PDA

View Full Version : what are you reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

beka
02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
what book are you currently reading? what do you think of it? would you recommend it?

i am reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. I am only halfway through, and I am greatly enjoying it. I can't believe I haven't read this already. (so many books to read!) Basically, the animals kick out the abusive farmer and take over. I would definitely recommend it. (as well as 1984 , by the same author)

VeganMegan
02-18-2003, 07:29 PM
That's so odd that you would mention that! I just started reading 1984 today! I also have a very long list of books to read and it just keeps growing. I can't keep up with them all!

VeganKen
02-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Animal Farm sounds really interesting. I'll have to check it out!

I am currently reading Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway and Man's Eternal Quest by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Permaculture is a style of gardening that helps to foster a balance of wildlife, flowers, edible plants, and vegetable gardens into a kind of self-renewing (e.g. nothing goes to waste) place that works with nature to do the work. Like an organic ecosystem. I have a small yard so it will be a very teeny tiny ecosystem. :) I have been so excited about the different forms of insects and animals that have been visiting since I started the garden three years ago that I can't wait to invite more in. I live less than a mile from the Mississippi river so there is quite a bit of bio-diversity here - even in the city. Maybe I'll start a thread on permaculture.

The book by Paramahansa Yogananda is a collection of spiritual talks by a yogi who lived during the first half of the 20th century. I'm finding it inspirational.

I'm also got several issues of The Economist that I haven't gotten to yet. It's rather conservative and I disagree with some of what they say. But the articles are well written and it has much better coverage on world news than I've found in most American magazines.

saintfrancis
02-19-2003, 12:13 AM
i am reading wheels of life by anodea judith and evasion released by the crimethinc collective. i highly recommend both.

purplemackerel
02-19-2003, 03:23 AM
I"m reading "Women on the Buddhist Path" by Martine Batchelor. It's a very inspiring and enjoyable read. For college I'm readng "Each Peach, Pear, Plum" :laugh:

beka
02-19-2003, 03:24 AM
evasion! wow! that's a pretty amazing book. i highly recommend it as well. the travel stories of an adventurous vegan kid.

penfold
02-19-2003, 03:48 AM
hi beka!! :D

i'm reading 'an introduction to crop physiology' :help:

re permaculture thread -> ooooh! yes please!

mykool
02-19-2003, 06:56 AM
I'm currently reading 'Beyond Sanity and Madness' by Genpo Dennis Merzel, and I've been reading intermittently the Demon Lover by Robin Morgan. The first is about Zen Buddhism, and the second is a feminist analysis on terrorism. Pretty good reading, both of them.

VeganKen
02-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by penfold
re permaculture thread -> ooooh! yes please!

The thread can be found here (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127) :D

Delirium76
02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Right now I'm reading

"Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847 : Prelude to Hatred" By Thomas Gallagher

It's about the Irish Potato Famine and its effect on the Irish people. The prejudices faced by Irish people by the british government and by Americans during the Irish diaspora to America. It's also speaks of the continuing oppression of the Irish people.

A very good, eye opening read.

herbi
02-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Gosh, doesn't anyone here read fiction??? ;) You guys put me to shame-- I just recovered a box of "Classics" from my folks' house and am re-reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick, the novel upon which the movie "Blade Runner" was based. :p

Delirium76
02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
lol, I just picked up Blade Runner.

It's on my list of books I can't believe I haven't read yet. Next up, Neuromancer. :yes:

Rosemary
02-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I just finished So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane. I was hoping it would satisfy my Harry Potter cravings (it was recommended to me by some young HP fans) but I found it was much scarier and not nearly funny enough. It is a very well written book, but it wasn't the light escape I was looking for.

Non-fiction wise, I have been researching animal experimentation in Nazi Germany. I read the aptly named Nightmare Memoir by Claude Letulle and still feel queasy when I think about some of the tortures he describes. I also skimmed Animals in the Third Reich by Boria Sax and am currently working through The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton and The Nazi War on Cancer by Robert Proctor.

spacehippy
02-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by beka
Animal Farm by George Orwell.

George Orwell is one of my favorite authors! He's done some other less famous but still good books. I'd recommend Keep the Aspidistra Flying and A Clergyman's Daughter. The first one is about a poet that tries to escape the money world by getting a dead end job as a book clerk, and the second one is about a clergyman's daughter that loses her memory and faith. They're good reads!

I think I have been reading a lot of Isaac Asimov lately, mostly from his Foundation series. They're pretty addictive, though. If I start one I have to finish it within two or three days and I can't get any schoolwork done!

VeganKen
02-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by herbi
Gosh, doesn't anyone here read fiction??? ;) You guys put me to shame--

That's only because the title of this thread is "what are you reading" and not "what video games are you playing that have become so addictive that an intervention would be welcome right about now..."

Not that I'd know anything about that. ;)

Spaceman
02-19-2003, 11:43 PM
I am currently reading The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (http://www.backyardastronomy.com/).

I am also addicted to Westlaw (http://www.westlaw.com/), even if it is work related.

redlentils
02-20-2003, 04:20 PM
reading polly toynbee's "hard work. life in low-pay britain" in which this self-confessed middle class guardian columnist moves into a council flat on a rough estate in london and tries her hand at living on the minimum wage. i like what i've read so far in that she readily admits to the artificiality of her "pretend" life (she never really experiences what it is like to live with no safety net) and yet although she has previously been quite a supporter of new labour's dream, she comes across as shocked and outraged at how we treat a large disenfranchised portion of our community, without whom (eg hospital porters, care home staff) our lives would be less comfortable. provocative reading, more so because it comes from a "safe" writer.

"toward a psychology of awakening" - john welwood. a collection of essays from a psychotherapist with a background in tibetan buddhism looking at the interface between east and western approaches to the mind and psyche. heavy going at times but profound in places.

purple is also having a go at me to read more fiction :) i'm off next week so i intend to read "life of pi" by yann martel which won this year's booker prize. i love magical realism and as one of the critics described him as a "more compassionate paul auster" i don't think i'll be disappointed :)

downwithapathy
02-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Popol Vuh :) Honestly. The so-called "Mayan Bible" was actually assigned to me during my poorest week of the summer semester, a time when I could not afford even the smallest of expenses. I checked the university's library multiple times and nagged my mother for quick cash but in the end, I was unable to access the book in time for the required paper's due date. Well...I did some online research and composed a quasi-acceptable paper but have felt a nagging curiosity about the 'earliest New World novel' since. About a week ago, I was wasting a bit of time in the university book store when I spotted it on a bottom shelf in the 'anthropology' section. Popol Vuh. Fifteen dollars. "Hey! I have that now!" I made the puchase, and damn it, that book is gettin' read!

jenbizagogo
02-24-2003, 12:23 PM
My friend lent me this book, and it's absolutely hilarious!! It's called "Dear Mr. Mackin" by Richard J. Mackin. He basically pokes fun at the advertising and marketing of major companies like Lever 2000, Advil, McDonalds, etc in the form of writing letters to the customer service departments!

The book is entirely composed of letters he has written to these companies and their response letters back to him. It's a really easy read and once you pick it up, it's really hard to put down!

http://www.thewhirligig.com/mackin.html

beka
02-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by jenbizagogo
My friend lent me this book, and it's absolutely hilarious!! It's called "Dear Mr. Mackin" by Richard J. Mackin.

i've seen him read letters from his book/zines before, and some of them are just soo funny!..especially the way he tells them. he's a weird guy.

jenbizagogo
02-25-2003, 01:19 AM
I would love to hear him read those letters! I can only imagine how goofy he is! :laugh:

Husky Corn Star
02-25-2003, 01:27 AM
I'm currently reading this web page ;)

beka
02-25-2003, 02:16 AM
i'm halfway through brave new world by aldous huxley. i am enjoying it, although i just might have nightmares about being decanted instead of born. and being fed happy drugs in my soy delicious ice cream. and being brainwashed while sleeping. creepy!!

spacehippy
02-27-2003, 03:25 AM
Just finished Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov, and now I'm in the middle of rereading Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. I've been wondering about my place in the universe and this book seems like a good one to read for that.

Beanqueen
02-27-2003, 11:17 AM
I am trying to read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. I don't normally do the scifi thang but I do think this book is very funny.

beka
02-27-2003, 01:19 PM
i went to the library early this morning, and read a WHOLE book! An Open Heart by the Dalai Lama. I enjoyed it, although some parts were a little too out-there for me. I am surprised I was able to concentrate for so long on two hours of sleep+coffee hyperactivity. haha. i also read a little bit of a krishna book, too. it had neat pictures. (does anyone know why krishna is usually (always?) blue?)

VeganMegan
02-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Just a thought ... We should have like the VRF book club or something. We could all read book "ABC" and start a topic about it. Or maybe a book exchange where we can pass along our books we've already read and think others might enjoy of both fiction and nonfiction.

VeganKen
02-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by VeganMegan
Just a thought ... We should have like the VRF book club or something. We could all read book "ABC" and start a topic about it. Or maybe a book exchange where we can pass along our books we've already read and think others might enjoy of both fiction and nonfiction.

Great idea! Maybe someone should start a new thread. hint hint. ;)

mudy
02-28-2003, 12:11 AM
if SOMEBODY (hint..hint) doesn't say that they're reading Walden (Thoreau) very, very soon, I'm 'a gonna have to handcuff my other arm to the playpen.

..i mean it now

:P

Vegit-8
02-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Walden...Loved it, still love it, shared it, buy second hand copies to give away.
I particularly liked the image of the squirrel moving towards the food offerings.

May peace and joy be with you....and that you notice.

veganlove02
02-28-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm slowly re-reading Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent. I'm also trying to re-read The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs.

I'm a library junkie. Got a whole bunch of books-on-tape for Brandon about Buddhism and Zen. Listened to one the other day called The Accidental Buddhist by Dinty W. Moore (really). Good book! Highly recommend it to those wanting to know more about Buddhism or others' experience with Buddhism.

Also want to read Dominion by Matthew Scully, as I heard him a couple weeks ago on NPR. Have it, now we'll see if I read it.

I read some excerpts from The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier. Wanna read more, but may have to return it before I can.

beka
02-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by mudy
if SOMEBODY (hint..hint) doesn't say that they're reading Walden (Thoreau) very, very soon, I'm 'a gonna have to handcuff my other arm to the playpen.

WEIRD. i just started reading this tonight.. i'm only a couple pages into it, though.

purplemackerel
02-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by veganlove02
The Accidental Buddhist by Dinty W. Moore (really). Good book! Highly recommend it to those wanting to know more about Buddhism or others' experience with Buddhism.
[/B]
I really enjoyed the Accidental Buddhist, it was probably one of the first books I read on Buddhism and it made me want to find out more. :)

redlentils
02-28-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by mudy

i finally picked up a copy of walden this weekend! it is extensively quoted in "mindfulness meditation" by jon kabat-zinn. look forward to reading it :)

purplemackerel
02-28-2003, 07:05 AM
'Autograph Man' by Zadie Smith
It's not as good as the brilliant 'White Teeth', but well worth a read. I love her style of writing.

3pinjim
02-28-2003, 04:58 PM
strange that you should bring that up mudy - it just so happens that i'm reading walden right now .
also reading an open heart too & waiting in the wings are no logo & the return of the king - but i have till november to finish that one
;)

jamie

mudy
02-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 3pinjim
strange that you should bring that up mudy - it just so happens that i'm reading walden right now .

:loveyou: ALL for responding to my little hint!!! you have fantastic taste xoxoxo!!
(but i was actually trying to see if my recommendation to 3pinjim was taken)

jenbizagogo
02-28-2003, 05:34 PM
hey 3pinjim-

What a co-inky dink!!! I am currently reading Return of the King, and I just bought No Logo and that is my next book to read!!!!

Great minds think alike :D

P.S. Are you Lord of the Rings obsessed, too???;)

purplemackerel
02-28-2003, 06:53 PM
'No logo' - arghh, another book on the red/purple bookshelf I haven't read - yet :)

herbi
02-28-2003, 07:23 PM
P.S. Are you Lord of the Rings obsessed, too???;)

Can any ol' one answer that? :) "Fellowship..." has been on my Top Ten Favorite Books list as long as I can remember, have read the trilogy (& Hobbit) over and over and over, of course had to do refreshers with each movie...

BTW, finished "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," and I gotta say I highly recommend it to any of you with a scifi bent. I knew it was unlike the movie, but I'd forgotten many things-- like how in the future, pretty much everyone is vegan and has a fanatical desire to care for an animal because there are so few of them left. People who aren't horrified by the concept of meat, leather, etc are considered either deranged or potential androids..... neat! Think I'll try that! (Though I may get some odd looks accusing people of being androids. Though now that I think about it, I already do that a lot. Get odd looks. And accuse people of being androids. :confused: )

jenbizagogo
02-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Yay! Another Lord of The Rings fan :D
Have you read the parody, Bored of the Rings by Harvard Lampoon?

shade
02-28-2003, 11:25 PM
I am currently in the middle of two books (I like to confuse myself like that).

I am reading Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow. It's basically about betrayal and murder. I am a forensics junkie so I love it. If anyone else is interested in forensics they might like it as well.

I am also reading Toxic Psychiatry by Peter R. Breggin. The title basically explains the book. It is more informational than a story-line of any sorts. I would only recommend it if anyone here happens to share my weird interests in things such as psychological disorders and the downfalls to the drugs and "treatment" that they push on people who have these disorders. It is an insanely long book so I keep on picking it up then leaving it for a bit, reading it a bit more, setting it down for a couple weeks, etc.

herbi
03-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Yay! Another Lord of The Rings fan :D
Have you read the parody, Bored of the Rings by Harper Lampoon?

No, but I've seen the episode where they parody LotR on South Park! :) I will have to look out for that. "Bored of the Rings." Hee hee!

(Should we start a thread about how pissed off we respectively were at the wanton disregard for Faramir's character that was displayed by the makers of the Two Towers movie? Or should we just let it drop as too painful a subject to discuss?)

jenbizagogo
03-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Oh man...i gotta see that episode of South Park that you talk about!!!

And yes, I totally agree with you about Faramir! I was also bummed that there wasn't more time spent with the Ents (i luv them)!!!! Feel free to PM if you wanna geek out about LOTR! :D

purplemackerel
03-03-2003, 03:38 AM
The Compassionate Revolution: Radical Politics and Buddhism by David Edwards
This is uncomfortable reading, but essential if you want insight into the problems the World is facing today. In the first chapter Edwards shows how the US and UK have helped support or implement corrupt regimes in a number of countries - El Salvador, Vietnam, Chile, Guatemala to name just a few, for the benefit of the UK and US. A very poignant chapter with the current situation in Iraq.
He goes on to argue how the capitalist system is dependent on the promotion of three Buddhist 'poisons' - greed for profit at any cost to animals and humans. Hatred of foreign obstacles, and ignorance of the link between the Western corporations and Third World Dictators .

Leanan
03-06-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm addicted to all things Anne Rice, so I'm eternally reading her books. Right now, I'm on Memnoch the Devil, again.

Also, I've been going through all of SARK's books. I need inspiration, and succulence, and she always seems to come through for me in those departments. :)

Makeetah
03-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Last night I finished reading J.D Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye for the third time.
Tonight I'm going to start reading The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer for the millionth time!!
I'm a fiction junkie.....anything from Jane Eyre to American Psycho (which was brilliant but so very disturbing......).

purplemackerel
03-12-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm a big fiction junkie too, and would love the next VR book club book to look at a novel. I'm reading "If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things" by Jon McGregor. A fantastic first novel, hich I would be surprised not to win awards.

Halfelf
03-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Just finished reading "The Disposessed" by Ursula Leguin.

Now I'm reading "Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains" by Sylvia Engdahl.

:)

VeganMegan
03-14-2003, 07:35 AM
I love both fiction and nonfiction but I do think I read more fiction than nonfiction. I'm into really into horror and mystery novels. However, I don't care for Stephen King too much.

Just a suggestion: maybe we could rotate the VRF book between fiction and nonfiction?

In all honesty, I now remember why I didn't read the book club book before. I've had it for a couple years and never read it. Well, I tried to start reading it again and I just can't get into it. There are some books that I start reading and I just can't put them down until I'm finished and others I just can't get into at all. Oh well.

:sunny:

jenbizagogo
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I just finished reading a book called "Lovely Bones", by Alice Sebold. It's a story of a teenage girls' murder. It's told from the murdered girls perspective as she watches how her loved ones and friends deal/cope with her death, as she watches them from her personal "heaven." It's an easy read...I liked it...I'd give it a grade "B."

karabear
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
i am reading "gravity's rainbow" by thomas pynchon, "asa, as i knew him" by susanna kaysen, and "islandia" by austin tappan wright. i also just finished "the bell jar" by sylvia plath a couple of days ago (everybody i know has been telling me to read that book for years). i wish i could just concentrate on one book! i always start reading one and then i see another i want and another...

oh, and am i the *only* one who thinks walden pond is boring? c'mon, thoreau was a big faker! he didn't really live in solitude; he walked to town every day and had parties!

redlentils
03-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by karabear

oh, and am i the *only* one who thinks walden pond is boring?
yes :D

EmetShamash
03-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Anodea Judith's Wheels of Life is an absolutely amazing book on chakras and has been one of the most instrumental books in helping me grow up. To learn a little more about this or similar subjects go to Sacred Centers (http://www.sacredcenters.com)
As well as The International Center for Reiki Training (http://www.reiki.org) to learn about the hands on therapy of Reiki

Namaste:loveyou:

mudy
03-15-2003, 05:30 AM
c'mon, thoreau was a big faker!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

isn't it enough that it's raining on the ski hill and i can't sleep and i have a COLD (how did this happen? i'm VEGAN!)

whyyyyyyy? WHYYYYY did you have to say that?

:cry:

Husky Corn Star
03-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Yeah , well I've had a topsy turvey week - my emotions have been everywhere

Hopefully, I've been honest to myself

Husky Corn Star
03-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Welcome to the Vegan Represent Talk Show Hour :D

purplemackerel
04-19-2003, 03:18 PM
I've been re-reading Crocodile Soup by Julia Darling. and it's just as good as the first and second time...she has a lot of time for Captain Beefheart too :). Her second novel The Taxi Driver's Daughter is published this August and I can't wait.
I was reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel, but it got a bit too graphic for me; I'm just a wuss. :rolleyes:

Emiloid
04-22-2003, 01:37 AM
I'm reading Farewell to Manzanar, a book about the Japanese American experience in WWII. It's really good--and a true story. The author, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston was about seven when her family was sent to an internment camp in CA. It's the story of their years there.

Husky Corn Star
04-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Last Words: The Final Journals of ... William S. Burroughs

prettyinpinksox
04-23-2003, 01:00 AM
i've been reading a book about jean michel basquiat's life. very very interesting stuff. i just bought a book about classic names from literature that is way too interesting to be a baby name book. i also re-bought chicken soup with rice by maurice sendak...it was my favorite book when i was a little kid. i plan on getting a tattoo of one of the illustrations very soon. :) ::giddy::

i have a whole line of books to read.. :confused:
oh, the dangers of working in a bookstore... :D

Husky Corn Star
04-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by prettyinpinksox

It must be a tough life, but someone has to do it ;)

prettyinpinksox
04-23-2003, 01:11 AM
haha! it's tough on my savings... :umm:

i have to give myself an allowance otherwise i'll spend most of my paycheck on books/music. it's really awful. i have barely anything to show for working fulltime for the past 6 months. :cry:

shade
04-23-2003, 01:26 AM
At the moment I am reading "I know my first name is Steven" by Mike Echols. I'm almost done it and it's really good. It's a true story basically about this guy's story about him getting kidnapped at age 7 and being help captive while being sexually abused for 7 years until he finally escapes with a 5 year old boy who was also kidnapped by the same man.

By tomorrow I'll probably be done and then I'm going to start reading "Daddy was the Black Dahlia Killer" by Janice Knowlton. Basically a book written from the perspective of the killer's daughter who witnessed the crimes.

purplemackerel
04-23-2003, 03:11 AM

Oh yes, I worked in children's books for about 10 years. Now I'm studying and missing the 30% staff discount...but it was lovely being surrounded by books all day at work and coming home to more books at night :bliss:

veganchick
04-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I used to have a second job working at a used bookstore. I would joke that I was only working for my discount and books. It was true!

I'm currently reading a few books. One I read cover to cover and the others I read a bit when the urge strikes.

Why Does Working @ My Computer Hurt So Much? by Perry Bonomo
12 Steps to Raw Foods by Victoria Boutenko

and a cheesy fiction selection that I'll leave unmentioned. :D Animal Farm sounds really good! It was usually on the required reading lists when I worked at the bookstore. I may have to check it out.

Emiloid
04-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Animal Farm is REALLY REALLY great! I swear, it's something everyone should read. 1984 as well....

jenbizagogo
04-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Traveling Light by Katrina Kittle

A friend recommended this book to me, and I'm about 1/3 of the way done, and I'm really enjoying it.
Here's the description from the back cover:

Everything seems to be going wrong in Summer's life. A dancer turned schoolteacher, she's still recovering from the injury that ended her promising life in the arts. Her lover, Nicholas fears she's depending on him to fulfill the remnants of her hopes and dreams. Most ominously of all, her cherished brother, Todd, is slowly dying.

In the tranquil suburbs of Ohio, Summer's days will be consumed in long hours of waiting. Watching her brother share his struggle with his male partner, Jacob, she'll witness love that transends illness, distrust, and the cruelty of time. But not until she strives to fulfill the promise to her brother exacted from her long ago will she meet her greatest challenge-and realize how truly fortunate she really is.

Halfelf
04-27-2003, 08:05 PM
I never. ever. ever. read the back/inner cover of books. EVER. Or movies. :D

I hate being spoiled. The summaries tell you like... 4/5 of the book! :o

iamtheqbu
04-27-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm reading Dominion. I'm almost finished too! I sure hope we start discussing it soon or I'm gonna forget all of it and have to read it again!

mykool
04-28-2003, 08:17 AM
I've decided to finally read great expectations.

:( It's nowhere near as good as I'd hoped (Hah! A joke! :banana: ).

No, I actually am enjoying it quite a lot. It took a bit of getting used to the writing style, but now it's pretty cool. I'm only about 5 chapters in though, but so far it's been good.

MyOwnPath
04-28-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm about half way through with a bunch of books:

Earth in the Balance----Al Gore
Our Stolen Future----Theo Colborn
Global Spin
Hormon Deception
A Sand County Almanac----Aldo Leopold
The Sea Around Us----Rachel Carson
Meeting the Expectations of the Land---Wendell Berry, Wes Jackson.

purplemackerel
04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by mykool
I've decided to finally read great expectations.

You should read David Copperfield - it's brilliant, the characters are just inspired. Definitely my desert island read.

its_a_gas
04-28-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm reading The Food Revolution by John Robbins and it's incredible. I'm really going to have to read Diet For a New America after this.

karabear
04-29-2003, 12:08 AM
i'm reading (in the middle of all of them):

guns, germs, and steel by jared diamond
nadja by andre breton
maldoror by the comte de lautreamont
the quest for dr. u by hans carl artmann

guns, germs, and steel is really interesting. it's about the hows and whys of white europeans being able to "conquer" almost everybody else on earth (written by someone who thinks white europeans are stupider and physically weaker than native peoples--yay! so true). but it's also kind of annoying because he's one of those people that writes in what i like to call the "spoon-feeding" style. he reiterates everything so that even the dumbest person can understand his point. gets a little boring for people who can understand his point without the repetition. :D

Emiloid
05-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Karabear (and anyone else): you should read "The Third Chimpanzee", also by Jared Diamond. It's a faster read, not so repetitive, and quite engaging. He makes the argument that humans are so closely related to chimps that we should be in the same genus. Of course, there's a lot more to the book... for example, he explains from a biologist's POV why people smoke and do other self-destructive things, etc. That's all I can think of off-hand. Anyway, it's a great book.

karabear
05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
i've heard of that one and was thinking of reading it too. thanks for the suggestion. :)

which reminds me, i'm trying to do research on pre-agricultural diets, but the only thing i seem to be able to find is those paleodiet people who definitely overemphasize the meat-eating. if anyone knows of any books that have actual scientific evidence about pre-agri diets, please let me know!

Moo2u
05-02-2003, 09:33 AM
I knew Krishna was blue. I am currently reading Crown Duel and The Idiots Guide To Hinduism

Emiloid
05-02-2003, 08:25 PM
i'm trying to do research on pre-agricultural diets, but the only thing i seem to be able to find is those paleodiet people who definitely overemphasize the meat-eating. if anyone knows of any books that have actual scientific evidence about pre-agri diets, please let me know!

Hi Karabear, I'd suggest a cross-reference with feminist theory. Also, try Adrienne Zihlman. She's a primatologist who was instrumental in debunking assumptions that hunting was the primary food source for early hominids. Good luck!

Husky Corn Star
05-04-2003, 06:24 AM
William S. Burroughs - 'The Place Of Dead Roads'

San
05-04-2003, 10:17 AM
DragonsEye by Anne McCaffrey. I'm a Pernie.

VeganKen
05-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by San
DragonsEye by Anne McCaffrey. I'm a Pernie.

I read all of her books when I was in school. I seem to remember a book called "Crystal Singer" of her's that I really enjoyed as well. It's more Sci Fi tho.

Choi_yew
05-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Right now I'm reading a series by RA Salvatore called, The Legacy of the Drow. I bought the collectors edition which has all 4 books in one. He's my favorite Forgotten Realms author and always good to read. But soon I'll have to read all 4 Harry Potter books to get ready for book 5 coming out soon :)

Choi

San
05-04-2003, 11:40 PM
I never really got into her other series, with the exception of Freedom and Powers That Be. I'm really into Dragonriders of Pern, though. I'm even in a couple of play-by-e-mail role-playing clubs.

jenbizagogo
05-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Choi_yew
[B]Right now I'm reading a series by RA Salvatore called, The Legacy of the Drow. /B]

When I was out last night, someone suggested to me that I try reading something by RA Salvatore. Do you have any suggestions on what a first good book to read would be? Thanks :)

jenbizagogo
05-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Post Office - Charles Bukowski ....again

misanthropy
06-07-2003, 09:55 PM
I just recently read:

The Food Revolution (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573247022/qid=1054274820/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-1254783-6243908)
Eating to Save the Earth (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587611163/qid=1054274755/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-1254783-6243908)

VeganMegan
06-07-2003, 09:59 PM
LIVE THE RAW LIFE by Paul Nison (http://www.rawlife.com/featured.html)

This book rocks! :D

http://www.paulnison.com/

laurieanne22
06-07-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm reading Dean Ornish's diet for heart disease reversal, the purpose driven life bye rick warren, the case for christ, a french diction book for singers, the Bible (new living translation), and Sula by Toni Morrison (the final bppl in Oprah's bookclub)

misanthropy
06-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by laurieanne22
and Sula by Toni Morrison (the final bppl in Oprah's bookclub) I loved Beloved and The Bluest Eye.

prettyinpinksox
06-07-2003, 11:40 PM
i just finished "basquiat: a quick killing in art" by phoebe hoban....and i just started "portrait of a killer: jack the ripper case closed" by patricia cornwell, as well as "witches and neighbors: the social and cultural context of european witchcraft" by robin briggs. yay for books! :)

misanthropy
06-07-2003, 11:55 PM
and i just started "portrait of a killer: jack the ripper case closed" by patricia cornwellI saw the TLC documentary on her and her search for Jack the Ripper. Absolutely fascinating! I used to read a lot of "true crime" books and serial killer novels too. Always fascinated by that stuff.

prettyinpinksox
06-08-2003, 12:14 AM
awww, i didn't get to see that!! darn! she spent sooooo much money on DNA tests for this book and stuff. it's crazy, but kinda' neat too. :)

i'm fascinated with jack the ripper..he's the only serial killer that's ever really interested me. :confused:

laurieanne22
06-08-2003, 12:49 AM
i read the bluest eye too, its great, but i didn't read that other one, is it good?

lotus_blue
06-08-2003, 01:49 PM
laurieanne, I think ANYTHING by Toni Morrison is amazing. She's one of my favorite writers. "Beloved" and "Song of Solomon" are my faves. "Beloved" is a tough read, but so incredibly powerful. Definitely worth it.

misanthropy
06-08-2003, 03:52 PM
awww, i didn't get to see that!! darn! she spent sooooo much money on DNA tests for this book and stuff. it's crazy, but kinda' neat too. :)Yeah! She spent millions! But her theories totally make sense. They really do!

i'm fascinated with jack the ripper..he's the only serial killer that's ever really interested me. :confused: If you purchase the "From Hell" movie DVD, there's TONS of information in a self-contained documentary on Jack the Ripper.

misanthropy
06-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by laurieanne22
i read the bluest eye too, its great, but i didn't read that other one, is it good? Beloved is simply amazing. It has such a tragic but beautiful ethereal tone to it. It's a must-read. And once you finish reading it, rent the movie. :)

lotus_blue
06-08-2003, 04:08 PM
I couldn't agree more, misanthropy! The movie version of "Beloved" is one of the few films to truly capture the beauty of the original on which it is based.

misanthropy
06-08-2003, 04:34 PM
It was such a beautiful film and Thandie Newton was brilliant in it. Totally perfect choice.

jenbizagogo
06-17-2003, 03:42 PM
The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

VeganUU
06-17-2003, 05:01 PM
"Beloved" is my favorite book! I LOVE Toni Morrison. It's pretty intense. I had the privilege of taking a class in which we read "Beloved", and I learned so much more about it (stuff I never would have figured out on my own). The film was also amazing, I agree. My other favorite authors are Barbara Kingsolver and Tom Robbins.

Right now I'm reading "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer. Much of its content is horrendous and tragic, of course, but I think it's fascinating. I'd say it's a must read for every vegan.

Husky Corn Star
06-19-2003, 06:22 AM
The New Fiction - Collection of Aotearoa New Zealand Short 'Stories'

The blurb at the back says ...

'The New Fiction is a collection of short 'stories' with a difference - unconventional, challenging, original, bold - containing surreal tales, fabulist creations, factions, dis-locations, hallucinations, apocalyptic visions, linguist delights, postmodernists explorations.'

I couldn't agree more ...
as Aotearoa NZ certainly has some excellent cunning linguists ::innocent:: :p

AdiaStar
06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
A few:
1- Everything You Know Is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies by Russ Kick. Just started this one and it's VERY interesting.

2- Why girls are weird: A Novel by Pamela Ribon. This had me laughing so much!

3- Getting ready to start Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, for some reason I never read this in High School, so I'm catching up.

4- I have a pile of books in my room to read that I can't think of right now.

Enjoy your reading!

AdiaStar

lotus_blue
06-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Right now I'm reading "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!" by Fannie Flagg. I loved "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" (also by Fannie), and this one is pretty good as well. Very warm and funny.

AdiaStar
06-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Well, I just got a new book that just has to be read before the other ones on my list. I'm very excited! The new Harry Potter!!
Gonna get started in a few minutes. I love them and so hooked!
And no...I didn't wait online at midnight to buy it. I came across it unexpectedly... ;) So i'm not that much of a freak! :D

purplemackerel
06-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Re-Reading Harry Potter by Suman Gupta - a look at the social and political implications of the Harry Potter phenomenon
and of course
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm trying to not read it too quickly in case it's another 3 years before the next book...

San
06-25-2003, 10:30 AM
I'm working on reading the Fearless series (young adult/teen is my favorite genre) and rereading my favorite books, the Dragonriders of Pern, but I'm currently taking a break to read the latest Harry Potter.

its_a_gas
06-26-2003, 02:10 PM
"The Fermata" by Nicholson Baker.

A little on the sexually perverted side, but an interesting, entertaining read. I have to give a man credit who can write about vibrators as much as Nicholson Baker does.

jenbizagogo
06-26-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm reading "Dead Run" by Erica Spindler...it's a mystery/thriller type novel...my mom insisted that I read it....it's her favorite author, and since I made her read "Mad Cowboy" she insists I read something she likes...Fair trade, I guess! :) I'm only about 100 pages in, but so far so good.

Rosemary
06-26-2003, 02:28 PM
A nine-year-old friend of mine convinced me to do the midnight madness thing for the lastest Harry Potter book. We got to the bookstore at 10:30 and to my surprise were the first in line! I finished the book at about 1:30 am Sunday morning.

I guess it will be at least 3 years until JKR does the next one, especially since her son was born this spring. I'll be getting my HP fix by rerererereading, and theorizing at http://hogwartsnews.com/ (HP message boards--my userid over there is Rowena Lupin).

lotus_blue
06-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Right now I'm reading "Douglass' Women" by Jewell Parker Rhodes. It's a fictionalized account of the two women in abolitionist Frederick Douglass' life: his wife, Anna Murray, a free woman of color, and his mistress, Ottilie Assing, a German beauty. It's told from the point of view of each woman. A very interesting read.

Husky Corn Star
06-26-2003, 09:41 PM
This particular website page :brood:

Emiloid
06-27-2003, 02:22 AM
I just started "Reefer Madness" by Eric Schlosser (of "Fast Food Nation" fame). It's great--all about the US black market and its social and economic effects. You should read it, too! ;)

Husky Corn Star
06-27-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Emiloid
I just started "Reefer Madness" by Eric Schlosser (of "Fast Food Nation" fame). It's great--all about the US black market and its social and economic effects. You should read it, too! ;)

I'll trade you some 'stuff' in tinfoil for the book when you're finished it ;)

Emiloid
06-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
I'll trade you some 'stuff' in tinfoil for the book when you're finished it ;)

Nice offer, but I think the librarian would be pissed.:p

fayking
06-27-2003, 06:23 PM
just finished the new harry potter...like a lot of peeps

and i am now re-reading 'stupid white men' as ive just seen 'bowling for columbine' and was so moved by it i had to find some thing by michael moore!!

its_a_gas
06-27-2003, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by fayking
and i am now re-reading 'stupid white men' as ive just seen 'bowling for columbine' and was so moved by it i had to find some thing by michael moore!!

Ooh! That's actually the next book on my reading list. You'll have to let me know how it is!

shedonteatmeat
06-27-2003, 10:54 PM
I just finished reading "A scientist in the crib" ---a book about how children learn. It was really interesting! :)

Husky Corn Star
06-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Jean-Paul Sartre - 'Nausea'

Husky Corn Star
07-07-2003, 01:28 AM
just finished:

Jean-Paul Sartre - "Nausea'

just started:

Dostoyevsky - 'The Brothers Karamazov'

Dandelion
07-07-2003, 01:37 AM
The Green Goat
;)

Emiloid
07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
How's the Harry Potter book?

I'm now reading "Pest Control" by Bill Fitzhugh. It is about an exterminator trying to get a new all-natural extermination process into the market, but he gets mistaken for an international hit man.... It's really funny. :)

I also just finished "Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World", by Greg Crister. It discusses the social and political reasons for the obesity/overweight crisis in the US.

jenbizagogo
07-07-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm re-reading "Free The Animals" by Ingrid Newkirk

magick nuts
07-07-2003, 03:54 PM
im reading "The wizard of Earthsea Trilogy" by Ursula Le Guin

nothing like a good dose of makebelieve to get you through the day!!!! :)

Beanqueen
07-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by its_a_gas
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by fayking

Ooh! That's actually the next book on my reading list. You'll have to let me know how it is!

I am also reading Stupid White Men and thoroughly enjoying it, if feeling a little (a lot) dismayed by it all. In know we live in a corrupt sh1tty world but what some people get away with and get paid to get away with is unbelievable. And what's more scarey as someone from the UK is that our corrupt lying scimbag of a PM appears to want to make us the next US state. Nothing against anyone american other then dubya and his cronies but sheesh!

spacehippy
07-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Two things right now. Optical interferometry in astronomy and The Idiot by Dostoevsky. Interestingly enough, the former appears to be lighter reading.

VeganMegan
07-11-2003, 08:32 AM
I'm reading That's Mr. Faggot To You by Michael Thomas Ford (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1555834965/qid=1057926365/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5917184-3473628?v=glance&s=books)

It's a pretty groovy book. It's entertaining and a very quick read. I just started it yesterday and I'm almost finished. Oh and it's nothing to do with veganism.

lotus_blue
07-11-2003, 03:39 PM
VeganMegan, I love Michael Thomas Ford's books. So light and funny.

Right now I'm reading "Out of Africa" with much passion.

downwithapathy
07-16-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm currently somewhere in "Avoiding Armageddon" by Martin Schram, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (my first Harry Potter reading experience--my best friend's pissed off that I didn't begin w/ book 1)", and whatever that bad fantasy novel that I began last weekend (visiting home)'s called.
...and I just finished "Privilege, Power, and the Difference" by Allan G. Johnson.

Oh...and "Stupid White Men" is a great book. :thumbsup:

its_a_gas
07-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Beanqueen
I am also reading Stupid White Men and thoroughly enjoying it, if feeling a little (a lot) dismayed by it all. In know we live in a corrupt sh1tty world but what some people get away with and get paid to get away with is unbelievable. And what's more scarey as someone from the UK is that our corrupt lying scimbag of a PM appears to want to make us the next US state. Nothing against anyone american other then dubya and his cronies but sheesh!

Hey, I'm reading Stupid White Men right now! While I am also thoroughly enjoying it, I'm finding it depressing as hell, because it's so right on. :(

Homer J.
07-18-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm reading the Tao of Physics. It's an attempt to link Eastern mysticism and philosophies to quantum physics and the relativity theory.
So far, I think the connections the author's trying to draw are a bunch of BS, but I'm learning a lot about Hindu, Buddhist and Chinese philosophies.

mudy
07-21-2003, 08:49 PM
finishing up Naomi Klein's Fences and Windows
*2thumbsup*

also reading Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West by John R. Saul
and Salman Rushdie's Step Across This Line

oh, and a pocket-sized book called Zen Flesh, Zen Bones ;D

pB0t
07-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. I'm almost done, and if anything in it surprised me it was the exploitation of meat factory workers. It turns out I'm not just boycotting animal cruelty, but human cruelty as well.

jenbizagogo
07-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land- Robert A. Heinlein

dropscone
07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
I've just finished City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende - it's wonderful.

I'm surprised it's classified as a children's book, I only realised when I was reading reviews of it.

Makeetah
07-27-2003, 05:30 AM
I'm reading "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

jenzie
07-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Makeetah
I'm reading "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

Me too! :)

Jen
08-01-2003, 09:22 PM
"The Power of Myth" - Joseph Campbell

and night as I fall asleep, I'm rereading the entire Harry Potter series :D

vegedobe
08-03-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm currently reading Philip Yancey's "Disappointment With God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud"

The three questions from the title are: Is God Unfair? Is God Silent? and Is God Hidden? The book also covers other disappointment-related questions like: Does God really care? If so, why doesn't He reach down and fix things that go wrong? If God desires our love, why does He sometimes put obstacles in our way? and What can we expect from Him after all?

I really like how the author not only helps find answers to the above questions, but also helps readers to better understand God's nature.

TomJ
08-03-2003, 06:14 PM
I just finished "I know why the caged bird sings" but Maya Angelou - it's quite amazing.

Now I'm reading a Miles Davis biography called "'Round about Midnight". Quite compelling.

Tom

carnelian
08-06-2003, 09:25 PM
The Fortunate Pilgrim by Mario Puzo

beka
08-08-2003, 02:51 PM
THE PLAGUE

dviolet
08-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by purplemackerel
[b]Re-Reading Harry Potter by Suman Gupta - a look at the social and political implications of the Harry Potter phenomenon

Oooh, I never heard of this book! I think I need to get my hands on a copy. I love social and media criticism books. Plus, I love Harry Potter! :heart:

I'm currently reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's one of those books I meant to read a while ago and saw it in a used book store recently. It's ok. It's about the history of philosophy. Some parts are dry and textbooky, some are fascinating. It's not holding my attention like Order of the Phoenix did (last book I read)! That J.K. Rowling can really spoil you on reading other authors.

Next I'm going to read Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton. I'm excited about that one, so trying to get through Sophie's World quickly.

Husky Corn Star
08-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Franz Kafka - 'The Complete Stories'

jenbizagogo
08-09-2003, 07:20 PM
The War On Our Freedoms-Civil Liberties In An Age Of Terrorism
edited by Richard C. Leone and Greg Anrig Jr.

jenzie
08-10-2003, 04:45 AM
'The Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club' by Laurie Notaro

Skert
08-10-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm reading 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser.

Quite an eye-opener!

VeganKen
08-23-2003, 07:36 PM
"What Should I Do with My Life? - The true story of people who answered the ultimate question", by Po Bronson.

Emiloid
08-23-2003, 08:51 PM
"All Things Wise and Wonderful" by James Herriot. I just love him. :)

pB0t
08-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Frank Herbert - Dune

VeganKen
08-23-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by pB0t
Frank Herbert - Dune

Excellent book. The movie version with Sting is still the best. Even if it's not true to the book. :p

its_a_gas
08-26-2003, 10:31 AM
I'm currently reading a book of short stories titled "Things You Should Know". It's by my absolute favorite author, AM Homes.

jenzie
08-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Right now I'm reading Garrison Keillor 's Lake Wobegone Summer 1956.

In other news...

I'm looking for a few, preferably humorous, books to take with me (and read on the plane) on my upcoming trips to Seattle and Chicago. Any suggestions??

Emiloid
08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jenzie
...I'm looking for a few, preferably humorous, books to take with me (and read on the plane) on my upcoming trips to Seattle and Chicago. Any suggestions??

Pest Control by Bill Fitzhugh. I'm recommending it to all my friends. It's laugh out-loud funny. Plus, you get to learn some interesting facts about insects. Read about it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380788683/qid=1062008697/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-0493549-0308744).

If you want something more substantial, and you haven't already read it: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Awsome!

its_a_gas
12-24-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm currently reading "Affluenza" by John DeGraaf, David Wann, and Thomas H. Naylor.

It's excellent, but pretty frightening - especially reading it at this time of year.

Has anyone else read this one?

Halfelf
12-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Harry Dresden Files book 5: Death Masks

\m/

pB0t
12-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Halfelf
12-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand ....ugh, Ayn Rand :skull:

;)

Rosemary
12-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I just finished reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (thanks James!)

Although she says she doesn't want the book interpreted as anti-science, it describes a frighteningly plausible future of biotech run amok...

http://oryxandcrake.com/

JasonSt
12-24-2003, 06:26 PM
The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz. Actually, I just picked it up. But here's hoping it is good. Anybody else read it?

Oatmeal Girl
12-24-2003, 07:03 PM
The Sexual Politics of Meat.

spacehippy
12-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Oatmeal Girl
The Sexual Politics of Meat.
I got to meet Carol Adams when she came to give a slideshow in Madison a month or so ago. We took her out to dinner beforehand, and she is an insanely nice person!

pB0t
12-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Halfelf
....ugh, Ayn Rand :skull:

;)

Ha, yeah considering how many lefties there are on this forum I knew that would get a reaction. :)

Husky Corn Star
12-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Ha, yeah considering how many lefties there are on this forum I knew that would get a reaction. :)

Excuse me !!!, but I'm right handed ;)

Emiloid
12-27-2003, 09:38 PM
"The Overspent American."
I also just read "Smart Rats". I love banned books....

VeganKen
12-28-2003, 12:38 AM
I finally finished "What Should I Do with My Life", by Po Bronson. Took me almost six months! :o (In my own defense I've got about six books going at the moment.) The stories are interesting in the book and take a while to digest.

jenzie
12-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Tonight I just finished reading "Introduction to Animal Rights, Your Child or the Dog?" by Gary L. Francione (on loan from Em! :)).

I started and finished reading this book in one sitting. (Okay, I did get up to stretch once, and another time for an apple. :p) But seriously, it is that good! I've already ordered my copy form Amazon because I can't wait to read it again, and I know that after this rave review, it's very likely that Em will want her copy back! ;)

If you haven't already, check it out! :thumbsup:

Emiloid
12-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by jenzie
Tonight I just finished reading "Introduction to Animal Rights, Your Child or the Dog?" by Gary L. Francione (on loan from Em! :)).

...after this rave review, it's very likely that Em will want her copy back! ;)

I sure do! Glad you read it. Finally.... :rolleyes:

dropscone
12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I just read books one and two of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (both today). Shame there's so much eating of raw seal blubber in there, otherwise it's a very good read. And there does seem to be an enviromental message in there somewhere. Beats the Harry Potter books by miles.

jenzie
12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I sure do! Glad you read it. Finally.... :rolleyes:

I know, right? Hee. ;) :laugh:

jenzie
12-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by dropscone
I just read books one and two of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (both today). Shame there's so much eating of raw seal blubber in there, otherwise it's a very good read. And there does seem to be an enviromental message in there somewhere. Beats the Harry Potter books by miles.

Beats Harry Potter huh? Wow! Sounds impressive, I may have to check 'em out! :)

jenzie
01-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Currently reading: "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz

I :heart: Koontz! ;)

misanthropy
01-05-2004, 04:38 AM
I almost finished reading The Jungle (http://www.boondocksnet.com/editions/jungle) by Upton Sinclair but I left my printed copy at my friend's house in Montreal when I was visiting a couple of weeks ago. :(

VeganKen
01-05-2004, 09:00 AM
I am finally getting around to reading Howard Lyman's "Mad Cowboy". Scary stuff! :o

dviolet
01-05-2004, 12:30 PM
I am also reading Mad Cowboy between other books. I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha, which was very good. I had been meaning to read it for years. I will probably start Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton this week.

pB0t
01-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by VeganKen
I am finally getting around to reading Howard Lyman's "Mad Cowboy". Scary stuff! :o

Good book, I have an autographed copy! 1337

edenbak
01-10-2004, 08:17 PM
I am reading Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy! I'm only about a quarter through, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been told Jude is on of the most tragic characters in all of literature. I feel sorry for him already.

Yeah, I thought I would start off the new year with some uplifting literature.:D

Dandelion
01-10-2004, 10:00 PM
i have 3 autographed!
U|o3r-1337
:D
He's here in town so much that i've memorized his talks!
That book made me vegan after i was vegan.
It's the one book i hand out to people when i think they're open to making a change.

Good book, I have an autographed copy! 1337

Emiloid
01-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I just started "Huck Finning the Amazon" by Arthur Post, my grandpa! It's a great book so far--all about his adventures mapping the Amazon in the 1930's. I have to admit it's pretty weird to be reading the whole story after hearing snippets over the years.

its_a_gas
01-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Finally cracked open "Dominion" this morning. I've been wanting to read this one for quite some time.

Dandelion
01-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Oo oo!
i wanna read that so badly too...my queue is way stacked tho!

Originally posted by its_a_gas
Finally cracked open "Dominion" this morning. I've been wanting to read this one for quite some time.

Husky Corn Star
01-13-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm currently reading the page of this thread ;)

Spaceman
01-13-2004, 09:12 AM
'The Elementary Particles'* by Michel Houellebecq.

*Atomique for those of you in England.

dviolet
01-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm reading Seeds of Deception about genetically modified foods. It's a great read. Kinda like Fast Food Nation for the biotech industry. I would really recommend it.

I am trying to do a boycott of GMOs, and since they aren't labeled, that means only buying ingredients that are organic of those that could be GMOs - soy, corn, canola, tomatoes, potatoes, milk (n/a)... better for me anyway. 70% of processed foods now have GMO ingredients in them. Scary! They are supposed to release a GMO wheat soon, which would make it almost impossible to avoid them unless you eat all organic processed foods.

VeganKen
01-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Frida, by Barbara Mujica. It's a fictional history of the life of the artist Frida Kahlo told from the viewpoint of her younger sister.

LittleHottie
02-02-2004, 01:50 AM
I am currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

JasonSt
02-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by LittleHottie
I am currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

Cool! Excellent book! I'm reading a travellers history of Ireland, along with about a half-dozen travel guides on Ireland for my trip in March.

Emiloid
02-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JasonSt
Cool! Excellent book! I'm reading a travellers history of Ireland, along with about a half-dozen travel guides on Ireland for my trip in March.

Wow! That sounds great! Lucky you..... :cool:

I'm re-reading some old anthro texts (the fun kind, not overly academic): "Rubbish! What our Garbage Tells us About Ourselves" by my favorite archaeologist, William Rathje, and "Primate Evolution", a huge collection of short articles about, well, primate evolution.

I also have the "Vegan Sourcebook" and a magazine or two handy.

LittleHottie
02-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by JasonSt

I love Chuck Palahniuk last book I read of his was Choke. Another awesome book!

You are so lucky to be going to Ireland. I have always wanted to go there , to Derry and Cork, where I have relatives I have never met. Ofcourse I would love to go to Dublin:)

JasonSt
02-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it should be a great trip!

VeganKen
02-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Lairs Who Tell Them - A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right.

Which is much funnier and a lot less bitter than I thought it would be. Horrifying none the less.

ohbugs
02-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Lies is a great book, VeganKen. I'd also recommend Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins.

I just finished reading all nine trade paperbacks of The Preacher. Phenomenal. Now I'm on to Naked Lunch.

VeganKen
02-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ohbugs
Lies is a great book, VeganKen. I'd also recommend Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins.

I just finished reading all nine trade paperbacks of The Preacher. Phenomenal. Now I'm on to Naked Lunch.

A friend bought Bushwhacked at the same time. We are going to switch when we're both finished! :)

beautifulconfusion
03-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Steinbeck - Pastures of Heaven. He's just amazing. Most people only know him through Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men but he has so many great books.

herbi
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
entering the homestretch of the big fat
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
Good stuff! I liked his previous Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, but even though this is more contemporary/historical fiction and not really sci-fi (in other words, a change of pace for me :)) I think it's his best to date.

dropscone
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Aaah, I love Steinbeck. Cannery Row is tops.

And Stephenson. I love him too! All his books have recurring themes, but are quite different too. I think I marginally preferred Snowcrash, but enjoyed Diamond Age, and Zodiac, and I liked Cryptonomicon though it took me a lot longer than I normally take to read books. In The Beginning Was the Comand Line also excellent, and short :)

I've just finished reading Boiling a Frog by Christopher Brookmyre. It's a detective kind of novel which isn't normally my cup of tea at all, but this was very entertaining, with good Scottish dialogue. Possibly it would be a good idea to read from the beginning of the series, as I think this was probably about the 4th or 5th of a set of stories.

Emiloid
03-09-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm reading Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. It's about two sisters' survival and changing relationship after society basically collapses. I'm only half-way through it, but I'd recommend it to anyone, especially socially/environmentally-concerned folks like y'all.

beautifulconfusion
03-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by dropscone
Aaah, I love Steinbeck. Cannery Row is tops.

Yes...I hardly meet anyone who's read Cannery Row. My dream is to adapt it or The Wayward Bus or parts of Pastures... into a film. I think any of them would make great films.

veganlove02
03-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Currently reading "A Savage God" by A. Alvarez. It's basically about suicide, and starts out talking about Sylvia Plath. Before it I had read another book about suicide by Judy Collins. That was very good as well, so I thought I'd read some of the books in her bibliography.

I've known at least a couple people who've attempted suicide in the last few years, and been to the funeral of another who succeeded. Suicidology is fascinating, and reading these books helps me feel like I can maybe understand a little better. Then again, some of what it says doesn't leave me feeling better.

LittleHottie
03-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Currently I am reading 'To understand Buddhism'

jenbizagogo
04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Emiloid
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
"A Girl Named Disaster" by Nancy Farmer. I'll start "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn once I'm done. I've heard so much about it.

Dandelion
04-01-2004, 02:27 PM
do you have a copy?
cause you can have MINE.
please, take it! :umm: :p

I'll start "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn once I'm done. I've heard so much about it.

Emiloid
04-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Dandelion
do you have a copy?
cause you can have MINE.
please, take it! :umm: :p

I borrowed a copy. What, you didn't like it? I just hope it's not some weird-spiritual-cult type of thing like The Celestine Prophesy. (Sorry to those who liked that book!)

ohbugs
04-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm reading a book called Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by William McDonough and Michael Braungart. It's about moving away from the "reduce, reuse, recycle" environmental adage toward a new paradigm of design theory that pushes industry to be as eco-effective as possible, in other words to create with the "bigger picture" in mind. The book itself is not made from paper, but rather with a poly substance that can be used indefinitely as the raw material for other books or goods of similar or greater grade quality.

I'd recommend putting this one on top of your book pile!

Emiloid
04-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ohbugs
I'm reading a book called Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by William McDonough and Michael Braungart.

Ooo! I started this book but was insanely busy so I didn't finish it. I'm going to go find it again ASAP. What I did read was really interesting.

Dandelion
04-07-2004, 01:51 AM
I did not like it and had to choke down the final chapters. it's the philosphical version of new agey spiritual fluff. lotta basic elements most of us would be like "duh!".

I borrowed a copy. What, you didn't like it? I just hope it's not some weird-spiritual-cult type of thing like The Celestine Prophesy. (Sorry to those who liked that book!)

zatoichi
04-18-2004, 02:07 PM
i'm reading the wanting seed by anthony burgess. it's about how people resort to forced homosexuality, cannabalism and war in a future of overpopulation. it's a comedy, of course.

beautifulconfusion
04-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by zatoichi
i'm reading the wanting seed by anthony burgess. it's about how people resort to forced homosexuality, cannabalism and war in a future of overpopulation. it's a comedy, of course. Holy Shit! That sounds brilliant. I know this is a movie question but since your avatar is what it is I have to ask...Are you excited or anxious over Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi that's coming out?

zatoichi
04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
well, i'm not too familiar with kitano. i've only seen that one film of his where he and a kid embark on a journey to find the kid's mother, which i enjoyed. the way i feel about the new zatoichi film is similar to how i feel about seeing the new super special edition star wars dvds. i'm interested to see how they come out, but i'm always going to have a preference for the originals. plus, shintaro katsu is pretty much the embodiment of zatoichi. it's not like james bond films that replace the actor ever decade or so. katsu IS zatoichi. i've also heard that kitano has taken the character in another direction, so i'll try to judge the film on its own merits and resist comparing it to the originals. i'm definitely going to see it though. are you a zatoichi fan?

beautifulconfusion
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I'll keep it short so the moderator doesn't get ancy. :) I've actually only seen a few episodes at a friends house, which I liked a lot. So I'm not a full fledged fan yet but I'm looking forward to getting the series on DVD from NetFlix. I am a huge fan of Asian Cinema though. Kitano's done some amazing stuff as an actor and director. Of course he's no Kurosawa but I still have high-hopes for this. Okay back to books...Anybody read "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" I highly recommend it. It's by a Japanese writer named Haruki Murakami. I believe it's his first English-Language novel. Anyway, it's pretty brilliant and it surpasses any words of praise I can put on your screen. A friend of mine gave it to me for my b-day last year with the cryptic words "turn this into a movie" scrawled on the inside cover. I hope I can someday.

Husky Corn Star
05-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Alan Gingsberg, Jack Kerouc, William S. Burroughs, John Paul-Sartra, Kafka & James K. Baxter

zatoichi
05-01-2004, 09:16 AM
beatnik.

some people may not count these as legitimate reading material since they're graphic novels, but i do. i read hellboy: seed of destruction, the book the film is based on (and failed to adapt accurately or well) and the second volume of the maxx comic collection (issues 6-12 or something).

Husky Corn Star
05-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I forgot to mention, some Dostoyevesky

JasonSt
05-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
Alan Gingsberg, Jack Kerouc, William S. Burroughs, John Paul-Sartra, Kafka & James K. Baxter

Kafka, he's my fave. I once went to Prague to see his grave. Have you read the Blue Octavo Notebooks? There is an excellent piece titled "My Two Hands" that always makes me smile.

JasonSt
05-01-2004, 08:11 PM
But I'm now reading The Color of Water by James McBride, subtitled "A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother". It is very good, I would reccomend it highly.

dviolet
05-03-2004, 10:55 AM
I just finished reading The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I'm now onto another one of his novels, Angels and Demons.

penfold
05-03-2004, 12:28 PM
i just finished the Da Vinci Code, and now i'm readng another nother of his novels, Deception Point :D

Adams
05-03-2004, 07:46 PM
I've been "reading" A Lifetime of Peace (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1569244413.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) for months now. It's not that it's bad or anything, in fact I really like it, but I'm not a very big reader. :embarr:

Stitches
05-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Currently reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac (which was not easy to find, but well worth the 7-year search). I do love a good road-trip story...even one that took place a good half-century ago.

Emiloid
05-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Stitches
Currently reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac (which was not easy to find, but well worth the 7-year search).
Whaaa...? Were you looking for a specific copy or something?

spasticastic
05-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Whaaa...?
LOL & saying the same thing!

Stitches
05-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Nope. It was just really hard to find. I scoured new and used bookstores, flea markets, whatever, and found it recently at a used bookstore two blocks from my new home. I started looking when I was 15 - didn't have credit cards or the internet then (I really don't like using my Visa unless I have to anyway) so buying them online was not an option.

When I bought the book I said to the shop owner, "You know, I've been looking for this book for seven years," and he told me, "I hear that a lot. Copies don't come in very often because they're not easy to find, so they're usually gone within three days. That one came in yesterday."

Emiloid
05-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Don't they have libraries down there? :D
OK, sounds like you wanted your own copy. How do you like the book so far?

grog
05-06-2004, 12:24 PM
I should probably finally read that too. All the things I've read or heard around the whole beat scene has depressed the hell out of me though. Its hard to find used because college kids always have to buy it for class. I was lucky to find the Catcher in the Rye a few months ago.....which did depress the hell out of me but was also fanstastic.

Stitches
05-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Don't they have libraries down there? :D
OK, sounds like you wanted your own copy. How do you like the book so far?

Oh, there are libraries down here all right...but I began my search while living in San Diego (where the only person I ever met who knew anything about Beat literature was my elderly American Lit teacher), the branch libraries sucked, and the school libraries were even worse. The library near my last address (in Long Beach, where I met very few people who actually read books) didn't have it. Whereas a friend of mine who lived in the SF area told me her high school had TWO very old, hardbound copies on the library shelves! (I did ask her, repeatedly, to buy a copy for me if she could find one - she never did.) I have it good now - the library down the street is awesome.

I love this book! The only problem is, it's making my semipermanent wanderlust even worse.

PeriledSoul
05-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Im currently reading Richard Bachman's (aka, Stephen King) The Regulators. I just got done reading Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. And I am now starting to read 1984 for the 8th time :)

jenzie
05-07-2004, 02:43 AM
I recently finished reading "Why Girls Are Weird" by Pamela Ribon, who wrote the book after becoming super popular because of her blog (online journal). :)

PeriledSoul
05-07-2004, 02:46 AM
whats it about... or does the title say the whole thing?

jenzie
05-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by PeriledSoul
whats it about... or does the title say the whole thing?

Hehee! ;) Kinda, but not really. It's a humorous book about a gal, Anna, who starts up an online journal, and then the people in her life actually find out about it and yeah (don't wanna give it all away ;)). It follows her through some ups and down, but overall stays light (although simultaneously very revealing and truthful) and is an enjoyable read. :)

PeriledSoul
05-07-2004, 02:53 AM
am i gonna get butterflyie in my stomach like when i read certain books and get all happy that the guy got the girl (argh, im such a nerd heh)

jenzie
05-07-2004, 02:57 AM
am i gonna get butterflyie in my stomach like when i read certain books and get all happy that the guy got the girl (argh, im such a nerd heh)

Maybe. ;)

PeriledSoul
05-07-2004, 03:01 AM
see i dunno about that... but i can give it a try.

but if its happens im blaming it all on you

jenzie
05-07-2004, 03:22 AM
see i dunno about that... but i can give it a try.

but if its happens im blaming it all on you

Hehee, okay, I can live with that. :) I liked the book, including the end, so I hope you do too!

Emiloid
05-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Im currently reading Richard Bachman's (aka, Stephen King) The Regulators.

If you haven't already read Desperation by SK as well. That and The Regulators are kind of alternate universe novels... pretty freaky.

PeriledSoul
05-07-2004, 11:28 AM
ya ive read that also, ive re-read them a couple times too... :) Desperation freaks me out a little more than the Regulators though

zatoichi
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
hellboy: wake the devil

anyone like graphic novels?

PeriledSoul
05-10-2004, 07:20 PM
ive read Y: The Last Man, i dont know if thats graphic or not but it sure as hell rocks.

i cant decide what i want to read. there are so many options yet im not done with the books im reading now ~sigh~

lotus_blue
05-10-2004, 10:39 PM
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. It's Oprah's book club pick this month, and I'm really enjoying it. Very somber and beautifully written.

spasticastic
05-11-2004, 08:01 AM
hellboy: wake the devil
anyone like graphic novels?

As a youngster I bought and read SO MANY comic books. And by "graphic novel" I'm sure you mean "a long comic book with a spine". I quit comics years ago, and haven't stepped foot in a store since. It was a very ungradual transition.

I would read graphic novels, since I like illustration. But I have very limited places where I'll put my limited money these days. I did read Maus & Maus II recently, though.

zatoichi
05-11-2004, 07:25 PM
yeah. in the case of hellboy, they're actually comic anthologies or mini series collections. but i prefer the term 'graphic novel' just because comic books tend to be really stupid. they carry graphic novels at some libraries though. or you could always just read some hellboy stories at borders or somewhere. don't be detered by the film.

vegporn
05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Currently (actively) reading:

Rattling the Cage (4/5 stars): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0738204374/
Hardcore from the Heart (4/5 stars):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0826448925/
The Basketball Diaries (3/5 stars):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140249990/
Breeder (some writers great, others not so much, 3/5 overall):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580050514/

And some computer books.

spasticastic
05-21-2004, 10:36 PM
The Salmon of Doubt by/about Douglas Adams

zatoichi
05-22-2004, 12:16 AM
just re-read the johnny the homicidal maniac and schmee comic anthologies and am now reading 'clans of the alphane moon' by philip k. dick about an abandoned mental hospital planet that is inhabited by the ex-patients who arrange themselves into clans according to their respective mental illnesses. well, there's a lot more to it than that. there's the obligatory philip k. dick television star and a dysfunctional marriage/divorce and a telepathic slime mold. that's the first couple chapters, anyway.

Emiloid
05-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm still trying to get through Ishmael... which I think has interesting ideas but is otherwise not so great. I'm also sort of reading Thieves in High Places by Jim Hightower and I'm supposed to be reading The Little Friend... because my sister gave it to me and really really wants me to read it. :)

herbi
05-22-2004, 11:47 AM
'clans of the alphane moon' by philip k. dick about an abandoned mental hospital planet that is inhabited by the ex-patients who arrange themselves into clans according to their respective mental illnesses. well, there's a lot more to it than that. there's the obligatory philip k. dick television star and a dysfunctional marriage/divorce and a telepathic slime mold. that's the first couple chapters, anyway.

Damn! I gotta get a copy of that!!! :)

Right now picking through "The Browser's Book of Endings", by Charles Panati (http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Panati,%20Charles). It was a "for the trip" present from guapachica, and has some really interesting/outrageous stories in it! Now I want to see those others he's done...

zatoichi
05-22-2004, 12:14 PM
herbi, you'd dig philip k. dick, i think.

ohbugs
05-22-2004, 12:15 PM
just re-read the johnny the homicidal maniac and schmee comic anthologies

Have you read the Bad Art Collection comic book? If you like Johnny and Schmee, I think BAC will be right up your alley.

zatoichi
05-22-2004, 12:49 PM
what is it? if it's just a bunch of happy noodleboy comics i think i'll pass...

ohbugs
05-22-2004, 04:13 PM
No. BAC is a world all its own.