PDA

View Full Version : glass pitcher?

brookyann
04-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Looking for a large glass pitcher with fitted lid...preferably tempered glass so that hot liquids will not shatter the pitcher. I don't want any more plastic! Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm actually using the pitcher from my blender because it's perfect...until I need the blender. Any ideas?

Miso Vegan
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Are you sure it needs a lid? I find lots without. :umm:

brookyann
04-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Miso, I know! Everything is without a lid. I'd like one for sun tea (so lid would be needed for outside "sunning") and another for freshly made soymilk. Soymilk lasts for days so I don't want it to start tasting like my fridge...or for anything to get in it...yuck!!! So I do need a lid.

I found one at Crate & Barrel, but it's pretty small, and I can't tell for certain if it would be OK for hot liquids. It was surprisingly affordable, but I really was hoping for something larger (40+ ounces).

How has Pyrex not come out with something for hot liquids? Am I crazy?

michiganveganchick
04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=100743

This isn't tempered glass, but it does have a lid.

Miso Vegan
04-15-2007, 11:43 AM
brookyann, I see your dilemma! I have often seen replacement glass blender pitchers at thrift stores and such. And of course you can just buy them straight out. But--not the most attractive pitcher in the world....
Will keep on the lookout....

eta: As I look at search results, I guess the word "storage" implies that it's not good for hot liquids. Maybe you can get a nice glass pitcher with lid and just transfer hot liquids once they've cooled?

bird
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
i have some beautiful glass pitchers with fitted rubber lids. i think they are 2 liters. i also have a 1 liter one. i bought the first one at pcc in seattle, but i have found the same brand at the wedge here, which is where i bought my subsequent ones. i will go look today or tomorrow at the brand (since the pitchers themselves are unmarked, which i adore) and report back for you.

i'm not sure if they are tempered or not, but i fill them with boiling hot water straight from the kettle and there has never been a problem. i brew pitchers-full of tea at a time this way, let them cool to room temp, and then stick them in the fridge. i use a mesh tea basket which sits perfectly in the mouth of the pitcher, and fill it with loose tea of my choice. i will get the brand of the basket for you, too. :)

i also pre-filter water and store them in the pitchers in my fridge, too, so that if i have a large cooking project i don't have to worry about waiting to make enough filtered water.

bird
04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
okay, the pitcher brand i use is quadro luminarc. find their stuff here:

http://www.luminarc.us/products/productPage.php?c=2&sc=2&pid=33859

i have several of the 64 oz size and one of the 37 oz size.

i forgot to look at the brand of the tea caddy for you. i'll do that when i next go to the co-op.

brookyann
04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
bird, you are such a sweetie. Thank you for your input! I really look forward to reviewing the pitcher when I have a moment.

miso, thanks for understanding. I'm avoiding all things plastic anymore. I agree that I could allow my liquids to cool in a separate container...but I hate extra dishes...wow I am very particular!!!

Thanks to all for the help. love

bird
04-23-2007, 02:53 PM
ok, went back to the wedge. this is my tea caddy that fits perfectly in the glass pitchers i linked to:

http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/detail.asp?navID=1597

it's only $3.99 at the co-op, so it's more expensive on the site.

brookyann
04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
best pitchers in America. Made sun tea. Love it. Thank you all!

Miso Vegan
04-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Did you get the one bird linked to?

brookyann
08-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Yes. I purchased several sizes. They fit in the fridge PERFECTLY.

Miso Vegan
08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
:thumbsup:

VRF to the rescue!!!

PlumBlossom
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
you can always go to walmart and get glass pitchers

Miso Vegan
11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Not if you hate WalMart. ;)
http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=2683

J Jingle
12-04-2007, 08:49 AM
It's not a pitcher...but....growing up we used to make sun tea in large pickle jars. The jars came from restaurants; all you had to do was ask. There was no residual pickle smell after a hot soapy washing. The glass is thick, making it less fragile to sit outside all day.

downwithapathy
12-05-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm sleepy, but as of a few minutes ago... my Brita pitcher isn't terribly functional. I strongly feel I saw a glass one at some point in my life. Did Brita ever make a glass pitcher? I'm beginning to believe I fabricated this memory. Oooo... is it possible to just replace the top portion of a Brita pitcher. Zzzzz....research later. Want. Filtered. Water. :drool: