PDA

View Full Version : Jacqui's life story.

shade
05-13-2003, 01:36 AM
It's probably about time that I'm getting around to posting my story. My story really isn't that interesting and I'm getting sick of telling it so it took me until one very bored night to do so. :p
I became a vegetarian at the age of 8. I always was ananimal lover just never really connected animals to the food I was eating (other than pigs, they were my favourite animals and I always refused to eat anything pig related for some reason). When I was 8 I got a horrible 3 or 4 month long flu. I couldn't eat much of anything other than crackers and bread like things. Apparently m stomach stopped producing the toxins to break down meat or something (doctor tried explaining it to me, I was 8 so not really paying attention). Basically to sum it up, I would get horribly ill every time I tried to consume meat after that. That was the big get go to it all.
I still had no idea what veganism was or that such a thing existed. I got made fun of at school for being "that girl that eats weird food".
I was also lactose intolerant this entire time I should probably add and no animal products really 100% agreed with me. I avoided certain animal derrived dyes (mainly red 40 since it made me extremely aggitated and violent followed by extreme nausea). I was finally learning a little bit more about veganism when I became a computer junkie and practically lives in front of this technological box. One day (I was actually visiting California ..and had really bad sunstroke at the time so was living off of fruit smoothies) I decided that I wanted to be a vegan. I tried explaining it to my mom and she thought that I was absolutely crazy. She tried to sneak dairy products and such into my food for about the first month. My dad tried to convince that I was going to die from malnutrition. They eventually got over themselves and realized that 6 years later I'm still alive and healthier than ever so it couldn't be THAT bad for me. I still learn new things every day about veganism. My friends and family are now more supportive and help me out rather than ridiculing me. When I go out to a restaraunt with friends it turns out to be a "lets all see what we can find that Jacqui can eat" hunt before they even look at the menus for themselves.
I'm not too sure what else to add. That basically sums up my story, which really isn't all that exciting.

Dandelion
05-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey Shade,
Your story IS exciting. These stories are all unique and it's makes it interesting. I love reading them. That's why i selfishly make yall do em. Heh.
Anyway WOW you had some health issues huh? Convenient tho ;). I like to boast to that after 5 years of being vegan i'm still alive (and healthy).
and no it's not a phase mom n dad

Some people complain about the "what can our vegan friend eat" hunt that happens when we go. i don't mind but i like to make it seem easy peasy, well actually it is anyway but i don't wanna scour the menu all concerned like. i wonder if that makes them think about their food more and maybe it'll sink in their head one day. ya never know what's gonna trigger the vegan switch.
i think there's one in everybody :)

kathym
05-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Soooo very interesting...I mean look at how many have mentioned liking pigs when they were young? I had my favorite pig and loved him so much until he cames up missing one day and no one had an explantation. :mad:

Vegit-8
05-14-2003, 01:13 AM
I love piggies. :)
Thank you shade, for finally sharing your interesting storey.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

jenzie
05-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Thanks for sharing your story! :D I initially stopped eating (red) meat for health reasons too... which looking back I think made the final switch to veganism easier. ;)