske'kwe'
08-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I have soy allergies but like yogurt. Any suggestions.

This is a little late but So Delicious (http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/Coconut_Milk_Yogurt_Reviews.html) makes a good line of soy-free yogurt made with coconut milk.

JasperKat
08-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Sprocket does not like yogurt. :( Picky picky dog. I might try it frozen anyhow, maybe he'll like it that way.

I will definitely try smoothies this week, and dig around for a frozen yogurt recipe. I saw some amazing blackberries at the store the other day, blackberry smoothie sounds :drool:

-JK