PDA

View Full Version : Celebration for the Turkeys 2007

veganella
06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
I know it's still only June, but I'm trying to make holiday plans re: time off from work, etc and we're seriously considering going to the NY event. Is anyone else thinking of/planning on going? We eloped on New Year's Day and haven't had a honeymoon yet; we're thinking of making it in NY and revolving it around the turkey celebration :) It would be a dream come true for both of us, who have always wanted to go to FS (turkeys are our favorite animals, too). Just curious if anyone else is thinking this far ahead?

VegeTexan
06-19-2007, 07:40 AM
That sounds like a wonderful honeymoon idea, veganella. I'm sure you will treasure the memories forever. Birds are very special to me, I am planning a November event here in El Paso. Maybe a "feed the homeless" event with tofurky and all the trimmings.

I was just thinking about asking Karen Davis of United Poultry Concerns to be a speaker here for our veg thanksgiving dinner that month. I bet she is super busy that month.

I doubt I will be able to go to NY for the FS celebration, but I would love to one day.

walrus
06-19-2007, 07:59 AM
or you could come to the CA shelter and meet me, stay in the cabin, hang out with some cool vegans.

c'mon! NY gets all the visitors and all the attention! ;)

veganella
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Heeee! That's so tempting, walrus! But CA is so much farther away than NY :-/ It'd probably just be a long weekend trip...Then again, it doesn't hurt to compare air tix, does it. It'd be warmer in CA :)

quagga
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Would you rather dress lightly (Left) or bundle up (Right)?

California, baby! Do it!

gladcow
06-19-2007, 05:39 PM
*tempted*

grog
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
i have a guest room.

seitanicvegan
06-19-2007, 06:16 PM
/blatant, unashamed bribing on/

Besides the adorable FS animals and gorgeous California weather, YOU could also get:
Southern Fried Tofu by walrus.
Chana Masala by Emiloid.
Rice and dal by grog.
Apple Bake by spasticastic.
Tiramisu or chai cupcakes by me.
Black-bottom Peanut Butter Mousse Pie by quagga.

/bribing off/

:D

gladcow
06-19-2007, 06:17 PM
*thinking*
*considering talking to husb*

walrus
06-19-2007, 07:23 PM
this could very well end up being the VRF meetup that was supposed to happen alongside AR2007! :silly:

i think everyone from VRF should come to the turkey event in CA this November. take a look at those pictures - who looks happier, eh? besides - our turkeys are friendlier and much cuter. :D

veganella
06-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh my gosh I'm now really considering CA! :) I shall talk to the Mr!

gladcow
06-19-2007, 10:07 PM
*talked to husb*
*still considering*

seitanicvegan
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Did you tell him about grog's hot tub? ;)

veganella
06-20-2007, 06:06 AM
I talked to the Mr, and he was all for it. I tentatively looked at lodging, car rental, and air tix (although it's too early, I can only look up to early November). So far it seems actually doable! Whoa...maybe we WILL go to Cali! Woo hoo :) I'd love to stay right there on the grounds, but I'm sure that cabin isn't available. I saw the list of lodging but they're all Motel 8 types of places...not quite what I had hoped for a honeymoon...Do you guys know of ANY B&Bs or something around? I guess I don't really expect that we'll spend a ton of time in the room (I know, odd for a honeymoon, but a trip to FS trumps that :) ) so maybe a Motel 8 would be fine after all.

quagga
06-20-2007, 08:52 AM
The nicest hotel around is the Hotel Diamond (http://www.hoteldiamondchico.com/) in downtown Chico. Although nice, it is not too expensive if you book at its "best" rates. Orland itself does not have any upscale accommodations. There are several B&Bs in the area, but I don't know of any that are particularly vegan-friendly. I'm sure walrus will have a zillion ideas.

Emiloid
06-20-2007, 01:18 PM
When he visited, Dandelion stayed at the Music Express (http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/california-chico-music-express-inn.html) in Chico. That's about 45 minutes from FS, but it's minutes away from the Chico crew. It's only 1/2 mile or so from grog, walrus, and spasticastic, and about one mile from my house. Looks like they will specially prepare your breakfast for you, so there's a good chance it could be vegan. Maybe Dandy can give us some insight?

eta: Here's a list of some other B&Bs in Chico (http://www.sacramentovalley.worldweb.com/Chico/WheretoStay/BedBreakfasts/).

veganella
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Great, thanks guys! Dandelion and walrus, if you have any scoop, that'd be fabulous as well. I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible before we decide for sure.
So, for you FS veterans, what's the Celebration like? I know what I imagine it to be, but would love to hear stories... :)

Emiloid
06-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, I've only worked at the Celebration, so I'm sure I missed a lot. I'd say it's a really enjoyable, low-key sort of day with a delicious feast to top it all off! There's lots of time to hang out with the turkeys and other animals, and you get to feed the turkeys, too.

walrus
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
okay, so just so everyone knows, the cabin is pretty much off limits for the events. we usually reserve it for guest speakers.

camping on site isn't a possibility unless it's the hoedown. i'm going to look into this just in case i'm wrong. however, either way, there is a campsite just down the road that some of our visitors have stayed at.

eta: oh, got my answer already. we allow camping for the hoedown because we serve alcohol and don't want folks driving home drunk. so there you go.

otherwise, you've got the motels in town (the orland in gives you a discount if you tell them you're going to our event), but as quagga said, they aren't that nice. the orland inn is the nicer of the bunch, but it's a motel; you can imagine what it's like.

orland inn: 530-865-7632
amberlight inn: 530-865-7655
walrus: 530-865-4617x13 :D
the hotel diamond might give you a discount if you mention us, although that was something they casually mentioned to me one day; i don't know if they implemented it. we give them a lot of business. :D

before i started working for FS, i went with grog to the celebration. it was cold, and terribly windy. we didn't have access to the turkey feeding because there were tons of people and it wasn't organized very well. HOWEVER, despite all that, i had such a great time and loved the entire day. since then, we've hired different staff who've taken more care of organizing this event, and last year we received rave reviews. we moved the location of the turkey feeding so as to give more guests access to the actual event, and we've found a better caterer. i have no idea what the NY event is like. i just know that it's going to be cold. the past two years i've worked here, the weather has been great.

i hope that answers everything. i should be getting paid for this! i'm doing it on my lunch break!

veganella
06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Aww, thanks walrus, for the info and especially for being an advocate on your break :)
It never occurred to me that there would be such a crowd, we might not even get much time with the turkeys. Would we get to visit with the other animals, at least? We'd be there all weekend, not just for the Celebration.
Thanks to everyone for your lodging tips, I can't tell you how much we appreciate it!

walrus
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Aww, thanks walrus, for the info and especially for being an advocate on your break :)
It never occurred to me that there would be such a crowd, we might not even get much time with the turkeys. Would we get to visit with the other animals, at least? We'd be there all weekend, not just for the Celebration.
Thanks to everyone for your lodging tips, I can't tell you how much we appreciate it!
from what i understand, at the 2006 event, all the guests had access to the turkeys during the feeding ceremony (which is an hour long, i believe), unlike when grog and i went in 2004 and at the 2005 event. the rest of the time, the turkeys are free-roaming, so if you come by the next day even, you'll get to see them. there is a couple hours of shelter time (aka: time with the animals) and again, if you come the next day, you can still see animals. also, any other time i'm here, i can take you around no sweat. you won't get that in NY. :D

also, you won't get chico vegans if you're in NY, either.

veganella
06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, we're pretty much sold on CA. I'm so glad I asked about this a few months ahead of time :)
Are there other things we could do on the farm if there are only a couple hours of shelter time/animal love? I know they say you can pitch in with chores, etc...would they let us do that or are there all kinds of contingencies? If so...what else is there to do in the area?
(Oh, and I assume it's best to fly into Sacramento, right? What is it, about a 90 minute drive?)

quagga
06-20-2007, 06:15 PM
The weather has been gorgeous for this event for the last couple of years. The food is very good for catered food and you can have seconds and thirds if you like. I think there were 125 registrants for the 2006 celebration??

There's a lot of wandering-around time where you can visit with the animals, but no guided walking tours. Staff are assigned to barns to keep an eye on things, answer questions, keep things tidy, and so on.

There is also a tractor hayride that folks like. It's all of 7 minutes long, but it's fun. Kids love it! The speakers are usually pretty good...occasionally they're a bit long-winded for my taste, however. The real thrill is visiting the animals.

The guests come from all over - a lot come from the Bay Area and Sacramento, and sometimes farther. I've worked the registration table with Walrus for a couple of FS events now, and folks are always super-happy to be meeting the animals. There's usually a small contingent of kids and there is a kids table where they can do some fun stuff--like color, or read a book, or stuff like that.

IMHO Chico offers more dining options than Orland -- there are several good restaurants (though we just lost one of my favorite breakfast places :() where you can eat when you're not being catered to or potlucked. Hopefully our raw food restaurant, House of Nature's Own, will still be in business by then. They are awesome!

PM me if you want to stay at the Hotel Diamond and can't get their 'best' rate; I can probably get you our company rate (from where I work). The Diamond is located right downtown--if you time it right, you can even stroll Chico Saturday farmers market before you head out to FS. The market should be full of fall harvest goodness at that time of year (pomegranates and persimmons :drool:).

I hope your plans work out and we get to see you!

grog
06-20-2007, 06:49 PM
we can also (schedules permitting) show you around the world famous bidwell park in Chico. or take a two hour drive to a volcano and a fantastic waterfall.

quagga
06-20-2007, 06:52 PM
:sunny: As grog notes, we are a very hospitable bunch. :sunny:

Are you convinced yet?

gladcow
06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty convinced! But I need to look closely at my work schedule (that's right near our update time) and talk to the husb some more. We are definitely considering it.

grog
06-20-2007, 07:53 PM
all 4 of the gladherd?

gladcow
06-20-2007, 08:06 PM
all 4 of the gladherd?
yep :D

aren't you just about due for more kidlets infecting you? :silly:

grog
06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
haha, oh god, i forgot about that part.

we'll my immune system needed some work after years of being a shutin.

Emiloid
06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Yay! The gladherd!

veganella
06-21-2007, 05:35 AM
We're pretty convinced! I don't think we'd be bringing Grace, though. Wouldn't be much of a honeymoon :)
Grog, that all sounds great!

quagga
06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
(Oh, and I assume it's best to fly into Sacramento, right? What is it, about a 90 minute drive?)

I'm glad your plans are shaping up! To answer your question - yes, it's probably cheapest to fly into Sacramento, though Chico does have an airport that has a few United flights from San Francisco. The drive is about 90 minutes from Sacramento.

Flying into/out of Sacramento gives one the opportunity to dine at the lovely, delicious, and vegan Andy Nguyen's Buddhist Vietnamese (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=5701) restaurant. :drool:

seitanicvegan
06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Flying into/out of Sacramento gives one the opportunity to dine at the lovely, delicious, and vegan Andy Nguyen's Buddhist Vietnamese (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=5701) restaurant. :drool:
I was there a couple weeks ago on my drive back from Burbank. I stopped to visit my vegan friend in Sacramento, and we went to Andy's. The menu has changed a bit, but it's better, I think. And still vegan.

veganella
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I want to cry. Maybe I will. I was going to buy the plane tickets tonight--we by chance happened into a little extra cash. But of course, late this afternoon my husband left the dentist office with news that he needs $3000 of work done. Soon. And we don't have that kind of cash lying around. So, there goes our honeymoon.

Emiloid
07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Aw! I'm so sorry, veganella! :( Can't he just suffer for a while?? (kidding!)

veganella
07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
ETA: he just assured me that we'll find a way :smitten:
I still need to wait to buy tickets, though.

quagga
07-03-2007, 07:21 PM
What a rollercoaster! Mr Veganella must be quite a sweetie! I hope his dental issues are not too severe.

gladcow
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
*hugs* for Mr. Veganella. what a stand-up guy. Hope his teeth feel better soon.

We are still strongly considering this :D

veganella
07-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Hooray! Yep, he's a total sweetie. Gladcow, I hope you guys get to make it, too!

Emiloid
07-03-2007, 08:11 PM
ETA: he just assured me that we'll find a way :smitten:
I still need to wait to buy tickets, though.

Yes! Great news. :) Maybe he can get dental insurance (if you don't have it already) and then go to a new dentist...? Is that cheating? Maybe he's already insured? I dunno!

veganella
07-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, sadly, the three grand was WITH insurance! He needs a bit of work :) But, it doesn't need to be done tomorrow, it can be spread out and likely needs to be anyway. Thanks for the support, everyone! Heeeee turkeys! I can't wait!

mamaquilla
07-03-2007, 08:21 PM
We are most likely gonna do this! :happy:

Im so sorry to hear about Mr.veganella's teeth!!!! Thank goodness you still get your honeymoon :happy:

Emiloid
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
It's an emotional rollercoaster! I'm glad it's going to work out. :)

gladcow
07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
We're looking at hotels. It will likely be a quick trip for us, maybe only two nights. But we are pretty sure it's a yes. :)

mamaquilla
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!

mamaquilla
10-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Due to my sad sad foot/leg we have to cancel our plans to attend Celebrate the Turkeys. :cry: :bawling: There is just NO way I can drive that far. Its been really tough just going about town for daily routine stuff.

Please all you guys that go take TONS and TONS of pictures!!!!

Chijou_no_seiza
10-12-2007, 06:33 PM
there is still like a month though.

mamaquilla
10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
And sadly this particular condition is known for taking MONTHS to get better :umm: even when doing "everything" right. its sucky mcsuckish :p

gladcow
10-12-2007, 06:43 PM
:cry:

get better, hon :heart:

mamaquilla
10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
thanks, please give some extra turkey lovin for me will ya ;)

gladcow
10-12-2007, 06:46 PM
heh, dirty :p

mamaquilla
10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
:o :laugh:

grog
10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
What's wrong with your leg??

seitanicvegan
10-12-2007, 11:03 PM
mamaquilla, I hope your leg gets better much more quickly than expected. :umm:

I can't believe it's already time for another Celebration. I'm tempted to attend rather than volunteer. I've never actually fed the turkeys.

veganella
10-13-2007, 07:14 AM
We won't be going after all, this year anyway. I'm bummed, but we're saving every penny for our wedding next June and hopefully buying a new house. So...maybe next year we'll be with the turkeys! Enjoy, everyone who will be attending!
MamaQ, I hope you're feeling better soon!

mamaquilla
10-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Ah man, no Veganella either!!!! :umm:
Thanks you guys :)

gladcow
10-13-2007, 01:04 PM
you guys! am a supposed to make this trip alone? :(

Chijou_no_seiza
10-13-2007, 01:07 PM
i might be coming, it's right around when the grog trip would be scheduled anyways

gladcow
10-13-2007, 01:07 PM
yay! :D

Chijou_no_seiza
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
We're looking at hotels. It will likely be a quick trip for us, maybe only two nights. But we are pretty sure it's a yes. :)

hey gladcow have you looked into which day(s) you might be coming yet?

gladcow
10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
The plan is to leave drive down Friday (Nov 16) and drive home Sunday or Monday (Nov18/19). But we have not made any reservations yet, so it could change. :)
Now that we're all recovered from our SF trip, we're going to talk soon and make real plans.

grog
10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, see, if you stick around Sunday you can cook for us.

Er, I mean, we can cook for you.... ;)

gladcow
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
heh. we can cook for each other! :silly:

mamaquilla
10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
:cartwheel: :daisy: :sunny: Change of plans yet again, I am coming down via airplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Quagga's have kindly offered to drive my sorry booty around. It will just be me tho, not my girlies.:cry:
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy Turkey Day!!!!!:happy:

Chijou_no_seiza
10-23-2007, 12:57 AM
i won't be coming afterall, sorry gladcow. It looks like you won't be lonely, however.

gladcow
10-23-2007, 09:35 AM
yay mamaquilla! woo!

aw man, chijou :( I'm sorry to hear that. you should come up here this weekend and meet herbi! :D :silly:

seitanicvegan
10-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Yay, mamaquilla's coming! Hanging out with you and gladcow will be a blast!

Bummer, Chijou! I hope things change and you end up coming down anyway.

quagga
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Sorry you won't be able to make it up here that weekend, Chijou! Gladcow, I'm really looking forward to seeing you, seeing how I frumped out and didn't do the San Francisco road trip that I had contemplated.

ETA: I moved my chatter (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=267438) about Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge and other local weekend planning stuff to the Chico thread (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=267438).

mamaquilla
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
What is this Chijou/MamaQ ping pong :silly: First shes coming now...oh wait now shes not...wait wait....ah she IS, but now shes not!!!!
Gah!!! I hope that it changes again for you too Chijou and you get to come up!!!!

Wah HOOO!!!!! Turkey Day! :)

Chijou_no_seiza
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm sure you know it's complicated.

grog
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
price and day wise, Chijou gets to visit longer for cheaper another time, which equals more girlfriend time for me :D so tough luck for the rest of yous :p

gladcow
10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
:mad: grog, share Chijou! *shakes fist*

mamaquilla
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
mannnnnnnnnnnn, ya gotta be like that ;)

quagga
05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
flickr pics from Farm Sanctuary Celebration for the Turkeys November 2007!

Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/farmsanctuary1/sets/72157603734892582/)