PDA

View Full Version : Buying/ Adopting an animal?

Moo2u
05-20-2003, 10:51 AM
I have been very lonely since my dog died. I originally had a cat (who died-she was outdoor and after 7 years left one day and never came home) my yorkie rye (who died after being attacked by a sherpard) and a beagle Whiskey. I love my remaining dog Whiskey but i was so used to having more than one animal I neve realized how much light they bring to the family. I originally wanted to get a rabbit however I amm not thinking it is very possible with Whiskey the hunting dog an my mothers contempt for rodents and we are definatley not ready for another dog so soon after rye but what we could take care of is a kitten. I need your help to let me know..buying a kitten? shelter? which one of those? advice?

Thanks

iamtheqbu
05-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Absolutely adopt! There are so many animals that need loving homes out there, and buying an animal only encourages people to breed more animals, which adds to the problem. When you adopt from a shelter the money you pay goes towards food and such for the other animals, so you end up helping more than one animal in the process. It's a win-win situation, adoption all the way!

Beanqueen
05-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Please don't ever buy an animal from a breeder or pet shop. There are so many animals languishing in shelters and so many are put to sleep. Please adopt. And I know kittens are cute but think about an older cat. Everybody likes kittens, it's the older ones people don't want.

Vegit-8
05-20-2003, 11:00 AM
I am sorry about your losses. :(
As for getting a kitten, there are cat rescue organizations and shelters just about everywhere and they are always looking for good homes for kittens and cats. That would be my choice.
I would do nothing to support an industry that purposefully produces more cats when there are already far too many without good homes.
Good luck in finding the right feline homemate. :)

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

misanthropy
05-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Adopt! Adopt! Adopt!

Of course kittens are fun, but adult cats are great too. :)

herbi
05-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Well, they all beat me to it! :) I would definitely advise you to ADOPT a cat. Kittens in pet stores are the result of irresponsible people who allow their unspayed cats to breed and breed (we've actually had people call and ask if we would PAY them for their litters of kittens, and when we say NO, they say, "Oh well, we'll just sell them to the pet store in the mall!" GRRR!!!) and they're notoriously unhealthy because they are often not well taken care of. Animal shelters and rescue organization have many wonderful cats of all ages shapes sizes colors and temperaments! You would be saving a life and, as someone said, the fees you pay will be used to help save more lives in the future. Adoption rules!!! :D Good luck finding that special kitty to share your home...

San
05-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Definately adopt! You could also become a foster mom for a cat shelter. Many shelters foster pregnant kitties or mom's with young babies into homes until they're old enough to be placed. I've done that with four different mom and baby sets, and it was a rewarding experience! It's also a great way to always have kittens around while clearing up shelter space for more cats, which helps more cats in the long run! I even adopted one of the mom cats. Her name is Vivian and she's awesome.

downwithapathy
05-20-2003, 06:26 PM
It's all been said, but for additional encouragement...
I think you should most definitely adopt from a shelter (I also suggest choosing an adult cat). :)

I've never adopted a cat myself, but my dogs are shelter mutts and absolutely wonderful, gorgeous, (now) happy, healthy, brilliant, etc. :) :) :)

jenzie
05-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Another voice in the chorus: ADOPT!!!

I cannot say enough about the benefits of adopting!! I have five AMAZING dogs, all adopted from either a shelter or rescue organization. Adoption is not only rewarding for you and of course the adopted, but also for the millions of other animals who gain a chance at having a new home when you open up space for them by adopting. :D

Buying a cat or dog is unnecessary, and greatly contributes to animal suffering. (The very thing that we as vegans strive to eliminate! :))

And as many others mentioned... you may also wish to consider a mature cat. It would save you a few bucks in 'kitten damage control' department, I'm sure. ;)

San
05-21-2003, 09:51 AM
After fostering four batches of kittens, I've concluded kittens are cute and fun but I'm always going to adopt adult cats. But there are kittens who need homes, too, and I don't think that it's bad to adopt one, as long as you realise that it's easier to place kittens than adults.

Sacredlrose
05-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Again older cats are great! I can't remember how many times people have called or came into our shelter looking for kittens and when we told them we didn't have any they just left! I mean we have about 30 to 40 wonderful cats and all they didn't even look! Also you might want to ask which/what cat(s) have been there the longest. They are usually wonderful and free of problems they just have taken awhile to find that special some one. Well that's enough repetion.

Good Luck!!!

Moo2u
05-22-2003, 02:13 PM
The reason i want a kitten is because i like to raise them, like my baby, ya know? But if i saw a cat and just clicked then i would get that one. Well actually I click with any animal..

VeganMegan
08-17-2003, 12:01 PM
I hope you opted for an older cat. Especially since you don't have pets there are many cats and other animals that really need homes who must be the only animal in the house.

If you have the ability to give an animal a home I hope you'll choose one of the more needy animals in your area.

San
08-17-2003, 05:31 PM
If you want to raise a kitten, I suggest finding a shelter and fostering a pregnant momcat in your home. I found it to be a very wonderful and rewarding experience. I always had kittens around and it was enjoyable watching them from day one until they were weaned and ready to find homes. It's a great way to have kittens around while helping reduce pet over population rather than increasing it.

QrkyMoon
08-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by herbi
(we've actually had people call and ask if we would PAY them for their litters of kittens, and when we say NO, they say, "Oh well, we'll just sell them to the pet store in the mall!" GRRR!!!)

I would have ppl call the rabbit sanctuary I worked at after Easter wanting to DONATE their pet rabbits to us... gee! Thanks! :bomb: