PDA

View Full Version : fave NYC eateries?

herbi
02-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Hey all-- I just might be in "The City" for a weekend next month. Can anyone recommend some awesome (and preferably CHEAP) restaurants for me to check out (and preferably impress some omni pals with ;)) ??? I think I'll mostly be in Manhattan and Long Island, but am willing to take trains to any which where if the grub is good enough...

Spaceman
02-19-2003, 02:39 PM
You could always check out Moby's Teany Restaurant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/dancenews/020716_moby.shtml

Other than that, I am not sure of any decent restaurants.

beka
02-22-2003, 02:20 AM
vegetarian paradise 2.

soul fried chicken!
mint chocolate chip ice cream

OMG.....
*scrounging up pennies and quarters for a bus ticket..*

dviolet
03-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Check out this link for a great list of NY restaurants, with reviews:

http://www.satyamag.com/restaurant.html

Dawn

herbi
03-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks all! The hypothetical trip is next weekend... looks like it'll probably fall through actually :( but I'm keepin' this list anyway just in case... I know I'll end up there one of these days! :)

DesmondH
09-20-2007, 12:05 AM
This is an old thread, but why not pull it out again? I just tried Blossom in Chelsea. It's not cheap, but not expensive either. Finally a nice place where we don't have to worry about the food! And yes, you will definitely impress the omnis. They even have a great wine list! They're gourmet, organic, and vegan! :laugh:

http://www.blossomnyc.com/

vegankitty
09-21-2007, 01:48 PM
I like Angelica's on E 12th street.Organic , vegan but not that cheap.Also Curly's vegetarian lunch on 14th Street. They have lots of vegan stuff and know about stuff like honey and whey not being vegan. They have really good specials.

mishka
09-21-2007, 01:56 PM
When I was in NYC a couple of years ago, we ate at Zen Palate (http://www.zenpalate.com/) 3 times just for the won ton soup.

syv24
09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
I went to NYC for the first time in August and stopped at Kate's Joint, an all-veg diner (not sure if they have a website . . .). It reminds me a lot of the Chicago Diner. Cheap and fast, but with the sit-down experience.

gravity_defiant
09-21-2007, 02:27 PM
When I was in NYC a couple of years ago, we ate at Zen Palate (http://www.zenpalate.com/) 3 times just for the won ton soup.

I've only been there once, but I was kind of disappointed. It was OK, but I'd heard it was great.

But then, I didn't try the won ton soup. *puts that on to-do list*

DesmondH
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
New favorite place!!! Hangawi on 27th Street. I was never a big fan of Korean until I tried this place. The room is lovely, traditional, extremely calm and soothing, which prepares you for BEAUTIFUL food! Oh, and you get to sit on the floor. It's fabulous! :laugh:

diffuse
09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
yeah, i love hangawi! their tofu cheesecake is so delicious!!! (& er, they're on 32nd st., not 27th, yes?)

several of the restaurants that everyone raves about i just feel... meh... about. like angelica kitchen & gobo.

i like the vegetarian dim sum house. also sacred chow is AMAZING.

there's this fancy vegan restaurant that used to be on the lower east side that closed--i can't remember the name, but it made me so sad cuz there's definitely a need for a fancy date/anniversary/birthday vegan place, & the food was incredible.

i also love candle cafe & candle 79 a lot. also happy buddha in flushing is really delicious--much better than a lot of fake meat-based chinese food places.

bumblebee
09-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I wish that I lived in NYC...a land where someone can consider Angelica's Kitchen "meh".

DesmondH
09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
yeah, i love hangawi! their tofu cheesecake is so delicious!!! (& er, they're on 32nd st., not 27th, yes?)

Ooops! Yes, indeed. 32nd street! I SO can't wait to go back! :rolleyes:

SyrLinus
12-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Gobo's (West Village location) is great. We went there last night and had a great buddhist inspired vegan dinner:

- scallion pancakes with homemade mango salsa
- shitake caps in mashed sweet potatoes & raisins
- natural seitan medallion in sizzling spicy citrus sauce
- brown rice (with pine nuts)
- yam & yucca fries
- gingerbread and vanilla ice cream, topped with spiced berry compote

We were going to have red wine with it but they told us the reds weren't vegan (due to being filtered through egg shells :( ) On the plus side, all their desserts were vegan. And the washrooms gender neutral (good for me since I'm gender queer).

Ariann
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
What an appropriate follow-up! We went to Gobo's (upper east side location) for dinner tonight to celebrate our anniversary. Food was good (we ate three of the things SyrLinux listed!), but overpriced for what it was. Dessert was mediocre, will definitely skip it next time and just go to the NFS next door and buy a pint of Tempt (srsly why do veg restaurants still serve crappy soy ice cream when better alternatives exist?)! Service was mediocre. Kind of wished we had gone to our local vegan Chinese place for a third of the price, but we might go back for a special occasion with NY friends. We decided next time we're just getting a bunch of appetizers because that was definitely the best part. (and the bathrooms in the upper east side location are not gender neutral)

If you like Hangawi and feel like a more "special" experience, go to Franchia which is super awesome.

vegankitty
10-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah- I don't know how well gender neutral bathrooms would go over on the UES. I've only been to the uptown one and I always here how great the downtown one is-I wonder if it's different? Because I didn't think it was that great.

Have you tried peacefood (http://www.peacefoodcafe.com/) yet? I want to try it-I've heard good things.

Ariann
10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I've been to Peacefood a million times (approximately :) ). I spent a lot of time there this summer studying. I would say I really like the layout, really like the service, and the savory foods are quite good, particularly the soups (although didn't like the tempeh sandwich, too tempeh-y). The baked goods I've tried were a little dry (cookies and biscuity things). I don't like their black coffee, but I like their teas and the fancier coffee drinks. Also, WiFi, which is a big plus.

D.phels
10-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Its been a while, but I think the farm land by Rochester has some nice roads. When I move back to New Jersey in a couple months I just wish I could bring back the mountains and twisties here with me.