PDA

View Full Version : My short story

LittleHottie
05-04-2003, 12:45 PM
I have been a vegetarian for one year.

I don't eat eggs, milk or any other dairy product directly.
eg.. I wont boil an egg or drink a glass of milk or yogurt.

However if something I am eating has egg or milk in it..eg muffin or frapp I eat it. Not that I want to but I find it hard not too as almost everything has one of these products in it. I cannot find egg replacer in my grocery store.

If you can point me to a store that carries none animal products conpletely and isnt $8.00 for a small portion then great I will buy it!

Also help on finding a vegan or vegetarian cookbook that has easy and quick recipes and has lots of pictures in it.

The cookbook I have has recipes that are to conplicated and require to much ingredients to make.

oneness
05-04-2003, 06:45 PM
hello and welcome to the boards..

the only place i have ever seen egg replacer is at the HFS. do not beat your self up over not having all animal products eliminated.. take your time and do what comes naturally for you.. your making a big difference just by not eating meat and only having the dairy and stuff in the prepared foods. it will probably happen for you and when it does you will have learned enough to make it an easy and uncomplicated transition into veg*n eating..

again welcome to the boards and i look forward to reading more posts from you...

:D

herbi
05-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Yes, Welcome! And congrats on taking so many steps in the "right" direction. :) I am encouraged whenever I read posts by people who aren't already Ultimate Level 5 Vegans, because it means we must seem like a friendly place to use as a resource while in transition. Hope that proves true for you!

You might find the En-R-G Egg Replacer not only in health food stores, but maybe in the "special diet" or "food allergy" part of the largest local grocery store??? If not, there are lots of other things you can use in recipes in place of eggs-- check out the Food Forum & ask the Vegan Cookery Goddess, Misanthropy! :)

My favorite cookbooks so far are "How It All Vegan", and its sequel (which I just bought TODAY but have already got my eye on a couple yummy-lookin' dishes...) "The Garden of Vegan." Both are by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer. I find something about the whole presentation to be very non-intimidating and encouraging. The recipes are all really simple, with not too many ingredients & easy-to-read instructions in regular language & not special chef-talk. :)

misanthropy
05-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Heh heh... "cookery goddess"... I like that! Though I haven't been cooking that much lately. :(

Anyhow... you could try ground flax seeds as a replacement or straight potato starch mixed with water.

Flax Eggs

1/3 cup whole flax
1 cup water

In a blender or food processor, blend the seeds to an even meal. Then slowly add water while blending. Blend until mixture resembles a thick milkshake. Transfer to a sealable container and store in the fridge (will keep for 3-6 days). If you like you can pour through a strainer to remove seeds.

1 egg = 3 tablespoons of the above recipe.

(Source: How it all Vegan)

If you're looking for food replacements that are vegan, wander over to the food forum and post some questions on specific things you're looking to replace. I'm sure someone can help you find what you're looking for.

Oh and welcome!

LittleHottie
05-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Herbi:My favorite cookbooks so far are "How It All Vegan", and its sequel (which I just bought TODAY but have already got my eye on a couple yummy-lookin' dishes...) "The Garden of Vegan." Both are by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer. I find something about the whole presentation to be very non-intimidating and encouraging. The recipes are all really simple, with not too many ingredients & easy-to-read instructions in regular language & not special chef-talk.

Yes I have seen both cookbooks .Sarah Kramer is a local in my town. Good book but no real pictures and this is what I want lots of colourful pics and easy recipes.

its_a_gas
05-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Welcome!!

I am actually coming up on only my one month anniversary as a vegan, so like yourself, I am far from the most die-hard level of veganism. I hope to be at that level in the not-too-distant future, but I'm still learning. I've found the people here to be great resources so far, so fire away with the questions!

Incidentally, you totally look like you could be my sister! I saw your picture and I thought, "Oh my God, she looks like me!" I was so amused by that, I just had comment. :)

vegancherrypie
05-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Also, you can use 1/4 silken tofu, whipped in a blender or whatever, for each egg, plus some baking powder for the leavening egg would have given, or I've even seen some people use banans. But, seriously, the flax goop works well if you can't find Ener-G but you can find flax seed.

Cassie

Emiloid
06-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Welcome Lil' Hottie!

About Ener-G... if your health food store carries it (and they should), it will be on the shelf, probably in the baking aisle. (I mention this because when I went vegan I searched high and low in the refrigerated section, to no avail. Then I asked someone, and voila!)

I know it can be hard to avoid all ingredients, but the fact that you are on the vegan journey is wonderful in itself. The best way is to ween yourself off premade goodies. But you probably already know that! At any rate, even being "mostly vegan" is terrific. It's always an ongoing process, even for people who seem strict already.

Anyway, welcome to the community!

madpogue
06-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Yo, LH!

You're what's often called a "visible vegan". I hovered in that stage for several years. That last step, eliminating the not-necessarily-vegan muffins, soups, etc., was the hardest, not so much for what I would miss or for what I craved, but for availability of alternatives. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

Dunno a thing about where to find vegan alternatives in BC. Hey, why not try to contact this Sarah Kramer directly; if she lives in your area, she's probably found all the "best-kept secrets" for veg*ns.

As for a good "starter" vegan cookbook, I've always liked PETA's Compassionate Cook. Everything else one might say (and I have!) about PETA aside, this is a great cookbook of simple recipes, for people just getting started. They can sometimes be a bit too simple (resulting in "uninspired" dishes), but they're also great "starter" recipes, on which you can expand to suit your own unique tastes. For the perhaps-undue sake of not posting quasi-commercial URL's, I'll PM you the URL for the book from PETA's catalog site.

If you see your "visible vegan" status as just a current status, then take heart; many of us have been there before. Remember, you're on a journey, one on which you should be happy for each step.

Oh, and you're a fellow culture jammer. COOL! Remember, the more you opt out of the animal-product consumption mainstream, the more of a culture jam your life itself becomes. Amazing journey, eh?

Husky Corn Star
06-03-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by madpogue
Remember, the more you opt out of the animal-product consumption mainstream, the more of a culture jam your life itself becomes.

Damn Hippies !!! ;)

Beanqueen
06-03-2003, 04:34 AM
sorry to be dumb but what is a culture jammer?

Emiloid
06-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Culture jamming... a good place to get info is at Adbusters: http://www.adbusters.org (http://).

I would describe culture jamming as using familar media to bring attention to our cultural blindness/biases. There's probably a more accurate definition out there....

Beanqueen
06-04-2003, 07:57 AM
cool, oh and I forgot to welcome you littlehottie ... HI!!

LittleHottie
01-12-2004, 11:53 PM
I have been a vegetarian for 2 years now and before that was on and off. I never ate meat,whole eggs or milk products( i am lactose intolerant and become very ill when eating or drinking dairy products) So basically the only animal products I ate were the ones hidden in ingredients.

Until two days ago I decided that was it! I wanted to become vegan. I feel great! And after reading the list from Peta on animal products to look for , I was shocked and digusted I could not believe how many animal products can be found in just about everything.

My husband is a meat eater, he eats chicken.He tried to become a vegetarian, but it only lasted two months. I was upset that he couldn't change his lifestyle with me but I didnt force him or hold it against him. I just don't cook meat for him ever, I refuse to cook any meat for him. So if he wants chicken he buys it cooked, otherwise he eats what I eat.

I think it will be a bit of a challenge but I am all for it, I strongly believe I can do this.

anyway thats my short story

Vegit-8
01-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Congratulations on your determination...and good luck.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

jenzie
01-13-2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and welcome! This is a great board full of lots of info for new and old vegans alike... enjoy! :D

katiesun
01-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Little Hottie-thanks for sharing your story with us. It's great how well you're doing in improving your way of life. It seems like there are a lot of steps (to me anyway) in growing into this way of life. For me it's been a lot of years coming; letting one bad habit after another fall away as I replace it with another more happily suitable way of eating/doing things. It's all good isn't it?
Katie

Dave Noisy
01-16-2004, 02:47 AM
Yay - another Islander! =)

You're on the IslandVeg Forum as well..?

LittleHottie
01-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Yah Dave that's me :D I get around.

Dave Noisy
01-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey - we're gonna have a table at the Health Show this weekend, be sure to pop by and say hi if you're around!

LittleHottie
01-22-2004, 01:50 AM
That's awesome Dave. I am really glad you were able to get a table. I may see you there. You be sure and pop by our table and have a glass of H20 now and see what your missing :D

Dave Noisy
01-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Damn - just noticed this now!

I was there from 9:30-4 on Sat, but didn't really get a chance to look around.

I'll look for you today (Sun), i'll be there from 2:30-6.

Did you see our table? Originally we were supposed to be downstairs in the dungeon with all the other weirdo non-profits, but there wasn't enough room and we got stuck at the top right by the 'main entrance'! Woot!

Those new water guys outside are really putting out the H2O mojo....free water bottles, thems smarts! (Cyclists can never have too many...) Gotta see how stinky they are tho... It's funny, when i need to buy a new water bottle, i keep sniffing them to find the ones that smell the least...

LittleHottie
02-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Hey how'd the tabling go? Did you come over to our water display and see Brad 'our salesman from hell'( just kidding)? I wasn't able to make it on sunday sorry, I had a last minute commitment, oh well no worries eh. Sunday's are soo soo hectic for me or else I would be more involved with the FP demo. I have heaps of leaflets, stickers and cards!