PDA

View Full Version : vegan pizza dough

militantVEGAN
05-25-2003, 08:32 AM
does anyone know of any good vegan pizza dough that is pre made?

militantVEGAN
05-25-2003, 12:56 PM
oh, and as a side note/question...

i abstain from most fast food places as much as possible, but i was wondering also if there was a pizza delivery chain that makes its pizza's with a vegan dough? sometimes i travel and its hard to find appropriate foods, and it would be good to know of a chaini nationwide where i could order one minus the cheese. Thanks!

Sacredlrose
05-25-2003, 07:04 PM
papa johns is vegan if you get the regular crust, but I think they are a smaller chain. And so is the garlic sauce

Leanan
05-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Pillsbury has one that comes on one of those tubes that bust open when you pull the label. :) It's pretty good - it just rolls out into a rectangle.

I fix it when I have pizza cravings, but instead, I just make breadsticks out of it (although it needs seasoned, or it's kind of bland that way) and dip it in some pizza sauce. They are pretty thin, but it gets the point across. :D

herbi
05-26-2003, 09:40 PM
I second the motion that we all order some Papa John's with extra mushrooms and garlic "butter"..... :)
When we want pizza 'round here but are too lazy to make dough & too poor to order in, we just use french bread. Mmm...

inkie
05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
I always thought that the garlic dipping sauce from Papa John's wasn't vegan because it has lactic acid in it. Do they use a vegetable source of it or something?

inkie
05-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Oh, on the pizza dough, I can't think of the name of it right now, but there is a frozen one out there that is kinda like the Boboli ones that taste really good. It is prebaked, you add the stuff you want on it and pop it in the oven for about ten minutes. Next time I go to the HFS, I will try to remember to take note of the brand name.

downwithapathy
05-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Most delivery pizza dough is actually vegan. The big exception is Dominos. I'll look up the details later, for I must leave for class....NOW.

herbi
05-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by inkie
lactic acid in it. Do they use a vegetable source of it or something?

These days most lactic acid in foods is from fermented vegetables-- yay! I didn't actually call the company and check this for myself (BAD HERBI!) because P.J.'s was recommended to me by some-a the most hard-core vegans I know, so.....

shedonteatmeat
05-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Today I found premade Ener-G Pizza Crusts at my local HFS. Quick glance at the ingredients and they looked vegan. (didn't buy them, just checked out of curiousity) But for $10.99 for 2, I'd rather just order out if I wanted pizza that bad :P

militantVEGAN
05-27-2003, 10:27 PM
hey, thanks everybody, ill check it out...!!

misanthropy
05-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Pizza dough is SUPER easy to make and really doesn't take that long. Only takes a few minutes to mix and knead and then you just let it rise. You can always premake and bake the pizza crusts and freeze when you have time on a weekend. Or you can just freeze dough balls and defrost when you need it.

Later today, I'll dig up a yummy foccacia recipe I use which also doubles as a pizza dough recipe.

Adam
06-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by misanthropy
Later today, I'll dig up a yummy foccacia recipe I use which also doubles as a pizza dough recipe.

Funny you should mention that, misanthropy! I'm in the market for a foccacia recipe at the moment. I'm excited to see what you've got!

Here's the pizza dough recipe I've used over and over - don't remember where I got it (but I've changed it a bit). Sometimes I add wheat germ or flax seed meal, or different herbs and spices. It takes me about five minutes to put all this together, and no matter how much I mess it up, the pizza always tastes great!

For 2 large crusts
1 tbsp Yeast
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt or "Liquid Aminos"
1 tsp dill seed, or whatever you want to flavor the crust
1/2 cup Cooking Oil
1 cup warm (115 deg F) water
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour

Pizza sauce, toppings, nutritional yeast, your choice!

Grease a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
Preheat oven to 475 F

Put yeast, sugar, salt, flavorings, oil, and one cup of the flour into a medium mixing bowl and pour in the water. Stir until no longer chunky, and yeast starts to bubble.

At this point begin adding the rest of the flour, stir till it is mixed in. When mixture is too stiff to stir with a spoon, begin kneading.
Knead dough till smooth and till it no longer sticks to the bowl and your hands

Allow dough to rise to about double its height. When dough is risen enough, punch down, knead for a minute or so, then divide it in two. If you want to save the second half for another day, you can put it in a plastic bag and freeze it, then thaw it out later.

Roll out and then stretch to fit cookie sheet or pizza pan. Spread the sauce thinly onto crust, add toppings, and put into oven for 12-15 minutes or till crust darkens a wee bit. Enjoy!

San
07-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's dough. When eating out, I like a chain called Shakey's, but I don't think there are very many left. Papa Murphy's Take-n-Bake is vegan, too, although they're the only place that has freaked out about not being "allowed" to sell a pizza without the cheese.