PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded bloat

Beanqueen
05-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Does anyone here suffer from any digestive problems? I go through phases where I get really bad bloating (to the point where my clothes don't fit and I feel like a whale) and have had IBS diagnosed but am not convinced given that it is such a loose term and covers so many symptoms, some of which I have, some I don't... and well, I just disbelieve everything my doctor says!!

Any suggestions? Please......:sick

AdiaStar
05-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi Beanqueen,

I was once told by my doctor that I suffer from IBS as well. I happen to agree with you that it is a loose term and covers alot of symptoms.
What I did was get food allergy tested. I found out that I have a few intolerences(onion) and well as full blown food allergies(cherries!!). I've tried to keep the intake of these foods to a minimum with some success and feels lots better.
I use Papaya enzyme when I get that bloated beached whale feeling.
I also eat fennel which helps the stomach tons! My mom uses fennel tea to help her digestive problems and it helps her as well.

This may sound stupid but walking helps as well.

Hope this helps you some.
AdiaStar

kristeenamarie
06-02-2003, 09:06 PM
odd digestion goes with veganism, gas, all that terrible stuff.

Rachel-Kristeen
06-08-2003, 10:01 AM
I have IBS! I been searching forever to find some vegans and vegetarians with it. and i KNOW it is NOT our food ... I always been like this. It runs in the family. I go in for surgery tomorrow and i am really scared. *I hope they don't take all my piercings out*
There all three types of IBS and I have all three but two versions i have more offen. I gained a lot of weight from when it starting getting worse to now, I am not fat but i use to be super athletic and skinny, now i never want to go out because i hurt so much, Any of you have this problem?

Beanqueen
06-08-2003, 12:01 PM
I hope your surgery went ok *crosses fingers*

I have cancelled nights out because of feeling grotty but basically, if I know I am going out, I am super careful with what I eat for a couple of days before. I know wheat makes me bloat and also sugar, whether fruit sugar or refined sugar. I have put on weight also but when I did a two month detox that involved no wheat and no processed food then I lost most of the excess. I find drinking water helps (at least 2 to 3 litres a day.)

I used to have eating problems and I am worried that years of not eating have left me with this health problem. Like my insides don't know what to do with all this food...

Sometimes it feels like I can manage it and sometimes I just feel like there's nothing I can do to make it any better. I know I'm worse when my period is due. Stress makes it worse too. I have never been to be tested for food intolerances, I think I will do that when I have the money.

misanthropy
06-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rachel-Kristeen
I have IBS! I been searching forever to find some vegans and vegetarians with it. and i KNOW it is NOT our food ... I always been like this. It runs in the family. I go in for surgery tomorrow and i am really scared. *I hope they don't take all my piercings out*My sister (ovo-lacto vegetarian) has IBS. But she can't pinpoint it on any one food either. Good luck with your surgery (and yes, they will probably make you take your piercings out). Let us know the outcome.

AdiaStar
06-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Stress has ALOT to do with IBS. Especially if don't have an outlet to relieve your stress.

My sister was studying for finals about 6 few weeks ago and was complaining of really bad pains. She went to the doctor and he said IBS. The weird part was that she was stressing over a final for her stress management class!

The doctor told her to use bene-fiber. I'll have to ask her if it helped.

Rachel, how did the surgery go?

VeganUU
06-20-2003, 10:10 AM
I get serious bloating and what I affectionately call "crazy gas" pretty regularly. One of my best friends calls me a "fart machine" (he's so sweet!). Usually deep fried foods (which I eat very rarely) and anything with seitan causes the most problems. Back when I was a milk-drinker it was a billion times worse (I'm lactose intolerant). Oh, and since I'm a virgo all of my stress and anxiety goes right to my stomach. People who've given me back rubs when I'm stressed are always amazed to find that my back seems fine, but unfortunately, they usually don't want to rub my stomach. *Sigh*

I saw a doctor about this last year, and he told me to take fiber supplements. It was lovely... I got to tell him all about how often I took a crap, etc. Since I'm vegan, I do it more than most people, so he was a little confused. It was funny! Now I just try to eat foods high in fiber and that usually works just fine. As long as I'm able to fart when I feel like it, I'm a-ok. :D Hope your surgery went well, Rachel-Kristeen! Let us know what happened!

Vegit-8
06-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Some quick notes from my experience on bloat and IBS.

1: Both are usually affected by food choices.
2: The more complex the combinations in the meal the more likely you are to have problems.
3: Bad fats such as animal sourced saturated, all hydrogenated, and highly heated fats like in deep-frying are all causes for concern.
4: Dairy is the #1 criminal for most non-vegans.
5: Fennel seeds are terrific for relieving gas. Chew on a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon full until there is nothing left but fibre in your mouth.
6: Enteric coated peppermint oil is very effective for relieving bowl spasms in most people with IBS. It is hard to find vegan enteric coated products.
7: The single most important thing a person with IBS can do (besides learn how to release/manage stress) is take a very high quality probiotic formula like Primal Defence.
8: Drink plenty of water.
9: Be sure there is adequate calcium in your diet.
10: Use plant/bacterial based full spectrum digestive enzymes with EVERYTHING you eat.
11: Some people get bloat because the foods they are eating are too rough and it is irritating the intestinal lining and frequently the ileocecal valve. If this turn out to be the case it is wise to reduce aggresive fibre for a while to let things calm down and then slowly increase it once more. Celery is an example of a real problem food for this, as is wheat bran (one of the worst).
12: There are many ways to alleviate IBS. Some work for a short while and others (the more extensive that involve significant lifestyle changes) can pretty much get rid of it. One other product that has worked well for many people with serious intestinal problems is Molo-cure ($$$).

Good luck in letting off gas and realizing a happy tummy.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Vegit-8
06-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Some quick notes from my experience on bloat and IBS.

1: Both are usually affected by food choices.
2: The more complex the combinations in the meal the more likely you are to have problems.
3: Bad fats such as animal sourced saturated, all hydrogenated, and highly heated fats like in deep-frying are all causes for concern.
4: Dairy is the #1 criminal for most non-vegans.
5: Fennel seeds are terrific for relieving gas. Chew on a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon full until there is nothing left but fibre in your mouth.
6: Enteric coated peppermint oil is very effective for relieving bowl spasms in most people with IBS. It is hard to find vegan enteric coated products.
7: The single most important thing a person with IBS can do (besides learn how to release/manage stress) is take a very high quality probiotic formula like Primal Defence.
8: Drink plenty of water.
9: Be sure there is adequate calcium in your diet.
10: Use plant/bacterial based full spectrum digestive enzymes with EVERYTHING you eat.
11: Some people get bloat because the foods they are eating are too rough and it is irritating the intestinal lining and frequently the ileocecal valve. If this turn out to be the case it is wise to reduce aggresive fibre for a while to let things calm down and then slowly increase it once more. Celery is an example of a real problem food for this, as is wheat bran (one of the worst).
12: Grains are very often causitive with both bloat and IBS. It is often helpful to eat no grains of any kind (whole, flour, sprouted) for a week or so and see what happens. Wheat is usually the worst. If things clear up with no grains then slowly introduce them back in one at a time and see what happens. Start with sprouted ones first as they are least likely to be the culprits.
13: There are many ways to alleviate IBS. Some work for a short while and others (the more extensive that involve significant lifestyle changes) can pretty much get rid of it. One other product that has worked well for many people with serious intestinal problems is Molo-cure ($$$).

Good luck in letting off gas and realizing a happy tummy.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

All of the above is simply observations of what has worked for some people. It is not meant as medical advice and you are advised to work with your medical practitioner as you explore what is right for you and your situation.

pB0t
06-21-2003, 07:54 PM
I actually find I have less digestive problems than when I was omni. Felt gassy for a couple months after going veg but it went away.