PDA

View Full Version : Terressentials

Miso Vegan
02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I came across this company (http://www.terressentials.com/) on another website and I was intrigued because it's organic, and naturally preserved, so I went to their site to see if they were vegan and if they wanted a vegan rep.... Turns out they use some beeswax. They're very similar to suki products (which also uses beeswax, and which I also used to represent).

But I came across this and I want to respond to it, but my first reaction is rather acerbic and unhelpful ("that's the stoopidest argument I've ever heard!") so I need some more reasoned responses. Here's what they say about veganism and bee products:

Are your products vegan?

Our products contain no ingredients derived in any way from any animals, fish or fowl. We do use beautiful sustainably-produced organic beeswax in some of our lotions and creams. We have found no truly natural plant waxes that come close. Our beekeepers love their bees and do everything in their power to keep them healthy and happy. Some people will drive miles out of their way to find a synthetic product that hasn't inconvenienced a bee, flattening scores of other insects with their windshields in the process. That doesn't make sense to us. Responsible apiculture (beekeeping) is necessary for agriculture, since so many bees have been killed off by pesticides... another reason to go organic.

nauthiz
02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
It sounds like they're pretty wedded to beeswax, but my (probably also unreasoned) response would be to point out that people who avoid products from bees have heard beeswax apologia like that 1,000,000 times and are more likely to be turned off to the company by such a hackneyed response than they are to be convinced to start buying beeswax. A better answer would be something to-the-point like "Most of our products are free of animal ingredients, but some do contain organic beeswax."

bluedawg
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
totally agree, nauthiz. just say "some have beeswax" and leave it at that. then they could save that BS paragraph for the vegans who email them to ask why they use beeswax. hee.

grog
02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Why Honey isn't vegan (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=577)

The link in the first post should give you plenty of info.

nauthiz
02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Maybe point out that Simple Shoes tried the same game to get out of hot water when they advertised shoes with wool insoles as vegan, and that all they succeeded in doing was alienating a huge portion vegan community. I for one would have bought some Green Toe shoes if they ever released one that was vegan ('cuz I think they're neat), but when they responded to my request for clarification over whether their shoes actually were vegan or not and with a cutesy story about happy sheep, it pissed me off enough that they have lost the opportunity to get any future business from me.

Dandelion
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
highly unprofessional. way to :alien:ate

Miso Vegan
02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, c'mon, people! Where are the witty retorts? The clever and irrefutable one-liners? That's what I'm lookin' for! :silly:

stegan
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
How about:

"How happy are the bees when you destroy what they spend their whole lifetimes building, anyways?"

nauthiz
02-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, c'mon, people! Where are the witty retorts? The clever and irrefutable one-liners? That's what I'm lookin' for! :silly:

Well, I know someone whose cat makes really stinky poops. If they're located near Chicago I can ding-dong-ditch them.

grog
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
the argument that bugs get killed on windshields is bogus, as it also applies to the trucks and vehicles involved in transporting the beeswax.

They are just being extremely dismissive of vegan ethics, and if they are trying to target vegans otherwise, as everyone said, that lameness is a huge turnoff.

JasperKat
02-07-2007, 05:06 PM
How about "I'm too sexy for your beeswax"?

-JK

michiganveganchick
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
How about "I'm too sexy for your beeswax"?

-JK

:laugh:

nauthiz
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
How about:

Sustainably-produced beeswax is an oxymoron. Honeybees are an invasive exotic species and are driving out native North American species. They do not pollinate many North American plants nearly as well as the native species they are displacing, so their presence poses a threat to the native ecology. Cultivating honeybees is only exacerbating this situation and the support of further cultivation of honeybees is no way environmentally responsible.