PDA

View Full Version : Going to be in seattle on friday night....

CountAgranoff
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
and I may need a place to crash...

I might already have a place lined up. If I have to i'll saty at the hostel but I'd rather meet some new vegan friends.

-David

CountAgranoff
01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey thanks for the help everybody. :umm:

I understand not everybody can help but we are vegans and this is about community, If any vegans we're coming to my area I'd at least write back and say sorry can't help you. If I couldn't.

My wife and I believe firmly in Vegans working together to build a community so sorry if this sounds like sour grapes but I'm bummed. 23 people viewed this thread and no body even said "have fun" or anything like that.

-David

Miso Vegan
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I was just waiting to make sure I didn't have anything going on that I'd forgotten about, but guilt-tripping us doesn't help. :umm:

And you didn't even tell us why you'll be here, so maybe it was for an un-fun thing like a funeral or sumpthin'. So, um, have fun with whatever you're doing!

grog
01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
23 people viewing doesn't mean anything. That can be guests, spiders, or the hundres of other members who aren't part of the 4 or 5 that live in Seattle.

I find the PM function to be best, if I need to make a personal request that requires a response.

CountAgranoff
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm there to see a movie that isn't playing out here, it wasn't meant as a guilt trip just a statement on community, that no one even asked what I was doing. Doesn't matter. I'm fine doing stuff all day but i was looking for a place to crash.

Don't worry about...it wasn't meant to be guilt trip just wondering why no one seemed to write back. Honestly I just want to see pans labyrith!

Sorry if it came off that way.

-David

Miso Vegan
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear it's not for a funeral! :) That's a movie I want to see, too.

just a statement on community, that no one even asked what I was doing.
OK. Here's my feelings on this, and I'm not saying this to come across as angry or judgmental - I just want you to understand why some of us may not have asked:
it's rather passive-aggressive to say you're going to someplace without saying why, then have feelings and make a "statement" about no one asking you why.
It is no reflection on us nor a "statement" about community that we didn't ask. For all we know, you were coming for a private reason that you don't want to share, or you would have shared it!

I guess I'm a little peeved because VRFers aren't just "all talk" when it comes to community. It certainly helps if you have an established presence on VRF, but not even required.
For example, I have had total strangers (not even VRFers! but a friend of a VRFer, and that friend's friend!) stay with me just so they can go to a show in Seattle. I had Vegit-8 and his friends (also strangers to me) stay over. I offered my place for a VRFer who needed to be in WA for a family member in a hospital. I believe MamaQ hosted Vegit8 before she knew him.
MissLovely invited us stranger Seattlites to her sleepover birthday party.
Chijou goes to Berkeley, and spent the day with grog, and they were strangers.
These things happen a lot, and are very loud "statements of community" in my book.

For the next time around, you could try to phrase your request more like, "hay guyz guess wat! [you can leave out the catspeak if you want.] I'm coming to Seattle Friday to see Pan's Labyrinth [insert invitation to join you if you want to do that]. And if I can be so bold, I could really use a place to stay that night, can anyone help?"

For my part, I would love to meet you and even your wife and meet the bunnies and such, next time I work on the penninsula.

mamaquilla
01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
CountAgranoff so sorry to have misssed your post...have been offline a lot of late due to upset wrists.

We have family coming in town tonight and cant offer you a space. I agree with Miso, would love to meet you guys sometime when the timing all works out!

Miso Vegan
01-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Speaking of the movie... looks even better than I thought it might be - but I don't think my son's ready for it....

http://www.alternet.org/movies/47054/

CountAgranoff
01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
This person had offered me and place and backed out at the last minute this morning and I was displacing my anger. I think I got a spot with a vegan Straight edge dude, if not the hostel is right by the ferry so it wont be the end of the world.

Yeah I hope to meet everyone, in may I might try to do a book signing for my book in seattle. So that might be a good way.

As for Pan's it is going to be an excellent movie, I've been following it's development for three years that is why I'm going to such lengths to see it.

-David

Miso Vegan
01-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Bummer about that - hope it works out and sorry we can't help you this time.
Enjoy the show!

CountAgranoff
01-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Everywent ok and the movie was awesome. You folks are so spoiled with the food options :)

-David

Miso Vegan
01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Glad to hear, and yes, we are.

MissLovely
01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Speaking of the movie... looks even better than I thought it might be - but I don't think my son's ready for it....

http://www.alternet.org/movies/47054/

I was told it's too gory for kids.

Miso Vegan
01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I'd have done some research before taking him (but it may be moot since his dad will take him to movies against my wishes. if we're lucky it won't come to a convenient theater).

CountAgranoff
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I was told it's too gory for kids.

That depends on the kid. I was unphased when I was pretty little but hey look how I turned out.

-David

Miso Vegan
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
GASP!!! My kid's gonna be a ... a ... HORROR WRITER!!!!

;)

My son doesn't seem too phased by gore, but the war scenes, the abuse.... He needn't be exposed to such inhumanity too young!

CountAgranoff
04-07-2007, 02:51 PM
A vegan horror writer. not to sabby.

-David